Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton has pretty great numbers over the past 5 games
(11-29-2017, 12:59 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They were talking about Eli Manning's benching on the radio today, and every Giants fan that called in - and the host of the show - were saying it's hard to blame Eli when he has no run game and his receivers are injured. I couldn't help but think about Andy's situation the last couple years. Eli has handled it well IMO (he has a respectable 84.1 rating, 14 TDs to only 7 picks). Dalton has handled his situation even better.

Shame McAdoo is scapegoating a Giants legend. Shame (some) Bengals fans can't see the real problems and instead blame a guy who is doing an admirable job despite poor coaching and lack of supporting cast.

Thought about making a thread about this but feared it would get bounced to a forum like "around the league" that I don't visit.

I think it is downright cruel what they are doing to Manning, and he is handling it with pure class.  I hope the guy gets a shot at a team like Miami or Jax but would prefer he not go to those AFC teams that are flawed at QB, although the Bengal defense made Bortles look like a HOFer.  

Actually, as I look around the league, I think Arizona might like a shot at him.  I would have said SF, but they just got Garappolo.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Eye test tells me he’s a huge reason we stay in games as long as we do
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 11:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Thought about making a thread about this but feared it would get bounced to a forum like "around the league" that I don't visit.

I think it is downright cruel what they are doing to Manning, and he is handling it with pure class.  I hope the guy gets a shot at a team like Miami or Jax but would prefer he not go to those AFC teams that are flawed at QB, although the Bengal defense made Bortles look like a HOFer.  

Actually, as I look around the league, I think Arizona might like a shot at him.  I would have said SF, but they just got Garappolo.  

be interesting and a little scary if eli manages to go to Jacksonville to hook up with his old coach again...   Because Jacksonville getting it done now.   have a good defense good run game and good young WRs
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 11:23 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Dalton has preformed well recently and has dispelled the popular urban legend that NO QB could do well behind this oline.

Also kudos to Mixon's last week's performance and dispelling the other popular urban legend that NO RB could do well behind this oline.

My hope is that they continue this trend of dispelling made-up things.

how is that an urban legend exactly? You don't need good run blocking to produce good rb production?? 

And we are the worst running team in the NFL lol.. totally don't see your point here sorry.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 12:30 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote:  how is that an urban legend exactly? You don't need good run blocking to produce good rb production?? 

And we are the worst running team in the NFL lol.. totally don't see your point here sorry.

Has Joe Mixon shown he can perform well behind this line?

Has Andy Dalton shown he can perform well behind this line?

If the answer to either is yes then the urban legend that no one could perform well is dismissed. 

Not sure how that is a point that can be missed. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 11:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Thought about making a thread about this but feared it would get bounced to a forum like "around the league" that I don't visit.

I agree with this. My wife is from NYC, and roots for everyone NYC, and was beside herself lastnight over the benching. I honestly thought he has lost zip on his balls, ala his brother. If he were to go to an AFC team I wouldn't be scared of him. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 12:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Has Joe Mixon shown he can perform well behind this line?

If the answer to either is yes then the urban legend that no one could perform well is dismissed. 

Against.... the.... browns.. who have not won a single game this year.

The point is missed because it is lost in a non real world. 

We would easily be in the playoffs if Joe mixon "could run behind this line"... 

I truly hope you are just trolling here. That is the only thing that would make sense. 
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 12:59 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: They were talking about Eli Manning's benching on the radio today, and every Giants fan that called in - and the host of the show - were saying it's hard to blame Eli when he has no run game and his receivers are injured. I couldn't help but think about Andy's situation the last couple years. Eli has handled it well IMO (he has a respectable 84.1 rating, 14 TDs to only 7 picks). Dalton has handled his situation even better.

Shame McAdoo is scapegoating a Giants legend. Shame (some) Bengals fans can't see the real problems and instead blame a guy who is doing an admirable job despite poor coaching and lack of supporting cast.

When I seen they benched Eli I was like for who then found out it was Geno Smith...

Have to ask What is McAdoo thinking? If you had a young QB (Davis Webb) that you'd like to see before drafting one in 2018 I'd get...but Geno Smith?

Also like to say it's looking more and more like the Bengals missed the AJ McCarron trade window. (Mike Brown played it well too until the last second for a 2nd and 3rd what?!?!) But with guys like Eli Cousins Keenan Bradford then the draft there's and few good choices for QBS this offseason without putting McCarron in the mix.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 12:42 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Has Joe Mixon shown he can perform well behind this line?

Or you could point out the truth.

Since Andre Smith took over at RT the line has...improved. Even Ogbeuhi is looking better and Bodine had a hell of a game against thr Browns.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 12:50 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Against.... the.... browns.. who have not won a single game this year.

The point is missed because it is lost in a non real world. 

We would easily be in the playoffs if Joe mixon "could run behind this line"... 

I truly hope you are just trolling here. That is the only thing that would make sense. 

It's been reported to death that the Browns have a very good run defense. Folks using "it's the Browns" falls kind of on deaf ears. 

