Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
City in Virginia cracking down on swearing
(06-19-2015, 02:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's funny considering people get hung up on which words we use and which we don't....  

The reason your not supposed to swear is because you sound like an uneducated moron when you use that language.   Yeah the words mean what they mean.... But it's a low class, uneducated, style of speaking.  

We shouldn't be limiting it as government. But its ok for a business to limit.

I'm neither low class nor uneducated and I swear like a sailor when I am not around kids.

Also, you don't need the comma after "uneducated". There's more I could comment on, but I won't because it's the internet and I too speak very informally.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(06-22-2015, 07:22 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: And it's been proven over and over here in this thread that swearing for entertainment is not swearing in Real life.  

So yes in fantasy land it's ok to swear.   Also ok to murder in fantay land as well.  

Unfortunately for you both this is a discussion of real life not fantasy land.

Steve Jobs lived in real life.

I have also heard judges, elite attorneys, nuclear engineers, and plenty of other highly educated people swear in real life.

You are the only one who does not live in reality.
(06-22-2015, 06:41 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I didn't say any of that. It's just that I would have used someone other than somebody that dropped out of College after 1 semester to rebuke the uneducated assertion. But we're just different like that.

You mean we are different in that I consider Steve Jobs "educated" and you do not?

Thanks for the compliment.  
(06-22-2015, 07:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You mean we are different in that I consider Steve Jobs "educated" and you do not?

Thanks for the compliment.  

Strawman Argument!!!

I didn't say I considered Steve Jobs uneducated. I merely stated that I would have used someone other than a guy that dropped out of College after one semester if I were trying to rebuke the "uneducated" claim.

You're Welcome?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(06-22-2015, 07:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Strawman Argument!!!

I didn't say I considered Steve Jobs uneducated. I merely stated that I would have used someone other than a guy that dropped out of College after one semester if I were trying to rebuke the "uneducated" claim.

You're Welcome?

So you consider Steve Jobs to be educated, but you don't think he rebukes the "uneducated" claim?  If he is educated then why would he not rebuke the "uneducated" claim?

Do you ever read this stuff before you post it?

This is too funny.  Maybe you should quit now instead of making yourself look worse.

But how about Yale graduate Dick Cheney? do you consider him "educated"?
(06-22-2015, 05:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No he was absolutely brilliant. Where did I say he was stupid.

Just thought he might not be the best example to rebuke the "uneducated" stance.

(06-22-2015, 06:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you think Steve Jobs was low class and never educated himself on any issues after he left college?

You think it is impossible to gain any sort of education on any subject without going to college?

You're Welcome?

Quite frankly I'm not sure what you mean then.

You say he dropped out of college so not a good example for Fred to use...you say he was brilliant...you say he's not uneducated.  

Maybe go back and try again.

Or just say "I didn't say that".  Whatever.  Rock On
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.

You're Welcome?

Why?  Is it because without college someone is "uneducated"?  You already said that's not it...you said he was brilliant.
(06-22-2015, 08:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you consider Steve Jobs to be educated, but you don't think he rebukes the "uneducated" claim?  If he is educated then why would he not rebuke the "uneducated" claim?

Do you ever read this stuff before you post it?

This is too funny.  Maybe you should quit now instead of making yourself look worse.

But how about Yale graduate Dick Cheney?  do you consider him "educated"?

I would not use Jobs as an example of an "educated" man. I would consider him brilliant, motivated, innovative, and highly successful.

I would consider any Yale graduate to be educated. 

I'll risk making myself "looking worse". I mean what's the dumbest thing I do; use a college drop out as an example of an educated man? 

(06-22-2015, 08:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would not use Jobs as an example of an "educated" man. I would consider him brilliant, motivated, innovative, and highly successful.

I would consider any Yale graduate to be educated. 

I'll risk making myself "looking worse". I mean what's the dumbest thing I do; use a college drop out as an example of an educated man? 

Then you believe people cannot become "educated" without schooling...and yet can be brilliant.

Rolleyes

I'll use a 3 year old as uneducated...of course they will get more educated as they get older. Even after the drop out of college.
(06-22-2015, 07:33 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm neither low class nor uneducated and I swear like a sailor when I am not around kids.

Also, you don't need the comma after "uneducated". There's more I could comment on, but I won't because it's the internet and I too speak very informally.

Well you think that it's appropriate to display yourself swearing that is your business
(06-22-2015, 08:35 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well you think that it's appropriate to display yourself swearing that is your business

Do I think it is inappropriate? **** no.

Oh my god, stop bickering. It's stupid. Bfine was pointing out that it is a bit funny to choose someone notorious for not finishing their schooling. I too probably wouldn't have used Jobs as he is known for dropping out of college. Clearly he believes Jobs was an educated man and every single person on here knows that you can be educated through means other than college.

(06-22-2015, 08:52 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Oh my god, stop bickering. It's stupid. Bfine was pointing out that it is a bit funny to choose someone notorious for not finishing their schooling. I too probably wouldn't have used Jobs as he is known for dropping out of college. Clearly he believes Jobs was an educated man and every single person on here knows that you can be educated through means other than college.

Then Larry was wrong. Smirk
Forget Steve Jobs. Let's go back to Yale grad Dick Cheney.

Is he "uneducated"?
(06-22-2015, 09:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Forget Steve Jobs.  Let's go back to Yale grad Dick Cheney.

Is he "uneducated"?

Dick Cheney didn't graduate from Yale.

(06-22-2015, 09:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dick Cheney didn't graduate from Yale.

You are correct, but do you consider him "uneducated"?

He has a Masters Degree form the University of Wyoming.

Gearge Bush did graduate from Yale. Do you consider him "uneducated"?
(06-22-2015, 09:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are correct

Don't tell Dino; it will absolutely crush him.

Donald Trump graduated from The Wharton School of the UNiversity of Pennsylvania.

Do you consider him uneducated?
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2012/may-june-12/the-science-of-swearing.html

THE SCIENCE OF SWEARING

The original justification for our obscenity laws was predicated on an unfounded assumption that speech can deprave or corrupt children, but there is little (if any) social-science data demonstrating that a word in and of itself causes harm. A closely related problem is the manner in which harm has been defined — harm is most commonly framed in terms of standards and sensibilities such as religious values or sexual mores. Rarely are there attempts to quantify harm in terms of objectively measurable symptoms (e.g., sleep disorder, anxiety). . .

instead of thinking of swearing as uniformly harmful or morally wrong, more meaningful information about swearing can be obtained by asking what communication goals swearing achieves. Swear words can achieve a number of outcomes, as when used positively for joking or storytelling, stress management, fitting in with the crowd, or as a substitute for physical aggression. Recent work by Stephens et al. even shows that swearing is associated with enhanced pain tolerance. This finding suggests swearing has a cathartic effect, which many of us may have personally experienced in frustration or in response to pain. Despite this empirical evidence, the positive consequences of swearing are commonly disregarded in the media.
I have never seen someone fight so hard in favor of poor manners.