Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Burrow doesn't move well in the pocket
You don't seem to understand. When you're unable to step up in the pocket, when the Defensive ends are getting pressure, there's not many options you can take. Our right side of our O-line is completely garbage, and our Center is very average.
Reply/Quote
Coming off a devastating right knee injury, which was clearly hurting after one of the sacks, while having a left knee injury that has lingered several weeks, I'd say he is moving rather well.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 11:58 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: No he’s fine. Y’all’s OL is absolutely terrible

^ this, sadly
Reply/Quote
It's just irritating seeing the line fall apart and instead of him trying to run (like Wilson would do, for example) he just turns around, turtles up, and freezes. He's done it countless times this season.
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:56 AM)Adamantium Wrote: It's just irritating seeing the line fall apart and instead of him trying to run (like Wilson would do, for example) he just turns around, turtles up, and freezes. He's done it countless times this season.

Dude's knees aren't 100% no matter what he says. He's doing damn good with a broken body lol.

I think he'll learn how and when to throw the ball away (out of bounds or uncatchable) instead of a sack, and we'll be just that much better.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:56 AM)Adamantium Wrote: It's just irritating seeing the line fall apart and instead of him trying to run (like Wilson would do, for example) he just turns around, turtles up, and freezes. He's done it countless times this season.

Well, he’s coming off a knee injury, running is hard on the knee, plus you can be tackled awkwardly and have a chance to hurt it again. He’d rather turtle up, take the sack. Not turnover the ball, and have another shot.

But really if you watch. He has escaped several defenders this year, gotten to the outside and passed for completions.
Reply/Quote
I keep coming back, and it’s like the ignorant comments about playing QB just keep buildout.
Reply/Quote
This thread doesn’t deserve serious responses, but a lot of those sacks there was no opportunity to “run” anywhere. The rushers were on him instantaneously. What he didn’t do was panic and start chucking interceptions, or cough the ball up when he got hit.

We should be commending his toughness to be able to stand in there and throw for 350 yds and complete 75% of his passes, not shitting on him for being unable to evade a pass rush that mostly came right up the gut.

Reply/Quote
The Titans Simmons and Autry are probably the best interior pass rushering duo in the NFL. There were no escape lanes when the interior pocket clapses and the edges are in there rush lanes. That is why the Titans front 4 are so good. That said the Bengals vs Titans interior line was a nightmare especially Simmons and Autry vs Hakeem Adeniji.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 11:48 PM)Adamantium Wrote: He doesn't seem to move well. It's like he's got bricks on his feet. Not to mention when the line falls apart he just sort of turtles up and waits to be hit. He doesn't try to run much, and he doesn't get away when he does. And when he does, he's slooooow. Granted, I'm not expecting him to move like Wilson or Allen, but damn... this is proving to be his one big flaw. With better movement some of those sacks wouldn't have happened.

What do you expect him to blink his eyes like I Dream Of Jeannie and disappear when he's getting bombarded from every angle?

Here let me see if I can do that.... *blink*.  ........damn your post is still here...
Reply/Quote
Where is he supposed to run when he is getting pressure from both the left and right side of the O-line? He had nowhere to run. And you want him to rollout? where? to the right or left side where the defense is getting through the tackles. This O-line is simple not good and when Burrow gets hit, he is trying to protect the ball and not allow the defense to strip it. Get some better talent on the O-line like K.C. did in the offseason and this offense will be unstoppable.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 12:04 AM)Au165 Wrote: This is one of the worst threads I’ve read this season and that’s saying something.

Not only that but the timing is absurd. The Bengals' elite QB just help lead his team to their first road playoff win in history and here's a topic about how slow he is in the pocket.  Sacked nine times, he threw for 350 yards, barely escaped with his life and a second playoff win and someone's big takeaway is how sloth-like Joe is in the pocket. Incredible!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 11:48 PM)Adamantium Wrote: He doesn't seem to move well. It's like he's got bricks on his feet. Not to mention when the line falls apart he just sort of turtles up and waits to be hit. He doesn't try to run much, and he doesn't get away when he does. And when he does, he's slooooow. Granted, I'm not expecting him to move like Wilson or Allen, but damn... this is proving to be his one big flaw. With better movement some of those sacks wouldn't have happened.

I remember my first beer.  
Reply/Quote
Mahomes has good running ability, right? Mobile QB if their is one. Saw what happened in the Super Bowl when he had no O-line help? The fact that the Bengals continue to win despite the parking lot curbs on the O-Line just shows how impressive Burrow is.

Let us not forget that he has been a tackling dummy back their, yet has not been fumbling the ball. Half the QB in the league drop the ball when hit like Joe has been.

That's my quarterback!
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote

Let's get him an actual O line THEN make that determination.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 12:03 AM)phil413 Wrote: He moves well enough but you can tell he hates throwing it away. So much so that when it's the right play he still believes in himself too much so.  Even the greats have to throw it away when a rusher is bearing down and he can't take a sack.  I think it happened at least twice tonight to take them out of FG range.  He is amazing but that's one change to make going forward.

Where is he suppose to throw the ball without getting a penalty for IG which takes them out of FG position anyways.  He had no where to go on 7 of those sacks. People need to learn rules.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 12:00 AM)Synric Wrote: 3rd string Guard and 2nd string tackle on the left on a shallow offensive line will cause that...

True but even so it's seems almost impossible to be that bad.  Geez at least get in they way.  They looked like matadors.

The right side of the line should give their paychecks to Burrow this week, buy his dinners, rub his feet, whatever.  That was downright pathetic.
Reply/Quote
There's gotta be a pocket to move in first.
Reply/Quote

The guy is working on two bad knees right now and you want him to run? He has the best receiving corp in the league and he's waiting on these guys to run their routes and let the routes develop. There were a couple of those sacks that closed up very quickly when he was waiting on those routes to develop.

There's absolutely no where for him to go on those other sacks. I've read posts by people that want him to just throw the ball away but they don't understand you get intentional grounding which takes you out of field goal range anyways.
Reply/Quote
Crazy thread. Watch the first few games of the season compared to now and you'll see Burrow has improved in the pocket: he's stepping in the pocket to make throws, effortlessly sidesteps pass rushers, and protects the ball more often than not when he knows the sack is coming.

Yes, yesterday was brutal in terms of how many times Burrow got sacked but now isn't the time to question his pocket movement.
Reply/Quote