Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Construction Of The Wall Has Started
I was skeptical and figured it would be one of those things that would keep being delayed and delayed and delayed, but it looks like Trump is actually coming through with his promise, and it's happening now:

Quote:On a remote stretch of border in New Mexico, the newest installment of President Donald Trump’s border wall began construction Monday.

“It’s 18 feet high. The bollards are filled with concrete. You got rebar running up inside. It goes six feet underground and two feet of concrete on top of that,” says El Paso Sector Chief Aaron Hull. “A wall isn’t designed to stop everybody. But you would have to be one of the more determined illegal aliens to scale it, get through it or dig under it.”

The new bollard style wall is one of three going up this year along the U.S.-Mexican border.

Installation of this 20-mile section replaces a vehicle barrier in Santa Teresa, New Mexico.

A similar two-mile project is under construction in Calexico, California, and a third is set to begin later this year in San Diego.

Hull says Santa Teresa has become the sector’s most active crossing point for human and drug smuggling, making it a top priority nationally for a wall.

“It’s just too easy for them to cross in this area and disappear into the urban communities to the north,” says Hull. “The proximity of highways on both sides of the fence make it very attractive for criminals, smugglers and illegals to get in and out quickly. That’s why we need the wall: to deter, to stop illegal traffic.”

I love it because it's more of Trump showing that he's not made of empty promises and all-around empty rhetoric. He's actually putting America first, like he promised.

I guess the media is too busy talking about Stormy Daniels to pay attention to things actually pertaining to the country, but I'm loving this.

Everyone keeps talking about construction costs and maintenance, but won't that just be benefiting the American economy by spending money here for supplies and labor costs?
Side note:
I wish they would let us purchase a brick or section with our names on it. Would be proud to have my families name up there. My buddy brought this up a couple of weeks ago when we were out and it would be cool.
Quote:"Installation of this 20-mile section replaces a vehicle barrier in Santa Teresa, New Mexico."

They are continuing to maintain and replace existing barriers.  They don't even own the land they need to build a wall yet.

Smoke and mirrors.

Oh, and Mexico still isn't paying for it, the POTUS is using OUR tax money for his vanity project....so I'm not "buying a brick".  lol.  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Who is paying for this thing anyways?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Somehow we went from having a new wall paid for by Mexico to us just updating our existing fences on our own dimes.

Winning.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(04-10-2018, 11:10 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Somehow we went from having a new wall paid for by Mexico to us just updating our existing fences on our own dimes.

Winning.

Yeah, the promise was that we'd have a wall and someone else would pay for it.  Not sure how excited anyone can be when something that was advertised as being free is being delivered with a price tag, but ehh.  Trump is a salesman, and the best one on earth according to some, so the idea that he's pulling the ol' switcheroo on us is pretty unsurprising.

Sort of like a used car salesman. Sells you on the sticker price and then once you get your checkbook out he starts mentioning all those hidden fees and upcharges and mandatory options and blah blah blah. Ah well, build the wall I guess and keep on printing more money to pay for it. On and on.
(04-10-2018, 11:18 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, the promise was that we'd have a wall and someone else would pay for it.  Not sure how excited anyone can be when something that was advertised as being free is being delivered with a price tag, but ehh.  Trump is a salesman, and the best one on earth according to some, so the idea that he's pulling the ol' switcheroo on us is pretty unsurprising.

Sort of like a used car salesman.  Sells you on the sticker price and then once you get your checkbook out he starts mentioning all those hidden fees and upcharges and mandatory options and blah blah blah.  Ah well, build the wall I guess and keep on printing more money to pay for it.  On and on.

"You're getting a new Corvette and your neighbor is paying for it."

"Sweet!"

"Ok, here is your new Corvette."

"That's just my old Volkswagen Jetta."

"Yea, I gave it a new paint job and put new tires on it. It's a Corvette. That'll be $1,000,000"

"Thanks for following through with your promises. I can't believe the liberal media won't report about how much good you are doing"

(04-10-2018, 11:39 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: "You're getting a new Corvette and your neighbor is paying for it."

"Sweet!"

"Ok, here is your new Corvette."

"That's just my old Volkswagen Jetta."

"Yea, I gave it a new paint job and put new tires on it. It's a Corvette. That'll be $1,000,000"

"Thanks for following through with your promises. I can't believe the liberal media won't report about how much good you are doing"

Oh man, I can imagine the next election where we have "YOU GET A FREE WALL" Trump versus "YOU GET A FREE CAR" Oprah!  In both cases they get the masses all fired up and cheering before the tax man shows up and gives them a bill to show them what "FREE STUFF" costs for the average American schlub.

Then again, the right-wing has been buttering us up with promises of FREE JINOGISM for decades now.  Remember when Reagan was going to give us a laser-based defenses system AND lower our taxes?!  He sure wiped the floor with Mondale who admitted he and Regan would both raise taxes and offered little to no laser-based promises.  How about Obama and his FREE PHONE promises?  

