Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cuomo issues crackdown on LGBT conversion therapy
(02-08-2016, 06:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I suppose the line is drawn at 18. Of course any good parent would take their child's wishes into the equation; however, at the end of the day, you are the adult.

Not really thinking age, more along the lines of subject. Drug abuse, cutting (as Dino mentioned) are obvious to step into. Sexual activity could be. Orientation, probably not. If the kid's happy and not in danger, I wouldn't.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-08-2016, 06:56 PM)Benton Wrote: Not really thinking age, more along the lines of subject. Drug abuse, cutting (as Dino mentioned) are obvious to step into. Sexual activity could be. Orientation, probably not. If the kid's happy and not in danger, I wouldn't.

Do you consider same sex attraction to be wrong? (I will say I was surprised that Dino admitted that he did)

That is how the question was posed and pretty sure it is the crux of the discussion. With this ruling a parent that does consider same sex attraction to be wrong and possibly hurtful to their child can no longer have counseling covered under their insurance. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(02-08-2016, 07:04 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Do you consider same sex attraction to be wrong? (I will say I was surprised that Dino admitted that he did)

That is how the question was posed and pretty sure it is the crux of the discussion. With this ruling a parent that does consider same sex attraction to be wrong and possibly hurtful to their child can no longer have counseling covered under their insurance. 

Not any more wrong than being a Buddhist, which is where my question earlier came from. In the end, if either of my kids said they were either (gay or a Buddhist), I'd just tell them to find what makes them happy, even if it doesn't make sense to me.
(02-08-2016, 07:13 PM)Benton Wrote: Not any more wrong than being a Buddhist, which is where my question earlier came from. In the end, if either of my kids said they were either (gay or a Buddhist), I'd just tell them to find what makes them happy, even if it doesn't make sense to me.

I will say I find it shocking that a Christian would not continually try to convert their child to Christianity, just because the were happy worshiping a statue of a fat monk.

(02-08-2016, 07:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I will say I find it shocking that a Christian would not continually try to convert their child to Christianity, just because the were happy worshiping a statue of a fat monk.

I hope the life I live would bring them back, not me sending them to counseling. An ounce of example is worth a pound of reaction.
(02-08-2016, 07:33 PM)Benton Wrote: I hope the life I live would bring them back, not me sending them to counseling. An ounce of example is worth a pound of reaction.

Let's just say it is one of the many things concerning Christianity that we disagree on.

I would/did send my child to Vacation Bible Study, Summer camps and other such programs where they are counseled on Jesus and his teaching, as well as continually sharing his word with the child; especially if they told me they were Buddhist. 

(02-08-2016, 07:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Let's just say it is one of the many things concerning Christianity that we disagree on.

I would/did send my child to Vacation Bible Study, Summer camps and other such programs where they are counseled on Jesus and his teaching, as well as continually sharing his word with the child; especially if they told me they were Buddhist. 

I wouldn't lump VBS and counseling with a mental health professional in the same category. 
(02-08-2016, 08:01 PM)Benton Wrote: I wouldn't lump VBS and counseling with a mental health professional in the same category. 

Neither would I. Who said that?

I just found an apathetic approach to a Christian's child religious beliefs to be shocking; as I said.

I also wouldn't equate same sex attraction to beliefs in Christ, as you did. I would have zero issue with my son being the biggest flamer on the face of the earth; as long as I did all I could to lead him to the light. However, not sure I could live with myself, knowing my child did not believe in Christ and I didn't actively try to lead him to Christ; regardless how happy the child was worshiping Buddha.   

(02-08-2016, 07:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  I would/did send my child to Vacation Bible Study, Summer camps and other such programs where they are counseled on Jesus and his teaching, as well as continually sharing his word with the child; especially if they told me they were Buddhist. 

(02-08-2016, 08:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Neither would I. Who said that?

Mellow
(02-08-2016, 08:20 PM)Benton Wrote: Mellow

Thanks for showing I didn't say it. 