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 12:16 PM)Housh Wrote: Eye test tells me he’s a huge reason we stay in games as long as we do

He has to be with how terrible the run game has been outside of last week's Browns game.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:23 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's been reported to death that the Browns have a very good run defense. Folks using "it's the Browns" falls kind of on deaf ears. 

31st in rushing yards per game. 

Yup, totally don't need a good line to run effectively.  Myth busted!
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:05 PM)Synric Wrote: Or you could point out the truth.

Since Andre Smith took over at RT the line has...improved. Even Ogbeuhi is looking better and Bodine had a hell of a game against thr Browns.

It's improved some...but not much. Smith grades out as Poor on PFF.

Honestly, I think the pass blocking did improve with Smith.

The run blocking has been the worst part about the line. Dalton has had more time to throw.

Now if changing the blocking scheme helps that...great.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 07:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: I do want to see how he does against the Steelers and Vikings before we we start building his statue...

I think he'll do fine against the Vikings. Our QB's have always struggled against the Steelers though. See Palmer and his career 76.7 rating, which is nearly identical to Dalton's.

As long as you make it relevant to the Bengals, your thread won't get bounced. 

Agree on Eli, Jax is the obvious landing spot, but he'd be a fit with a lot of teams.

(11-29-2017, 01:02 PM)Synric Wrote: When I seen they benched Eli I was like for who then found out it was Geno Smith...

Have to ask What is McAdoo thinking? If you had a young QB (Davis Webb) that you'd like to see before drafting one in 2018 I'd get...but Geno Smith?

Also like to say it's looking more and more like the Bengals missed the AJ McCarron trade window. (Mike Brown played it well too until the last second for a 2nd and 3rd what?!?!) But with guys like Eli Cousins Keenan Bradford then the draft there's and few good choices for QBS this offseason without putting McCarron in the mix.

McAdoo is disgracing a Giants legend (who isn't even playing poorly) to save his own skin. It's disgraceful, IMO. 

You're probably right about Mac. This is going to be an excellent offseason for QB needy teams. Good draft and great FA class.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:51 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's improved some...but not much. Smith grades out as Poor on PFF.

Honestly, I think the pass blocking did improve with Smith.

The run blocking has been the worst part about the line. Dalton has had more time to throw.

Now if changing the blocking scheme helps that...great.

Gotta take PFF with a grain of salt. It's still FULL season averages. Right now we are seeing improvement which is huge going down the stretch.

Since Smith took over at RT he's had 1 poor game and that was against Von Miller. The biggest improvement weve seen from Smith starting is that thr mental mistakes on the that side have almost completely disappeared.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:29 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: 31st in rushing yards per game. 

Yup, totally don't need a good line to run effectively.  Myth busted!

Nope, you're twisting your myths. No one said the notion that you need a good oline to run effectively has been disproved. Only that the notion that no RB could run effectively behind this oline has been disproved.

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 02:12 PM)Synric Wrote: Gotta take PFF with a grain of salt. It's still FULL season averages. Right now we are seeing improvement which is huge going down the stretch.

Since Smith took over at RT he's had 1 poor game and that was against Von Miller. The biggest improvement weve seen from Smith starting is that thr mental mistakes on the that side have almost completely disappeared.

Oh...he's vastly better than Ced and Fisher...no doubt.

I think bringing him back on a 2 year deal would give us some stability and open up the draft some.

Like, I'd be down with:

1st Round: Impact LB or Tackle...but I wouldn't reach for a Tackle.
2nd Round: Center
Then trade up into the 2nd Round for a Guard.
Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 01:05 PM)Synric Wrote: Or you could point out the truth.

It's the whole chicken or the egg debate. Did the RB look good because the oline performed better or did the oline look good because the RB performed better.

IMO, I saw a different running style in Joe. He hit the hole as it was opening instead of waiting until it opened. 

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 02:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Oh...he's vastly better than Ced and Fisher...no doubt.

I think bringing him back on a 2 year deal would give us some stability and open up the draft some.

Like, I'd be down with:

1st Round: Impact LB or Tackle...but I wouldn't reach for a Tackle.
2nd Round: Center
Then trade up into the 2nd Round for a Guard.

I think if they want Price they will have to trade down or back up into the first to get him. 

I know there's better guards but they don't have the versitility of Price being able to play either Guard and Center. That will probably drag him into the first.

As I said in the Draft section I think Bozeman in gonna drag himself up the boards to an early day 2 pick for similar reasons. That and being likely the most NFL ready center. (Mental aspect)

Reply/Quote
(11-29-2017, 02:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's the whole chicken or the egg debate. Did the RB look good because the oline performed better or did the oline look good because the RB performed better.

IMO, I saw a different running style in Joe. He hit the hole as it was opening instead of waiting until it opened. 

I see some truth in that. Before the last game, I thought he was to patient and would come to almost a complete stop. In Sunday's game, it was almost like someone told him, the holes are not going to last and you need to just go full blast.
Reply/Quote