Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Burrow doesn't move well in the pocket
There actually has to be a pocket in order to be able to move in it. That was the worst display of offensive line play I have ever seen by any team. Even the so called better players struggled.

There is no plan B for the left side of the line going forward nor is there a suitable plan B for Hopkins but the way that RG struggled why not try a substitute player a series or two and see if it improves. I understand working together is important for an offensive line but when things are as bad as they were I find it hard to believe Carmen, Smith, or Johnson would be any worse. Heck maybe even alternate series in an attempt to keep the defense off balance.
Reply/Quote
(01-22-2022, 11:48 PM)Adamantium Wrote: He doesn't seem to move well. It's like he's got bricks on his feet. Not to mention when the line falls apart he just sort of turtles up and waits to be hit. He doesn't try to run much, and he doesn't get away when he does. And when he does, he's slooooow. Granted, I'm not expecting him to move like Wilson or Allen, but damn... this is proving to be his one big flaw. With better movement some of those sacks wouldn't have happened.

NAAAAWWWWWW!!! You sure about that? What gave it away? Those 9 sacks? Dang, you smart! Have a cookie.  Smirk

That Titan's front four played it correctly. They contained Burrow and we're not pushed back all the way behind 10-15 yards past like what the Chiefs did to our DEs. That 4-man line rushed so fast that our OLine could not get any leverage.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 12:08 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Always have to have one in the crowd...

He is absolutely right. 

A lot of times Joe moves like he has a 300 lb weight on his back. 

You might point out that this is usually when he has a 300lb defender on his back, but some people have an excuse for everything when it comes to Burrow. 
Reply/Quote
He should have taken notes from Kyler Murray last weekend and just threw the ball up into the air..........
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He is absolutely right. 

You might point out that this is usually when he has a 300lb defender on his back, but some people have an excuse for everything when it comes to Burrow. 

This is just KILLING you isn’t it? LOL

Remember all the times you called people out for saying Burrow could win even without an OL…
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Burrow by now knows the NFL is way quicker than the heavenly slow college. He'll adjust and yes, it's probably his weakest point now. I don't think he doesn't know, rather, I think he likes to accomplish things and tries to keep extending the play as long as possible even if he goes down (sack). He'll rather try than just waste a play by dumping the ball. With experience, he'll get comfortable knowing when to dump the ball than take a sack (and yes, dumping the ball is a good thing too), all good QBs learn this.

The Titans were an upgraded D version of the raiders yesterday.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 12:09 AM)Foolishpride Wrote: You don't seem to understand.  When you're unable to step up in the pocket, when the Defensive ends are getting pressure, there's not many options you can take.  Our right side of our O-line is completely garbage, and our Center is very average.

Agree. While Burrow could be better how he handles pressure at times. He wants to step up to avoid the pressure but when you can't step up when you retreat you just help the DEs get lose. Burrow is more than adequate at buying himself time and I think all his other great qualities more than make up. We need to fix this Oline this off-season. 
Reply/Quote
did you watch the game..seriously??
He had zero escape options due to the leaky Oline he has in front of him.It was a jailbreak everytime it seemed. If you watched all season long, he has shown IMO very good escapability....but last night was something not even Mahomes, Wilson or Allen would have done well with. It was one of the worst if not THE worst performances by an O line pass protecting I can recall ever..and I have watching NFL games since 1975. The only one that sticks out to me is one with SD Chargers VS Raiders maybe 10 yrs ago? Chargers were wrecking the Raiders and Shawn Merriman and co were living in the back field ....the diff was the QBs. Fortunately we have one thats unfazed...imagine if this happened with Andy or Palmer..do you think we still win?.

And Credit to Joey B, he gets pounded for 9 sacks, still comes back time after time unrattled and then drops that dime to Chase...not alot of QBs out there that would have been able to do this. Unlike yrs past, its great feeling you know your QB is always up for the challenge whatever it maybe.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 12:33 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is just KILLING you isn’t it? LOL

Remember all the times you called people out for saying Burrow could win even without an OL…

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

It seems that EVERYONE now agrees with me that we have to improve our O-line to help Joe win.

What is your position on this?  Do we need to invest some resources in order to improve our O-line.  Or is Joe going to be fine with the one we have right now?
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 12:54 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Agree. While Burrow could be better how he handles pressure at times. He wants to step up to avoid the pressure but when you can't step up when you retreat you just help the DEs get lose. Burrow is more than adequate at buying himself time and I think all his other great qualities more than make up. We need to fix this Oline this off-season. 

