Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Dalton sets Expectations in final Press Conference
(01-01-2020, 12:43 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Dalton hasn’t beat Pittsburgh in like 10 games, probably best to not bring them up in his defense...

Alas, the inability to beat Pittsburgh was supposed to leave town with Marivn but at least we know now it'll leave with Dalton and he was the culprit all along!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 04:28 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They'll keep both. Brees is 40 years old, and won't play much longer, especially now that he's topped Manning. Teddy is being groomed to take over there and knows it.

IDK, Brees has said he can play past 45. If they do keep most they may be forced to pay their back up like a starter and guess why they would do that: Because it's an investment in the future. Sorta like us paying Andy next year. 

WTS, watch this happen:

Brady retires, NE signs Brees. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2019, 08:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Guess we can cross Chicago off the list of teams that's going to give us a high draft pick to make Andy their starter:

https://sports.yahoo.com/mitch-trubisky-bears-starter-2020-175442916.html

(01-01-2020, 03:37 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: He will be starting QB for the Bears!

Not according to the Bears. They chose the QB over the OC. 

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 04:32 PM)Joelist Wrote: The contract is not a big blocker if Andy makes it clear he will renegotiate it to dull the cap hit. That is typically what happens in such scenarios.

What scenario are you referring to that typically happens? 

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:41 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Wish he would have said he'll do whatever it takes to help the team next year, but he seems selfish.

Add Andy to a long line of marquee players that has had enough of Mike Brown’s inept ways. Everyone rags on Palmer, but Carson was right. So were Pickens/Dillon/Boomer/Whit/JJo etc. Other, minor role guys have said similar things when asked about how their new team treats the players. It’s easy to label the player(s) as a quitter, or selfish, but 100% of the problem lies with Mike and Family. They’re mediocre, and accept mediocrity as long as the revenue sharing rolls into their bank accounts. You know all you need to know when two of the key front office personnel decide to take a European vacation during the trade deadline week. The organization is a laughingstock, and the players can only take so much.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 01:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's an investment in the franchise. I know how this organization works. Getting Andy's $17 Mil (considering someone is willing to take him and his contract on) does not mean Mikey is going to but $17 Mil back in the team. He'll put a good deal or it in pumpkin's trust fund. 

If we cut Andy we get nothing and most likely will role with Finley as the back up. You now have a 1 year player in the same QB room as our franchise's future.

Many folks around here want to part with Andy for one reason: The welfare of Andy; I saw it when we benched him. I like Andy as a person, but I don't put his welfare about the other 52 players on this team. 

Here's a question for you:

Who is going to take on Andy's !17 Mil contract and make him their starter? 

The contract can be restructured. The more the front office takes on, the better the draft pick they will get. As for cap hits, IIRC Andy can be cut with zero cap penalty, thus preserving Mike’s precious rollover money for Drew Sample’s big 2023 extension.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 01:27 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It's an investment in the franchise. I know how this organization works. Getting Andy's $17 Mil (considering someone is willing to take him and his contract on) does not mean Mikey is going to but $17 Mil back in the team. He'll put a good deal or it in pumpkin's trust fund. 

If we cut Andy we get nothing and most likely will role with Finley as the back up. You now have a 1 year player in the same QB room as our franchise's future.

Many folks around here want to part with Andy for one reason: The welfare of Andy; I saw it when we benched him. I like Andy as a person, but I don't put his welfare about the other 52 players on this team. 

Here's a question for you:

Who is going to take on Andy's !17 Mil contract and make him their starter? 

So your argument is you want to keep a disgruntled employee and use him because you can't get anything for him?

I don't know which team will step up and make MB an offer he can't refuse, but I am banking someone will as AD is a starting NFL QB, he has proven it over and over again. There is a reason he owns almost every QB record for this team including best interception % (lowest), most pass and rushing TD's and only has played 9 years in doing it.

