Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Cat Bounce in full effect
(12-01-2019, 08:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: re: Dalton - People forget he was the QB when we were 0-8. Like he's some new revelation. Some button that was pushed that will save the team.

He benefitted today from an improved Oline (Glenn has solidified the left side), some key runs by Mixon and good pressure from the Dline--a lot of things he didn't have most of the first 8 games. 

That's not to say he didn't do his part. Sharp throws, no turnovers and good decisions. He's done that the vast majority of his career--his part with some aid from players around him. 

There were a few games early this year where he was just bad when the players around him weren't. 

It is what it is. And what it is....is....the Bengals need to draft Burrow and upgrade this line with a couple guys in the draft or free agency. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.  Even for a shit team like the Bengals currently are, there are players that give their all, every day.  They need a taste or two of victory, to remind them of why it is that they do what they do.  

All of the 2-win teams won today, so the Bengals still have a 2 game lead on that top draft slot.

Giants still have 2 wins.

It is VERY hard to go 0-16 though. I've been saying it for weeks.
Reply/Quote
In all reality though, look at the stats. Still can't crack 23 points, couldn't crack 300 yards, the run game after 19 carries by Mixon was crap, Daltons numbers were decent in the first half, lousy in the second half after the Jets adjusted. Only difference between the two teams were Jets' 10 sloppy penalties and sacks. This very well may be the only win of the season. But, as consolation, much better than joining the 0-16 club.
"In my mind, I'm already there"
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:22 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: This was the worst thing that could have happened, long term.

For whom?

[Image: giphy.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:32 PM)Edge Wrote: In all reality though, look at the stats. Still can't crack 23 points, couldn't crack 300 yards, the run game after 19 carries by Mixon was crap, Daltons numbers were decent in the first half, lousy in the second half after the Jets adjusted. Only difference between the two teams were Jets' 10 sloppy penalties and sacks. This very well may be the only win of the season. But, as consolation, much better than joining the 0-16 club.

We'll win 1 against the Browns and maybe beat the Dolphins.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:32 PM)Edge Wrote: In all reality though, look at the stats. Still can't crack 23 points, couldn't crack 300 yards, the run game after 19 carries by Mixon was crap, Daltons numbers were decent in the first half, lousy in the second half after the Jets adjusted. Only difference between the two teams were Jets' 10 sloppy penalties and sacks. This very well may be the only win of the season. But, as consolation, much better than joining the 0-16 club.

We atleast did some things that you see normal NFL teams do.

Likely IF Dalton played the past 2 weeks...we have 1 more win atleast. Maybe 2.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, it's that time, once again.  The Bengals season is officially in the tank, yet they'll reel off a few meaningless victories, and people will confuse that with actual improvement.

In fact, it's already happening.  I'm already seeing some fans on here singing Andy Dalton's praises, and lauding Lou Anarumo for the much improved defense.   LOL

well you actually are wrong on one game improvement, last three games Defense as avg. 13 points a game, if they have limit Cleveland to under 20 .. no doubt the defense is playing better 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:27 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Well...we'll probably win 3 games this year, lose the #1 pick...and lose Burrow and he'll be some franchise QB.

AND...Bengals Management will view winning 3 of our last 5 as some sign that things are going in the right direction...and make less changes.

Yeah. Mike Brown doesn't realize that a couple wins at the end of the year doesn't mean things are looking up, even though he's seen it many times and there's a name for it. Yet he still keeps pointing to them as some indicator for the next year. What a dork. 

How did that guy ever get into Dartmouth and Harvard?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well you actually are wrong on one game improvement, last three games Defense as avg. 13 points a game, if they have limit Cleveland to under 20 .. no doubt the defense is playing better 

They haven't exactly played top offenses either. But, it is some improvement.

Honestly, we've played an extremely weak schedule this year. a below average team would have 5-6 wins atleast against this soft schedule.
Reply/Quote
I too. like the rest of you Bengal fans, are mad they won today.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
We have to keep in mind that the Bengals are still in line to draft Burrow even if they win a few more games. Unless we pass the 3-9 Dolphins or perhaps the currently 3-8 Broncos. The 3-9 Redskins are not going to draft a QB since they just drafted Haskins. Same for the 2-10 Giants since they just drafted Jones.

With 2X the Browns and the Patriots still on the schedule, I really only see the Dolphins game as a possible win. Best bet 3-13, but probably 2-14.

I'm just glad the Bengals didn't enter the 0-16 club, not for Mike Brown (he deserves to be shamed), but for us fans.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:45 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: We have to keep in mind that the Bengals are still in line to draft Burrow even if they win a few more games.   Unless we pass the 3-9 Dolphins or perhaps the 3-8 Broncos.  The 3-9 Redskins are not going to draft a QB since they just drafted Haskins.   Same for the 2-10 Giants since they just drafted Jones.  

With 2X the Browns and the Patriots still on the schedule, I really only see the Dolphins game as a possible win.  Best bet 3-13, but probably 2-14.

Whoever gets the Top pick...if they don't need a QB will trade it. Some team will offer a lot for Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We atleast did some things that you see normal NFL teams do.

Call me a pessimist!! I do think Dalton would have won last week, granted. Cleveland, not so keen on this offense generating what it takes to keep their defense honest, nor being able to keep Chubb/Hunt combo and OBJ/Landry combo from big numbers...and the TE vs. our backers,....

