Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton has pretty great numbers over the past 5 games
(11-29-2017, 01:02 PM)Synric Wrote: When I seen they benched Eli I was like for who then found out it was Geno Smith...

Have to ask What is McAdoo thinking? If you had a young QB (Davis Webb) that you'd like to see before drafting one in 2018 I'd get...but Geno Smith?

Also like to say it's looking more and more like the Bengals missed the AJ McCarron trade window. (Mike Brown played it well too until the last second for a 2nd and 3rd what?!?!) But with guys like Eli Cousins Keenan Bradford then the draft there's and few good choices for QBS this offseason without putting McCarron in the mix.

Over under on Ikemefuna Enemkpali  being signed by someone now that geno is a starter?
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 11:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Thought about making a thread about this but feared it would get bounced to a forum like "around the league" that I don't visit.

I think it is downright cruel what they are doing to Manning, and he is handling it with pure class.  I hope the guy gets a shot at a team like Miami or Jax but would prefer he not go to those AFC teams that are flawed at QB, although the Bengal defense made Bortles look like a HOFer.  

Actually, as I look around the league, I think Arizona might like a shot at him.  I would have said SF, but they just got Garappolo.  

Really the QB and HC are usually who gets blamed when a team loses. That's the most visible positions to fans...

Like Cleveland. They keep changing QB's and Coaches. Their roster isn't just a QB away. They may be 10 good starters away from winning. But fans see that they have some guys with speed, or athleticism, or catching ability.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 02:26 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I see some truth in that. Before the last game, I thought he was to patient and would come to almost a complete stop. In Sunday's game, it was almost like someone told him, the holes are not going to last and you need to just go full blast.

Exactly, the hole is going to be there, but it might not be there long. "Make yourself skinny" and hit the hole. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 02:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's the whole chicken or the egg debate. Did the RB look good because the oline performed better or did the oline look good because the RB performed better.

IMO, I saw a different running style in Joe. He hit the hole as it was opening instead of waiting until it opened. 

I can get behind this somewhat. 

Youre right he didn't dance as much as we've seen this season. Even in thr open field instead of stopping his feet and trying to dance around the defender he kept moving forward and played with a little more power.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 02:40 PM)Synric Wrote: I can get behind this somewhat. 

Youre right he didn't dance as much as we've seen this season. Even in thr open field instead of stopping his feet and trying to dance around the defender he kept moving forward and played with a little more power.

Interesting. So basically they played confident and didn't hesitate against the Browns?
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 02:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Interesting. So basically they played confident and didn't hesitate against the Browns?

It is what it is. Even Bodine was out there throwing some very nice blocks.

It's the little things though. On the big Mixon screen pass everyone will mention how well he ran in thr open field but you won't hear about the chip on the free running defender that bought Andy the precious half second for him to get it to Mixon. Truth I haven't seen a Bengals RB chip like that since Brian Leonard.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 02:59 PM)Synric Wrote: It is what it is. Even Bodine was out there throwing some very nice blocks.

It's the little things though. On the big Mixon screen pass everyone will mention how well he ran in thr open field but you won't hear about the chip on the free running defender that bought Andy the precious half second for him to get it to Mixon. Truth I haven't seen a Bengals RB chip like that since Brian Leonard.

Mixon looked MUCH better blocking Sunday.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 02:40 PM)Synric Wrote: I can get behind this somewhat. 

He didn't dance as much because the line was actually forming good holes for the first time all year. People used to say the same thing about Hill dancing. Either our RB's are watching too much Saturday Night Fever during film sessions, or they're "dancing" because they can't find holes that aren't there.

Dalton has done well so far this season. Most of us realize he'd be doing even better if the pass blocking were better and we didn't have to scheme around it. 

Mixon had a good game against the Browns. Most of us realize he'd probably be having a good season with better blocking.

Our line has sucked. It's hurt the overall performance of the offense. Anyone with eyes can see that, and I'm really not sure why some insist on making it seem more complicated than that. What's more likely here?

(A) The line improved their performance against a weak opponent (perhaps with a tweak to scheme) 

or

(B) Mixon suddenly figured out how to hit a hole 11 games into his NFL career, after a great career in both HS and college?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 04:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He didn't dance as much because the line was actually forming good holes for the first time all year. People used to say the same thing about Hill dancing. Either our RB's are watching too much Saturday Night Fever during film sessions, or they're "dancing" because they can't find holes that aren't there.

Dalton has done well so far this season. Most of us realize he'd be doing even better if the pass blocking were better and we didn't have to scheme around it. 

Mixon had a good game against the Browns. Most of us realize he'd probably be having a good season with better blocking.

Our line has sucked. It's hurt the overall performance of the offense. Anyone with eyes can see that, and I'm really not sure why some insist on making it seem more complicated than that. What's more likely here?

(A) The line improved their performance against a weak opponent (perhaps with a tweak to scheme) 

or

(B) Mixon suddenly figured out how to hit a hole 11 games into his NFL career, after a great career in both HS and college?

Oh, an 11 game veteran in the NFL you say? I retract my suggestion; there's really nothing to learn after 11 full games in the pros. 

Most folks can "realize" all they want but they are really doing nothing more than going on their opinion; some of which cannot be changed.

I saw a different runner Sunday, Andre Smith said he saw a different runner Sunday. So maybe despite his 11 game career; he learned a little something that could help him hit a hole instead of waiting for it.

The Browns are not a weak opponent against the run. Must folks "realize" that. 

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 04:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He didn't dance as much because the line was actually forming good holes for the first time all year. People used to say the same thing about Hill dancing. Either our RB's are watching too much Saturday Night Fever during film sessions, or they're "dancing" because they can't find holes that aren't there.

or

I'm not just talking about behind the line of scrimmage.

In the open field mixon had a tendency to stop his feet and try to juke every defender that came at him instead of just pouring on the power and break some tackles. Against thr Browns you seen him play behind his pads more. He looked like a 225 lb back in that game.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 04:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Oh, an 11 game veteran in the NFL you say? I retract my suggestion; there's really nothing to learn after 11 full games in the pros. 

Most folks can "realize" all they want but they are really doing nothing more than going on their opinion; some of which cannot be changed.

I saw a different runner Sunday, Andre Smith said he saw a different runner Sunday. So maybe despite his 11 game career; he learned a little something that could help him hit a hole instead of waiting for it.

The Browns are not a weak opponent against the run. Must folks "realize" that. 

I have a feeling Mixon will "unlearn" everything he learned against the Browns, and that "different runner" will be back to posting unremarkable numbers. 

Just like 5 year vet Gio and 4 year vet Hill. Maybe 11 game vet Mixon should share his tips on how to squeeze through these tiny holes we apparently have.

(11-29-2017, 04:47 PM)Synric Wrote: I'm not just talking about behind the line of scrimmage.

In the open field mixon had a tendency to stop his feet and try to juke every defender that came at him instead of just pouring on the power and break some tackles. Against thr Browns you seen him play behind his pads more. He looked like a 225 lb back in that game.

Easier to use your weight when you have a full head of steam after charging through a good hole.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 05:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I have a feeling Mixon will "unlearn" everything he learned against the Browns, and that "different runner" will be back to posting unremarkable numbers. 

Just like 5 year vet Gio and 4 year vet Hill. Maybe 11 game vet Mixon should share his tips on how to squeeze through these tiny holes we apparently have.
Well as long as you have a feeling that we will under-perform; then what argument can be made to counter it?

But who knows: Maybe Mixon is a better RB than Gio or Jeremy. 

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 06:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Well as long as you have a feeling that we will under-perform; then what argument can be made to counter it?

But who knows: Maybe Mixon is a better RB than Gio or Jeremy. 

I have a feeling Mixon won't have a repeat performance against the Steelers. If I'm wrong, feel free to revisit this thread.

I think we have 3 good RB's. Gio and Hill have never performed as poorly as they have in 2017. That just leads me to believe the main problem is what most of us thought it was all along. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 07:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I have a feeling Mixon won't have a repeat performance against the Steelers. If I'm wrong, feel free to revisit this thread.

I think we have 3 good RB's. Gio and Hill have never performed as poorly as they have in 2017. That just leads me to believe the main problem is what most of us thought it was all along. 

Folks are coming up with their own criteria and then choosing to defend it.

My original post was that Andy and Joe dismissed the urban legend that NOBODY (passer/runner) could preform well behind this oline. When I point to Andy and Joe just disproved this; then folks want to change the narrative to "I was right",. No you were not as Joe and Andy have shown players can preform well behind this line.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 07:38 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I have a feeling Mixon won't have a repeat performance against the Steelers. If I'm wrong, feel free to revisit this thread.

I agree, hope I'm wrong because I feel our inability to run the ball is our biggest problem bar none !

I don't buy for a second the o-line is fixed and all is now well. I'd say it's most likely Pittsburgh will stuff our run game, again, like a Thanksgiving turkey.

And it won't be Gio or Mixon's fault. We shall soon see
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 02:59 PM)Synric Wrote: It is what it is. Even Bodine was out there throwing some very nice blocks.

Kind of easier to bully an 0-10 team than an 8-2 one I suppose.

So while the Browns run defense is better, the Bengals pushed them around. You know mindset and organizational culture are probably the biggest things we have working against us.

I mean the talent over the Marvin era hasn't been that far off from the Steelers a lot of years to the extent that they'd win most games against us. It's all attitude and mindset.
Reply/Quote

I think for whatever reason our guys are confident they can beat the Browns and play well against them and are intimidated by the Steelers and shrink against them. I think that explains this more so than some drastic scheme changes or some light clicking.
Reply/Quote