Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Burrow Wrist Injury
(11-21-2023, 05:01 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Tom Brady was recently quoted as saying "QBs need to learn to protect themselves against defensive players, its not the NFLs job to do that". 

Burrow should give Brady a call for tips on extending his career and protecting himself. Brady was a master of "going down softly" if/when the pressure got to him. 

I know Burrow's play style is different - he likes to get mobile to extend plays - but he could 100% learn to "fall and get tackled" better. 

I saw that quote. I think he was talking about the whole offense needing to protect themselves. But Burrow definitely could use a bit of that mentality. 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 05:31 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What’s the diagnosis? Which ligament?

Not 100% on this but Jay Glazer mentioned the middle of the hand ligament over the weekend which my daughter instantly said sounded like a scapholunate tear which I guess is common? She said it was like a severe wrist sprain.

But this is all guess work on her part and I know nothing about the medical profession other than I get high blood pressure when in a hospital. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 03:39 PM)Foolishpride Wrote: Heard any updates on when the surgery was going to take place, and who would be performing it?

I believe Lap said he’s likely to have surgery next week.

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 05:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Not 100% on this but Jay Glazer mentioned the middle of the hand ligament over the weekend which my daughter instantly said sounded like a scapholunate tear which I guess is common? She said it was like a severe wrist sprain.

But this is all guess work on her part and I know nothing about the medical profession other than I get high blood pressure when in a hospital. 

Dr. Chao Gives Injury Analysis: Joe Burrow’s Wrist Bones Shifted Due to Sack by Jadeveon Clowney - Sports Illustrated Bleav News, Analysis and More
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 05:38 PM)Synric Wrote: Not 100% on this but Jay Glazer mentioned the middle of the hand ligament over the weekend which my daughter instantly said sounded like a scapholunate tear which I guess is common? She said it was like a severe wrist sprain.

Thats the one. 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 05:59 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Dr. Chao Gives Injury Analysis: Joe Burrow’s Wrist Bones Shifted Due to Sack by Jadeveon Clowney - Sports Illustrated Bleav News, Analysis and More

He (Dr Chao) said next year no issues… but you posted earlier 9-12 months.
Reply/Quote
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24096898/#:~:text=Conclusions%3A%20A%20majority%20(approximately%2080,undergoing%20a%20scapholunate%20ligament%20reconstruction.

Abstract

Background: The aim of this study was to determine the outcomes in relation to return-to-play in professional athletes who had undergone a delayed scapholunate ligament reconstruction.

Methods: We searched our prospectively managed database and identified 15 professional athletes who had undergone the modified Brunelli procedure for scapholunate instability. They were contacted to complete a telephone interview. We established the duration between the operation and return-to-play, the level of competition before and after the procedure and if applicable, reasons for reduction in the level of competition.

Results: Between 2008 and 2011, 15 professional male athletes underwent the modified Brunelli procedure. One was lost to follow-up and 14 athletes (11 rugby, 2 boxing and 1 golf) were contactable. The mean age of the patients was 30 years (range 18-42). The mean follow-up period was 25 months (range 3-43). Eleven of the 14 (79%) athletes returned to play within 4 months of surgery. By the final review, 9 of the 14 (64%) athletes had returned to play at their preinjury level of competition.

Conclusions: A majority (approximately 80%) of professional athletes return to competitive playing within 4 months of undergoing a scapholunate ligament reconstruction. Approximately two-thirds return to play at their preinjury level of competition.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 06:05 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: He (Dr Chao) said next year no issues… but you posted earlier 9-12 months.

He said no issues, ortho guy on the radio said 9-12 months. 

I honestly think it depends on severity. Is it just torn? Is it a complete rupture? That matters. At this point, we have no idea if its just torn if its full on rupture.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 06:08 PM)Bengalbug Wrote: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24096898/#:~:text=Conclusions%3A%20A%20majority%20(approximately%2080,undergoing%20a%20scapholunate%20ligament%20reconstruction.

Abstract

Background: The aim of this study was to determine the outcomes in relation to return-to-play in professional athletes who had undergone a delayed scapholunate ligament reconstruction.

Methods: We searched our prospectively managed database and identified 15 professional athletes who had undergone the modified Brunelli procedure for scapholunate instability. They were contacted to complete a telephone interview. We established the duration between the operation and return-to-play, the level of competition before and after the procedure and if applicable, reasons for reduction in the level of competition.

Results: Between 2008 and 2011, 15 professional male athletes underwent the modified Brunelli procedure. One was lost to follow-up and 14 athletes (11 rugby, 2 boxing and 1 golf) were contactable. The mean age of the patients was 30 years (range 18-42). The mean follow-up period was 25 months (range 3-43). Eleven of the 14 (79%) athletes returned to play within 4 months of surgery. By the final review, 9 of the 14 (64%) athletes had returned to play at their preinjury level of competition.

Conclusions: A majority (approximately 80%) of professional athletes return to competitive playing within 4 months of undergoing a scapholunate ligament reconstruction. Approximately two-thirds return to play at their preinjury level of competition.

Good shit right there. 
Reply/Quote

[Image: ulno.jpg]

That’s so nonspecific it isn’t useful information. (The ACL and MCL are both in the “middle” of the knee.)

