Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Cat Bounce in full effect
(12-01-2019, 08:22 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: This was the worst thing that could have happened, long term.

Your absolutely correct

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WhoDey2
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:48 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No one is disputing that a strong Oline helps everyone else. I pointed out the difference between Pitt and Baltimore's records and the only difference is QB play. 

A couple posts above i listed the numerous ways the Bengals can take Burrow #1OA and still improve the line immensely. 

You mentioned it by claiming that we should take Jack Conklin.... you know the guy that the Titan declined to use their 5th year contract on?

That doesn't address our OLine, that is taking cast offs from other teams and hoping to patch a hole with a guy that the team that drafted him isn't interested in keeping.

Scherff is considered a top OG in the NFL.  Either the Redskins retain him or he goes to the highest bidder.  If you think the Bengals will bid highly for an OG then I don't know what else to tell you.  We let Zeitler go and even Steinbach, Scherff isn't a possibility for us.  I could be wrong and I hope that I am, but us getting him is almost as much a fantasy of us taking OT, OG and OC in the draft this year, which is what I want us to do.

We could repair this line through the draft and if Conklin isn't overpaid by someone else, I would be fine with bringing him in as a stop gap / back up at the position.
Reply/Quote
I would rather win football games then have the first pick in the draft. The very best teams in the league always draft last and they seem to draft better than the worst teams in the league who draft first.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:48 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I don't know about Glenn as he's generally been below average when he plays, but he's better than Jerry and Smith. I'd love to move on from him IF we could.

Man, IF Jonah is a bust that's going to a huge dagger. I haven't really thought about it too much, but he could I suppose.

What do you think about Conklin AND Scherff? Waive or trade Glenn to save his salary. Then draft Burrow and trade Dalton to save his $17 million.

You'd essentially use Dalton and Glenn's salary for Conklin and Scherff.

If possible, i would rather sign Conklin and Scherff because that would open up the 2nd round to fill another need. 

I'm not against keeping Glenn (under contract next year) because he is still pretty good at passpro and it's another position that would be filled and not a need in the draft. He's been gradually regressing (last 3 years in Buffalo and last year with the Bengals) but he can still keep guys off the QB, even if his run blocking blows chunks. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:50 PM)TKUHL Wrote: You put more thought into that than the FO would have. 

Sometimes it seems like that, doesn't it?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:05 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: You mentioned it by claiming that we should take Jack Conklin.... you know the guy that the Titan declined to use their 5th year contract on?

That doesn't address our OLine, that is taking cast offs from other teams and hoping to patch a hole with a guy that the team that drafted him isn't interested in keeping.

Scherff is considered a top OG in the NFL.  Either the Redskins retain him or he goes to the highest bidder.  If you think the Bengals will bid highly for an OG then I don't know what else to tell you.  We let Zeitler go and even Steinbach, Scherff isn't a possibility for us.  I could be wrong and I hope that I am, but us getting him is almost as much a fantasy of us taking OT, OG and OC in the draft this year, which is what I want us to do.

We could repair this line through the draft and if Conklin isn't overpaid by someone else, I would be fine with bringing him in as a stop gap / back up at the position.

Conklin is 25 and grades out at 69.6 by PFF. Is he a star? No. But, star Tackles get franchise tagged.

He's a vast upgrade to Hart. Hart is at 51.7 right now.

Repairing the line through the draft hasn't worked out for the Bengals for the past 4-5 years. Could they do it? I suppose, but it's risky.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:55 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I wonder IF Zac can survive working for this organization. This kind of makes me question the pressure he's under:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Boo...frickin...hoo.

If you step into the kitchen, willingly, to cook...don't be upset when people don't like the food. Some people just weren't born to be Gordon Ramsey. 

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:11 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Boo...frickin...hoo.

If you step into the kitchen, willingly, to cook...don't be upset when people don't like the food. Some people just weren't born to be Gordon Ramsey. 

I do think he was a bit naieve. I think he probably thought that he could come in here and get these guys playing at higher levels...and it didn't happen.

And I think he underestimated working for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:00 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Better depth, better coaching, team is committed to winning. 

