Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Carman at LT
Maybe I'm not the expert here like some of you, but Carman didn't look awful on Sunday.

Sure he didn't really get the chance to with the play calling, but Jonah was getting bull rushed BAD before he went down and Carman was able to at least slow that down a bit.

At least to my untrained eye.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2023, 11:30 AM)Big Boss Wrote: How did Scharping grade out?  From what I saw, he struggled a bit.

I dunno.  My more immediate concern is that our run game is now virtually non-existent, so defenses will know to key in on Burrow.  

Did you watch any highlights of the game?  Where do you get "non-existent?"
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:08 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: Maybe I'm not the expert here like some of you, but Carman didn't look awful on Sunday.

Sure he didn't really get the chance to with the play calling, but Jonah was getting bull rushed BAD before he went down and Carman was able to at least slow that down a bit.

At least to my untrained eye.

Not just the playcalling. Just didn't get much of a chance period. The Bengals only had 4 drives after Jonah got hurt near the end of the first half and the only first down they got on the final 3 of those 4 was a penalty on the punt.

Carman was in the game for 13 pass attempts (and a sack) and as you mentioned with the playcalling, only 2 of those were completed for more than 10 yards even including YAC.

There's just no way to know much of anything other than for the fourth straight game the Bengals forget how to play offense for half of a game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:15 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Did you watch any highlights of the game?  Where do you get "non-existent?"

We're 29th in the league in rushing offense.  Mixon had 11 carries for 39 yards on Sunday.

What would you call that?  
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I hope Carman works out. But it still makes me sick on whom the Bengals passed over to draft him.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:56 AM)ochocincos Wrote: You could notice Carman's anchor outside. Dude was difficult to push back.
His struggles will be with his lack of good athleticism to handle the faster guys.
Not nearly as bad as some probably thought he'd be, especially having to come in with so little reps at LT this season.
Hopefully this makeshift line now with a majority of backups doesn't doom the team.

You can tell Carman is still just really strong which is a great thing to have in a backup. Like you said, good anchor.

Speed rushers can still be a problem for him but he is a mauler in the run game. Honestly Scharping going against the Riddler
in Ed Oliver is my biggest concern even though I thought Scharping looked good at times, Oliver is damn good.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 01:36 PM)Big Boss Wrote: We're 29th in the league in rushing offense.  Mixon had 11 carries for 39 yards on Sunday.

What would you call that?  

I'd call that enough attempts and yards to keep the defense honest (though would still like to see more attempts.)
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 10:32 AM)Sled21 Wrote: He doesn't know the playbook. 

Take a look at this post from 12-29-2021:

(12-29-2021, 03:42 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: PFF year to date.  Top snap counts at each spot, then listed by snap counts.

QB:  Burrow:  91.4
RB:  Mixon: 80.8
WR:  Chase: 78.5
WR:  Higgins: 86.1
WR:  Boyd:  72.6
TE:  Uzomah:  61.9
LT:  Williams:  75.1
LG:  Spain:  72.4
C:  Hopkins:  50.8
RG:  Adeniji:  51.8
RT:  Reiff:  67.2
----------
TE:  Sample:  57.9
OG:  Carman:  52.7
OT:  Prince:  65.4 (excelled in jumbo packages)
RB:  Perine: 64.1
---------- 200 snaps-----
C:  Hill:  53.4
OG:  Su'a-Filo:  50.0
WR:  Tate:  69.6
--------100 snaps
WR:  Thomas:  66.7
WR:  Morgan Jr.:  57.8
OT:  Johnson:  80.9
RB:  Evans:  73.5

Fred Johnson played all offensive snaps for us in our game against Denver on 12-19-2021. That is a year and a month ago. Yes there will be additions to the playbook but it isn't like he has to learn a whole new system or anything. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 04:11 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Take a look at this post from 12-29-2021:

Fred Johnson played all offensive snaps for us in our game against Denver on 12-19-2021. That is a year and a month ago. Yes there will be additions to the playbook but it isn't like he has to learn a whole new system or anything. 

Yeah, FJ knows our playbook more than the other OT's people are listing.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 04:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, FJ knows our playbook more than the other OT's people are listing.

Fred Johnson makes the most sense as a tackle and guard back up but he spent the season working with two of the best tackles in the NFL in Tristan Wirfs and Lane Johnson...maybe he learned somethin

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 04:34 PM)pally Wrote: Fred Johnson makes the most sense as a tackle and guard back up but he spent the season working with two of the best tackles in the NFL in Tristan Wirfs and Lane Johnson...maybe he learned somethin

No doubt. Helps playing with the best, always does.
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 04:34 PM)pally Wrote: Fred Johnson makes the most sense as a tackle and guard back up but he spent the season working with two of the best tackles in the NFL in Tristan Wirfs and Lane Johnson...maybe he learned somethin
I forgot about him, so we can claim a player on another playoff team's practice squad? 

Then what are we waiting on? Let's get him signed!  
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 04:11 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: Take a look at this post from 12-29-2021:

I didn't realize he was here that recently, I thought he left awhile ago. Sign him....
Reply/Quote
Tiger

Its time to prove it Jackson Carman!
This is your moment.

https://youtu.be/7Mx-lqy4IYk

Ok lets rock Big Paulie said it.
https://youtu.be/g4NaNLj7j-o
Reply/Quote
(01-17-2023, 12:21 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Not just the playcalling. Just didn't get much of a chance period. The Bengals only had 4 drives after Jonah got hurt near the end of the first half and the only first down they got on the final 3 of those 4 was a penalty on the punt.

Carman was in the game for 13 pass attempts (and a sack) and as you mentioned with the playcalling, only 2 of those were completed for more than 10 yards even including YAC.

There's just no way to know much of anything other than for the fourth straight game the Bengals forget how to play offense for half of a game.

The sack was the only pressure Carman gave up, snd I heard ZT say that was a miscommunication with Perine. 
Reply/Quote

A lot of times, the swing tackle that plays limited snaps grades out pretty well. Prince was over 90 for a while one year. But a lot of their snaps are short yardage vs lighter ends/lbs on the edge of formation. Easy stuff. 

You have to grade on a curve. Some guys have harder assignments. 

We are call up Prince & roll with that. 
Reply/Quote
This is going to be a disappointing end to the season if we’re so screwed Carman has to play LT.

I’m ngl i have been out on Carman since he lost the job to Volson. I feel like he doesn’t have the “it” factor that would make him improve on his own. He also comes off as a guy that just doesn’t care about being a good player
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Watch the game again and pay attention, if you think Carman is good enough, you're on crack. He sucks... no other way around it and it makes me nervous thinking how this offense can have any variety and take advantage or Joe and WR crew if the ball has to leave in under 2 seconds with lack of protection.

It's a shame to have these injuries now. Don't see us winning the next 3 with this OL.
Reply/Quote