I’ve seen two different orthopedists report two different tears; a scapholunate tear and a TFCC tear. But, I haven’t seen anything official.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 06:15 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: [Image: ulno.jpg]

That’s so nonspecific it isn’t useful information.

I’ve seen two different orthopedists report two different tears; a scapholunare tear and a TFCC tear. But, I haven’t seen anything official.

I’m no expert, but I did have a nasty wrist injury. in addition to the extreme ligament strain I had (luckily not torn), there was a high degree of uncertainty for me as the bones looked to have shifted.

For Joe, beyond just the ligament, they need to ensure that all the bones are in place. It’s like a jigsaw puzzle.

The biggest reason I kept agreeing to go down the path for myself was the real fear that your wrist will continue to deteriorate over time. Eventually 5, 10, 20, ?? Years later the consequences will show up. FWIW, it’s been 11 months for me and I still don’t have full strength and mobility. I can do all exercises, at full strength, with a neutral grip. A pronated grip causes me fits still. Not during the exercise, but the following days is brutal.

Good for Joe, he will have his pick of the litter as far as who he uses. Unlucky for Joe, he has to have the surgery.
Reply/Quote

I saw this and thought it was funny. But I am worried wrists could be complicated. Hopefully no complications.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 05:09 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Eifert isn't a good comparison in my opinion. We do need to step back and look at these injuries. 
His rookie year we have him start behind a trash oline I have coworkers telling me they're going to get him killed. What do the Bengals? Have him pass twice as much as we run literally. Not only that but the play he gets hurt on was a 3rd and 15 (or close) by our own end zone. A play a lot of coaches will take some medicine and either hand it off or dump it off. What do we do with a trash oline it a game he's getting lit up also a game that has absolutely No meaning we try and go for it.

Now sure this year it was his wrist that did him. But after the calf and when he's immobile we change nothing, nothing and I repeat nothing. We still go out there and ask him to throw it twice as much as we run literally. 

Then the calf issue in camp. Someone brought up his Appendix and how it burst. I'm no doctor but the point they were making is the appendix rarely just bursts out of nowhere (I may be very wrong on that) the point is was Burrow ignoring pain. If so we may need to really look at how we approach his injuries. His calf was tight and that's it? Turned out to be more than that. Then I know I've seen him flexing his hand in a fist. I just wonder if he was dealing with some discomfort and blowing it off. 

I realize now that was alot. But I think we tend to forget things later if things turn out all right. But looking back I'm not so sure the Bengals have not put Burrow in some very bad situations. Then they all get a pass because Burrow got hurt and we'll just have to give it another try next year.

Tyler was a good comparison,  both healthy in college, but hurt numerous times in their early nfl career with some season ending, pretty simple to me. 
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 10:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Tyler was a good comparison,  both healthy in college, but hurt numerous times in their early nfl career with some season ending, pretty simple to me. 

The difference with Tyler is purely positional. One of his injuries came from a Ravens player diving in and hitting his plant arm when he was going down which isn't even allowed on QBs. Then another was he got hip drop tackle by a DE I think in a game against the Falcons. I guess my point really is that QBs are protected much more than other player groups. So a team can limit the hits they take with play style.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 05:59 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Dr. Chao Gives Injury Analysis: Joe Burrow’s Wrist Bones Shifted Due to Sack by Jadeveon Clowney - Sports Illustrated Bleav News, Analysis and More

So will this end the investigation nonsense?

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 10:54 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: The difference with Tyler is purely positional. One of his injuries came from a Ravens player diving in and hitting his plant arm when he was going down which isn't even allowed on QBs. Then another was he got hip drop tackle by a DE I think in a game against the Falcons. I guess my point really is that QBs are protected much more than other player groups. So a team can limit the hits they take with play style.

I don;t have stats to back this up but it sure still seems starting QBs go down way more than starting TEs mostly because QBs are involved more in every play than a starting TE. but again my main point was college is different than the NFL, no way in college on average do very good QBs face the pressures/sacks at QB than NFL Qbs do, so when people try to equate college play vs nfl play it is not a great comparison .
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 06:13 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: He said no issues, ortho guy on the radio said 9-12 months. 

I honestly think it depends on severity. Is it just torn? Is it a complete rupture? That matters. At this point, we have no idea if its just torn if its full on rupture.

I heard that too, was on Mo Egger show 
Reply/Quote
Wondering if the broken bone had had in that wrist will impact anything? Sure feels like another preseason with our QB.. , ive not been a big proponent in going on having to spend $$ on an experienced backup but with Burrow and injuries etc, I might be changing my mind unless Browning shines end of year
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2023, 10:45 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Tyler was a good comparison,  both healthy in college, but hurt numerous times in their early nfl career with some season ending, pretty simple to me. 

Burrow was hurt numerous times throughout college. One of the reasons he never saw the field until 2018. His injury history is extensive.

This is a significant injury to his throwing wrist. We won't see Burrow on the field until September 2024. I get folks wishful thinking but a minimum 4 weeks was never realistic. These wrist injuries are tricky.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2023, 11:45 AM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Wondering if the broken bone had had in that wrist will impact anything?  Sure feels like another preseason with our QB.. , ive not been a big proponent in going on having to spend $$ on an experienced backup but with Burrow and injuries etc, I might be changing my mind unless Browning shines end of year

Broken bones heal way quicker than tendons and ligaments do.
Reply/Quote