Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Burrow doesn't move well in the pocket
OP needs more reactions. Everyone do your part
Reply/Quote
In order to move in a pocket it requires a pocket to be created. Not 5 offense lineman 5 yards up field immediately bumping into Joe with no where for him to go but backwards. We were lacking some dump offs and quick slants to help him with the pressure. Anytime Joe had anytime what so ever he’s completing passes. To pass for over 300 yards and over 70 percent completion is super impressive with the pressure he was under. He could have taken a few of the sacks losing less yardage but that doesn’t support your argument since he was trying to get away. Tennessee defense was dominant, majority of QBs in the league loss that game. A select few help their team win it and I’m very grateful we have one of them.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:13 PM)C0de_M0nkey Wrote: OP needs more reactions. Everyone do your part

OK...I need some of what the OP is smokin'? Montana's Winters are looong!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 09:45 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Why do some of you keep trying to push this idea these sacks are Joe's fault because he holds on to the ball too long?  You know the NFL keep stats on time to throw that show how quick a QB on average throws the ball after he gets the snap.  Burrow is top 10 so please stop with this continued nonsense that it is his fault because he just sits back there holding on to the ball all the time.  Its not true

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

On 40 of his 60 sacks this year he's held the ball for over four seconds. That's way too long. Jalen Hurts is the worst in the league at 3.12. So yes, it is true. He holds onto the ball too long under duress and/or when his reads aren't open. You're just in denial. Coaches said it as much this week, he needs to get rid of the football and stop taking hits.
Reply/Quote
Burrow moves fine but there is rarely much of a pocket to move in and what pocket there is collapses very quickly.

Just get the man some protection soon because he is already completing a league leading 70% of his passes while under pressure constantly now.

Just think hw great he can become if protected.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
He moves well enough to get us to the AFC championship.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2022, 10:29 PM)AlphaBengal Wrote: On 40 of his 60 sacks this year he's held the ball for over four seconds. That's way too long. Jalen Hurts is the worst in the league at 3.12. So yes, it is true. He holds onto the ball too long under duress and/or when his reads aren't open. You're just in denial. Coaches said it as much this week, he needs to get rid of the football and stop taking hits.

Im not in denial.  The stats are there in plain black and white.  Burrow gets rid of the ball quicker than most QBs in the NFL.  That's a fact.  Stop trying to blame Burrow for his line being horrible.  I cant believe you are trying to blame Burrow for 40 sacks.   Thats absolutely ridiculous
Reply/Quote
What's with posts calling the Bengals "y'all"? You're either Bengals fans, or you don't post in Jungle Noise.

Yes, sometimes Joe holds the ball too long. Sometimes Backs/TEs miss assignments, and more than either of those scenarios...the line effs up. It can be all of the above. Averages mean squat. It's not black and white. Watch the games.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
My only complain about Burrow is, yeah he holds on to the ball at times trying to make a play.

Luckily our kicker has been golden (knock on wood), but giving up a sack and taking us out of field goal range is no bueno.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 02:20 AM)Wyche Wrote: What's with posts calling the Bengals "y'all"? You're either Bengals fans, or you don't post in Jungle Noise.

Yes, sometimes Joe holds the ball too long. Sometimes Backs/TEs miss assignments, and more than either of those scenarios...the line effs up. It can be all of the above. Averages mean squat. It's not black and white. Watch the games.

Couldn't have said it better myself. 
It's a team sport, we need everyone doing there job in order to succeed as a team. 
Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-23-2022, 12:06 AM)QueenCity Wrote: I've made myself two in the last couple weeks including this one.  I enjoy doing it not great by any means but if anyone has an idea and I got time I'll see what I can do..

Can you put McPherson on this ID and change McLovin to McMoney?

Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
While obviously Burrows mobility in the pocket being bad is just flat out incorrect, he's not going to outrun most defenders like Wilson or Allen can, and he's not even close to the mobility level of a lamar or Murray. But he's plenty quick enough to evade some defenders and run when he needs to.

As some have pointed out he's never trying to give up on the play and that has caused some memorable mishaps like the big sack for a loss that took the team out of fg range against the titans. But you accept that with some of the plays he's pulled off.

Slightly off topic, but does Burrows play remind anyone else of Romo? Neither have cannons but good enough arms to do whats needed, both have solid mobility burrow being better in that department, both liked looking for big plays and extending the plays leading to some unfortunate sacks and ints, though burrow has cleaned up on the ints substantially since the 1st half of the year.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 03:11 AM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: Can you put McPherson on this ID and change McLovin to McMoney?

Haha I love it!! I say SHOOTER McPHERSON Tongue

(01-27-2022, 03:27 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: While obviously Burrows mobility in the pocket being bad is just flat out incorrect, he's not going to outrun most defenders like Wilson or Allen can, and he's not even close to the mobility level of a lamar or Murray. But he's plenty quick enough to evade some defenders and run when he needs to.

As some have pointed out he's never trying to give up on the play and that has caused some memorable mishaps like the big sack for a loss that took the team out of fg range against the titans. But you accept that with some of the plays he's pulled off.

Slightly off topic, but does Burrows play remind anyone else of Romo? Neither have cannons but good enough arms to do whats needed, both have solid mobility burrow being better in that department, both liked looking for big plays and extending the plays leading to some unfortunate sacks and ints, though burrow has cleaned up on the ints substantially since the 1st half of the year.

