Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cowboys Just hired Alexabder as their line coach
(01-16-2018, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually it does suit my argument.  How much a player gets paid indicates how much a team values him.  People claimed that the Bengals did not care about winning because they played Peko and paid him decently.  So when the team that had just won a Super Bowl a year showed how much they valued him it was proof that paying Peko had nothing to do with "not caring about winning".

That's entirely possible, and Peko did a fair job for the Bronco's this season.  However, it would seem to me that the amount of the contract had more to do with supply and demand, rather than with Peko being a great player.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 03:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure what you are trying to say.

The Broncos valued Peko more than Jackson?

Peko was the only DT free agent on the market?

LOL Spinster Fred,

Jackson was given a contract Denver did not want to match.
So they had to overpay for a mediocre player at the position......
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 03:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure what you are trying to say.

The Broncos valued Peko more than Jackson?

Peko was the only DT free agent on the market?

Hilarious   Hilarious Hilarious

Oh how I missed you, Fred. 
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 03:29 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: So they had to overpay for a mediocre player at the position......

Why did they have to overpay?

Why not just sign Peko for the league minimum?  There were plenty of other DTs on the market.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 02:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The fact that so many people here think it is an insult to say someone plays the piano proves my point about how good message boards are at judging coaches.

Chuck Knoll played classical guitar and was fond of chamber music, but a lot of people would be making fun of him as a coach because of it.

It is like a elementary school playground mentality.

Apparently a NFL players thinks he's garbage, just not a message board...
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 02:50 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You completely missed my point.  The fact that Noll was so successful proves my pint about how stupid it is to make fun of a coach because he plays the piano.

And it is 100% making fun of him.  The only people who call him "piano man" are the ones who hate him the most. 

Like I said, it is a elementary school mentality that implies that guys who play piano are "too soft" for football.

Nah... you don't say, here I thought it was because the position he coached, was the worst group on the team.... Silly me
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 04:01 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Nah... you don't say, here I thought it was because the position he coached, was the worst group on the team.... Silly me

What does that have to do with him playing the piano?

Do you even get the point I am making?  Adults don't think it is an insult to say someone plays the piano.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 05:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What does that have to do with him playing the piano?

Do you even get the point I am making?  Adults don't think it is an insult to say someone plays the piano.

If the product of his paying job was good, folks likely wouldn't feel the need to draw attention to his side hobby, in fact he'd likely be admired for it.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
this is absolutely absurd.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 06:24 PM)basballguy Wrote: this is absolutely absurd.

Oh man. Isn't Dallas your 2nd team? That's GOTTA suck.  Sick
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 06:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If the product of his paying job was good, folks likely wouldn't feel the need to draw attention to his side hobby, in fact he'd likely be admired for it.

Still does not explain why fans here consider playing the piano something that can be used as an insult.  It goes back to elementary school when musicians were considered sissy compared to the jocks.

It is just childish.

"Ooh I really hate this guy.  What can I say about him to show how much he disgusts me.  I know......I'll call him a piano player.  EVERYONE will recognize that as an insult."
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2018, 07:04 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well hes got 3 1st rounders to not coach up now

First Rd linemen will make PA look like a great coach. One, because he didn't draft them; Two, he needs high picks who require very little coaching. His failures showed up big time with Ogeebogee and Fisher.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 07:19 PM)Derrick Wrote: First Rd linemen will make PA look like a great coach.

His failures showed up big time with Ogeebogee.

WTF

Do you even think about what you are saying before you post?
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 07:18 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Still does not explain why fans here consider playing the piano something that can be used as an insult.  It goes back to elementary school when musicians were considered sissy compared to the jocks.

It is just childish.

"Ooh I really hate this guy.  What can I say about him to show how much he disgusts me.  I know......I'll call him a piano player.  EVERYONE will recognize that as an insult."

Yeah, I was in elementary school when it came out that Lynn Swann and others did ballet for flexibility and balance.  Room full of boys = minds blown.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 02:36 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Actually it does suit my argument.  How much a player gets paid indicates how much a team values him.  People claimed that the Bengals did not care about winning because they played Peko and paid him decently.  So when the team that had just won a Super Bowl a year showed how much they valued him it was proof that paying Peko had nothing to do with "not caring about winning".

In another thread, you are simultaneously making the argument free agents, like Peko, are overpaid and should be avoided.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 05:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What does that have to do with him playing the piano?

Has nothing to do with playing the piano. People "hated" him because he was a crappy coach.  Maybe, people calling him the Piano Man don't see it as insult, more of a nickname. Don't be so thin skinned, not sure why you are so hung up on this...
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 02:40 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Nah, it was just proof Piano Pauly couldn't ID legitimate NFL talent, and played turds because they were "his" guys. Mellow Livings flopped here too, he was horrible.

This. Same with Ghiaciuc, Andrews, Bodine, etc.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 02:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What it means is that a team that cared enough about winning to bring home a Lombardi valued Brock.  So you can't just say that signing Osweiller is proof that a team does not care about winning.

Understand now?

His point wasn't about whether a team cared about winning. His point was about evaluating free agent talent and how the contract isn't always indicative of talent level. But, you already know that so stop pretending.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 02:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Brady, Brees, and A-Rod are very well paid. 

I don't see your point here.

And now the real Fred is back.  Grace period over.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2018, 07:49 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: In another thread, you are simultaneously making the argument free agents, like Peko, are overpaid and should be avoided.

Post the quote for everyone to see.  What I said was that a team should concentrate on the draft unless they are just a player or two away from contending for a Championship.

Plus my point has nothing to do with wetehr or not the Broncos should have signed Peko.  My point was how wrong the "group think" on this board can be.
Reply/Quote