(12-01-2019, 10:38 PM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I don't understand this "So sorry we won, it might move us down in the draft."  I'm 72 years old.  How many seasons do I have left?  I want to see MY team win every damn game on the schedule.  I hate the Jets; they knocked us out of the playoffs twice. They were begging for mercy at the end today and damn it was fun to watch.  I absolutely despise the Clowns and their smirking, overrated QB and we've got them twice.  Knock their asses into their putrid excuse for a lake.  Then knock their asses into our beautiful river.  Of course I hate the Patriots, their smug QB, their cheating coach, their we're so entitled fan base.  Shock the world and shove Mixon down their chowder-slurping gizzards.  Who else do we have, Miami?  Can't say I hate the Dolphins -- I mean, dolphins are cute and all --  but hell, let's beat them too.  The way we've been drafting lately it won't matter whether we're picking 1st or 10th, so let's just have some fun NOW.
I agree. Personally, I wouldn't bother wasting my time on this message board this season if I wanted the team to lose just for better draft position.  I'd rather this team win the last 4 games than lose them.  Losing has a negative effect on the players, coaches and staff who are already here.

I am tile contractor and if someone paid me more or gave me a new truck for the company to have my guys do a bad job(s), I wouldn't take it.  It's bad for the business and I'd never in a million years ask my guys to give nothing but their best.  I think that rational is just silly and I think NFL owners wholeheartedly agree.s
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:09 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Conklin is 25 and grades out at 69.6 by PFF. Is he a star? No. But, star Tackles get franchise tagged.

He's a vast upgrade to Hart. Hart is at 51.7 right now.

Repairing the line through the draft hasn't worked out for the Bengals for the past 4-5 years. Could they do it? I suppose, but it's risky.

Upgrading the Bengals’ offensive line begins with upgrading the Bengals offensive line coach. I don’t see Jim Turner as the long term answer and I wonder what it would take for Mike Munchak to leave the Broncos.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:06 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I would rather win football games then have the first pick in the draft.  The very best teams in the league always draft last and they seem to draft better than the worst teams in the league who draft first.

No kidding.  Shaking my damn head at the responses I'm reading tonight. Walking out of PBS today you'd think we'd won a playoff game.  There were 'Who Dey?!' chants and people high-fiving.  You know, actually enjoying the outcome of a Bengals game.  Then, after 2+ nightmare hours in the parking lot/fustercluck that was I-75 north, I finally get home and log on to see the celebrating, and it's wall to wall pissing and moaning on here.  

If you cant enjoy this win for the players, your fellow fans, or even yourself, then maybe you need to find another way to spend your Sundays. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:14 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: No kidding.  Shaking my damn head at the responses I'm reading tonight. Walking out of PBS today you'd think we'd won a playoff game.  There were 'Who Dey?!' chants and people high-fiving.  You know, actually enjoying the outcome of a Bengals game.  Then, after 2+ nightmare hours in the parking lot/fustercluck that was I-75 north, I finally get home and log on to see the celebrating, and it's wall to wall pissing and moaning on here.  

If you cant enjoy this win for the players, your fellow fans, or even yourself, then maybe you need to find another way to spend your Sundays. 

I want the Cleveland Browns destroyed in a week. I want to go 5-11 because that’s the best we can do. The draft is full of great prospects at every position of need and tanking for a pick is male bovine fecal material. Bill Belichick usually drafts 32d and always finds a player who immediately makes his team better. Mike Brown drafts early and finds bigger busts than Dolly Parton.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:55 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: Just curious as to why you think Conklin is so good?  The Titans declined to exercise the 5th year option on the contract.

I am not against bringing him in and letting him compete if the price is right.  However, I don't think he would be the answer at OT as many on here seem to make him out to be.

I still say take Andrew Thomas from Georgia.  He can play LT or RT and has done so at a high level, much the same as Williams.  If Williams struggles then hopefully Thomas will pan out.  Same thing if Thomas struggles. 

If they both struggle then that is when having Conklin as an option would be ideal.  If they both perform well then Conklin would be a solid back up in the event of an injury.

My point is that Conklin looks like a solid back up or a stop gap until you find someone better, but not a legit starter that you can rely on.  So I am just curious as to why you and some others keep banging the drum for him, like I do for Thomas?

I would surmise that they declined to extend due to his knee and because they have to pay Lewan and Saffold big bucks already and i believe they think Dennis Kelly can take over Conklin's spot. He hasn't played at the All Pro level from his rookie year but he's an instant upgrade to Bobby Hart and he's above average in passpro, even after his injury...which he will be another year away from. He has bounced back from an "average" year in 2018 and i think he should get even better next year. 

Conklin isn't going to sign to be a backup. And he's not a stop gap. If he's in FA, he's going to look to get paid. As far as Thomas goes...i don't question his talent. I just don't want another average to below year from whoever is behind center next year. I want a #1OA graded QB and i want to fix the line, which can be done between now and the start of TC next year. Year after year i keep seeing other teams get QBs that make throws in the most important games to win Sunday and Monday night and Playoff games. I want one of those guys. 

If you don't know much about Joe Burrow, don't just watch a couple videos, go read up on him.
 https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_b12cabf8-65e2-11e8-889b-c3de62778f9f.html
https://www.tigerrag.com/football-junkie-joe-burrow-impressing-lsus-coaching-staff-with-hard-work-humility/
This guy isn't Akili "i don't know the playbook" Smith--the one hit wonder some compare him to. Someone posted a video of him at OSU, a tug of war with a LB--and Joe won. The guy is a competitor.

It looks like he has a bit of an ego, but so did Boomer "I don't want to sound like a spoiled brat, but this is like a slap in the face to me" Esiason. 

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:14 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: No kidding.  Shaking my damn head at the responses I'm reading tonight. Walking out of PBS today you'd think we'd won a playoff game.  There were 'Who Dey?!' chants and people high-fiving.  You know, actually enjoying the outcome of a Bengals game.  Then, after 2+ nightmare hours in the parking lot/fustercluck that was I-75 north, I finally get home and log on to see the celebrating, and it's wall to wall pissing and moaning on here.  

Indeed. Going 0-16 would have been a terrible stain that I want no part of.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 10:59 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: I feel the same way about any QB selection.  

Considering how well the line blocked today and how well they've been blocking with Glenn back...and that they can easily upgrade a position or two before next year, so you can do that and STILL get a QB...there's no reason for you to feel that way. 

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:44 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Considering how well the line blocked today and how well they've been blocking with Glenn back...and that they can easily upgrade a position or two before next year, so you can do that and STILL get a QB...there's no reason for you to feel that way. 

We almost have to go QB.

IF we don't...are we going to extend Dalton and let him be the QB here for the next 5-7 years?

This win was nice...but Dalton was 0-8 as a starter before. I doubt that some big revival is coming.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:12 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I do think he was a bit naieve. I think he probably thought that he could come in here and get these guys playing at higher levels...and it didn't happen.

And I think he underestimated working for the Bengals.

But i won't deny that he's been hindered by injuries to very key guys and retirement from other(s). 

It's not an excuse...but i'd like to see how crappy he is with a healthy team before i toss him out with the trash. 

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:49 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: But i won't deny that he's been hindered by injuries to very key guys and retirement from other(s). 

It's not an excuse...but i'd like to see how crappy he is with a healthy team before i toss him out with the trash. 

We will always have some injuries. But yes...totally healthy I would be curious too.

Guys like AJ Green, Dennard, Glenn...they're hurt basically every year for atleast a few games.

Lets face it too, most franchise's hire a new HC and they bring in a few upgrades in free agency. Zac didn't get that either.

It's just hard to win here. IF he went to a team like the 49ers, he'd get more support from the franchise.
Reply/Quote
So, let me get this straight...

Some of you can't stand losing so much, during this piece of crap 1-11 lost season, you'd rather win a couple meaningless game and get NOTHING out of this wasted season, as opposed to actually profiting from this raging dumpster fire.

You really want NOTHING for your efforts?

SMDH

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 11:54 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We will always have some injuries. But yes...totally healthy I would be curious too.

Guys like AJ Green, Dennard, Glenn...they're hurt basically every year for atleast a few games.

Lets face it too, most franchise's hire a new HC and they bring in a few upgrades in free agency. Zac didn't get that either.

It's just hard to win here. IF he went to a team like the 49ers, he'd get more support from the franchise.

A game or two from a few guys, sure. This team has had major, long term injures for years now. 

Reply/Quote