Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuomo issues crackdown on LGBT conversion therapy
(02-09-2016, 01:16 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: Always dig Python. 

But anyway...
Kids will grow up and get their own ideas.
A parent at least knows they have a base.
A lot of kids will rebel, just because. 
If a parent feels they failed then they either know they didn't give much effort,  or just have low self-esteem and self-loathing issues anyway. 

And if that base is scientology?  Or atheism?

I'm okay with it.

But when a parent tells their child that they always no best and the child can have no thoughts outside of the parent...that is wrong.

Teaching to be a good person?  Great!

Telling them that if they are gay they are sick and need fixed?  Not so great.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-09-2016, 01:27 PM)GMDino Wrote: And if that base is scientology?  Or atheism?

I'm okay with it.

But when a parent tells their child that they always no best and the child can have no thoughts outside of the parent...that is wrong.

Teaching to be a good person?  Great!

Telling them that if they are gay they are sick and need fixed?  Not so great.

I don't agree with the demonizing of the child for being gay either. 
But unless it's ever legally considered child abuse, there is nothing to make the parent act in a civil manner. 
Realistically speaking, I think it is instinctual for a parent to be upset with a gay child.
We are greedy animals that want our DNA to continue into the future. 
That being said,  I would hope we had advanced enough spiritually and philosophically to accept people for who they are.

This makes me wonder if a parent will ever try to sue a gay child for failure to bring forth grandchildren ?
You know some ass will try it, just to be on tv.
(02-09-2016, 01:06 PM)GMDino Wrote: Because YOU know what your child is?  Simply because you are the parent?

I know MANY parents who made bad choices in the "best interest" of their children.

This kind of conceit comes through quite often in your posts.

Yes I do know what's best for my children. I sure know a lot better than some stranger.
(02-09-2016, 12:19 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I agree

The way public education has been manipulated you can make the argument it's been more harmful than any religion.
(02-09-2016, 04:48 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The way public education has been manipulated you can make the argument it's been more harmful than any religion.

Pure nonsense. 

(02-09-2016, 04:49 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Pure nonsense. 

You don't think that public education has an agenda?
(02-09-2016, 04:51 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You don't think that public education has an agenda?

No more so or worse so than religion does. 

You just don't see the religious side of it because you are entrenched in it. 
(02-09-2016, 04:48 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The way public education has been manipulated you can make the argument it's been more harmful than any religion.

Just because you hate the fact that the United States was founded by gay black women that does not give you the right to deny the truth.
(02-09-2016, 04:51 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You don't think that public education has an agenda?

I think most schools in general have an agenda to promote acceptance. 

However, I feel like you're suggesting an organized effort to push other social issues.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-09-2016, 06:27 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think most schools in general have an agenda to promote acceptance. 

However, I feel like you're suggesting an organized effort to push other social issues.

I don't think schools have an agenda,  but there are teachers that pass along their personal biases. 
But, they're only human.
It's going to happen. 
(02-09-2016, 06:57 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I don't think schools have an agenda,  but there are teachers that pass along their personal biases. 
But, they're only human.
It's going to happen. 

Agenda may not be the best word because of the negative connotations, but there is an effort to discourage exclusion and encourage acceptance of diverse groups of people. It may not be telling kids to accept these groups, but they discourage behaviors that single kids out.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-09-2016, 06:27 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I think most schools in general have an agenda to promote acceptance. 

(02-09-2016, 07:24 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Agenda may not be the best word because of the negative connotations, but there is an effort to discourage exclusion and encourage acceptance of diverse groups of people. It may not be telling kids to accept these groups, but they discourage behaviors that single kids out.

That's exactly what I am suggesting. Kids need to be singled out, it's not always a negative to single them out . This goes with the "everyone is a winner". Mindset. Sorry there are winners and losers in all facets of life why should school be any different? I will always contest that all kids need to feel some sort of exclusion and even bullied to an extent. It builds character as also helps develop leaders and outside the via thinkers.. Now this doesn't mean I am into drastic measures but a little bit of exclusion and being bullied is a positive.

If there isn't a group of kids being bullied then there isn't any kid who figures out they are leaders by standing up for the ones getting bullied. We need those people in society and we need to develop them.
(02-09-2016, 06:57 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: I don't think schools have an agenda,  but there are teachers that pass along their personal biases. 
But, they're only human.
It's going to happen. 

I am referring to things like no tolerance rules and everyone is a winner, the teachers aspect of it is small. Even though it is a concern. They think they have good intentions.
(02-09-2016, 08:00 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: That's exactly what I am suggesting.   Kids need to be singled out,  it's not always a negative to single them out .   This goes with the "everyone is a winner". Mindset.    Sorry there are winners and losers in all facets of life why should school be any different?    I will always contest that all kids need to feel some sort of exclusion and even bullied to an extent.    It builds character as also helps develop leaders and outside the via thinkers..    Now this doesn't mean I am into drastic measures but a little bit of exclusion and being bullied  is a positive.    

If there isn't a group of kids being bullied then there isn't any kid who figures out they are leaders by standing up for the ones getting bullied.    We need those people in society and we need to develop them.

Man, I forgot you said that before:

A kid needs to get punched out occasionally to grown into being a "real man".  that the same point you were talking about how int he good old days a MAN would take his son to a ***** house to learn how to have a "proper" relationship with women.

I know we're not suppose to be too personal here...but you sound like a moron.

No, not everyone is a winner.  Not everyone will be your friend. But to encourage bullying in order to "build character" is off the chart stupid compared to simply having winners and losers in a game.
(02-09-2016, 08:23 PM)GMDino Wrote: Man, I forgot you said that before:

A kid needs to get punched out occasionally to grown into being a "real man".  that the same point you were talking about how int he good old days a MAN would take his son to a ***** house to learn how to have a "proper" relationship with women.

I know we're not suppose to be too personal here...but you sound like a moron.

No, not everyone is a winner.  Not everyone will be your friend. But to encourage bullying in order to "build character" is off the chart stupid compared to simply having winners and losers in a game.

How are you supposed to learn how to get back up when you fall?  

How are you supposed to learn how to stand up for the weak?  

I didn't say we need kids getting pummeled. but we don't need to expel kids for bullying.   Everyone needs to face their own buddy revel.  

Yes some kids feel bad, but they also get a choice .... Stand up for themselves and defeat their fear or stay weak.    If they stay weak then another kid gets to break their fear and stand up for them.

On a personal note.... I hope my kids get bullied or are around bullying, they need to know what type of person they are .... Hopefully they will stand up for the weak or stand for themselves. I am confident. Either way it's a learning opportunity.
(02-09-2016, 08:29 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: How are you supposed to learn how to get back up when you fall?  

How are you supposed to learn how to stand up for the weak?  

I didn't say we need kids getting pummeled. but we don't need to expel kids for bullying.   Everyone needs to face their own buddy revel.  

Yes some kids feel bad, but they also get a choice .... Stand up for themselves and defeat their fear or stay weak.    If they stay weak then another kid gets to break their fear and stand up for them.

What a load of malarkey.

Stand up for the weak?  Pffft.  In your world the weak take a good beating to learn that life is hard and the world isn't fair.

How about organized fights so we can make sure kids get matched up with a bully?  That'll make a man out of them!

Fear isn't weakness...it is being aware of what can hurt you.  It is a way to be alert and prepared.

Its burns my balls to have to hear another "manly man" suggest that fighting is the only way to prove you are "strong".  That is the thinking that gets us gangs and our culture where if you disagree with someone then shooting them is a perfectly reasonable way to settle your differences and the like.  Heaven FORBID we teach our kids to respect each other and each others differences when we can tell them to just get roughed up a little...or rough up the other guy a little...so they can "learn".

Ridiculous.

Is it a perfect world?  Of course not.

