Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
CONTRACT FINALIZED!!!
(09-07-2023, 10:16 PM)Nepa Wrote: Over the 7 years of this contract, it averages to $45 million per year. About 7 other QBs make over $45 million per year. The five-year extension is being banded about as record setting, and it is at $55 million per year, but the overall agreement for 7 years average to $45 million per year. I don't think we could have asked for more, as a fan. It is about as team friendly as one could expect.

Some others have mentioned this, and I looked into it to verify, but there isn’t seven years. With this extension, Burrow’s fifth year option is voided. This deal kicks in next season.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 10:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I "think" once a deal is done the Option year is void. So we get him this year on his rookie deal but the new contract kicks in next year, so he's here until 2029.

Guess I need to go ahead and get that jersey

From what I've heard and believe seen other teams do is pick up the 5th year before the deal is signed so it should be included assuming the Bengals pick up the option.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 10:19 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Some others have mentioned this, and I looked into it to verify, but there isn’t seven years. With this extension, Burrow’s fifth year option is voided. This deal kicks in next season.

Other teams have done this and it's been said the Bengals would do this. It may look that way now as it hasn't been picked up yet. But it should be picked up and count making it 7 years. 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 10:16 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: So his "team friendly" deal now is not taking a 100% guaranteed contract?  Is that the claim now? Demanding to be the highest paid player in the NFL at 55 million per and having 80% of your contract guaranteed is helping the team?  Burrow did not help the team at all with this deal.  He helped himself and limited what the team can do.  Maybe Higgins will do the team a favor and sign an extension for 26 million per year with only 75% guaranteed.

Extension is $55 million per year for 5 years. But there were the two existing years that need to be counted as well, giving a 7-year contract at $45 million per year. How do you measure highest paid QB? Mahomes has a contract for $450 million. That is a richer contract. Mahomes averages 45 million per year as well. I think Burrow helped the team as much as people are claiming Mahomes helped the team with his team-friendly contract. 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 10:16 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: So his "team friendly" deal now is not taking a 100% guaranteed contract? Is that the claim now? Demanding to be the highest paid player in the NFL at 55 million per and having 80% of your contract guaranteed is helping the team? Burrow did not help the team at all with this deal. He helped himself and limited what the team can do. Maybe Higgins will do the team a favor and sign an extension for 26 million per year with only 75% guaranteed.

Serious old man yells at cloud vibes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 09:38 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: “They’ll never be able to put the money in escrow”

Escrow bofa deez.

Not really sure that is even required. The Browns were awfully evasive when asked if they put Watson’s guaranteed money in escrow.
Reply/Quote
Best player makes the best money. With a good Oline these past few years, I’d have a replica Super Bowl ring in my case.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 10:19 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Some others have mentioned this, and I looked into it to verify, but there isn’t seven years. With this extension, Burrow’s fifth year option is voided. This deal kicks in next season.

Really? Goodberry was reporting: "Joe Burrow had 2 years and $41M remaining on his contract.

This extension will make the total remaining deal 7 years for $316M."

If that is not accurate, then yeah, this is not team friendly.
Reply/Quote
$300 million for a kid from Athens High School...........he will do great things for his family, friends and schools...........what a day for Bengal Fans......... go win us a Super Bowl Joey B !!!!
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 09:38 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I hope KC is not that much in our heads. 

I think that's the Bengals taunting the Chiefs. If the Chiefs or their fans are annoyed by it, it means the Bengals are in THEIR heads.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 10:22 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Other teams have done this and it's been said the Bengals would do this. It may look that way now as it hasn't been picked up yet. But it should be picked up and count making it 7 years. 

The Bengals picked up Burrows fifth year option earlier this off-season. This extension will now void it, to my understanding.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 10:22 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Not really sure that is even required. The Browns were awfully evasive when asked if they put Watson’s guaranteed money in escrow.

Didn’t need to go to escrow was just wired directly in to the accounts of Watson’s victims.
Reply/Quote

Spotrac has rhe years in and the numbers at rhe top but hasn't filled in year by year yet. They have it as 2023-2029 7 seasons. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/joe-burrow-47594/
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 10:23 PM)Nepa Wrote: Really? Goodberry was reporting: "Joe Burrow had 2 years and $41M remaining on his contract.

It is being reported by James Rapien that it is a 5 year extension from end of his current deal w 2 years left. By that math he said it was 7 years total.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 10:23 PM)Nepa Wrote: Really? Goodberry was reporting: "Joe Burrow had 2 years and $41M remaining on his contract.

until we see the actual breakdown of all the financials we will have no idea how friendly or not the contract is

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 10:25 PM)Synric Wrote: Spotrac has rhe years in and the numbers at rhe top but hasn't filled in year by year yet. They have it as 2023-2029 7 seasons. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/joe-burrow-47594/

Okay, then good to know. I was doing some research and was finding articles about fifth years being voided upon extensions. I must have been misunderstanding the articles.
Reply/Quote
We're just waiting for the details - things like signing bonus and other structural items. Then it can be assessed.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 10:24 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The Bengals picked up Burrows fifth year option earlier this off-season. This extension will now void it, to my understanding.

It's the way I thought it was earlier. but it appears I may have been mistaken. Below is the write up of Herbert's extension and it appears to take affect after the 5th year option:
https://www.nfl.com/news/justin-herbert-chargers-agree-to-five-year-262-5-million-extension

WTS: No one can spin this as "team-friendly" by JB. As I've always said it shouldn't be. It's a business
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Never thought for a second this wouldn’t eventually get done so I’m just glad it’s over and they can focus on football. The $ was going to be big so if that’s what it takes then so be it. Looks about right to me based on what others are getting.

As for “not helping the franchise” - almost single-handily resurrecting the entire organization and being the main reason they are a perennial Super Bowl contender sounds like helping the franchise to me.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2023, 10:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's the way I thought it was earlier. but it appears I may have been mistaken. Below is the write up of Herbert's extension and it appears to take affect after the 5th year option:
https://www.nfl.com/news/justin-herbert-chargers-agree-to-five-year-262-5-million-extension

WTS: No one can spin this as "team-friendly" by JB. As I've always said it shouldn't be. It's a business

Yeah, I’m reading information that still confuses me. I was just reading an article earlier this off-season by CBS sports that says Burrow’s fifth year option will be “irrelevant” as the Bengals will sign him to a new contract with traditional guarantees. I also remember someone talking about how they typically rip that option up and redo it when an extension happens. I could also just be misinterpreting these things though, but it’s hard to get information about this stuff. I do think the option is kept intact in some manner.
Reply/Quote