Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dan Pitcher is new OC
(01-25-2024, 05:23 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I get what you are saying. But the two #1 seeds this year reinforce my belief they have had an advantage by getting extra draft picks. Everybody knows draft picks are a highly sought after commodity in the NFL, because they help you add young talent to your team and they are under contract cheap for at least 4 years.

Isn’t Belichick the greatest coach of all time? And how has he done since the greatest QB of all time left his team?

Coaches have a role in a teams success. But ultimately it’s the players on the field and how they perform that determines wins and losses.

There is a boatload of qualified coaches out there. Just so happens there are rules that directly benefit your team if you hire minority coaches. So why not maximize your opportunities to improve the team?

The Ravens turned the two draft picks they got from losing David Culley into 3 draft picks with a trade. And have 3 starters on their #1 seed team to show for it. C, CB, and P.

All coaches have ups and downs even the great ones.. and i give more credit to HC i think than you do on success of a team, they have a big influence with being one the main people in being the puzzle maker of the team ie drafting the right players, improving the players, free agent picks, building the culture of a winning team etc.

For example look at NE, Bill was great find mid picks that were successful in his system, hell Brady is a great example, he helped mold him into the player he became, how about the Oline which tended to be a positive area during Bills tenure, NE was one of the least likely teams to take a Oline in 1st or 2nd round. Bill had a great success with mid picks over his career. A big part of the downfall of NE under him was the drafts of late were subpar for sure.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
PFF has the O-line ranked 26th. We are top 10 in salary and were almost completely healthy all year (they all played over 1,000 snaps).

We were far healthier than most. We were more well paid than most. And still stunk.

Our O is very predictable formationally if it is run/pass. Kepp the D guessing more.

Tee + the trenches (DT, RT, OL) is where our cap space & draft capital need to be focused.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 03:32 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: All coaches have ups and downs even the great ones.. and i give more credit to HC i think than you do on success of a team, they have a big influence with being one the main people in being the puzzle maker of the team ie drafting the right players, improving the players, free agent picks, building the culture of a winning team etc.

For example look at NE, Bill was great find mid picks that were successful in his system, hell Brady is a great example, he helped mold him into the player he became, how about the Oline which tended to be a positive area during Bills tenure, NE was one of the least likely teams to take a Oline in 1st or 2nd round. Bill had a great success with mid picks over his career. A big part of the downfall of NE under him was the drafts of late were subpar for sure.

Very interesting discussion on NFL Insiders w/ Judy Battista, Ian Rapoport, and Tom Palissero. Basically the Bill Parcells taskmaster coaching style isn’t wanted. They said watching Dan Campbell’s success they want young and always positive coaches. They said younger players these days just don’t relate to the older style. Well the Brown’s were ahead of the game because they got all that in multitudes with Zac Taylor. I’m sure Zac gleamed that to some degree from Sean McVay. They said it was helping Vrabel or Belichick.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 04:18 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: PFF has the O-line ranked 26th. We are top 10 in salary and were almost completely healthy all year (they all played over 1,000 snaps).

there are no studs on this line. Objr is good, Volson is mediocre overall, Karras is decent, Cappa is decent. The RT play needs to be decent at the very least. They cannot have poor RT play in 2024 if they want to win the super bowl

they also need to inject some athleticism on this line. It's by far the least athletic o-line in the league

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
The longer they wait to promote Brad to QBC, it grows more likely it isn’t him

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 01:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: The longer they wait to promote Brad to QBC, it grows more likely it isn’t him

He’s been at the East/West Shrine game all week and the Rooney rule does apply.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Maybe. If they plan on rolling out the red carpet for him with the media availability. But it sounds like they will do their due diligence so there’s still a chance it’s not an afterthought that the position is his. They could have been working on what would happen if Pitcher was promote, so I still wouldn’t think it would be too long of a process.

Especially with him being away this week.

Reply/Quote
so just curious here.... does being a QB coach makes you a good OC in general? Is that like a natural progression?

If he was able to get Browning to shine solely on his coaching, then this is looking good, although considering Zac calls the plays... his role will be limited again, just getting the players ready to whatever Zac calls? Seems Callahan did a great job just by taking their lack of penalties in a game into consideration. His 1st tiem role as an OC, big jump, look forward to some trick plays from him. This will be the next level for this team, and what makes Zac a better HC than Marvin imho, that is willing to take more risks.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 03:05 PM)Bengalitis Wrote: so just curious here.... does being a QB coach makes you a good OC in general? Is that like a natural progression?

I'd imagine a QB coach is familiar with the offensive scheme. I believe Zac noted that Pitcher listened in on play calling via the headset.

I wonder if Pitcher will be up in the booth or on the field come game day?
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 03:08 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'd imagine a QB coach is familiar with the offensive scheme. I believe Zac noted that Pitcher listened in on play calling via the headset.

I wonder if Pitcher will be up in the booth or on the field come game day?

Dan was in charge of the third down calls. He’s expected to have a play call ready if called on in the headset if Zac wants. I’m sure if it’s Brad or anyone they will inherit.

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 04:22 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well the Brown’s were ahead of the game because they got all that in multitudes with Zac Taylor. I’m sure Zac gleamed that to some degree from Sean McVay.

