Poll: How do you feel about Ced
He's going in the right direction
LT is a major need from here out
I started the Andy Dalton memorial site already
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cedric Ogbeuhi with moving pictures.
(08-17-2017, 04:12 PM)Synric Wrote: Jake Fisher disagrees.

Ced O and Bodine (to an extent) do though..... Wink

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ced O and Bodine (to an extent) do though..... Wink

Whit and Cook say meh. Look I've said it a few different times over the last 10 years. PA is a pretty good fundementals coach but he has a shitty eye for talent.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:17 PM)Wyche Wrote: Ced O and Bodine (to an extent) do though..... Wink

That's a scouting problem with those two. 
With Bodine there are physical limitations he hasn't overcome and with Ced, there were so many technique issues that it was never going to be easy.

Trey Hopkins (UDFA to starter)
Christian Westerman is looking like a keeper 
Alex Redmond is looking strong too. 

Get guys with the right traits and let PA coach not scout. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:21 PM)Synric Wrote: Whit and Cook say meh. Look I've said it a few different times over the last 10 years. PA is a pretty good fundementals coach but he has a shitty eye for talent.

Whit was NFL ready, Cook really only had a year and a half of good play....I think he was once a good fundamentals coach....the early 00's kinda prove that.  More recently, I think he's been stuck in his ways and they're outdated.  That's just an opinion though.  Yes, the talent evaluation is atrocious, that much is evident.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:25 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: That's a scouting problem with those two. 
With Bodine there are physical limitations he hasn't overcome and with Ced, there were so many technique issues that it was never going to be easy.

Trey Hopkins (UDFA to starter)
Christian Westerman is looking like a keeper 
Alex Redmond is looking strong too. 

Get guys with the right traits and let PA coach not scout. 

Memory about drafts and scouting reports are hazy.....but weren't a couple of those guys considered pretty decent prospects?  Pretty sure Westerman was.

Reply/Quote
Gentlemen, at the end of the day, what it comes down to more than anything for me is this:  we seem to have a bit of a culture problem when it comes to winning the big time and with accountability.  Why have any ties to the lost decade lingering around?

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: Whit was NFL ready, Cook really only had a year and a half of good play....I think he was once a good fundamentals coach....the early 00's kinda prove that.  More recently, I think he's been stuck in his ways and they're outdated.  That's just an opinion though.  Yes, the talent evaluation is atrocious, that much is evident.

So your argument is Whit came straight in to the NFL from college didn't learn a thing from his position coach was the best tackle in the league. Same thing for Levi and Willie Zeitler Bobbie Williams Brahm....
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:32 PM)Synric Wrote: So your argument is Whit came straight in to the NFL from college didn't learn a thing from his position coach was the best tackle in the league. Same thing for Levi and Willie Zeitler Bobbie Williams Brahm....

No.....I'm saying those guys probably could have played well under an average position coach.  Look what NE does with castoffs and scrubs.  Scarnecchia left, what, one year and the play up front fell off?  They hired him back, and ol Tommy often has an eternity back there.  Super Bowl again.  Maybe there's a correlation, maybe there isn't, but again, why have any ties to the lost decade lingering around?  I mean, if I'm a player or lackadaisical coach, why am I nervous about my gig when a cat that was a part of the second worst decade in ANY professional sport is still here?

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:31 PM)Wyche Wrote: Gentlemen, at the end of the day, what it comes down to more than anything for me is this:  we seem to have a bit of a culture problem when it comes to winning the big time and with accountability.  Why have any ties to the lost decade lingering around?

[Image: crwdc.gif]
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: why have any ties to the lost decade lingering around?  

This is why, regardless of when or how ML leaves the team (barring retiring immediately following a Super Bowl win) , when it comes to hiring a new head coach, Brown or, hopefully, Katie need to completely hire a whole new coaching staff. Let the new guy decide to re-hire any of the current position coaches/coordinators, but have him start with a clean slate.

That's not to say there aren't some on the coaching staff I'd hate to see leave, but unless ML is quitting after winning the Super Bowl, I think we need to let the new head coach completely choose his staff. IIRC, this has NEVER happened under Brown. Lewis did get to make a lot of changes to the coaching staff, but I believe he still had to keep a couple coaches from the previous years of futility(like Alexander).
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: No.....I'm saying those guys probably could have played well under an average position coach.  Look what NE does with castoffs and scrubs.  Scarnecchia left, what, one year and the play up front fell off?  They hired him back, and ol Tommy often has an eternity back there.  Super Bowl again.  Maybe there's a correlation, maybe there isn't, but again, why have any ties to the lost decade lingering around?  I mean, if I'm a player or lackadaisical coach, why am I nervous about my gig when a cat that was a part of the second worst decade in ANY professional sport is still here?

Because he was part of a losing franchise 25+ years ago he's not a good coach now. I don't buy it and I'm not gonna blame him for the lost decade. Facts are he has coached some damn good linemen and besides last year Andy has had one of the best lines in football. According to your template any linebacker coach that has been here since 2006 shouldn't be a coach.

PS Livings wasn't that bad in the run game. In 2009 him and Mathis ( who washed out in miami) actually ranked very high according to PFF ( back when pff hadnt sold out.) He wasn't the best in pass pro but some of that could be contributed to how anemic the pass offense was under bradkowski. Even whit didn't look great there for a stretch because of it. I know I'm not change your mind, but I figured I'd just throw in my 2 cents.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:27 PM)Wyche Wrote: Whit was NFL ready, Cook really only had a year and a half of good play....I think he was once a good fundamentals coach....the early 00's kinda prove that.  More recently, I think he's been stuck in his ways and they're outdated.  That's just an opinion though.  Yes, the talent evaluation is atrocious, that much is evident.