I was taught a long time ago, if an employee does not want to work for you, they can do more damage than production. AD is a great guy, but he is also human. If he told MB he wants out if the draft Joe Burrow and MB ignores the request, then AD has every right to act anyway he wants to in 2020. He can be a great mentor or tell MB and ZT to pound salt, either way he still gest 17.5 million dollars. I assume he does not get his $200K workout bonus.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 04:53 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Add Andy to a long line of marquee players that has had enough of Mike Brown’s inept ways.  Everyone rags on Palmer, but Carson was right.  So were Pickens/Dillon/Boomer/Whit/JJo etc.  Other, minor role guys have said similar things when asked about how their new team treats the players.  It’s easy to label the player(s) as a quitter, or selfish, but 100% of the problem lies with Mike and Family.  They’re mediocre, and accept mediocrity as long as the revenue sharing rolls into their bank accounts.  You know all you need to know when two of the key front office personnel decide to take a European vacation during the trade deadline week.  The organization is a laughingstock, and the players can only take so much.

Why do folks have to slur Bengal greats to excuse Andy? Whit fulfilled his contract even after we took OT's in the first 2 rounds of the draft. Even after that I heard him in interviews saying what he could do to make Ced better. The Rams just stepped up and offered him a great contract for his age. Whit called Carson out on his BS and if he were still here and Andy pulls the same; I'm sure he'd call out Andy.

Boomer didn't ask to be traded until they had drafted his replacement early in RD 1 and even after that when the team asked him to stick around for another year and help out; he agreed to do so. 

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 05:51 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: So your argument is you want to keep a disgruntled employee and use him because you can't get anything for him?

I don't know which team will step up and make MB an offer he can't refuse, but I am banking someone will as AD is a starting NFL QB, he has proven it over and over again. There is a reason he owns almost every QB record for this team including best interception % (lowest), most pass and rushing TD's and only has played 9 years in doing it.

I was taught a long time ago, if an employee does not want to work for you, they can do more damage than production. AD is a great guy, but he is also human. If he told MB he wants out if the draft Joe Burrow and MB ignores the request, then AD has every right to act anyway he wants to in 2020. He can be a great mentor or tell MB and ZT to pound salt, either way he still gest 17.5 million dollars. I assume he does not get his $200K workout bonus.

And I was taught a long time ago that you don't reward bad behavior. It can motivate other employees to do likewise. Seems we were just taught different lessons.

My argument is if we agree to pay Andy $17 Mil next year then he should agree to do what is asked of him to help the team that is paying him.

Quit comparing Andy's stats to Bengal QBs of different eras unless you want to come out and say Andy Dalton is the best QB in Bengal history. Instead let's compare his stats to his peers. 

Sure Andy has the "right" to act anyway he wants to in 2020 and the team has the right to use him anyway they want. 

You can be honest and asked something I suggested earlier (remember you got to be honest). You want Andy to go if we draft Burrow for Andy's benefit instead of that of the rest of the team don't you?

Personally, I have more faith in Andy's character than many. If he's asked to stay and mentor he will, do it to the best of his ability, and then see what he can get on the open market in 2021. 

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:59 AM)Sensei Wrote: I want Andy to get a chance to start somewhere. Let him go and trade him. This team is in rebuild mode. Andy has been nothing but a good soldier and should be given an opportunity to move on. As long as it's not in the division I'd pull for him every time he takes the field minus against the bengals. New scenery could do wonders for him and in exchange we might be able to pick up someone to fill a hole. I'm a fan until the end but I recognize we need a new direction.

I live in LA and it appears Rivers is done here. I think AD would be nice fit for the Chargers at this point. They have a good roster and he can help get them  back into playoff picture without being asked to be a superman QB that he needed to be in Cincy.   
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 11:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Enamored?  Five consecutive playoff appearances?  Yes, that was fun.  And he had pitt beat last year, but the defense couldn't get a stop with 1:00 left.  

It kills me that fans are so ignorant to think it is only the QB.  Look at what Tannehill did in Miami...did anyone think he was better than Dalton before joining the TItans?  No.  But I guess it is easier to pin the blame on him.

So if the defense gives up points they lost the game But good old Andy isn't responsible for any losses. If he had won that game it would have him at 4-12. I'm still not good with that record either.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 03:37 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: He will be starting QB for the Bears!

