Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Burrow doesn't move well in the pocket
(01-23-2022, 02:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I would complain about him standing on his spot too long, looking for something downfield, causing a sack.

But to your point...when a QB does what Burrow has done so far, he's earned the right to be excused. 

I was a lot more critical of him last night as i was watching the game, then i watched the replay and realized the Titans D played a very good game and confused them more than anyone else this year. I'm even giving the line a break because on a pure 4 man rush, the Titans didn't really have very much success. It's when they brought a 5th guy or dropped one of the Dline and brought a LB that caused most of the trouble. 

Vrabel is a hell of a coach. And Shane Bowen called a fantastic game. They literally did everything they could to stop Burrow, but it obviously wasn’t enough.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 02:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Vrabel is a hell of a coach. And Shane Bowen called a fantastic game. They literally did everything they could to stop Burrow, but it obviously wasn’t enough.

Yup. Your typical Bengals fan is only going to see all the sacks and yell "oline sucks!!!". Now, they definitely need to focus on and upgrade the line but they're going to get more heat for yesterday than they deserve due to the great gameplan by the Titans and Joe holding the ball too long and Zac not adjusting and using the back out of the backfield or some shorter crossing routes more often.

Double kudos to Burrow for getting sacked that often and going "whatever. how 'bout this dime here". Only one other QB in NFL playoff history has won a game being sacked that often.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 11:30 AM)Interceptor Wrote: NAAAAWWWWWW!!! You sure about that? What gave it away? Those 9 sacks? Dang, you smart! Have a cookie.  Smirk

That Titan's front four played it correctly. They contained Burrow and we're not pushed back all the way behind 10-15 yards past like what the Chiefs did to our DEs. That 4-man line rushed so fast that our OLine could not get any leverage.

Your OL can’t get any leverage against a college team. Horrible.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Doesn’t change the fact that what happened yesterday is exactly what some of us kept telling you Burrow was capable of.

Actually you claimed he would be able to avoid the rush and make plays outside of the pocket as a scrambler.

I really didn't see much of that yesterday.  Can you point out where I missed it?
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 03:06 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Your OL can’t get any leverage against a college team. Horrible.

You did not get a chance to see it very much yesterday, but the Bengals were DEAD LAST in the league in running the ball in short yardage situations.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 03:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually you claimed he would be able to avoid the rush and make plays outside of the pocket as a scrambler.

I really didn't see much of that yesterday.  Can you point out where I missed it?

Yesterday not so much. He did a ton of it down the stretch during the regular season though.

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 03:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually you claimed he would be able to avoid the rush and make plays outside of the pocket as a scrambler.

He only avoided the rush a couple times yesterday. 

Was that the only game he's ever played in the NFL?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 03:06 PM)LSUfaninTN Wrote: Your OL can’t get any leverage against a college team. Horrible.

And yet we still found a way to win. /end
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote

Dalton would have been better than burrow yesterday, right?
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:03 PM)kalibengal Wrote: did you watch the game..seriously??
He had zero escape options due to the leaky Oline he has in front of him.It was a jailbreak everytime it seemed.  If you watched all season long, he has shown IMO very good escapability....but last night was something not even Mahomes, Wilson or Allen would have done well with. It was one of the worst if not THE worst performances  by an O line pass protecting I can recall ever..and I have watching NFL games since 1975. The only one that sticks out to me is one with SD Chargers VS Raiders maybe 10 yrs ago? Chargers were wrecking the Raiders and Shawn Merriman and co were living in the back field ....the diff was the QBs.  Fortunately we have one thats unfazed...imagine if this happened with Andy or Palmer..do you think we still win?.  

And Credit to Joey B, he gets pounded for 9 sacks, still comes back time after time unrattled and then drops that dime to Chase...not alot of QBs out there that would have been able to do this.  Unlike yrs past, its  great feeling you know your QB is always up for the challenge whatever it maybe.

Yep  In the SB last year the offensive line blocking by KC mirrored cinci.from last night, or close it in pressure and, ironically,The Great Houdini that you mentioned above in Pat Mahomes was basically useless even in his innate ability to escape that past rush.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 03:24 PM)Pokeyriver Wrote: Dalton would have been better than burrow yesterday, right?

Damn bro, Andy **** your sister or something? Two posts and they're both bashing a dude that hasn't played here in two years. Let it go.....

Thread premise is trash, BTW.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 10:56 AM)higgy100 Wrote: Where is he suppose to throw the ball without getting a penalty for IG which takes them out of FG position anyways.  He had no where to go on 7 of those sacks. People need to learn rules.

Please don't think I meant he should have been able to avoid all 9.  Sacks 5, 7 and a lesser degree 8 and 9 he had a shot, but sacks 5 and 7 I believe were the ones I called out.  

Burrow has elite instincts and knows what the defense is capable of.  He knows the speed of the game and what he has to surrender in that situation.  Again, he shouldn't be put in that position, but he can keep 3 pts for money McPherson if he rolls to either side and throws it away after the rush was closing in.

