Wont be easy for San Diego, either...

Bengals 28
Chargers 17
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Crowds gonna be pumped.

33/17

Reply/Quote
(09-14-2015, 10:31 PM)djs7685 Wrote: Not desperate for money at all.

The Bengals winning football games does almost nothing to impact my life. Honestly, I love the team and I spend way too much time discussing them, but what does a Bengals win do for me past getting to be happy for a few minutes for a bunch of guys that I'll never personally know?

I don't know, I think the people choosing a football team winning over actual money seem more insane in this scenario.

I may be a "bad fan" for saying this, but I'm dead serious when I say that I don't really understand how a Bengals win could be more impactful to someone's life than money. That's crazy to me.
I can somewhat agree. Playing fantasy, especially for money, gets me extremely curious about my players and every team's situation. Otherwise I'd just care for the Bengals only. But the best feeling after every weekend of football is a Bengals W matching a fantasy W. I hope Allen performs since he's on my team, but enough to push my fantasy team and not the Chargers.
Reply/Quote
Keep em coming.
Reply/Quote
24-17 Bengals win
Reply/Quote
After looking at Lions at Chargers game film, Lions didn't play 2 halves of football. Lions played a good 1st half. The Lions did not put out the same effort in the 2nd half. Maybe it was the start of regular season or something, but Lions just didn't have a full game in them. Chargers however did have a full game in them, as did Bengals against the Raiders. I think we will see 2 teams that came ready to start the season.

Now Chargers can run and throw, a very talented offense. Their defense doesn't look as good as their offense, and yet they did get some turnovers on Lions. Lions defense got some turnovers on Chargers. It was kind of a sloppy game as far as both teams making turnovers and stupid mistakes. Chargers got on a roll late in the 3rd quarter and into the start of the 4th quarter with unanswered points, putting the Lions away.

I think our defense is going to be a lot better than Lions defense was.....I think Bengals offense is going to be better than Lions offense was......I think Chargers offense will be much better than Raiders.....I'm not sure Chargers defense is better than Raiders......Chargers have had 1 play-off season in last 5 years and we caught them when they were really on their game that year. Chargers fell off last year. Meanwhile Bengals have had 4 straight play-off seasons and are pretty healthy going into this game.....Plus, Bengals have been hard to beat in THE JUNGLE. ....and Bengals have a lot of reason for revenge in this game.....

I'll say the 12th man JUNGLE is indeed a factor and Bengals WIN....I like the way Bengals mixed up formations. I also like our defensive line. I like our O Line also. I'll say Bengals win in the trenches and 12th man Jungle has an impact. Plus California Chargers have to make the trip to Ohio. I also think our running backs will be harder on Chargers over the whole game than Lions RB's were....This Allen had a career day against Lions. I don't look for that again, but they have other weapons at receiver and their RB's are very good. Still, I think our D Line and the rest of our D will be ready.

Unlike the Lions, the Bengals will play all 4 quarters. Rivers may try some of his late game comeback stuff he is known for, but if Bengals pack a lunch and play tough all 4 quarters, Bengals will show they have added some things and players like Hill since that play-off loss.

Bengals 30....Chargers 20....The schedule gets harder than this, and Bengals could use wins over Raiders and Chargers and a 2-0 start. Plus, WE OWE THE CHARGERS ONE IN THE JUNGLE....Bengals defense with a LOUD 12th man JUNGLE keeps THE JUNGLE on the winning roll....I would say this is not a game to make turnovers, but that goes for any game.....As for Fantasy Football, this might be a good game to have Eifert, AJ Green, Sanu, Jones, Hill, Gio, Burkhead because The Bengals D may give the Chargers a harder time than the Lions did....The Bengals are under rated huge in the NFL, all the attention as usual to New York teams and such. ....Bengals win this one....Start 2-0...This team has an attitude and a chip on their shoulder, which is a good thing.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

The Bengals winning football games does almost nothing to impact my life. Honestly, I love the team and I spend way too much time discussing them, but what does a Bengals win do for me past getting to be happy for a few minutes for a bunch of guys that I'll never personally know?

