Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Cat Bounce in full effect
(12-01-2019, 08:45 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: We have to keep in mind that the Bengals are still in line to draft Burrow even if they win a few more games. Unless we pass the 3-9 Dolphins or perhaps the currently 3-8 Broncos. The 3-9 Redskins are not going to draft a QB since they just drafted Haskins. Same for the 2-10 Giants since they just drafted Jones.

With 2X the Browns and the Patriots still on the schedule, I really only see the Dolphins game as a possible win. Best bet 3-13, but probably 2-14.

I'm just glad the Bengals didn't enter the 0-16 club, not for Mike Brown (he deserves to be shamed), but for us fans.

No Burrows! Trade the pick for more picks get line help as well as linebacker with speed and draft the kid out of Washington State In the second. This team needs line help more than anything. Burrows is good but there are other glaring needs. Keep Dalton through next year and let AJ walk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Honestly, we've played an extremely weak schedule this year. a below average team would have 5-6 wins atleast against this soft schedule.

You should be barred from using the term "honestly".

Coming into today's game we had faced the third hardest schedule this year.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

9 of our 12 games have been against teams that are .500 or better.
Reply/Quote
Some will say this is the team rallying for the coach. Well, if that’s the case, why can’t they do that before the season goes into disarray?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 09:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You should be barred from using the term "honestly".

Let me guess, the tie breaker for draft slots is based on easiest schedule played so if we tie Giants for example, we get the 2nd overall pick versus #1 pick

Yep, here is it. Our tough SOS will hurt us if we tie others:

The strength of schedule for the previous season is the first tie-breaker for teams with the same winning percentage. The team with the lowest strength of schedule percentage wins the tiebreaker and picks ahead of all other teams with the same record.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 09:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You should be barred from using the term "honestly".

Perhaps he meant "week" as in we play a schedule that has a game every week. Outside of that I've got nothing. Everyone Most know we lose any draft tiebreaker because of our strength of schedule
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 09:26 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: And the line play was what? Glenn is back so at least there is some resemblance of a pocket.

This is true; Andy Dalton had more time to throw today and it showed. That’s good. Conversely, the run blocking is horrendous. That’s bad. Fixing the offensive line needs to include run blocking ability.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 09:40 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: This is true; Andy Dalton had more time to throw today and it showed.  That’s good.  Conversely, the run blocking is horrendous.  That’s bad.  Fixing the offensive line needs to include run blocking ability.

Jets have #1 run defense coming into today's game
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Whoever gets the Top pick...if they don't need a QB will trade it. Some team will offer a lot for Burrow.

The Giants would not pass on a guy like Chase Young. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Well...when you're 0-11 you've given other teams extra wins.

Take the Steelers for instance...they're 7-5. Easily the weakest Steelers roster we've faced in the past 20 years...and 2 wins against us. One with a 2nd string QB, the other with a 4th string QB. No Conner. No Pouncey. No Juju.

They're 7-5. IF we beat them twice...they're 5-7.

The Ravens (twice), Bills, Seahawks, and 49ers are legit teams that have a lot of wins and make our SOS look tough.

The Jaguars, Cardinals, Jets, Steelers (twice), and Raiders are all bad rosters and were beatable.

The Rams are decent. Not great.

The Browns (twice) are bad. As are the Dolphins.

So we played 4 really good teams...but also some really bad rosters that we should have beat.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed Pittsburgh is decimated and 7-5. How they have 7 wins...I don't know.

Better depth, better coaching, team is committed to winning. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 09:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I get you're trying to save face, but why list teams we haven't played yet?

We do play them. Do you think the Browns and Dolphins will suddenly turn into great teams between now and next week?

We play by my count 9 below average to bad teams this year. We'll see how many wins we finish with.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 09:29 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: No Burrows! Trade the pick for more picks get line help as well as linebacker with speed and draft the kid out of Washington State In the second. This team needs line help more than anything. Burrows is good but there are other glaring needs. Keep Dalton through next year and let AJ walk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has Mike Brown EVER traded one pick for more picks? I bet Fred probably knows.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:07 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Has Mike Brown EVER traded one pick for more picks?  I bet Fred probably knows.

