Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordy Glenn
(02-04-2020, 10:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is mystifying some of the offense play selections and the comments earlier about Dalton now having the pass rush in his head isn't just falling on the lack of protection, but he had a stable of targets that did not get quick separation. Ross had an amazing game against the Seahawks, and here I am dreaming about how now teams will be playing so far off him,  they will attack with short screens and crossing routes.  Never happened.  Dalton would appear to hold on to the ball too long because he didn't have any phone-booth quick guys that gave him a good target.  So many passes were contested.  Couple that with an offense designed to get the ball out quick, and you have a recipe for disaster.

They still need a WR that has very good short space quickness.  I thought this was going to be Gio, but it appears not.  

Cannot have an Offense focusing on getting the ball out quick and then run long developing routes lol
Reply/Quote
We need to bring Whitworth back. Whether it be at guard ir tackle
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 07:43 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: We need to bring Whitworth back. Whether it be at guard ir tackle

No we don't.  He looked old last year and at 39 he will look worse this year.

But I bet he will go into coaching and I love to bring him back then.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 07:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No we don't.  He looked old last year and at 39 he will look worse this year.

I am for this for sure.

Assistant Line Coach would probably be what he would start off at.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 07:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No we don't.  He looked old last year and at 39 he will look worse this year.

He would have still been our highest rated OL last year. Bringing him back makes absolute sense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 07:58 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He would have still been our highest rated OL last year. Bringing him back makes absolute sense.

Either way, want Whit back here. He would play LG if he came back as a player and that could extend his career.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 08:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Either way, want Whit back here. He would play LG if he came back as a player and that could extend his career.

He graded out at 72.8 last year. That’s still starter quality. Just because he’s not All Pro anymore doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be better than most of the guys we currently have.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 07:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I am for this for sure.

Assistant Line Coach would probably be what he would start off at.

Why not hold a player/manager role like Petey? He could be on the roster and still coach during the week and the day of the game.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 08:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He graded out at 72.8 last year. That’s still starter quality. Just because he’s not All Pro anymore doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be better than most of the guys we currently have.

Isn't that a better grade than all of our Lineman?

Sounds like a big time upgrade if he can do that for another year.

And at LG between hopefully a future All Pro in Jonah and a decent Center to his right could happen...

(02-05-2020, 08:08 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Why not hold a player/manager role like Petey? He could be on the roster and still coach during the week and the day of the game.

Sounds good to me.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 08:05 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: He graded out at 72.8 last year. That’s still starter quality. Just because he’s not All Pro anymore doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be better than most of the guys we currently have.

But that was a significant drop off from the year before.  And at 39 he will drop off more this year.

Whit is one of my all time favorite Bengals, but I don't want to bring him back as a player
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2020, 08:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Either way, want Whit back here. He would play LG if he came back as a player and that could extend his career.

I think that when a player loses the skills to play tackle he also loses the skills to play guard.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 01:53 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Isn't that a better grade than all of our Lineman?

Sounds like a big time upgrade if he can do that for another year.

And at LG between hopefully a future All Pro in Jonah and a decent Center to his right could happen...

Pending how well Jonah Williams presents, Whitworth would certainly have been our best OL, and by a huge margin over any interior OL currently on the roster. (If you're thinking Whit at G)

From a leadership perspective, having a guy like Whitworth next to him would be fantastic for Williams development.

(Btw, clear some space in your inbox.  I tried to send you a PM, and it was full)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 02:09 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think that when a player loses the skills to play tackle he also loses the skills to play guard.

At 39 I could definitely see why you would think that. But Whit was still better than all our Lineman last year, he is smart and
switching to Guard has extended the careers of lots of OT's in the NFL.

(02-06-2020, 02:12 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pending how well Jonah Williams presents, Whitworth would certainly have been our best OL, and by a huge margin over any interior OL currently on the roster. (If you're thinking Whit at G)

From a leadership perspective, having a guy like Whitworth next to him would be fantastic for Williams development.

(Btw, clear some space in your inbox.  I tried to send you a PM, and it was full)

Agreed, it is not only O-line play that Whit would be upgrading, leadership is something we need and it would be nice for him to
work with Joe Burrow his fellow LSU alum. (Thanks for that, will do Sunset).
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2020, 12:04 PM)spazz70 Wrote: So last year he was inserted at LG with Williams at LT making possibly a formidable left side of the line..  he has a high salary but we have a low salary LT with, hopefully, Jonah coming back healthy.  IF Glenn is still wanting to play would this option be open again this year?  Draft a RT and the only open spot would maybe be RG.....  Thoughts?
The guy was fined over $600,000 for piss poor conduct as a teammate.  One big reason to get rid of him.  2-14 teams don't need trouble makers.

If he's traded or cut by June 1, 2020, his cap hit is zero.  One big reason to move him.

He has zero trade value.  One big reason he will be cut.

I think Glenn gets cut without any thought of extending.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2020, 02:41 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: The guy was fined over $600,000 for piss poor conduct as a teammate.  One big reason to get rid of him.  2-14 teams don't need trouble makers.

If he's traded or cut by June 1, 2020, his cap hit is zero.  One big reason to move him.

He has zero trade value.  One big reason he will be cut.

I think Glenn gets cut without any thought of extending.

Would be nice to trade him for a pick though, better than just cutting Glenn. Anything we can get would be nice.
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2020, 10:37 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is mystifying some of the offense play selections and the comments earlier about Dalton now having the pass rush in his head isn't just falling on the lack of protection, but he had a stable of targets that did not get quick separation. Ross had an amazing game against the Seahawks, and here I am dreaming about how now teams will be playing so far off him,  they will attack with short screens and crossing routes.  Never happened.  Dalton would appear to hold on to the ball too long because he didn't have any phone-booth quick guys that gave him a good target.  So many passes were contested.  Couple that with an offense designed to get the ball out quick, and you have a recipe for disaster.

They still need a WR that has very good short space quickness.  I thought this was going to be Gio, but it appears not.  

I agree, the team needs a WR who's going to get open short as well as stretch the field. A better line that can hold up would certainly help though.

Gio is done from what I can see. It's been several years since he contributed much. Ross' amazing game was one out of 48 games he's been on the team. No idea when his next one will be.

Reply/Quote
He would be the 11th highest paid guard if moved there in the league. Only half a mill behind Decastro. For 9.5 mill we better get a probowl guy not someone that may work out or may not. Send his ass packing and use the money to improve. The big key is use the money to improve and not just give it out to guys already on the team to just hit the cap floor ala Gio and Hart.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2020, 06:26 PM)WhodeyRay Wrote: He would be the 11th highest paid guard if moved there in the league. Only half a mill behind Decastro. For 9.5 mill we better get a probowl guy not someone that may work out or may not. Send his ass packing and use the money to improve. The big key is use the money to improve and not just give it out to guys already on the team to just hit the cap floor ala Gio and Hart.

Agreed and Glenn is soft in the run game, bring in a guy that can drive block and pass protect. 

Enough with the one trick ponies. You don't go and pay one that much dough that is not a natural Guard and is soft.
Reply/Quote