The real problem is that the interior of the  defensive line was getting pressure on him. The defensive tackle last night had three sacks. If it was only defensive ends getting pressure on him then he could step up in the pocket as those  guys can sometimes lose contain but Tennessee gets to quarterbacks with a 4 man line and were second in the NFL on quarterback pressures with just their four men.

All four of those guys we're creating havoc. Again, there was simply nowhere for JB to go on almost every one. He possibly could have gotten rid of the ball a couple times while waiting for a play to develop.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no idea what you are trying to say.

It seems that EVERYONE now agrees with me that we have to improve our O-line to help Joe win.

What is your position on this?  Do we need to invest some resources in order to improve our O-line.  Or is Joe going to be fine with the one we have right now?

No one disagrees that he needs more OL help (thank you Capt Obvious).
And it's not like the Bengals completely ignored it in the 2021 FA/draft periods, it just didn't pan out as good as we hoped.

It will be addressed again in this next FA/draft. 

Chase was the best pick we could have made, he's completely put the Sewell vs Chase arguments to rest.
Get over it
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Of course they need to add some more pieces to the OL to have prolonged success.

Doesn’t change the fact that what happened yesterday is exactly what some of us kept telling you Burrow was capable of. He threw for 348 yards and completed 75.7% of his passes in a game where he was the most sacked QB in NFL playoff history.

Tip your hat to him FFS.

Reply/Quote
Move in the pocket? What pocket?

The bad news, in the next two games, opposing defenses will have a blueprint against our OL. The good news, it doesn't seem to matter.

When Burrow has a pocket, he moves around well in it. He steps up. But, even the announcers mentioned there was no room to step up.

Not just observations from yesterday, but all season. Either the scheme or Joey B seem to fall in love with the long ball. I get it. Chase and Higgins excel in those plays. But, Uzomah had a good day yesterday, too. Quick hits to him, getting the ball out of Burrow's hands quickly, works. Boyd, for some reason, was either ignored or not part of the scheme yesterday (at least I didn't see him). He's the timing/slot guy. Why he wasn't used more yesterday, I really don't know. Boyd and Uzomah certainly would have mitigated some of the pressure.
Reply/Quote
CAP.

He moves very well in a solid pocket. Actually better than all the Bengals QBs that Iv seen (31 years old).
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Isn't there some sort of intelligence requirement for creating a thread?
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:34 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Of course they need to add some more pieces to the OL to have prolonged success.

Doesn’t change the fact that what happened yesterday is exactly what some of us kept telling you Burrow was capable of. He threw for 348 yards and completed 75.7% of his passes in a game where he was the most sacked QB in NFL playoff history.

Tip your hat to him FFS.

Wait, we need to improve the O-line? I wish someone had said that before.... Hilarious Hilarious
Pretty amazing the stats he ended up having!!
Reply/Quote
Former Bengal Adam Jones told the truth.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2022/1/14/22883546/adam-pacman-jones-upgrading-from-andy-dalton-to-joe-burrow-is-why-these-bengals-are-different

“I’ve said Andy was nowhere near as good, as poised, as anything as Joe Burrow. Andy was a decent quarterback, a backup at his best, but Andy was what we had in Cincinnati. You can look back and try to flip times but it is what it is. Joe Burrow, he’s a winner."

Joe Burrow's pocket presence, for a Y2 Starter, is far above what it should be.

Yes, every QB creates sacks for themselves, but burrow absolutely helps this putrid offensive line in most cases.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 01:04 PM)higgy100 Wrote: The real problem is that the interior of the  defensive line was getting pressure on him. The defensive tackle last night had three sacks. If it was only defensive ends getting pressure on him then he could step up in the pocket as those  guys can sometimes lose contain but Tennessee gets to quarterbacks with a 4 man line and were second in the NFL on quarterback pressures with just their four men.

All four of those guys we're creating havoc. Again, there was simply nowhere for JB to go on almost every one. He possibly could have gotten rid of the ball a couple times while waiting for a play to develop.

Yeah I think Burrow could've done better on a couple of plays. But yeah I agree he couldn't step up because he was either getting a free rusher or just pressure up the middle. It puts him in a tough spot because its hard to back up or get outside because then you give the DE's angles to get pressure.
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 11:41 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He is absolutely right. 

I would complain about him standing on his spot too long, looking for something downfield, causing a sack.

But to your point...when a QB does what Burrow has done so far, he's earned the right to be excused. 

I was a lot more critical of him last night as i was watching the game, then i watched the replay and realized the Titans D played a very good game and confused them more than anyone else this year. I'm even giving the line a break because on a pure 4 man rush, the Titans didn't really have very much success. It's when they brought a 5th guy or dropped one of the Dline and brought a LB that caused most of the trouble. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Idiot
Reply/Quote