Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Baker expected to sign with Bengals
Trash move from a low rent owner...shocker...wash, rinse, repeat year after year...Can't wait for his daughter to take over and run this franchise into the ground...when will the NFL yank this franchise out of the hands of this family....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
Jungle Noise is beyond repair.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
$3m for a 31-year-old who was cut by his last team after having 0.5 sacks in 15 games last season.... oh, and blew a game for his team, laughed about it, making the entire locker room turn on him. His coaches also didn't like him either.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2017/12/26/16820006/several-bucs-players-confronted-chris-baker-for-blowing-the-game
Quote:Baker jumped offside on fourth-and-short at the end of the game, turning a tough conversion into a very easy one for the Panthers and essentially gifting them a touchdown—the touchdown that would lose the Bucs the game. Gerald McCoy said after the game that he’d warned Baker not to jump offside.[b]

According to the Tampa Bay Times, several players then “took issue with” Baker after the game, as he [b]wasn’t particularly remorseful and was even smiling.
Quote:That’s not all, apparently this was just the tip of the iceberg and some players and coaches have been annoyed with Baker since the offseason, according to Rick Stroud.

What's more, some players and coaches feel as if his attitude has been poor from the beginning in terms of effort, especially given what the Bucs are paying him. Unfortunately, the level of accountability demonstrated in the locker room Sunday didn't happen earlier in the season or training camp.

Hurray Bengals offseason.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
I like this move honestly. I prefer Baker over Sims and I think 2017 was an outlier. Baker gives insurance as Billings and Glasgow continue to develop.
I also expect this signing means no first-round DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 08:47 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well sure, all kidding aside they obviously know quite a bit about the game of football. But damn, sometimes they make me wonder if I couldn't do a better job.

I hated 90% of the moves they made (and didn't make) last season and it killed us like I thought it would. 

Plus, I will happily acknowledge that in-game adjustments exist and are crucial to winning. You won't see me alluding them adjustments as "more journalist jargon than anything"  Mellow

It is the job they went into, i sure hope they know it better than the average fan...

But you are right, sometimes one has to wonder...

(03-07-2018, 08:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: $3m for a 31-year-old who was cut by his last team after having 0.5 sacks in 15 games last season.... oh, and blew a game for his team, laughed about it, making the entire locker room turn on him. His coaches also didn't like him either.

https://www.bucsnation.com/2017/12/26/16820006/several-bucs-players-confronted-chris-baker-for-blowing-the-game

Hurray Bengals offseason.

Don't like this. Jumping offside, costing a game for his team, smiling about it etc.

Sims cost us a game years back jumping offside many years back i remember.

But Chris Baker did look good in Washington a couple years back. As Shake posted 9.5 sacks between 2015 and 2016
for a DT is pretty decent and he can stop the run. Just a one year deal so i am not all freaking out here.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 01:19 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If we don't sign at least 1 offensive lineman in free agency, I'm gonna ... I'm gonna ... well, I'm going to do the only thing I can do and ***** and moan about how this franchise sucks! :angry:

I truly would not be surprised if Mikey Brown thought his real product was giving fans reasons to be angry.

Reply/Quote
Another Bengals Free Agent: No one of note, just another bottom of the bargain bin player no one else wanted. At least his teammates hate him and is unmotivated.......Here is why Tampa Cut him:

Baker jumped offsides on a fourth-and-3 from the Buccaneers 5-yard line. After the penalty was assessed half the distance to the goal line, it was only a fourth-and-1 from the 3-yard line the Panthers needed to convert. Despite a fumbled snap, Cam Newton still scored to give the Panthers the victory.

Baker smiling afterward and apparently not seeming too distraught about the penalty rubbed several teammates the wrong way.

He signed a three-year, $16 million contract with the team last offseason, but if he’s angering teammates to the point they are questioning his motivation and commitment to them it may be a short-lived stay in Tampa.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Don't like this. Jumping offside, costing a game for his team, smiling about it etc.

Sims cost us a game years back jumping offside many years back i remember.

But Chris Baker did look good in Washington a couple years back. As Shake posted 9.5 sacks between 2015 and 2016
for a DT is pretty decent and he can stop the run. Just a one year deal so i am not all freaking out here.

