Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow/Young
(12-17-2019, 07:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I don’t think that would be enough. Look at the haul the Bears had to trade to go up one spot for Trubisky.

It’s probably not but would putting together an acceptable package be worthwhile to a competent owner?
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 08:41 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It’s probably not but would putting together an acceptable package be worthwhile to a competent owner?

Eh, there’s plenty to criticize Mike Brown about, I’m not going to get on him over not putting together some insane mega package to land the #1 and #2 pick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 08:41 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: It’s probably not but would putting together an acceptable package be worthwhile to a competent owner?

I don't think its possible for there to be such a trade anywhere in the past or future of any team. These two players, while they are the cream of this years draft, would cost so much it would do just the opposite of what we need. What I would like to consider is that another team would want Burrow so bad that we could get either multiple first rounders (Miami) or established starting players and future picks. I believe that would speed up the rebuild rather than taking one player.
Reply/Quote
I have changed my tune. Take the QB.

Side note: if Burrow and Herbert (or whomever) are close and a trade down to Miami is there or someone wants to give up a ton of picks and the Bengals still get their guy then, YES, trade.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 08:48 AM)PDub80 Wrote: I have changed my tune. Take the QB.

Side note: if Burrow and Herbert (or whomever) are close and a trade down to Miami is there or someone wants to give up a ton of picks and the Bengals still get their guy then, YES, trade.

You really need to change that avatar, my man lol

Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 09:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, there’s plenty to criticize Mike Brown about, I’m not going to get on him over not putting together some insane mega package to land the #1 and #2 pick.

I didn’t mean that as he wasn’t competent for not putting together a package, I was just highlighting that I don’t know what it’s like to have a competent owner and how they think. Obviously, it wouldn’t even be a thought to Mike. I’m also trying to ask if moving up to the second pick would be worth a package to the Bengals this year.
Reply/Quote
(12-17-2019, 10:01 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I don't think its possible for there to be such a trade anywhere in the past or future of any team. These two players, while they are the cream of this years draft, would cost so much it would do just the opposite of what we need. What I would like to consider is that another team would want Burrow so bad that we could get either multiple first rounders (Miami) or established starting players and future picks. I believe that would speed up the rebuild rather than taking one player.

I agree that they need help at multiple positions. I was just trying to think outside of the box for projected extreme quality over quantity. The price to also land number 2 would probably be too high though. I just know how the Bengals draft guys 2 Rounds early, project players and recently injured players.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 01:36 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I agree that they need help at multiple positions. I was just trying to think outside of the box for projected extreme quality over quantity.

Yeah we are Bengals fans we can't do much as far as reality but at least we can dream. We used to do our dreaming in the off season but we got an early start this year.
Reply/Quote
Burrow is the real deal. The guy will grow into his body and only get better if he continues with the same work ethic. I have seen a lot of QB's in my day, but he is going to smash every single-season record by a large margin and the guy throws walk-off touchdowns which is the coolest thing I have ever seen.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:25 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Clemson will easily be the best offense OSU has faced this year.  Studs at all skill positions, and a top shelf QB.  Clemson’s defense will also be the best D the Bucks have seen.

Yep, Clemson is legit. Again.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-15-2019, 08:25 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Clemson will easily be the best offense OSU has faced this year. Studs at all skill positions, and a top shelf QB. Clemson’s defense will also be the best D the Bucks have seen.

Same could be said of Ohio State with Clemson. Clemson hasn’t played anyone this year as good as PSU, ttun, or Wisky, let alone the Buckeyes.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 09:48 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: There’s also the distinct possibility Chase Young decides to not declare for the draft and stays at Ohio State for his senior year.  As a Buckeye fan and an Ohio State alumnus I hope this happens but the Bengals fan in me wants him in orange and black as soon as possible.