I don't know, I think the people choosing a football team winning over actual money seem more insane in this scenario.

I may be a "bad fan" for saying this, but I'm dead serious when I say that I don't really understand how a Bengals win could be more impactful to someone's life than money. That's crazy to me.

Yeah, you probably have to be scrapping for money to think this way.

What are you going to do with that money that will make you more happy than a Bengals win?  Go out and eat a meal?  Go see a movie?  Buy a fancy new phone?  Do those types of things really give you more lasting joy than the Bengals winning a football game?

Money shouldn't make you happy.  It is what you do with the money.  
Reply/Quote
BTW Bengals 29-26

Chargers are worlds better than Raiders, but we play them at home.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 11:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, you probably have to be scrapping for money to think this way.

What are you going to do with that money that will make you more happy than a Bengals win?  Go out and eat a meal?  Go see a movie?  Buy a fancy new phone?  Do those types of things really give you more lasting joy than the Bengals winning a football game?

Sort of ridiculous to assume that I'm "scrapping for money" to think this way. I'd say you should be questioning my fandom over the money I make. I'm not extremely wealthy and swimming in cash, but I do well for my family, I promise we're just fine.

It's not that I'm going to do something super duper awesome with my money, it's closer to that a Bengals win doesn't really do....anything for my life. Honestly, what does a Bengals win do for your life unless you bet on the game?

A Bengals win makes me happy for about 10 minutes, and gives me joy while watching the event. That's cool and everything, but I can do a lot of things with money from fantasy football, especially when it's a league where the winner is paid over a grand.

The fact that you think a random football team winning a game is more important than money is....odd. Hell, I know some people that would wish their fantasy team to win over their favorite pro team in a NON-money league. It's just the way some people are. I love discussing the Bengals and I spend way too much time on here, but let's be honest, a Bengals win does about 0 things for any of us (especially those of us that don't live anywhere near Cincinnati).
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 11:10 AM)djs7685 Wrote: The fact that you think a random football team winning a game is more important than money is....odd. 

A Bengal win does more to make me happy than a meal, or a movie, or a fancy new phone.

You say a Bengal win does zero for your life, but how does that compare with going out to eat or a movie or a new phone?  Do those things really bring you a lot more joy than  Bengal victory.

Just wanting money for the sake of wanting money is.......odd.  Money really has no value other than what you can buy with it.  And what makes a Bengal victory so special for me is that you can NOT buy a victory.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 11:23 AM)fredtoast Wrote: A Bengal win does more to make me happy than a meal, or a movie, or a fancy new phone.

You say a Bengal win does zero for your life, but how does that compare with going out to eat or a movie or a new phone?  Do those things really bring you a lot more joy than  Bengal victory.

Just wanting money for the sake of wanting money is.......odd.  Money really has no value other than what you can buy with it.  And what makes a Bengal victory so special for me is that you can NOT buy a victory.

That's fair. I do a lot of cool things with money, and I usually enjoy the things I buy (hence the reason I buy them). If you enjoy the Bengals winning more than the things you buy with money, that's cool and more power to you. I'm glad I don't have that kind of emotional investment in a professional sports team. I will 100% enjoy taking my family out to a nice dinner 100x more than I will enjoy 40-some strangers win a football game. Like you assuming that I'm "scrapping for money", maybe I'll just assume that you don't have a family that loves you that you would enjoy spending the evening with.

Like I said before, maybe it makes me a shitty fan, but when the Bengals win it doesn't really do much for me. I'm excited for a few minutes after the game, and then it almost immediately wears off and I go about my day as I normally would. The 3-ish hours of entertainment is great, but it's not much different than watching a great movie. It comes on, I have fun watching it, then it's over and my life is immediately not impacted by it anymore.