Nope.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28400257/bears-commit-mitchell-trubisky-qb-starter-2020

Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 11:25 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Enamored?  Five consecutive playoff appearances?  Yes, that was fun.  And he had pitt beat last year, but the defense couldn't get a stop with 1:00 left.  

It kills me that fans are so ignorant to think it is only the QB.  Look at what Tannehill did in Miami...did anyone think he was better than Dalton before joining the TItans?  No.  But I guess it is easier to pin the blame on him.

This is like a discussion with a Steelers fan. Whenever they can't justify their stance on a subject it's always the same old come back" but we have six rings". The Dalton Gangers always cite his five consecutive PO appearances even though that was four years ago and he won a grand total of zero of those PO games.
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 07:33 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: This is like a discussion with a Steelers fan. Whenever they can't justify their stance on a subject it's always the same old come back" but we have six rings". The Dalton Gangers always cite his five consecutive PO appearances even though that was four years ago and he won a grand total of zero of those PO games.

But he went 26/42 and threw for 229 yds and ALMOST beat the Steelers last year!!!

[Image: 20140514153810fdeahdgjpg]

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2019, 12:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: It appears the Dalton era will come to an end as we prepare for the Joe Burrow arrival.

I enjoyed AD's last meeting with the media. I believe he gave away his hand today, he wants to start for a team in 2020.

Lots of speculation since AD is under contract for 1 more year.

Will Bengals trade him or keep him to mentor Burrow in 2020?

I got a sense AD will not be a mentor in 2020 which will force MB to trade him. I think that is best plan anyway, but I think it will be Dalton forcing the issue if that is not the plan, trade me or I skip all off season activities if not the starter.

Thoughts?

After last year sure fire 1st round pick the Bengals got in the early part of that round and only to see him miss all of the season is a big concern I have as a fan. Bengals have an issue with most rookies coming in and being healthy in year 1. I would hate to see Burrow come in and get hurt the Bengals have Finley to play in his place. If that happened, next year will be even worst than this year. 
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 10:49 AM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: After last year sure fire 1st round pick the Bengals got in the early part of that round and only to see him miss all of the season is a big concern I have as a fan. Bengals have an issue with most rookies coming in and being healthy in year 1. I would hate to see Burrow come in and get hurt the Bengals have Finley to play in his place. If that happened, next year will be even worst than this year. 

That sounds like buying a Corvette but not driving it because you may wreck it. DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 01:52 PM)bfine32 Wrote: They are both FAs in 2020 and Brees has shown no signs of wanting to hang them up. Are you suggesting they pay both or are you suggesting they let Brees walk?

And what about Taysom Hill (sp?).  I would take that dude in a heartbeat.  
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 10:49 AM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: After last year sure fire 1st round pick the Bengals got in the early part of that round and only to see him miss all of the season is a big concern I have as a fan. Bengals have an issue with most rookies coming in and being healthy in year 1. I would hate to see Burrow come in and get hurt the Bengals have Finley to play in his place. If that happened, next year will be even worst than this year. 

I believe that he "fell" to the Bengals because teams above us realized he was damaged goods. Without a true GM and scouting department things like this happen.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2020, 03:10 PM)Bengalstripes18 Wrote: If they could pull off a trade at the start of free agency and get a good pick for Dalton that would be great. But as others have alluded to, its a saturated qb market with qbs teams dont need to give up picks to aquire. What kind of value does Dalton demand, realistically? His value may be greater as a mentor. If he forces the trade thats fine, but you'd like some value in return. A high 2nd round pick at the least.

I'm not trying to be funny when I say this, but after paying Zeke and bowing to his demands, and not paying their QB, could Dallas decide to NOT pay Dak Prescott?  Who is bidding against them?  Dalton at 17 million vs Dak wanting over 30?  The rest of their team would pay the price.  
Reply/Quote
(01-02-2020, 11:05 AM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I believe that he "fell" to the Bengals because teams above us realized he was damaged goods. Without a true GM and scouting department things like this happen.

He fell because other teams picked players they felt were better fit for their scheme. Also the GIANTS took a gamble on Daniel Jones and they looked like they picked a diamond in the pre-season but come the actual season, yikes, that was something different. 
Reply/Quote