Please don't compare Burrow to Romo! Haha just kidding, I can see your points but I think Burrow has a better arm and more athletic than Romo. Plus, knock on wood no butt fumble!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 03:39 AM)magikod Wrote: Haha I love it!! I say SHOOTER McPHERSON Tongue

Please don't compare Burrow to Romo! Haha just kidding, I can see your points but I think Burrow has a better arm and more athletic than Romo. Plus, knock on wood no butt fumble!  Hilarious

Butt fumble was Mark Sanchez, but I do agree Burrow is more athletic. Burrows season this year lines up very similarly stat wise to Romo 2014 year with the exception of yards and ints. Both had very high accuracy, y/a, tds, qb rating. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 04:04 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Butt fumble was Mark Sanchez, but I do agree Burrow is more athletic. Burrows season this year lines up very similarly stat wise to Romo 2014 year with the exception of yards and ints. Both had very high accuracy, y/a, tds, qb rating. 

bad field goal snap then lol

sorry im stoned XD 
not dogging romo either, he is a great color commentator  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 03:27 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: While obviously Burrows mobility in the pocket being bad is just flat out incorrect, he's not going to outrun most defenders like Wilson or Allen can, and he's not even close to the mobility level of a lamar or Murray. But he's plenty quick enough to evade some defenders and run when he needs to.

He's a little bigger than Kenny, but I think athletically, and overall too honestly that Burrow compares well to Kenny Anderson.  My favorite Bengals QB honestly.

I was very young, but Kenny could scoot!  I think Burrow is as about as quick and fast as Anderson was but against todays defenders it doesn't look like it.  Same with the arm strength, if memory serves, Walsh hand picked Anderson outta DIII Augustana when he was OC here right?  Then in San Fran, Joe Montana was his guy.  

I think Burrow compares favorably to Montana as well.  I think Burrow is a Bill Walsh prototype.  And that's a pretty dang good prototype to be.....exceedingly cerebral, athletic, high level leadership qualities, enough arm talent and technique to push the ball downfield effectively, but not such a cannon that in adrenaline inducing moments they're prone to overthrows, and ofc pocket presence and cajones come in handy as well.

Bill Walsh was a genius.  Maybe we were cursed by Walsh, who PB is known to have hated on so vexed he was that Walsh wasn't willing to watch the obviously inferior man get promoted because of tenure basically.

And the only way to break the curse of Walsh is with a QB who is molded to the specs he prefers.  Joey B is our guy, he's gotta be.
Being a Bengals fan is like being in love with a narcissist.  It's a brutal, emotionally abusive relationship but I never leave and just keep making excuses for them.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 04:11 AM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: He's a little bigger than Kenny, but I think athletically, and overall too honestly that Burrow compares well to Kenny Anderson.  My favorite Bengals QB honestly.

I was very young, but Kenny could scoot!  I think Burrow is as about as quick and fast as Anderson was but against todays defenders it doesn't look like it.  Same with the arm strength, if memory serves, Walsh hand picked Anderson outta DIII Augustana when he was OC here right?  Then in San Fran, Joe Montana was his guy.  

I think Burrow compares favorably to Montana as well.  I think Burrow is a Bill Walsh prototype.  And that's a pretty dang good prototype to be.....exceedingly cerebral, athletic, high level leadership qualities, enough arm talent and technique to push the ball downfield effectively, but not such a cannon that in adrenaline inducing moments they're prone to overthrows, and ofc pocket presence and cajones come in handy as well.

Bill Walsh was a genius.  Maybe we were cursed by Walsh, who PB is known to have hated on so vexed he was that Walsh wasn't willing to watch the obviously inferior man get promoted because of tenure basically.

And the only way to break the curse of Walsh is with a QB who is molded to the specs he prefers.  Joey B is our guy, he's gotta be.

Good post! +rep

Burrow does remind me a bit of Montana, def has the leadership abilities, the arm and technique. 

Don't get me started on the whole Bill Walsh saga lol.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 04:11 AM)Savagehenry54 Wrote: He's a little bigger than Kenny, but I think athletically, and overall too honestly that Burrow compares well to Kenny Anderson.  My favorite Bengals QB honestly.

Too young to have ever watched Anderson and I was 1 when Montana retired so I don't know how he compares play style to those two. I was have to go off of players I've watched and Romo came to mind. It may be and likely are players he compares more closely to. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 04:21 AM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Too young to have ever watched Anderson and I was 1 when Montana retired so I don't know how he compares play style to those two. I was have to go off of players I've watched and Romo came to mind. It may be and likely are players he compares more closely to. 

What  year were you born if you don't mind me asking?

1992 here  Rock On
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2022, 04:16 AM)magikod Wrote: Good post! +rep

Burrow does remind me a bit of Montana, def has the leadership abilities, the arm and technique. 

Don't get me started on the whole Bill Walsh saga lol.  Ninja

Yo it is what it is.

PB invented the basic techniques that every coaching staff of every football team still adheres to this day.....but he fubar'ed that Bill Walsh situation in a way that could not have been more catastrophic for this Bengals franchise.  Gotta give him points for the Forrest Gregg and Sam Wyche years tho.  Paul Brown was as outstanding of a football man that ever lived.  The 1A face on any "Mt. Rushmore" of the NFL with any integrity to it.

But that Bill Walsh thing tho, ugh!  An ugly smudge on an otherwise brilliant legacy.
Reply/Quote