I think people are insane that let a random football game drastically alter their mood. There are people I used to work with that would be borderline miserable for multiple days if the Steelers would lose on Sunday. That's crazy to me, and I'm glad I'm not that type of person. I really enjoy my mood and my personal life not being affected by a sporting event past my emotions during the game itself and any money I place on it.
Reply/Quote
Bengals 30

Chargers 16

Home opener the guys will come out ready.
Reply/Quote
Maybe because I've been a Bengals Fan since 1968, but the games mean something to me, most years. I'll admit, not as much in the middle of those 4 win seasons. I would think most Bengals players and fans want to get back to the play-offs and win and go to the Super Bowl and in order to do that, they must win games to get back to the play-offs. Therefore the players and fans want to win and the games do matter.

Now, for people that might say the wins don't matter, I would hope they don't come back and say they are down on the Bengals over a loss. If winning and losing doesn't matter, then that is apathy both ways, win or lose. Please don't say the score doesn't matter, then come back and say you are down on the Bengals if they lose. You can't be down if you are never up. I guess I'm saying this to all those who post after a loss, but the boards are silent after a win. If you don't care if Bengals win, please don't fake being upset that they lost.

I know there was one person on here from West Pennsylvania that told me the Steelers fans didn't think much of the Bengals and Dalton and West Pennsylvania for the most part doesn't think much of the Bengals. He sited play-off losses in this, so the wins and losses were a factor in his rather low opinion of the Bengals on here. I said I really didn't care what people in Steeler Nation think and I still don't. I really did love the Steelers, Browns, Ravens losing last week and the Bengals winning. I'm not going to jump off a cliff or kill myself if the Bengals lose a game, but I really have enjoyed the 4 straight play-off seasons and I am rooting for the Bengal to get back to play-offs and win the Super Bowl. If I didn't feel this way, I would not bother to watch them. If the outcome of the games meant nothing to me, I would not waste my time on the Bengals or the NFL. My favorite sporting event is a Bengals game, and I like a Bengals game more than a Super Bowl without the Bengals. I am a Homer, I am a Bengals Fan, I want the Bengals to win Sunday and no way I could say I don't care who wins or loses. Some say it is only week 2, I say the play-off hunt is on right now with only 16 games, and sometimes 10 wins doesn't get a team in. Teams that start 0-2 could start 0-3, and I don't think any team has ever done much after an 0-3 start. Bengals starting 2-0 would be a positive. ....I wish the Reds were in the play-off hunt, but you can't have everything. Buckeyes are the National Champs and Dayton Flyers have had some good basketball years. I can truly say I don't care what other teams in other states or areas do. I have a few home teams I root for, I'm a Homer. My family keeps me rather busy and I learned from Pete Rose mistakes, I don't gamble on this stuff.

BENGALS 30.....Chargers 20
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 12:09 PM)kevin Wrote: Maybe because I've been a Bengals Fan since 1968, but the games mean something to me, most years. I'll admit, not as much in the middle of those 4 win seasons. I would think most Bengals players and fans want to get back to the play-offs and win and go to the Super Bowl and in order to do that, they must win games to get back to the play-offs. Therefore the players and fans want to win and the games do matter.

Now, for people that might say the wins don't matter, I would hope they don't come back and say they are down on the Bengals over a loss. If winning and losing doesn't matter, then that is apathy both ways, win or lose.  Please don't say the score doesn't matter, then come back and say you are down on the Bengals if they lose. You can't be down if you are never up. I guess I'm saying this to all those who post after a loss, but the boards are silent after a win. If you don't care if Bengals win, please don't fake being upset that they lost.

Nobody has said the wins and losses don't matter. They definitely affect how good or bad a team is, and they definitely matter in that sense.

However, that doesn't mean that I'm forced to be extremely emotionally invested in the team and let it alter my actual mood whether they win or lose.

I will absolutely come onto the boards to discuss the win/loss and the positives/issues of the team after a game, but that doesn't mean that win or loss did anything to actually affect my life outside of talking about it on here.

You're just taking this the wrong way and not really understanding the point.
Reply/Quote
I do believe the Bengals take this at home, but not by much this time.

28-26 Bengals
Reply/Quote
Just win. I don't care how or by what score, just win. I live out here in San Diego and these fans make me sick. Rivers is one of the biggest whiners to ever play in the NFL and I can't stand another loss to his stupid Marmalard face.