What is this Bengals slander......?

(01-28-2024, 02:51 PM)jj22 Wrote: Maybe. If they plan on rolling out the red carpet for him with the media availability. But it sounds like they will do their due diligence so there’s still a chance it’s not an afterthought that the position is his. They could have been working on what would happen if Pitcher was promote, so I still wouldn’t think it would be too long of a process.

Especially with him being away this week.

Position coaches don't normally get a ton of fan fair, Im sure there will be some media availability but it is not usually a big deal.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 03:34 PM)casear2727 Wrote: What is this Bengals slander......?

Position coaches don't normally get a ton of fan fair, Im sure there will be some media availability but it is not usually a big deal.

There was no slander. The NFL.com insiders were saying owners are steering clear of the head coaches that are Bill Parcells like taskmasters. They were looking at younger coaches building a positive culture. I said the Brown family were ahead of the trend by going with Zac.

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 06:44 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: There was no slander. The NFL.com insiders were saying owners are steering clear of the head coaches that are Bill Parcells like taskmasters. They were looking at younger coaches building a positive culture. I said the Brown family were ahead of the trend by going with Zac.

Lol, I thought Cleveland.....  we never see "the Browns" because Mike Brown is the only Brown making the coaching decisions.  

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 11:54 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Lol, I thought Cleveland.....  we never see "the Browns" because Mike Brown is the only Brown making the coaching decisions.  

Thought so

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2024, 11:54 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Lol, I thought Cleveland.....  we never see "the Browns" because Mike Brown is the only Brown making the coaching decisions.  
And all the rest are Blackburns, not Browns.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2024, 04:18 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: Our O is very predictable formationally if it is run/pass. Kepp the D guessing more.

Tee

Rather than spending $21m to bring back Tee, getting both Dalton Schultz and Hunter Henry is projected to be $18.8m. $2.2m less and you've now completely solved your TE need and also your WR3 need because it's not a need as much with 2 starting TEs who will let you both throw and run out of the same formation.

If you give Tee $21m you still need a WR3, you still need an entire TE position, and then you're just right back to where you were with your predictable offensive formation... and then Tee walks in '25 anyway leaving you right back to where we are now.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 06:22 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Rather than spending $21m to bring back Tee, getting both Dalton Schultz and Hunter Henry is projected to be $18.8m. $2.2m less and you've now completely solved your TE need and also your WR3 need because it's not a need as much with 2 starting TEs who will let you both throw and run out of the same formation.

If you give Tee $21m you still need a WR3, you still need an entire TE position, and then you're just right back to where you were with your predictable offensive formation... and then Tee walks in '25 anyway leaving you right back to where we are now.

Or if you wanna still run 11 personnel, get Schultz/Fant at TE and get a budget outside WR like Josh Reynolds or DJ Chark.

Chark put up 525 yards and 5 TDs with CAR last year and only 27 years old.
Reynolds 608 yards and 5 TDs (plus another 131-1 in the playoffs), about to turn 29 years old.
Both should command under $5 mill, I expect.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 08:37 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Or if you wanna still run 11 personnel, get Schultz/Fant at TE and get a budget outside WR like Josh Reynolds or DJ Chark.

Chark put up 525 yards and 5 TDs with CAR last year and only 27 years old.
Reynolds 608 yards and 5 TDs (plus another 131-1 in the playoffs), about to turn 29 years old.
Both should command under $5 mill, I expect.

And gas is still $.99/gal.   Ninja  

We live in the era where Allen Lazard and Jakobi Meyers got 4 and 3 years both at $11m/yr. Juju got 3 years at $8.5m/yr. The market for mid WRs has gotten pretty absurd. It was just 2015 when AJ Green signed a big $15m/yr deal.

Spotrac has...
Chark's projection as 1yr/$10.9m
Reynold's projection as 2yr/$14.1m

At that point I would rather just spend the extra $2.7m/yr over Chark to get a couple years of Gabe Davis who will be heading into his age 25 season. I wouldn't hate him and one of the two TEs you mentioned to go with drafting a young athletic promising TE in the mid rounds.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-02-2024, 08:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: And gas is still $.99/gal.   Ninja  

We live in the era where Allen Lazard and Jakobi Meyers got 4 and 3 years both at $11m/yr. Juju got 3 years at $8.5m/yr. The market for mid WRs has gotten pretty absurd. It was just 2015 when AJ Green signed a big $15m/yr deal.

Spotrac has...
Chark's projection as 1yr/$10.9m
Reynold's projection as 2yr/$14.1m

At that point I would rather just spend the extra $2.7m/yr over Chark to get a couple years of Gabe Davis who will be heading into his age 25 season. I wouldn't hate him and one of the two TEs you mentioned to go with drafting a young athletic promising TE in the mid rounds.

I was going off what their amount was last year, which was:
Chark - $5 mill
Reynolds - $3 mill

Reynolds especially has not played well enough to earn $7 mill APY, at least IMO.
Chark I could see MAYBE getting above $5 mill APY, but he hasn't hit 700+ yards since 2020 due to lack of targets, injury, etc.

I thought Gabe Davis was playing primarily in the slot for BUF, which is why I never considered him.
Has he always played outside and I just thought he was playing inside this whole time?
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote