Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dalton POed
They could have made this call on Monday and give Dalton and his agent an entire day to put feelers out. They bench him but don't give him a chance to keep playing football this season for another team (and acquiring a draft pick for it). Having their cake and eating it too.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Some in the media agree with Andy:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/andy-dalton-deserves-better-from-bengals/cjks7u8ayomk1qe27oztb3ftm
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 06:15 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So, according to Dalton's interview, the Bengals are eyeing a QB in the next draft and they wanted to see what they have in Finley before making a decision. 

I was thinking about it on the drive home, and then Moving The Chains said exactly what I was thinking.  The front office wants Chase Young, and they need to get the next guy ready so they can justify skipping a QB at the top of the draft.
Reply/Quote
Dalton wouldn't make it in the xfl They hit to hard. He wouldn't be able to complete a pass being scared to death
Reply/Quote
1-13 in his last 14 starts. As a 9 year vet, with a new head coach, as soon as they weren't winning, he'd be dumb to not think about it. He told them yesterday because the team was off on Monday and he wanted to tell the entire team before it go out. If he told him on monday, and they started looking for trades, it would have gotten out and the team would have found out through the media. That would have been a much worse look for Taylor by his team.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 06:59 PM)Big Boss Wrote: They could have made this call on Monday and give Dalton and his agent an entire day to put feelers out.  They bench him but don't give him a chance to keep playing football this season for another team (and acquiring a draft pick for it).  Having their cake and eating it too.

This happens and the rest of the team finds out through leaks and media. That's a worse look for Taylpr. 
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor did that on purpose to send a message. I don’t like it one bit.

Sure, it’s time to try Ryan Finley but the way Andy Dalton was benched was ugly and unnecessary.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 07:12 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: 1-13 in his last 14 starts. As a 9 year vet, with a new head coach, as soon as they weren't winning, he'd be dumb to not think about it. He told them yesterday because the team was off on Monday and he wanted to tell the entire team before it go out. If he told him on monday, and they started looking for trades, it would have gotten out and the team would have found out through the media. That would have been a much worse look for Taylor by his team.

Dalton was 5-5 last year
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 07:15 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Zac Taylor did that on purpose to send a message.  I don’t like it one bit.  

Sure, it’s time to try Ryan Finley but the way Andy Dalton was benched was ugly and unnecessary.

How would you have done it? Do on Monday when no one is at the stadium, let it get out through leaks, and then have 52 other men upset they didn't know about their QBs future before the rest of America? 
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 06:31 PM)Trademark Wrote: Really not a fan of Taylor

Directing your anger at wrong person imho. The timing and handling of this is more a reflection on Mike than Taylor.

It's no coincidence this happened the day of the deadline, after tons of backlash (from fans and media) for lack of activity. It's a diversionary tactic to try and shift the attention from something negative to something new and shiny.

Taylor probably just wants to start building for next year, and wouldn't be surprised if he was in favor of this weeks ago and/or if it was discussed and planned well in advance. Mike is the one most likely pulling the strings behind the last minute notice relative to the trade deadline.

They could have announced this Monday or, at the very least privately informed Andy. But they didn't want to that because it would have brought up more trade talks. They selfishly held out to avoid that.

Taylor is just the mouthpiece for the FO, basically a puppet. I don't buy for one second that some of these quotes we've heard("Why would we trade that guy? ") are truly the thoughts of young guy who knows whats ahead of him. He's just parroting what they're telling him to.

I almost feel bad for the guy. He clearly has no real power in this roster construction. No guys walks into their first year wanting to do what they did in FA. He doesn't want Cordy Glenn around this team. And I reallllllllyyyyy doubt he chose to announce this move when they did.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 06:35 PM)bengals73 Wrote: I am glad they benched him finally if nothing else to see what Finley can do since Andy wasn't getting it done.

However, doing it ON his birthday and hours before the tradeline. Total Classless move. Way to go Mike Brown

Agree with both points.  You have to make the move, but it could have been handle so, so much better.  Despite what I or anyone may think of Andy's play this or any other season, he's been nothing but a class act here since day one.  Both he and Jordan have been assets to the community.  I wish them well and hope he gets a chance to play somewhere else some day.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 07:18 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Dalton was 5-5 last year

His last 6 starts he was 1-5 last year. 0-8 this year= 1-13
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 05:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I read this thread quickly and thought it said 'beheading'.

I was going to be like...wow the Bengals don't mess around!

LOL Accountability.

Reply/Quote
As a long time dalton defender I find everyone trying to rush to his defense now laughable. Seriously?!

Boo hoo, you got benched on your birthday. At 12 it would be an issue, at 32 it shouldn’t be that big of a deal.

The timing was predictable and if he didn’t see this coming he’s more blind than he sometimes looks in the pocket.

Taylor did it right, he gave Dalton plenty of chances but at 0-8 with Dalton having just one year left he owes it to the team to see if the other guys have what it takes to be a starting QB. Obviously it sucks to do it right before the deadline but that’s the way our schedule fell this year. It makes too much sense to wait until the bye week so Finley can be as prepared to start as possible. He’s not going to do it on game day, and Monday was probably a day off/jet lag day so Tuesday would be the start of the bye week as far as getting the team together.

In his defense this team is not 0-8 because of Andy. The o line and defense are atrocious. Maybe a better QB would have us with a few wins, maybe the defense is so bad that even if we had a better offense we would still be 0-8. I’ve seen several times this year where it looks like the only reason our D is getting stops is because the other team thinks the game is already in hand. As soon as the opponents have to turn it back on they’ve been able to every single time this year.

The bengals are also under no obligation to trade Andy. This is most likely a true tryout for Ryan and if things get even uglier than they are now they could turn back to Andy and may still see him as a possible starter next season depending on how the draft goes.

Maybe a benching is just what Andy needs. Many people here (including me a couple of times) have thought Andy should have some real competition for once to see how he reacts....but here it finally is and people find something to complain about
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 07:15 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Zac Taylor did that on purpose to send a message.  I don’t like it one bit.  

Mike did it on purpose to shift the narrative from what was floating around in the media to something else. He tried throwing the tiniest of bones to divert the attention from the fact he wasn't going to move anybody.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 07:18 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: How would you have done it?

I would have done it on the flight home from London. That way it would have been impossible to leak. I would have done it professionally, somberly, and with respect. That way Andy Dalton and his agent would have had maybe 36 hours to work a deal elsewhere rather than the stingy 90 minutes Mikey Boy and Zac gave them.
Reply/Quote
Stand up guy, just was time for a change.

It was, just like everything else this team does, handle poorly. Like the D coordinator search, and the Whitworth non-signing and etc, etc, etc. This team just doesn't know how to get out of its' own way.

Not only should you make this switch far enough in advance that you can trade Andy, but you also see how it has an impact on A.J. Green who both of them said in interviews have a relationship that is bigger than football. So, you piss off Andy, and now A.J. too....just another day of business as usually at Paul Brown Stadium.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 05:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I read this thread quickly and thought it said 'beheading'.

I was going to be like...wow the Bengals don't mess around!

(10-30-2019, 07:26 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: LOL Accountability.

Think of the possibilities.  We could be the perennial team for Hard Knocks:  Game of Thrones Edition.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 07:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I would have done it on the flight home from London.  That way it would have been impossible to leak.  I would have done it professionally, somberly, and with respect.  That way Andy Dalton and his agent would have had maybe 36 hours to work a deal elsewhere rather than the stingy 90 minutes Mikey Boy and Zac gave them.

Personally, I would have done it after week 6, but I do not think on the plane is the best place to do it, then you look like it's just an emotional decision instead of a fleshed out decision not made on a wim. 
Reply/Quote
Free agents see this kinda coldness too. The starting QB loses his job on his Birthday when it could have easily happened yesterday. It also happens timed so he leaving to play elsewhere isn’t an option. This is a low class organization!
Reply/Quote