Eh. A lot of people will disagree with you about Whit. I believe early on he was labeled as purely a guard or RT. 

(08-17-2017, 04:28 PM)Wyche Wrote: Memory about drafts and scouting reports are hazy.....but weren't a couple of those guys considered pretty decent prospects?  Pretty sure Westerman was.

Nope. Trey and Redmond weren't really known or really given much thought. 
Westerman has a following but still fell to the 5th round. 8th guard taken. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:53 PM)Synric Wrote: Because he was part of a losing franchise 25+ years ago he's not a good coach now. I don't buy it and I'm not gonna blame him for the lost decade. Facts are he has coached some damn good linemen and besides last year Andy has had one of the best lines in football. According to your template any linebacker coach that has been here since 2006 shouldn't be a coach.

PS Livings wasn't that bad in the run game. In 2009 him and Mathis ( who washed out in miami) actually ranked very high according to PFF ( back when pff hadnt sold out.) He wasn't the best in pass pro but some of that could be contributed to how anemic the pass offense was under bradkowski. Even whit didn't look great there for a stretch because of it. I know I'm not change your mind, but I figured I'd just throw in my 2 cents.

Good points, but I feel he's an average coach at best nowadays, and I see no reason to not try and improve on him, especially due the fact he was a part of such futility.  I've also said in the past that I think Dalton's quick reading abilities and release has helped mask some deficiencies of the line.....like we saw in preseason game one.  Most of the good lineman were high draft picks too.  That has to account for something.

I'm not gonna change your mind either, and people's 2 cents are what makes a message board a message board. Wink  I enjoy a good debate when it's respectful, and I've never seen anything but respectful discourse from you sir.  Agree to disagree I guess, and have a blessed day sir.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:59 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Eh. A lot of people will disagree with you about Whit. I believe early on he was labeled as purely a guard or RT. 

Nope. Trey and Redmond weren't really known or really given much thought. 
Westerman has a following but still fell to the 5th round. 8th guard taken. 

Maybe not as a LT, but Whit was a good prospect.  I guess it was just Westerman then....thanks for the refresher. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: This is why, regardless of when or how ML leaves the team (barring retiring immediately following a Super Bowl win) , when it comes to hiring a new head coach, Brown or, hopefully, Katie need to completely hire a whole new coaching staff. Let the new guy decide to re-hire any of the current position coaches/coordinators, but have him start with a clean slate.

That's not to say there aren't some on the coaching staff I'd hate to see leave, but unless ML is quitting after winning the Super Bowl, I think we need to let the new head coach completely choose his staff. IIRC, this has NEVER happened under Brown. Lewis did get to make a lot of changes to the coaching staff, but I believe he still had to keep a couple coaches from the previous years of futility(like Alexander).

Exactly.......

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 05:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'm not gonna change your mind either, and people's 2 cents are what makes a message board a message board. Wink  I enjoy a good debate when it's respectful, and I've never seen anything but respectful discourse from you sir.  Agree to disagree I guess, and have a blessed day sir.

I just love the chance this board gives me to read and talk about Bengals football. A Bengals fans get really tried of talking about the Steelers when he lives in the Squeeler nation...lolol

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 05:02 PM)Wyche Wrote: Good points, but I feel he's an average coach at best nowadays, and I see no reason to not try and improve on him, especially due the fact he was a part of such futility.  I've also said in the past that I think Dalton's quick reading abilities and release has helped mask some deficiencies of the line.....like we saw in preseason game one.  Most of the good lineman were high draft picks too.  That has to account for something.

I'm not gonna change your mind either, and people's 2 cents are what makes a message board a message board. Wink  I enjoy a good debate when it's respectful, and I've never seen anything but respectful discourse from you sir.  Agree to disagree I guess, and have a blessed day sir.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 05:47 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries

Quick question for everone...was the Online opening up holes for running backs...something you weren't used to seeing running backs run through last year?

Yes? K, thanks for playing. 

Come back and i will taunt you a second timeahhhhh!!

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2017, 07:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Great breakdown RoyaleRedlegs, thanks.

I'll continue to say I'm very concerned with Ogbuehi's play whether I get flamed or not. I've stated many, many times on here his passiveness greatly concerns me, his apparent and/or real lack of desire concerns me ! You can't coach that up - ever.

Guys keep talking about technique, confidence, footwork, etc. But the killer instinct is just not there, that's the downfall IMHO.
AND THIS IS AFTER AN OFFSEASON OF INTENSE PREPARATION. YIKES!  They had better be watching the waiver wire closely for a subpar LT who would be better than Og. Fisher actually looked serviceable in the clips.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2017, 04:39 PM)Wyche Wrote: No.....I'm saying those guys probably could have played well under an average position coach.  Look what NE does with castoffs and scrubs.  Scarnecchia left, what, one year and the play up front fell off?  They hired him back, and ol Tommy often has an eternity back there.  Super Bowl again.  Maybe there's a correlation, maybe there isn't, but again, why have any ties to the lost decade lingering around?  I mean, if I'm a player or lackadaisical coach, why am I nervous about my gig when a cat that was a part of the second worst decade in ANY professional sport is still here?

IMO watching the tapes Og looks really awful. Fisher looks serviceable. But, there seemed to be a lot of pressure on the QB from everywhere.

I can't believe Og looks this pitiful after an offseason of intense training. He must have been even worse that we thought last year --IF THAT IS EVEN POSSIBLE?
Reply/Quote