We will just leave it at: I would do all I can to lead my child to Christ, but you would not as long as they were happy. 

(02-08-2016, 08:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks for showing I didn't say it. 

We will just leave it at: I would do all I can to lead my child to Christ, but you would not as long as they were happy. 

Or...

I believe leading people to Christ is best done by actions, whereas you're content with indoctrination programs.

Mellow
(02-08-2016, 08:53 PM)Benton Wrote: Or...

I believe leading people to Christ is best done by actions, whereas you're content with indoctrination programs.

Mellow

Nowhere have I said it is not best to lead folks to Christ through your actions;  nor have I said I am content with indoctrination programs. This is just something you made up  for some reason. You should be ashamed of yourself and this action.

(02-08-2016, 07:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I would/did send my child to Vacation Bible Study, Summer camps and other such programs where they are counseled on Jesus and his teaching, as well as continually sharing his word with the child; especially if they told me they were Buddhist. 

(02-08-2016, 09:20 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nowhere have I said it is not best to lead folks to Christ through your actions;  nor have I said I am content with indoctrination programs. This is just something you made up  for some reason. You should be ashamed of yourself and this action.

You don't think that sending your kid to a vacation bible study / summer camps isn't indoctrination??? lol ok
(02-08-2016, 09:24 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: You don't think that sending your kid to a vacation bible study / summer camps isn't indoctrination??? lol ok

Of course they can be; where have I said differently? (only 1 question mark for me) I merely challenged the lie that I stated or suggested anywhere that I was content with such measures.  They are simply one of many tools used to lead your children to a life of love in Christ.  

(02-08-2016, 09:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course they can be; where have I said differently? (only 1 question mark for me) I merely challenged the lie that I stated or suggested anywhere that I was content with such measures.  They are simply one of many tools used to lead your children to a life of love in Christ.  

If you aren't content with indoctrination programs then why did you send your kid to one? Seems like you are more than content with them, or at least your actions portray it to be that way.
(02-08-2016, 09:35 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: If you aren't content with indoctrination programs then why did you send your kid to one? Seems like you are more than content with them, or at least your actions portray it to be that way.

Because content indicates "not needing more"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/content

As I said it is a very useful tool; but I would not be content with just sending my children or any loved child to VBS. I would want more for/from them

I would include church/ Sunday School attendance and personal deeds as a couple other tools.  

Do you get it now?

(02-08-2016, 09:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Of course they can be; where have I said differently? (only 1 question mark for me) I merely challenged the lie that I stated or suggested anywhere that I was content with such measures.  They are simply one of many tools used to lead your children to a life of love in Christ.  

(02-08-2016, 09:58 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because content indicates "not needing more"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/content

As I said it is a very useful tool; but I would not be content with just sending my children or any loved child to VBS. I would want more for/from them

I would include church/ Sunday School attendance and personal deeds as a couple other tools.  

Do you get it now?

Ah I get it now. You're more than happy to indoctrinate a child... that's pretty sad honestly.
(02-08-2016, 10:15 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Ah I get it now. You're more than happy to indoctrinate a child... that's pretty sad honestly.

I see the truly sad thing as someone who does not introduce the doctrine of Christ to their children.

I have no idea what that has to do with what we were discussing, but whatever. 

(02-08-2016, 10:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I see the truly sad thing as someone who does not introduce the doctrine of Christ to their children.

I have no idea what that has to do with what we were discussing, but whatever. 

To introduce the doctrine to children is fine... it's wrong when you indoctrinate them into it though. I guess you have no problem with that though.
(02-08-2016, 10:25 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: To introduce the doctrine to children is fine... it's wrong when you indoctrinate them into it though. I guess you have no problem with that though.

You are correct: I have no problem with people, including children, to accept the word of Christ without question or doubt.

What one should question is the best way they he or she can follow/share that doctrine.