Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cut/Waiver/Released/Traded/IR Tracker
(08-29-2023, 02:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: That's why I feel he should be brought back on PS.

I certainly agree with that [bringing Chrisman back on PS]. And I suspect that Chrisman would not be a big enough upgrade over other teams' punters that there would be a risk of losing him to another team. He's a class act, was an improvement over a declining Huber, and I would love to see him back on the PS. (Although for his sake, it would be nice he made the 53 somewhere.)
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 02:12 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Chrisman can boom it 50+ with good hangtime, so could Huber.

Robbins' issue is length: he can't boom it and his only punt over 45 I think it was, was because it rolled a bunch of yards.

A double entendre (of sorts), as I'm sure that moustache is itchy.

I'm pretty sure Robbins did hit a 60 yard punt in the preseason. I believe it was the Green Bay game and it was one that almost wanted to check up at the 5. I could be wrong but I believe he did. But he does seem to be inconsistent in that regard with trending toward shorter punts.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 02:33 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm pretty sure Robbins did hit a 60 yard punt in the preseason. I believe it was the Green Bay game and it was one that almost wanted to check up at the 5. I could be wrong but I believe he did. But he does seem to be inconsistent in that regard with trending toward shorter punts.

Correct, 65 yarder against Green Bay. 
Reply/Quote
I’m fine with a punt that goes 10 yards shorter but gives our guys a chance to get up the field.

Glad Chrisman has recovered from whatever medical issue he had but after that punt in AFCCG where he kicked it down the returners throat I never wanted to see him again so I’m happy about this.
Reply/Quote
Since this thread has devolved into a forum on our punter(s), I will weigh in with this: I attended all Bengals home games last year and observed warmups from the south end zone seats. Chrisman's hang time and distance was consistently less than the opponent's punter -- by a LOT. Every week. I can't critique direction because I didn't know where they were trying to place the punt. But the guy absolutely does not have a strong leg by NFL standards.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 01:48 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Or maybe they think releasing fringe guys earlier gives them a better shot to catch on elsewhere?  

Basham earlier fits the mold, but today is today. I don't get why they just don't out the roster all at 9nce instead of the dribble-dribble. Is there a practical reason? 

May have a list of 60 letting 61+ go
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 01:48 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Or maybe they think releasing fringe guys earlier gives them a better shot to catch on elsewhere?  

Basham earlier fits the mold, but today is today. I don't get why they just don't out the roster all at 9nce instead of the dribble-dribble. Is there a practical reason? 
The Bengals haven't released anything. All the news has been released by individual players, their agents, or media. The team will put out the entire list by 4pm. For guys on the waiver list, getting publically released at 9am is no different than it being known at 3. It makes a difference for veterans who become free agents.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 10:39 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Really, he isn't: unlike McCoy (whom everyone wants all of a sudden), he has a significantly-better resume and numbers.

Siemien just played awful all camp and PS, I'm honestly surprised how terribly he performed.

Maybe he's not conducive to our system...

57.3% Completion over the last 3 years is a complete non-starter for that argument for me. Never had even a 60% completion season (which is still sub-par in today's NFL) in his career.

If you can't complete passes, you can't play QB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 02:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 57.3% Completion over the last 3 years is a complete non-starter for that argument for me. Never had even a 60% completion season (which is still sub-par in today's NFL) in his career.

I agree and coaches to married to backup players that know the system versus can make a play if called on. Zac liked Brandon Allen and Callahan like Siemian. Browning I thought was #2 last year.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 02:33 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: I'm pretty sure Robbins did hit a 60 yard punt in the preseason. I believe it was the Green Bay game and it was one that almost wanted to check up at the 5. I could be wrong but I believe he did. But he does seem to be inconsistent in that regard with trending toward shorter punts.

Mhm, that's the roller.

(08-29-2023, 02:52 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: 57.3% Completion over the last 3 years is a complete non-starter for that argument for me. Never had even a 60% completion season (which is still sub-par in today's NFL) in his career.

