Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Carson Palmer
Housh keeps it real he says our facilities were equal to Seattle but Ravens were better
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 12:36 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I don't want to give any poster here the illusion I have ever had significant insider connections to the Bengals because I do not; however, in the early 2000s through brief interactions with other people I heard from someone closely connected to a player's agent and someone else related to a player a couple examples of the organization being cheap. One anecdote was WRs were upset at having to purchase their own WR gloves and the second was that food spreads often comprised hot dogs and cheaper food choices. Players who came to the Bengals from other organizations said they didn't realize an NFL team would actually give such lame/cheap food choices to the players.

Anyhow, it's Super Bowl week so enough of the Brown family cheap talk from me.

If they weren't eating hotdogs, how could their ketchup skills be put under the microscope?  It was obviously just a means to an end Smirk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 12:59 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: If they weren't eating hotdogs, how could their ketchup skills be put under the microscope?  It was obviously just a means to an end Smirk

Hilarious

I assume ketchup skills were never in the equation because I also assume these hotdogs were from Gold Star. No ketchup, just mustard/chili/cheese. Cincinnati style!
Reply/Quote
I'd drink hot chocolate out of a toilet for 88 million. Carson is making excuses for why he left. Mike Brown surrounded Carson with weapons and he didn't get it done. He can blame it on hot chocolate or nasty food if he wants.
Reply/Quote
Carson knew what he was getting BEFORE he signed the extension.

My thing is, were there promises made that were not kept by the organization that lead him to sign that contract? That goes a long way in deciding who I side with.

It just sucks. I feel like that relationship was wasted. Palmer could have been a multiple SB winning HOF QB if it weren't for the organizational fallout and injuries.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 12:14 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Sue for defamation because he said they served hot chocolate out of a mop bucket?
Kind of extreme.

Have you seen some of the mop buckets they sell at Tifffany's?
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 12:27 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: Houshmandzadeh said the team was given used jock straps, which is equally as absurd but we like him so don't question it or his motives. Whatever

I'm sorry but if I played in the NFL I would wear my own jock strap....
Reply/Quote
It's sad that someone who got paid so much money can still be so petty.  Carson Palmer just needs to look himself in the mirror and say, "I'm Carson Palmer and I under-achieved in the NFL."   He'll feel a lot better once he accepts who he is.

This sounds like a either an apocryphal story that grew in the telling or something so old that it's out of context.  "The hot chocolate looks like mop water."  "Ha ha."  "Next the Browns will bring it to us in a mop bucket."  Hails of derisive laughter.

But more likely this is a really old story from the Paul Brown days that he's retelling like it was in his days.  It probably wasn't a mop bucket but and old-style water bucket.  I don't doubt that Paul Brown continued to use those longer than anyone.  And I wouldn't doubt that they put hot chocolate in it during winter.  But when Paul Brown serves you hot chocolate out of a water bucket you bow your head and say, "Thank you, sir.  May I have another."  

When the Bengals win the Super Bowl we need to send him one of these.

[Image: 81xA-Q4VY3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Seems so odd. I read an article the other day about him cheering for the Bengals, praising the fans, and saying he may even attend the game.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 12:38 PM)basballguy Wrote: If you listen to the interview it really paints quite the picture of Palmer.  

He had some valid gripes but one that really rubbed me the wrong way was where he said (paraphrasing):  "Me and the guys would rather eat four P&J sandwiches a day than eat a meal cooked by those ex cons Mike Brown hired because he was cheap"

Screams of someone who grew up in a bubble.

That reveals a lot about his character.  I don't doubt that Mike Brown hired ex-cons.  That would fit with his "redeemer" complex where he wants to give everyone second chances.   And if the food was just crap, Palmer could have said that.  But the fact that he needs to throw the "ex-cons" tidbit in there like it's relevant just reeks of being a snobbish prick.

Can you imagine how glamour boy felt about playing with some of the riff-raff Mike Brown brought in?
Reply/Quote
Oh, and I looked up the jock strap story. Housh didn't experience it. He said he heard it from Willie Anderson. Who knows whether Anderson experienced it or heard it from someone before him. I don't doubt that at some point in the past they did communal laundry for all the players, including jock straps. And like water buckets, I'm sure Paul Brown and maybe Mike Brown did it longer than anyone. I'm not sure that dudes used to worry about that stuff.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 12:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: A "mop bucket" could be just as sanitary as any other container.

I don't see a problem.

Yeah if it's brand spanking new I don't see the issue either.  Actually a creative way to deliver the hot chocolate around the locker room.  Damn Bengals ahead of the times!
Reply/Quote
The whole thing is just funny to me. I can't think of a single sports activity I've ever participated in where I wanted to sit down with the team after and drink hot chocolate. A big plate of hot wings and some beer, maybe. It just seems a goofy story. And these things that pop up still I don't think have really be relevant in organization for years. Maybe they are. But it seems a lot of this is just out of touch with reality and gets brought up because people are salty and looking for something to complain about.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 12:38 PM)basballguy Wrote: If you listen to the interview it really paints quite the picture of Palmer.  

He had some valid gripes but one that really rubbed me the wrong way was where he said (paraphrasing):  "Me and the guys would rather eat four P&J sandwiches a day than eat a meal cooked by those ex cons Mike Brown hired because he was cheap"

Screams of someone who grew up in a bubble.

Ex-cons have high cooking standards?   Ninja
Reply/Quote
I've heard stories from old timers in construction that stated there would be galvanized buckets/tubs filled with coffee on a stand that were kept warm by a small fire underneath, when they were working outside in the winter. Could it be that a modernized version of this was used (possibly with a propane warmer) and it was an efficient way for players to scoop a quick cup to stay warm ?
Seems like the most plausible situation.
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 03:36 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: Ex-cons have high cooking standards?   Ninja

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 03:40 PM)basballguy Wrote: I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here

I think we can be choosy who we want our meals to be made by, that is the point Carson was trying to make, and most would prefer something from a professional, reputable entity.
Reply/Quote
I wish they didn't have to sign a clause not allowing them to criticize the organization. Carson was a great QB and would like to find out what exactly is what made him REALLY fall out from the org.
Reply/Quote
Just Confirms that Palmer will never be in our ring of honor, Dalton on the other hand maybe
Reply/Quote
(02-10-2022, 03:48 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: I think we can be choosy who we want our meals to be made by, that is the point Carson was trying to make, and most would prefer something from a professional, reputable entity.

I can't imagine they pulled guys out of a homeless camp for a couple of hours to make food and then sent them back to their tents.  Plenty of professional companies hire ex cons, and plenty of ex cons are skilled workers who turn things around.  Again, this whole narrative from Carson just comes across poorly.  Zero reason to even bring these things up even if they were true, unless you know there are issues to this day.  He just can't let it go. 
Reply/Quote