I was bullied.  I handled it.  I also avoided it because I wasn't dumb enough to think getting punched in the face was a "good idea".  When a bully picked on my son I explained to him what to do if it ever happened again.  It didn't.

I get that it DOES happen but to openly say you WANT it to happen and that somehow it is a GOOD thing is completely and utterly idiotic.  But no surprise based on the source of that "thought".
(02-09-2016, 08:39 PM)GMDino Wrote: What a load of malarkey.

Stand up for the weak?  Pffft.  In your world the weak take a good beating to learn that life is hard and the world isn't fair.

How about organized fights so we can make sure kids get matched up with a bully?  That'll make a man out of them!

Fear isn't weakness...it is being aware of what can hurt you.  It is a way to be alert and prepared.

Its burns my balls to have to hear another "manly man" suggest that fighting is the only way to prove you are "strong".  That is the thinking that gets us gangs and our culture where if you disagree with someone then shooting them is a perfectly reasonable way to settle your differences and the like.  Heaven FORBID we teach our kids to respect each other and each others differences when we can tell them to just get roughed up a little...or rough up the other guy a little...so they can "learn".

Ridiculous.

Is it a perfect world?  Of course not.

I was bullied.  I handled it.  I also avoided it because I wasn't dumb enough to think getting punched in the face was a "good idea".  When a bully picked on my son I explained to him what to do if it ever happened again.  It didn't.

I get that it DOES happen but to openly say you WANT it to happen and that somehow it is a GOOD thing is completely and utterly idiotic.  But no surprise based on the source of that "thought".

1. Or they could stand up for themselves instead of taking a beating.

2. Fear can be a weakness. It either brings out your best or you cower to the fear.

3. How did you handle your bully? Glad to see you passed on that lesson.

The first time you get bullied shouldn't be as an adult. Obviously we don't think alike on this, that's fine, I'm not afraid of whether my kids will get hurt or not. I think it's important they get challenged. We all need to fail and learn how to bounce back.

And bullying isn't always a fist fight lol
(02-09-2016, 08:53 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: 1. Or they could stand up for themselves instead of taking a beating.  

2. Fear can be a weakness.   It either brings out your best or you cower to the fear.    

3. How did you handle your bully?   Glad to see you passed on that lesson.  

The first time you get bullied shouldn't be as an adult.    Obviously we don't think alike on this, that's fine, I'm not afraid of whether my kids will get hurt or not.    I think it's important they get challenged.   We all need to fail and learn how to bounce back.    

And bullying isn't always a fist fight lol

Once again the simple fact that you "think" that bullying is good in any way shape and form shows what kind of human being you are and why I feel sorry for you and whoever you are responsible for in life.  Physical or mental it is never a good thing to beat or belittle a fellow human being to"teach them a lesson".

Especially a child.

You are  waste.

Given your staunch approach to religion and personal responsibility I'd hope you would be better than this as a person.

Apparently not.
(02-09-2016, 09:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: Once again the simple fact that you "think" that bullying is good in any way shape and form shows what kind of human being you are and why I feel sorry for you and whoever you are responsible for in life.  Physical or mental it is never a good thing to beat or belittle a fellow human being to"teach them a lesson".

Especially a child.

You are  waste.

Given your staunch approach to religion and personal responsibility I'd hope you would be better than this as a person.

Apparently not.

So I am a bad guy because I think it's a positive life lesson when bullying is involved?

Take an hour and think about that please. Instead of just jumping on whatever bumper sticker platitude you are choosing today .
(02-08-2016, 12:19 PM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe I just have seen to many bad things about this kind of therapy and how it has been shown to be ineffective over and over.

All the ruling eliminates is the insurance paying for it.  You can still get it, but it will be an out of pocket expense.  To me that might make someone think a little harder about it.

Great, let's do the same with GID Reassignment surgery and make sure that NO ONE under the age of 18 can have it done to them (with or with out their consent), after all, we have to protect the children and that it's an out of pocket expense, not covered by insurance.

To me, that might make someone think a little harder about it.