You are correct... and his numbers are still better than McCoy's, in less games and snaps to boot.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
There is a lot of debate on Chrisman/Robbins in this thread. Chrisman's primary issue is his hangtime. During the 2022 regular season, he ranked second to last in average hangtime with 3.89 seconds. That is who he is. His average hangtime in college varied from 3.72 to 3.89. He is able to get good distance on his punts, but they come down quickly. That's an issue.

Why Robbins won out is that his leg is only marginally weaker than Chrisman's but his hangtime is notably better. Using data from the 2022 regular season, punters with similar hangtime and YPA as Robbins have a return rate of 42-ish%. That's right at league average. For reference, Drue Chrisman had a return rate of 50% last season, worse than league average.

Will Robbins end up being an amazing punter? Probably not. Will he be better than Chrisman? Yes.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 02:27 PM)ChaseThis Wrote: Chrisman, is that you? 

I’m not necessarily pro-Drue. Just anti-Robbins.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
I saw that Greedy Williams got cut by the Eagles. I remember when the Browns drafted him everyone thought it was some great bit of luck.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 03:07 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: There is a lot of debate on Chrisman/Robbins in this thread. Chrisman's primary issue is his hangtime. During the 2022 regular season, he ranked second to last in average hangtime with 3.89 seconds. That is who he is. His average hangtime in college varied from 3.72 to 3.89. He is able to get good distance on his punts, but they come down quickly. That's an issue.

Why Robbins won out is that his leg is only marginally weaker than Chrisman's but his hangtime is notably better. Using data from the 2022 regular season, punters with similar hangtime and YPA as Robbins have a return rate of 42-ish%. That's right at league average. For reference, Drue Chrisman had a return rate of 50% last season, worse than league average.

Will Robbins end up being an amazing punter? Probably not. Will he be better than Chrisman? Yes.

You don’t waste a draft pick on a punter who is only useful in certain situations. And during inclement weather, good hangtime isn’t achievable, so you hope your guy can bang it a ways with some directional accuracy.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 02:17 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: No I read your post correct.  Im just pointing out if you dont like short punts and field position Robbins is going to be a disappointment.  If your team has to be at midfield before the punter can do anything, he isnt much of a punter.

What you're not understanding is this offense far more than not will move the ball and get plenty of 1st downs. They'll also stahl out more drives out by the 40-50 yard line so you want a guy that can give you hang time. It's not just about booming the ball.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 12:11 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Raymond Johnson??? Don’t get that one.

Hasta la vista Siemian and Adeniji.

I think Johnson's a mistake.   Really liked the way he played.
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 03:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Mhm, that's the roller.

No I think the one that rolled was punted back from our own end zone coming down at or near the 50. The commentator even mentioned that it looked like it hit something. The one I'm talking about hit and almost checked up at the 5 but ended up in the end zone. So maybe had 10 yds of bounce before that.
Reply/Quote
Anyway away from the who can boot the ball really high contest.

Kuntz has been cut by the Jets plenty in here had him on their boards all depends on if we are happy with Hudson and Wilcox as TE3 and 4
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 03:43 PM)BengalsLUFC Wrote: Anyway away from the who can boot the ball really high contest.

Kuntz has been cut by the Jets plenty in here had him on their boards all depends on if we are happy with Hudson and Wilcox as TE3 and 4

I thought Round 6 for sure, but we went with Robbins. 

He just might be a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" kind of guy. Or at least really raw. 

If we keep 3 TEs, I doubt it. 4? Then maybe. 
Reply/Quote
(08-29-2023, 04:01 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I thought Round 6 for sure, but we went with Robbins. 

He just might be a "looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" kind of guy. Or at least really raw. 

If we keep 3 TEs, I doubt it. 4? Then maybe. 

Kuntz supposedly has zero love for the game at all.  He basically just played in college because of his athletic traits.  
Reply/Quote