Yeah, my problem with him is more his attitude/age than his theoretical ceiling. I wouldn't want anyone who smiles and laughs about costing their team a game.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, my problem with him is more his attitude/age than his theoretical ceiling. I wouldn't want anyone who smiles and laughs about costing their team a game.

Agree, don't like that shit. Atleast Sims wasn't smiling after he made his big mistake.
Reply/Quote
1 year 3 million and I assume he would be easy to cut if we are more Impressed by other players in preseason. Not a bad move but not a great one either.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 06:18 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Anybody who is halfway intelligent and honest with themselves KNOWS the coaches know more than the posters here. Otherwise, they'd be posting here and the smarter posters here would be coaching in the NFL..... We may not agree with the coaches, but to suggest an internet poster knows more about the game than a coach that made it to the top tier of coaching is laughable.

It's a game.

Most fans before the 2017 season: Hey, our O-Line sucks. Bodine and Ogbuehi won't cut it. We need to upgrade.

Bengals coaches: Nah, Our O-line is solid! We will just roll with what we got.

Who was right?
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 08:47 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Well sure, all kidding aside they obviously know quite a bit about the game of football. But damn, sometimes they make me wonder if I couldn't do a better job.

I hated 90% of the moves they made (and didn't make) last season and it killed us like I thought it would. 

Plus, I will happily acknowledge that in-game adjustments exist and are crucial to winning. You won't see me alluding them adjustments as "more journalist jargon than anything"  Mellow

Yep, I'd have to agree 100%.

Even Mikey Brown makes an occasional right choice just by random chance. Doesn't mean he knows a damn thing in the big picture.

I saw the teams decisions last off season as completely backwards to what they should have done, starting with low-balling of Whit, continuing on to re-signing Kirkpatrick for a mega contract, not offer Z anything at all, capped off by the selection of an oft injured one year wonder with the #9 overall pick. None of those decisions worked out last year.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:33 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: It's a game.

Most fans before the 2017 season: Hey, our O-Line sucks. Bodine and Ogbuehi won't cut it. We need to upgrade.

Bengals coaches: Nah, Our O-line is solid! We will just roll with what we got.

Who was right?

The fans were.

Just happy PA is gone and Pollack is here man.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:43 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yep, I'd have to agree 100%.

Even Mikey Brown makes an occasional right choice just by random chance. Doesn't mean he knows a damn thing in the big picture.

I saw the teams decisions last off season as completely backwards to what they should have done, starting with low-balling of Whit, continuing on to re-signing Kirkpatrick for a mega contract, not offer Z anything at all, capped off by the selection of an oft injured one year wonder with the #9 overall pick. None of those decisions worked out last year.

Completely agree with you here.

Low-balling Whit was the big one, but hey, we might of made the Playoffs if we brought back Whit and PA would still be here. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 09:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yeah, my problem with him is more his attitude/age than his theoretical ceiling. I wouldn't want anyone who smiles and laughs about costing their team a game.

Part of being able to smile and laugh it off, is accepting responsibility for the action.  As in, "Yeah, I did that", "Sure as hell wished that I didn't, but I took a risk and it backfired".

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 10:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Part of being able to smile and laugh it off, is accepting responsibility for the action.  As in, "Yeah, I did that", "Sure as hell wished that I didn't, but I took a risk and it backfired".

Except on 4th and short, game on the line, teammates all warning you not to do it... that's not a risk. That's just a huge F-up, and his teammates and coaches didn't like him BEFORE that due to bad attitude/effort, let alone after.

Reply/Quote
I don't see why people are clamoring for Vea. We have an all pro DT in Atkins and decent guys by his side in Baker and Billings. There are other positions that we need to pursue before DT.
Reply/Quote
Not every signing needs to be, or is meant to be, a showstopper. This isn't a big deal.
Reply/Quote
Oh shucks, now we are out of cap space. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2018, 11:11 PM)snowy Wrote: Not every signing needs to be, or is meant to be, a showstopper. This isn't a big deal.

Not a big deal at all but to have a pity party about it also makes little sense.
Reply/Quote