I'd go Joe Burrow...sign Conklin to play RT and Scherff to play Guard. It will cost A LOT, but worth it.

Then, have Burrow on a rookie deal for 5 years.

Man, it seems like pocket passers struggle in the modern NFL though. Guys like Goff and Wentz seem to have regressed. Guys like Mahomes, Watson, and Jackson seem to be the ones thriving.

I wonder if needing a mobile QB is a prerequisite for the modern NFL?
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We do play them. Do you think the Browns and Dolphins will suddenly turn into great teams between now and next week?

We play by my count 9 below average to bad teams this year. We'll see how many wins we finish with.

I'm not going to argue one way or another on these posts.

However I do wonder about strength of schedule when it's all been said and done.

Strength of schedule based on the team's past.

A lot can happen before the season actually begins or in progress.

Roster changes, injuries, weird star player outliers like Antonio Brown as a negative, or Khalil Mack/Minkah Fitzpatrick type players as positive additions.

Then you have a team like the Browns that have all of these pieces floating around but not solidly in place.

How many times have you looked at schedules of teams(not even our own)and had some misconceptions about the toughness of their schedule only to see them actually be weak?
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:12 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm not going to argue one way or another on these posts.

However I do wonder about strength of schedule when it's all been said in done.

Strength of schedule based on the team's past.

A lot can happen before the season actually begins or in progress.

Roster changes, injuries, weird star player outliers like Antonio Brown as a negative, or Kahlil Mack/Micah Fitzpatrick type players as positive additions.

Then you have a team like the Browns that have all of these pieces floating around but not solidly in place.

How many times have you looked at schedules of teams(not even our own)and had some misconceptions about the toughness of their schedule only to see them actually be weak?

SOS going into a season is worthless.

Interestingly, we caught the Jets this week when they had been playing well seemingly and we beat them.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed Pittsburgh is decimated and 7-5. How they have 7 wins...I don't know.

They have a decent OLine.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: SOS going into a season is worthless.

Interestingly, we caught the Jets this week when they had been playing well seemingly and we beat them.

Well last year our team was a false impressive 4-1 and carried into the mid season of 5-3.

All the while the team was sinking with Lazor at OC.  Our DC gets fired.  The rest is history.

The Bengals looked strong by their record originally but crashed and burned.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:22 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: They have a decent OLine.

Yeah man, that's already been mentioned, as well as them having a stout DL, and how Minkah Fitzpatrick has been a shot in the arm for a weak secondary.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:47 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Whoever gets the Top pick...if they don't need a QB will trade it. Some team will offer a lot for Burrow.

I don't think they will.  C'mon.... Burrow isn't the next coming of a great QB.  He is a good QB and maybe even a franchise QB, but us fans need to stop thinking that a player like Burrow is just what every team in the NFL is looking for.

There is a lot that goes into the drafting process and a good team isn't going to be wowed by pretty stats.  Interviews, combine, private workouts... all of those have to be done before making the assumption that players are locks and will be the difference makers we think they will be.

As much as I like the J. Williams pick and am banging the table for Andrew Thomas for our selection, I at least will acknowledge that the value I have for these 2 players aren't the same as other teams have.  1 or both could be bust and failures.  Add that I don't have the resources that the NFL teams have and I never get to interview them, it would be pretty presumptuous of me to claim that the Bengals made a great decision in drafting Williams and are idiots for not taking Thomas.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:30 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah man, that's already been mentioned, as well as them having a stout DL, and how Minkah Fitzpatrick has been a shot in the arm for a weak secondary.

The strong OLine, makes everyone else better.  Which is what I have been saying.  Someone just recently tried to use Pittsburgh as an example of a team with a good OLine that are terrible, their record proves my point.
Reply/Quote