This is a vengeance game. I hope we destroy them like we did the Raiders. Actually, I don't even want them to sniff the end zone. Blank 'em and make Rivers pay by having him spend the day on his back.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 12:53 PM)tenacious-B Wrote: Just win. I don't care how or by what score, just win. I live out here in San Diego and these fans make me sick. Rivers is one of the biggest whiners to ever play in the NFL and I can't stand another loss to his stupid Marmalard face.

This is a vengeance game. I hope we destroy them like we did the Raiders. Actually, I don't even want them to sniff the end zone. Blank 'em and make Rivers pay by having him spend the day on his back.

[Image: Philip+Rivers1.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 12:54 PM)djs7685 Wrote: [Image: Philip+Rivers1.jpg]

Yup, that's MARMALARD!
Reply/Quote

(09-15-2015, 11:00 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, you probably have to be scrapping for money to think this way.

From the posts I've been reading over the years, I would guess that my views are different than most posters here.  In many ways I agree with DJS in this case, especially when it comes to the argument about (not) being emotionally invested in the Bengals game.  However, that does come with a caveat for me.  I'm extremely emotionally invested during the game itself, but afterwards, regardless of a win or a loss, I guess I've learned over the years to not dwell on the game much.  Maybe this is just a result of the Bengals' lack of playoff success and having the feeling that disappointment is around the corner, but I can't say for sure this is the case, until I see the Bengals win a playoff game at which point I can see how I react to that feeling.  Having said all that, I also agree with Fred here, maybe not exactly to his point, but in this way:  I don't like being emotionally invested in betting or fantasy so I probably would never be in the position of winning $1k over a bet or a fantasy game, so I would likely never have to root against the Bengals in a real game.  With that said, however, if I were hypothetically involved in a bet or a fantasy game, there is definitely one case where I would not root against the Bengals:  any playoff game in our current state (never winning a playoff game since I was a fan), or obviously the Super Bowl.  These are cases where I would probably pick my money over the Bengals winning:  another game in a losing season that doesn't do much for the future (maybe even root for a loss since it helps draft position), a game where the Bengals have already locked up playoff seeds with no impact from the game.  
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2015, 11:31 AM)djs7685 Wrote: That's fair. I do a lot of cool things with money, and I usually enjoy the things I buy (hence the reason I buy them). If you enjoy the Bengals winning more than the things you buy with money, that's cool and more power to you. I'm glad I don't have that kind of emotional investment in a professional sports team. I will 100% enjoy taking my family out to a nice dinner 100x more than I will enjoy 40-some strangers win a football game. Like you assuming that I'm "scrapping for money", maybe I'll just assume that you don't have a family that loves you that you would enjoy spending the evening with.

Like I said before, maybe it makes me a shitty fan, but when the Bengals win it doesn't really do much for me. I'm excited for a few minutes after the game, and then it almost immediately wears off and I go about my day as I normally would. The 3-ish hours of entertainment is great, but it's not much different than watching a great movie. It comes on, I have fun watching it, then it's over and my life is immediately not impacted by it anymore.

I think people are insane that let a random football game drastically alter their mood. There are people I used to work with that would be borderline miserable for multiple days if the Steelers would lose on Sunday. That's crazy to me, and I'm glad I'm not that type of person. I really enjoy my mood and my personal life not being affected by a sporting event past my emotions during the game itself and any money I place on it.

Man, you have been here for months when there were not even any games going on.  Now you try to act like you don't care about the games? How many movies have caused you to make thousands of posts on a message board?

This is high comedy.  People don't spend as much time on a message board as you do discussing something that is meaningless to you.

I agree that my emotional state is not controlled by the Bengals success, but that is COMPLETELY different from saying that I do not care who wins the games.

Personally I don't think going out to eat makes my time with my daughters any better than eating at home with them.  Maybe you should just learn that just because people have different values than you doesn't mean that they are odd.

Bengals victories are worth more than money to me because they bring me more joy than almost anything else I could do with my money. Now if we were talking about tens of thousands of dollars I might have a different opinion. But to me a Bengals victory is more valuable because you can't buy a victory with money.
Reply/Quote