Factor in the $ for the top pick, and some injury risk.Young is pretty sure to DECLARE

Fields, mentioned earlier is likely NOT in this draft. I DO like his outlook.  I'd note, the Bengals twice went to the Super Bowl, led by QB's  who were NOT rd 1.   Both times... the Bengals  lost to Joe Montana, who had been a Rd 3 pick.The Bengals DID draft QB's in the 1st Rd.  Akili Smith, David Kliingler, Jack Thompson. NONE a success.  Carson Palmer...well he was at least a decent starter.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 10:51 PM)redwood Wrote: Factor in the $ for the top pick, and some injury risk.Young is pretty sure to DECLARE

Fields, mentioned earlier is likely NOT in this draft. I DO like his outlook.  I'd note, the Bengals twice went to the Super Bowl, led by QB's  who were NOT rd 1.   Both times... the Bengals  lost to Joe Montana, who had been a Rd 3 pick.The Bengals DID draft QB's in the 1st Rd.  Akili Smith, David Kliingler, Jack Thompson. NONE a success.  Carson Palmer...well he was at least a decent starter.

IF -- and that's a big IF -- Chase Young declares his eligibility for the draft, I think that's the way to go.  Like you, I too am a bit gun-shy about going for a quarterback in Round One, even if it's Joe Burrow who I really like or Jalen Hurts who I think might be among the most underrated quarterbacks in the 2020 draft class.

Here's my fear:  I know Mike Brown loves a big arm quarterback and, as BengalFan74 has written so eloquently, Mikey Boy has been looking for his Otto Graham since 1991. I'm afraid Mike will insist on drafting Joe Burrow, succeed in doing so, think he's solved everything with one pick, then throws in the towel and drafts a bunch of "projects" in the other six rounds.  You mentioned Carson Palmer being drafted in 2003 but he ended up with an overall losing record in Cincinnati.  I might argue the best pick in the 2003 draft was NOT Carson Palmer but guard Eric Steinbach in the second round or Jeremi Johnson, the last true Cincinnati fullback, in the fourth round.

Mikey Boy is quarterback-centric because that's the position he played at Dartmouth.  Having a great signal caller is vital to a team's success* but right now the Bengals are not full of talent on offense -- and no, I'm not just talking about the offensive line.  People ask what happened to Andy Dalton after his stellar season in 2015 and I always answer the same: Dalton didn't get worse.  In 2015 he had Andrew Whitworth, Clint Boling, and Kevin Zeitler on the offensive line and by 2019 these guys were gone -- along with Mohamed Sanu, Marvin Jones, Jermaine Gresham, and Jerome Simpson -- as well as the injured AJ Green and the oft-injured Tyler Eifert. 

If the Bengals draft Joe Burrow or Jalen Hurts they better THINK hard and draft, trade for, and develop via free agency an entire offense around them.  Joe Burrow wasn't the great player he became until Coach Ed Orgeron at LSU built the offense around his strengths.  In the pro ranks, the same can be said of Lamar Jackson in Baltimore; recently he was put in the game for "gimmick" plays while Joe Flacco took a breather but Greg Roman, the Ravens' offensive coordinator, intelligently retooled their entire offense around Lamar Jackson's natural abilities.

I'm not sure Zac Taylor or Brian Callahan have that in them!  If the Bengals draft a quarterback, the team has to make the commitment to retool the offense around their existing skills, not try to "morph" them into something they're not. 

*Unless you're the 2000 Baltimore Ravens with a shutdown defense; then even Trent Dilfer will do.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2019, 09:14 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You really need to change that avatar, my man lol

LOL!

I wear it as a scarlet letter.
Reply/Quote
We've had good offenses the last decade or so with Palmer, Chad, TJ, Rudi, AJ, Andy, Mixon, etc. So I'm gonna go with a change and build a team that has the meanest, best Defense this organization has ever seen and hope that with our average offense and killer defense, we get a playoff like many teams have accomplished.
Reply/Quote
(12-20-2019, 10:49 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: We've had good offenses the last decade or so with Palmer, Chad, TJ, Rudi, AJ, Andy, Mixon, etc.  So I'm gonna go with a change and build a team that has the meanest, best Defense this organization has ever seen and hope that with our average offense and killer defense, we get a playoff like many teams have accomplished.

Usually I am right with you but QB's like Burrow don't come around often. Our Offense has been terrible the last few
years, one of if not the worst in the NFL. We need to keep up and keep our Defense off the field and fresh to make 
them better. We still have a lot of good to great players on Defense and are relatively young.

Improved Linebacker play and a more aggressive scheme with our Secondary and Defense overall and we are good.

Chase Young is a great player and I would love to have him but I don't know if he fits as much what we need as does
Joe Burrow.
Reply/Quote