Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dalton POed
Mike Brown the QB Slayer!
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 06:50 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: And if he doesn't?
You gonna eat those words?

I will eat them.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 08:47 PM)Destro Wrote: Taylor knew he was going to do it. Not like Andy stunk it up against the Rams and he had to do something. ( Jax game he was much, much worse against a worse team. ). Should have been first thing Tuesday. Birthday aside, the timing is sketchy.

But he did stink it up.  He missed throws to open receivers, while the game was still in a competitive frame, at least one that would have been a for-sure TD.

I think waiting until after the 8th game was wishy-washy on the part of the team.  If they were going to bench him and check out the kid, they should have done that 3 or 4 games ago.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Quote:OswaldsLegacy
This is such a terrible way to handle things.  Good to see that the majority of the board agree with this.  

Had to be done. Why so terrible? It's not up to Andy to leave since he has a contract. He can retire, but he can't go to another team. Dude has victories, but no playoff wins. Most convincingly, he's 0-8 as a leader of the offense. If you don't bench him and try something new then you get bashed for that also.

Quote:I don't buy for one moment that this is to "see what they have in Finley."  Since we still won't really see anything.  The terrible OLine, the lack of running game, and no consistency on defense.  Oh, well Finley may have Green out there, so he may perform slightly better.  If you really want me to buy the Finley nonsense, then bench Green for a few games as well.  Let us see what Finley can do under the same circumstances, especially against the Ravens and Steelers.

What? Why wouldn't you see what you have in Finley if you are 0-8? So what if he looses you a game or 2 or all? It let's you refocus on the draft or even give Dolegala a try to see what he's got. Plus, if he wins? SHEEET, you start to see things in the micro-dish. As for Green, watch his interview about the benching and then rethink. 

Quote:I don't dislike Finley, I wouldn't have a problem with him taking over for Dalton, however this looks like they are just floundering along with no real plan in place.  If that is the case, then that would explain players looking lost out there on the field.

Again, watch the interview with AJ and others regarding the benching. You get a sense they feel this is a positive thing.

Quote:The other telling thing from this interview is that basically ZT has admitted to Dalton that this is his last year here.  Either they are moving on with Finley or they will be drafting a QB with their 1st round pick.  Either way, Dalton isn't in the plans.

Not true. 0-8 team realizing they are 0-8. Time to see what other players they are paying can bring to the table. Time to actually re-evaluate everything.

Quote:This doesn't look good no matter how you try to spin it.

Actually, no offense, but I've been hoping for this for a few weeks now. And although I understand where you are coming from, I hope the moves bring some good things (Damnit Marvin)! But it wont. Everything I've hoped for years where the Bengals are concerned crashes to the ground in a fiery demise. But? Maybe this time it's different?  Cool

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But he did stink it up.  He missed throws to open receivers, while the game was still in a competitive frame, at least one that would have been a for-sure TD.

I think waiting until after the 8th game was wishy-washy on the part of the team.  If they were going to bench him and check out the kid, they should have done that 3 or 4 games ago.

Agree

It seems from Dalton's reaction there hasn't been any previous discussion about this. It should have been done at least a couple games ago if not 3 or 4 like you say.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 08:47 PM)Destro Wrote: Taylor knew he was going to do it. Not like Andy stunk it up against the Rams and he had to do something. ( Jax game he was much, much worse against a worse team. ). Should have been first thing Tuesday. Birthday aside, the timing is sketchy.

No it’s not. It’s clearly about the bye week, and giving Finley more time to prepare.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 08:32 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Boo hoo. What is he 8 years old?

Not everyone celebrates their b-day. He has millions and a wife that can stay home and plan and decorate a glorious party for him months in advance. It's about his birth not his benching after all.  Heck, now that he's benched, he can invite Driskell to his party. Tongue
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 07:26 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: As a long time dalton defender I find everyone trying to rush to his defense now laughable. Seriously?!

Boo hoo, you got benched on your birthday. At 12 it would be an issue, at 32 it shouldn’t be that big of a deal.

The timing was predictable and if he didn’t see this coming he’s more blind than he sometimes looks in the pocket.