Miami is playing much better than their record give clarity to, Fitz will give us fits, they looked good against Philly today. A much improved club last several weeks....and of course we have TomTom and Bill yet. 

My pessimist reasoning for 1-15. Coincidentally, I did like the Bengals over the Jets today...cashed in by taking the points, the win, and the under. Kind of writing on the wall. 
"In my mind, I'm already there"
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:38 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: well you actually are wrong on one game improvement, last three games Defense as avg. 13 points a game, if they have limit Cleveland to under 20 .. no doubt the defense is playing better 

My point is that if the offense can only score 10 points, then the defense MUST hold the other team to 9 or less points.  They win, or lose, as a team.  We do have some players that are developing, a few others that are actually having nice seasons, but at the end of the day this team is far from being what anyone would call "a contender".

Defense ain't that damn improved, either.  They talking about the improved run defense, but I saw them give up a 35 yard run, and be very lucky it was called back for a penalty.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Whoever gets the Top pick...if they don't need a QB will trade it. Some team will offer a lot for Burrow.

Or take the safe bet and take Chase Young if they don't need a QB.  But you are right, I could see the Dolphins trading up since they are loaded with picks.   It's going to be an interesting draft.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, I'm not so sure about that.  Even for a shit team like the Bengals currently are, there are players that give their all, every day.  They need a taste or two of victory, to remind them of why it is that they do what they do.  

All of the 2-win teams won today, so the Bengals still have a 2 game lead on that top draft slot.

Still have the Giants with 2 wins. There could be more to today than some may seem. Maybe Zac is the one who convinced Mikey yo bench Dalton. If so his job looks shaky at best right now. I do agree with those who see no point winning now. I totally get it and for those saying we’re not fans for rooting for a loss I look at it this way. The draft is our only savior, we do nothing in FA to make any kind of positive impact whatsoever. Hoping we lose for better draft picks is in the best interest of this team moving forward. It no different than some on here looking at the financial future of the team and wanting player cut, or not wanting a guy signed cause they know it will hurt the team in the long run. It would have been nice to have this victory over Pitt instead. But we got to taste victory for once, I just hope it’s enough to hold them off till next season. We are still in prime position for the first pick but I look at it more as a great bargaining chip to get more picks or entice a new coach(s).
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:11 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Today was like a nice dry fart after weeks of having the shits. It's a pleasant relief and just feels good for a minute.  Mellow

Has anyone checked their underwear just in case? Preparation H is good for such occasions when it burns to just fart. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:34 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We atleast did some things that you see normal NFL teams do.

I honestly believe we beat the Steelers with Dalton. Yes, I know his record against the Steelers is bad, but, that game was ripe for the taking and I feel with Dalton, the Bengals would have won that game. 
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 09:13 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Still have the Giants with 2 wins. There could be more to today than some may seem. Maybe Zac is the one who convinced Mikey yo bench Dalton. If so his job looks shaky at best right now. I do agree with those who see no point winning now. I totally get it and for those saying we’re not fans for rooting for a loss I look at it this way. The draft is our only savior, we do nothing in FA to make any kind of positive impact whatsoever. Hoping we lose for better draft picks is in the best interest of this team moving forward. It no different than some on here looking at the financial future of the team and wanting player cut, or not wanting a guy signed cause they know it will hurt the team in the long run. It would have been nice to have this victory over Pitt instead. But we got to taste victory for once, I just hope it’s enough to hold them off till next season. We are still in prime position for the first pick but I look at it more as a great bargaining chip to get more picks or entice a new coach(s).

This may hurt a few people's feelings, but I think Zac is the Organization's guy.  They went out to LA, courted and then proposed to him.  He's the one they fell in love with, he's now part of the "Bengal family".  Now, the staff of assistants?  I think that was just thrown together so that they would have warm bodies that Zac was familiar with.  I predict a mini-overhaul of the assistant coaching staff this offseason, as they won't have to wait until after the Superbowl to make moves this year.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Maybe it's just me and it probably is, but this team seemed to be sleep walking most of the season and it seems that today they just woke up. So the game statistically was meaningless, but I've been through some long, rough patches in life where nothing goes right and it feels like nothing will ever go right again, but once I hit a good stretch the bad times seem to fade nicely . It's like having a bad toothache. While it hurts like hell it's all you can think about. Once the pain stops it almost feels like it was months ago even if it was just the day before.
I have no idea where this team will be this time next season and for all I know they'll be winning again even if I have my doubts. Hell, I remember when Palmer walked away and Andy had yet to play a snap. Everyone thought the absolute worst and we'd never win again, but they went to the playoffs his first season. As easy as it is to feel gloom and doom perpetually the truth is it's not all gloom and doom. That doesn't mean I trust they'll do anything right, but I really don't know what exactly they'll do. Who knows? maybe next year they'll go to the playoffs and actually win. Hell, they might even knock off the Rats, Stains and Stoolers and I might catch a winning lottery ticket by sticking my hand out the window of my truck on the freeway in a hurricane. Heck, there might even be some woman who thinks I'm good looking again.. LOL Some women DO lie ya know.. ThumbsUp
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote