Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dalton POed
(10-31-2019, 11:56 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I seen many who applaud the move wish the best for Andy and his family, but IMO he could have handled it much better than he did. Seems like he went to the Hue Jackson "you lost your job" school of interviewing, So IMO we're seeing more Andy fans than Bengal fans in this thread.

My take is that Dalton wants to play and ZT says he has to evaluate Finley to see if he needs to draft a QB for 2020 and onward.  This plan has zero intent of Dalton ever being under center again and if that is the plan then why not get Dalton out of there?  We have a lot of holes on the roster and we plan to build through the draft and never start Dalton again so it seems logical to move him for capital.  There is still time for that, of course, but I get Dalton's frustration.

We will know more about this when ZT's career is over.  If he keeps on this path where he looks like he shouldn't be a HC then Dalton will go down as a scapegoat...an average and middling one, but a scapegoat. Again, we saw this in 2014 when Mark Trestman who had no business being an NFL coach benched Jay Cutler for Jimmy Claussen in hopes that he could disguise his charade of a HC career with a QB change. Is this the same situation? Time will tell, I guess.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My take is that Dalton wants to play and ZT says he has to evaluate Finley to see if he needs to draft a QB for 2020 and onward.  This plan has zero intent of Dalton ever being under center again and if that is the plan then why not get Dalton out of there?  We have a lot of holes on the roster and we plan to build through the draft and never start Dalton again so it seems logical to move him for capital.  There is still time for that, of course, but I get Dalton's frustration.

We will know more about this when ZT's career is over.  If he keeps on this path where he looks like he shouldn't be a HC then Dalton will go down as a scapegoat...an average and middling one, but a scapegoat.  Again, we saw this in 2014 when Mark Trestman who had no business being an NFL coach benched Jay Cutler for Jimmy Claussen in hopes that he could disguise his charade of a HC career with a QB change.  Is this the same situation?  Time will tell, I guess.

Because Andy can be an asset in the development of a new QB. I've said it before he might be a better coach than the ones wearing the visors. Seems most in the National Media understand this and think the Bengals are doing the right thing. Hell many say we should hold on to Andy next year to mentor a new QB should we go high. I personally don't want to spend $17 mil on a backup and they let Andy go be league MVP in Chicago this off season. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Because Andy can be an asset in the development of a new QB. I've said it before he might be a better coach than the ones wearing the visors. Seems most in the National Media understand this and think the Bengals are doing the right thing. Hell many say we should hold on to Andy next year to mentor a new QB should we go high. I personally don't want to spend $17 mil on a backup and they let Andy go be league MVP in Chicago this off season. 

I get that, but if Dalton is a QB he should be dealt as a QB and our QB whispering HC who isn't much of a HC should be the one developing the new guy OR we should bring in a system guy like Tannehill to mentor the new QB.  I don't think trading Dalton is going to be what makes us into a great team overnight, but actually moving a QB we have no plans to use is something a better organization would do and is therefore what we should do.

Then again, I was hoping Dalton's career in Cincy would end with a lucrative trade to Jay Gruden but we had to hold onto him so we could go like 6-18 or so.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I get that, but if Dalton is a QB he should be dealt as a QB and our QB whispering HC who isn't much of a HC should be the one developing the new guy OR we should bring in a system guy like Tannehill to mentor the new QB.  I don't think trading Dalton is going to be what makes us into a great team overnight, but actually moving a QB we have plans to use is something a better organization would do and is therefore what we should do.

Then again, I was hoping Dalton's career in Cincy would end with a lucrative trade to Jay Gruden but we had to hold onto him so we could go like 6-18 or so.

Reasons to trade Dalton:

1 ) You save $8 million that you'd presumably use towards free agency.
2 ) It's the trade deadline and you might get a desperate team willing to give up a 2nd Round pick to save their season. In the offseason, there will be more supply of QB's so the trade value goes down.
3 ) You give Finley the reigns for 8 games and he doesn't have to look over his shoulder.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Reasons to trade Dalton:

2 ) It's the trade deadline and you might get a desperate team willing to give up a 2nd Round pick to save their season. In the offseason, there will be more supply of QB's so the trade value goes down.
3 ) You give Finley the reigns for 8 games and he doesn't have to look over his shoulder.

I had to edit that to say we have NO plans to use (nice word to omit on my part, eh?) but I guess you got the message despite the oversight.
Reply/Quote
Dalton is the type of QB who could win bears back to back championships. He would have a perfect Oline and Defense. Dalton is the same player he's always been a top 16 QB. with our dumpster fire of a line we don't fit his skillset. not that Finley or Dolgala would either. Brady couldn't even take this team to 6 - 10
Reply/Quote
Pretty much a lose/lose situation all around. Except for Finely. Hope he does well but I doubt it.

He should be mad for the most part. No starting QB wants to lose their job. He's not been great, also not horrible just IMO. Benching him right as Green comes back is a curious move. I understand the bye week issue there.

It's interesting that he's been with a team this long and you would think they would understand his strengths and weaknesses by now. Yet it seems this year as if everything has been geared towards his known weaknesses. No AJ, horrible O-line, no run game and very little hurry-up offense unless late in the game and behind. It's not been any surprise he's flailing about right now. I'd be mad too. At the same time he's getting paid well so theres that....

I don't know anymore. Just seems like one more thing the Bengals have handled horribly. Best of luck to Finley but I'm betting Dalton is back in after two games. We'll see.
Reply/Quote

Which teams off hand would accept the 8 mil salary and give a second round pick for a QB who can't start for the Bengals? 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:35 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Which teams off hand would accept the 8 mil salary and give a second round pick for a QB who can't start for the Bengals? 

Rumors had it Bears offered a 2 and a 4.
Reply/Quote

1) The $8 Mil is a moot, unless you're worried about Mikey's bank account.  We have plenty cap to sign any FA currently on the street

2) And there's a very good chance a team may give a little more in the off season where they can go in with Andy as their Plan A (I pity the team, but..)

3) Finley has the reins and shouldn't be looking over his shoulder. But he does have a QB with 9 years experience starting in the NFL to work with him. If that veteran chooses to be mature about the situation.

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:35 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: Which teams off hand would accept the 8 mil salary and give a second round pick for a QB who can't start for the Bengals? 

I think other teams would look at Dalton's situation and realize he's got the worst owner, a guy who seems to have no business being HC and his friends who aren't good position coaches, and take that into consideration.

Maybe we turn things around here, but I can't imagine the rest of the NFL looking at the situation Dalton is in here and concluding that he's just not a starting QB anymore. Besides, everyone on our team looks like garbage now...and yet we didn't trade anyone because we'd be making other teams better...meh, there is a chance this coaching staff goes down in total flames, or should I say doesn't stop going down in flames.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:35 PM)R3stangs Wrote: Pretty much a lose/lose situation all around. Except for Finely. Hope he does well but I doubt it.

He should be mad for the most part. No starting QB wants to lose their job. He's not been great, also not horrible just IMO. Benching him right as Green comes back is a curious move. I understand the bye week issue there.

It's interesting that he's been with a team this long and you would think they would understand his strengths and weaknesses by now. Yet it seems this year as if everything has been geared towards his known weaknesses. No AJ, horrible O-line, no run game and very little hurry-up offense unless late in the game and behind. It's not been any surprise he's flailing about right now. I'd be mad too. At the same time he's getting paid well so theres that....

I don't know anymore. Just seems like one more thing the Bengals have handled horribly. Best of luck to Finley but I'm betting Dalton is back in after two games. We'll see.
Why do you guys doubt finley so bad lol is it because he wasnt drafted 1st round or because he looks like napoleon dynamite lol finley is everything dalton isnt in his game. Dalton has no accuracy 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:34 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: Dalton is the type of QB who could win bears back to back championships. He would have a perfect Oline and Defense. Dalton is the same player he's always been a top 16 QB. with our dumpster fire of a line we don't fit his skillset. not that Finley or Dolgala would either. Brady couldn't even take this team to 6 - 10

This is a such a hilarious take.  I absolutely love this level of Dalton Fanboy
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I think other teams would look at Dalton's situation and realize he's got the worst owner, a guy who seems to have no business being HC and his friends who aren't good position coaches, and take that into consideration.

Maybe we turn things around here, but I can't imagine the rest of the NFL looking at the situation Dalton is in here and concluding that he's just not a starting QB anymore.

And I can't imagine many teams thinking this average 9 year veteran is just what we need to put us over the top. I hope you're right and a team comes in this off season and offers us 15 firsts for Andy

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And I can't imagine many teams thinking this average 9 year veteran is just what we need to put us over the top. I hope you're right and a team comes in this off season and offers us 15 firsts for Andy

Lord knows MB won't settle for any reasonable offer for him.  All I'm saying is that we went into this year being assured we were in win-now mode and we treated the trade deadline with the same plan.  Now Dalton is on the bench and we're going to hope he takes the role of a mentor backup QB as if he is a 47 year old Josh McCown.

This all just stinks of having no plan and just throwing stuff against the wall to hope it sticks.  A better franchise would have traded Dalton rather than let him run out his value playing in a hopeless situation, but here we are.  In a world where Sam Bradford is traded for a 1st and Alex Smith brings multiple high round picks while they are on teams that have their new starter in the wings we are benching Dalton for zilch (well, we will see what happens) and throwing a 4th round pick rookie into a hopeless situation.  That's what the Browns have been doing for decades.

Hey, let's act like the Browns and not teams that have actually won something in the past 50 years.  Hell, MB can do this, but don't expect me to slurp it all up like it's apple pie.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Lord knows MB won't settle for any reasonable offer for him.  All I'm saying is that we went into this year being assured we were in win-now mode and we treated the trade deadline with the same plan.  Now Dalton is on the bench and we're going to hope he takes the role of a mentor backup QB as if he is a 47 year old Josh McCown.

This all just stinks of having no plan and just throwing stuff against the wall to hope it sticks.  A better franchise would have traded Dalton rather than let him run out his value playing in a hopeless situation, but here we are.  In a world where Sam Bradford is traded for a 1st and Alex Smith brings multiple high round picks while they are on teams that have their new starter in the wings we are benching Dalton for zilch (well, we will see what happens) and throwing a 4th round pick rookie into a hopeless situation.  That's what the Browns have been doing for decades.

Hey, let's act like the Browns and not teams that have actually won something in the past 50 years.  Hell, MB can do this, but don't expect me to slurp it all up like it's apple pie.

Spot. The. ****. On.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Lord knows MB won't settle for any reasonable offer for him.  All I'm saying is that we went into this year being assured we were in win-now mode and we treated the trade deadline with the same plan.  Now Dalton is on the bench and we're going to hope he takes the role of a mentor backup QB as if he is a 47 year old Josh McCown.

Lol people slurp apple pie?
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: And I can't imagine many teams thinking this average 9 year veteran is just what we need to put us over the top. I hope you're right and a team comes in this off season and offers us 15 firsts for Andy

They aren't offering anything for a benched QB.

He'll be released and everyone knows it. His trade value died Monday. He'll never take another snap for the Bengals, why not just wait for him to be released?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2019, 12:55 PM)BengalsFanRealist2855 Wrote: Lol people slurp apple pie?

Ha well I was thinking of that Boz Scaggz song about eat your lies like apple pie and I just tossed in the "slurp" insult they use on PTI to talk about sucking up to a team.  So...I guess no.
Reply/Quote

Yeah lets act like we have Brady to trade and every team is groveling at MB's locked and bolted door. Teams who are playoff bound have QBs and the ones on the fringe aren't going to give up much for a QB who can't start for a 0-8 team. PERIOD 
Reply/Quote