We can have both a poor pass protection to blame and a genius QB that knows better on a few if them, those aren't exclusive. It could be the one or two throw aways that help win the next one, no matter if he shouldn't have to worry about getting sacked 9 times. You have to admire his unreal resilience, but I'm sure he and the staff talked about those two plays in film already. Even with pathetic blocking the staff needs to work on quicker reads, slide protection or rolling him out on those specific 3rd and don't get sacked plays or you give up 3pts.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 11:48 PM)Adamantium Wrote: He doesn't seem to move well. It's like he's got bricks on his feet. Not to mention when the line falls apart he just sort of turtles up and waits to be hit. He doesn't try to run much, and he doesn't get away when he does. And when he does, he's slooooow. Granted, I'm not expecting him to move like Wilson or Allen, but damn... this is proving to be his one big flaw. With better movement some of those sacks wouldn't have happened.

Y’all’s O line is truly horrible.  Bengals need to get a couple of FAs this off season to block for BDJ and draft O line with first 4 draft picks. It’s truly that bad. Fix the line and you are looking at 2/3 Lombardi trophies over the next decade. 
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 01:26 AM)Monroelegend Wrote: Y’all’s O line is truly horrible.  Bengals need to get a couple of FAs this off season to block for BDJ and draft O line with first 4 draft picks. It’s truly that bad. Fix the line and you are looking at 2/3 Lombardi trophies over the next decade. 

Yet w'all's in the AFC championship game. 
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 11:48 PM)Adamantium Wrote: He doesn't seem to move well. It's like he's got bricks on his feet. Not to mention when the line falls apart he just sort of turtles up and waits to be hit. He doesn't try to run much, and he doesn't get away when he does. And when he does, he's slooooow. Granted, I'm not expecting him to move like Wilson or Allen, but damn... this is proving to be his one big flaw. With better movement some of those sacks wouldn't have happened.

I'm sorry, but this is maybe the most stupid and most negative post ever.  The Bengals are in the AFC Championship, and Burrow got them there.  I hope in off season Bengals get him more Blocking.  This O Line was the worst O Line in NFL from 2017 to 2020. It is better in 2021, but it still needs better Blockers.  Losing Reiff HURT.  He gave us the Bookend good Tackles.  Prince tries, but he is no Reiff. 

Burrow took over the last place Bengals and in his second year has them in the AFC Championship Game.  Anybody that doesn't respect that is an Idiot. 

GO BENGALS

Who Dey 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 04:52 AM)kevin Wrote: I'm sorry, but this is maybe the most stupid and most negative post ever.  The Bengals are in the AFC Championship, and Burrow got them there.  I hope in off season Bengals get him more Blocking.  This O Line was the worst O Line in NFL from 2017 to 2020. It is better in 2021, but it still needs better Blockers.  Losing Reiff HURT.  He gave us the Bookend good Tackles.  Prince tries, but he is no Reiff. 

Burrow took over the last place Bengals and in his second year has them in the AFC Championship Game.  Anybody that doesn't respect that is an Idiot. 

GO BENGALS

Who Dey 

I'm trying to avoid the unnecessary wank and just look at things objectively. I want the Bengals to succeed just as much as you, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna overlook Burrow's shortcomings and make excuses. Shit o-line or not, there's no excuse for his complete lack of movement, or when he DOES move he runs STRAIGHT BACK losing us 12-15 yards at a time, usually taking us out of FG range. Rant

But yes, GO BENGALS
Tiger Tiger Tiger
Beat those damn chiefs
[Image: Kongmoving.gif] Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 05:13 AM)Adamantium Wrote: I'm trying to avoid the unnecessary wank and just look at things objectively. I want the Bengals to succeed just as much as you, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna overlook Burrow's shortcomings and make excuses. Shit o-line or not, there's no excuse for his complete lack of movement, or when he DOES move he runs STRAIGHT BACK losing us 12-15 yards at a time, usually taking us out of FG range. Rant

But yes, GO BENGALS
Tiger Tiger Tiger
Beat those damn chiefs

Then I have to point out you raved about Allen and Wilson, and neither of them are in the Championship Games this Sunday.  Burrow is.  Most of the NFL thinks Burrow is a damn good quarterback.  Bengals would not be in Championship without him, in fact they would have won 4 games or less without Burrow. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

The size of his cojones is weighing him down.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 03:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yup. Your typical Bengals fan is only going to see all the sacks and yell "oline sucks!!!". Now, they definitely need to focus on and upgrade the line but they're going to get more heat for yesterday than they deserve due to the great gameplan by the Titans and Joe holding the ball too long...

Why do some of you keep trying to push this idea these sacks are Joe's fault because he holds on to the ball too long?  You know the NFL keep stats on time to throw that show how quick a QB on average throws the ball after he gets the snap.  Burrow is top 10 so please stop with this continued nonsense that it is his fault because he just sits back there holding on to the ball all the time.  Its not true

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 09:45 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Why do some of you keep trying to push this idea these sacks are Joe's fault because he holds on to the ball too long?  You know the NFL keep stats on time to throw that show how quick a QB on average throws the ball after he gets the snap.  Burrow is top 10 so please stop with this continued nonsense that it is his fault because he just sits back there holding on to the ball all the time.  Its not true

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

He did hold it too long a couple of times but that's what he does to try and extend the play when a route doesn't open up immediately. Add in that the Titans confused him, probably, more than anyone this year and the fact that he simply had nowhere to escape to. 

The line got beat more than he held the ball but he's not blameless in all those sacks. 

Reply/Quote