Taylor did it right, he gave Dalton plenty of chances but at 0-8 with Dalton having just one year left he owes it to the team to see if the other guys have what it takes to be a starting QB. Obviously it sucks to do it right before the deadline but that’s the way our schedule fell this year. It makes too much sense to wait until the bye week so Finley can be as prepared to start as possible. He’s not going to do it on game day, and Monday was probably a day off/jet lag day so Tuesday would be the start of the bye week as far as getting the team together.

In his defense this team is not 0-8 because of Andy. The o line and defense are atrocious. Maybe a better QB would have us with a few wins, maybe the defense is so bad that even if we had a better offense we would still be 0-8. I’ve seen several times this year where it looks like the only reason our D is getting stops is because the other team thinks the game is already in hand. As soon as the opponents have to turn it back on they’ve been able to every single time this year.

The bengals are also under no obligation to trade Andy. This is most likely a true tryout for Ryan and if things get even uglier than they are now they could turn back to Andy and may still see him as a possible starter next season depending on how the draft goes.

Maybe a benching is just what Andy needs. Many people here (including me a couple of times) have thought Andy should have some real competition for once to see how he reacts....but here it finally is and people find something to complain about
This is how Andy should be looking at it a chance to step back take a breath look in mirror and see how he can improve himself to be a better QB. Not scream to go to another team right away.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 07:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I would have done it on the flight home from London.  That way it would have been impossible to leak.  I would have done it professionally, somberly, and with respect.  That way Andy Dalton and his agent would have had maybe 36 hours to work a deal elsewhere rather than the stingy 90 minutes Mikey Boy and Zac gave them.
Then Andy would of opened the door on plane through ZT out the air suction would of pulled all the other players out with ZT then where would we be at?
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: But he did stink it up.  He missed throws to open receivers, while the game was still in a competitive frame, at least one that would have been a for-sure TD.

Totally agree with this. Dalton looked good in Seattle, but since then? Batted down passes, throwing out of bounds, missing receivers and also waaaay bad over throws and failure to move in the pocket is the reason he's riding the pine (or aluminum) in game 9. 3 picks in 5 plays week before last and one that went for 6? Geez! I wanted this move done a few weeks ago when we actually had a chance to recover. And although it appears the timing that ZT did this seems cruel, I ask why in the heck did he wait so long as well?

Waiting till now to do this is not improving much. But finally doing it was the right call. You simply can't let this dude continue "in regards of his past performances" this year. In addition, every player faces an end, regardless how great they once was. Is this his end? That depends on him, but his performance say's he's losing it, and losing it fast. I guess I'll state it much simpler:

Andy lost his job as the starter. 

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:25 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: No it’s not. It’s clearly about the bye week, and giving Finley more time to prepare.

More time to prepare? I'm saying they could have given him MORE time by doing it earlier, like Sunday or the next day. Hell, even first thing in the morning, not until later in the morning.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:50 PM)Destro Wrote: More time to prepare? I'm saying they could have given him MORE time by doing it earlier, like Sunday or the next day. Hell, even first thing in the morning, not until later in the morning.

Ugh

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 09:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Totally agree with this. Dalton looked good in Seattle, but since then? Batted down passes, throwing out of bounds, missing receivers and also waaaay bad over throws and failure to move in the pocket is the reason he's riding the pine (or aluminum) in game 9. 3 picks in 5 plays week before last and one that went for 6? Geez! I wanted this move done a few weeks ago when we actually had a chance to recover. And although it appears the timing that ZT did this seems cruel, I ask why in the heck did he wait so long as well?

Waiting till now to do this is not improving much. But finally doing it was the right call. You simply can't let this dude continue "in regards of his past performances" this year. In addition, every player faces an end, regardless how great they once was. Is this his end? That depends on him, but his performance say's he's losing it, and losing it fast. I guess I'll state it much simpler:

Andy lost his job as the starter. 

Andy would have been benched at some point on most teams in the NFL at some points over the past 9 years. It's pretty amazing that this was the 1st time here.