Oh politics, you sure don't change much.  

Actually, this also reminds me of when my cousin asked me if I could try to fix his computer. I found out that his crazy ass wife had literally clicked on every YOU WIN A FREE XXX and downloaded every FREE DOWNLOAD OF XXX banner the internet could throw at her. Lordy loo, what a mess. Then again, I can't blame her because how often do you luck into being THE 1,000,0000th VISITOR TO THIS WEBSITE and get a FREE PRIZE!!!!!??? Quite a lot, actually.
(04-10-2018, 11:10 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Somehow we went from having a new wall paid for by Mexico to us just updating our existing fences on our own dimes.

Winning.

Your right. Let’s just march into Mexico and secure the northern part of Mexico since the Mexican government is not capable.
(04-10-2018, 12:09 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Your right. Let’s just march into Mexico and secure the northern part of Mexico since the Mexican government is not capable.

Pull a Putin.

(04-10-2018, 12:22 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Pull a Putin.

Mexico and Central America is a problem. We should have never given Mexico back half their country.
(04-10-2018, 12:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Mexico and Central America is a problem.  We should have never given Mexico back half their country.

Some 19th century foreign policy to go with our 19th century economic policy. 

[Image: imperio-britanico-inglaterra.jpg]

(04-10-2018, 12:26 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Mexico and Central America is a problem.  We should have never given Mexico back half their country.

Yes, why "give" them "their" country.   Mellow

Winning.

How do you figure that we're just updating the fences?  Did you even read the article?

Also, Mexico may not have paid for it yet (and may not ever), but are we supposed to expect other people to pay to protect our own people and our own borders?

Trump did say that Mexico would, and maybe they will, but Democrats get hung up on who's going to pay for it so they can ignore the fact that it's a good idea that will save us money in the future and pay for itself, even if Mexico doesn't end up paying for it.
(04-10-2018, 12:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: How do you figure that we're just updating the fences?  Did you even read the article?

Well I quoted the article:

Quote:"Installation of this 20-mile section replaces a vehicle barrier in Santa Teresa, New Mexico."

(04-10-2018, 12:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Also, Mexico may not have paid for it yet (and may not ever), but are we supposed to expect other people to pay to protect our own people and our own borders?

No we are not...but rubes voted for a man who said it would happen so we get to poke fun at them while he raids our taxes to pay for it.

(04-10-2018, 12:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Trump did say that Mexico would, and maybe they will, but Democrats get hung up on who's going to pay for it so they can ignore the fact that it's a good idea that will save us money in the future and pay for itself, even if Mexico doesn't end up paying for it.

None of that is provable. It's folly to think it will "save us money" and delusional to say it will "pay for itself". It is a waste of time and energy on a project that will do little except make scared people think they are safer when they are not.
(04-10-2018, 12:31 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Some 19th century foreign policy to go with our 19th century economic policy. 

[Image: imperio-britanico-inglaterra.jpg]

Mexico is an actual threat because they are so corrupt. They could easily be smacking down the rest of Central America with our backing but yet they choose to take the corruption route.
(04-10-2018, 12:55 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: How do you figure that we're just updating the fences?  Did you even read the article?

Also, Mexico may not have paid for it yet (and may not ever), but are we supposed to expect other people to pay to protect our own people and our own borders?

Trump did say that Mexico would, and maybe they will, but Democrats get hung up on who's going to pay for it so they can ignore the fact that it's a good idea that will save us money in the future and pay for itself, even if Mexico doesn't end up paying for it.

For me the wall is irrelevant, if it gets built or who pays for it is not my concern. I want serious restrictions on that southern border, anyone coming from the south needs to be treated as invaders. With serious repercussions for Mexico if they reach our. Border. Likewise serious rewards if they do their jobs and stabilize the south.

I figure that because Congress only appropriated money for existing fences, not constructing new fences. So we're updating and replacing what's already in place. That's nothing new and it's not following through with any campaign promises.

Also, part of the promise was this multi billion dollar waste of money would be paid for by someone else. You can't say a promise was kept when every aspect of it wasn't.

$70 billion to build, $100 million per year to maintain.

Wouldn't it have been better to pay a couple guys to dig a shallow trench, fill it with $70 billion and light that **** on fire? Ok, maybe not better, but as equally ineffective and a lot more entertaining.

More entertaining than what?
Why, more entertaining than watching folks swim around a wall, go through easily dug tunnels underneath the wall or by simply climbing over the wall.

A $70 billion security blanket for people scared of immigrants is one of the reasons our deficit is increasing again. What a waste.
What kind of idiot builds an actual physical wall? If you're trying to increase border security wouldn't it be more efficient to built an HD surveillance camera on top of a 50 foot post every mile or two?