Granted some years he was above average to dare I say good 1 or 2 seasons.
Reply/Quote

Talking about compared to the other games. Like I said, the Jax game he stunk it up. He threw for over 300 yards, passed over 50 times, no run game and horrible defense. Was he playing great? No. But what in that game was any worse than the previous 3 games? If the 3 picks wasn't enough, what was the straw that broke the camel's back this past week? Zach embarrassed in front of his old team? The time has come, but this was not a well executed transition.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 07:50 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Just seen the interview. He's not pissed, he's shocked. He's been demoted. Interview happened too soon after and I think he will do a lot to help Finley. He mentioned he has done a lot for the city, and he has. However, doing a lot for the city does not solidify your position at your job. I doubt he's really upset about the trade deadline because honestly, it's not even up to him. When this thing sinks in, he will realize this.

As I looked beyond him at the wall, I imagined the things he spoke about with doing a lot of great things and having great seasons and playoff runs. Yes, this locker-room was his pinnacle and he walked in there celebrating a lot of times. But dude, your 0-8 as the leader of this offense, and I know he realizes the choices that had to be made. 

He stated he had talks with ZT on several occasions and had been in ZT's office more this year than ever, so it seems ZT is involved with good communication with the players. Andy the spoke of AJ and his relationship. It appears they have a great relationship. HOWEVER, I don't think AJ is as affected as much by the news of Andy. As AJ says several times, "NFL is a business."

AJ did handle it much better and I agree he understands its nothing personal they are doing whats best for the Bengals as they should emotions be damned. In Dalton's interview when asked about Finley you could see Dalton took a deep breath and relaxed some they are friends you can tell. He said it was not Finley's fault he did nothing wrong after a few days he will be a mentor for Finley like Kitna was for Palmer. That is his job description now so he needs to just help his friend Finley become the best QB he can. Palmer should of done this with Dalton when he came into the league I don't think he had that chance because Palmer was bitter on the way out let's hope Dalton see this and gives Finley every chance to succeed.
Reply/Quote
My issue is the timing. Wish they made the change years ago. I agree we have to see what we have, but why do this literally a couple hours before the trade deadline? Why keep a player who you know will be disgruntled on the team instead of getting something for him. That’s the part I don’t get at all. Every time this team makes any kind of positive decision it’s always hand in hand with a wtf moment. So frustrating.
Reply/Quote

Birthday timing, lol That is cute. 

Andy played awful on Sunday.  

86 rating    39 QBR.   
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 08:23 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: He was also on the other side of that and was 8-0 as a leader as well.

If Taylor had any sense he would try to find out what made Dalton successful on that 8-0 team and look to creating that.

That year he had reliable WRs in Green, Sanu and Jones.  He had a great TE in Eifert.  His OLine was the best it had ever been with Whitworth, Boling, Bodine, Zeitler and Smith.  Winston was a serviceable back up.

Then in 2016 both Jones and Sanu departed and were replaced with Tyler Boyd.. that's it.   Green got injured and was IRed, Eifert IRed and Boling as well.  Even then the Bengals were 3 games where we needed a FG to win to qualify for the playoffs.

2017 is when everything fell apart.  Still no WR to replace Jones, since Boyd was more like Sanu.  No more Whitworth or Zeitler and Smith was IRed.  That is 3 guys on the OLine that is missing.

I know building up a solid OLine is easier said than done, but after Cedric and Jake and no possibly Price failed, you don't throw away the QB.  You continue looking at your options to build that line.  Glenn didn't pan out either.  They drafted Williams but then he is injured.  However that is a good start, don't stop there though.  Grab another OT with the first pick and grab a OG with the 2nd pick.
So you are basicly saying that if all the stars align perfectly then Dalton can win games we all know this. Now get me a QB that can win when things are not perfect because they rarely are in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 10:06 PM)mt415tress Wrote: Birthday timing, lol That is cute. 

Andy played awful on Sunday.  

86 rating    39 QBR.   

That's why I said "aside," meaning out of the way, as it wasn't of no consequence to my statement.  :andy:
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 10:13 PM)Destro Wrote: That's why I said "aside," meaning out of the way, as it wasn't of no consequence to my statement.  :andy:

Why was the timing sketchy?

He was bad on Sunday.
Reply/Quote