Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Cat Bounce in full effect
(12-02-2019, 01:06 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: The thing is - they could have Burrow and upgrade the line (via the draft AND free agency) if they chose to. It doesn't really have to be, and shouldn't be, an either/or proposition. That's the frustrating part. They'll most likely have the one of the top 2 picks, and plenty of cap...so there's no reason both things couldn't get accomplished. 

Man, just stop.  We both know just as well as everyone here that there's most definitely a reason why they won't do both.  Because Bengals.  That's it.  You know how the Hobson math is done regarding FA.  Some rookies here, some injuries there, a Billings/Hopkins extension multiplied by the square root of some bat wings and a pinch of eye of newt and boom!  Your're in cap hell before the legal tampering period starts.  OMG we're so poor!  We just can't operate like a real NFL team!  The Blackburn kids will be eating in the soup kitchens with Tiny Tim if they spend more than 8 mil on a linebacker that can run. The poor inbreds will have WIC cards before the season starts!

On top of that, they'll have us know that they believe that we're on the verge of the Super Bowl and have been since the Hill fumble in January 2016, so why waste time/energy on getting better personnel.  Plus Antonio Brown hoodwinked Oakland and Kwon Alexander got hurt, therefore free agency is the devil.  Better to hope that your shitty drafted guys develop than waste money on proven guys.

We should just assume that they'll (maybe) get 2 decent upgrades at the beginning of round 1 and 2 and bring the same dudes back.  Dalton will remain to mentor whoever or be the starter.  AJ will get a bajillion dollar deal to eat up all of the cap and let the Blackburns hit the slopes early.  

Wash, rinse, repeat.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 01:01 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I was actually pretty skeptical of Burrow early in the year and called him a 1-year wonder...but I started watching him play more. He very well could be a bust, but IF he's the real deal...it turns this franchise around.

IF I had 1 - Burrow
2 - Young
3 - Thomas

That would be how I'd draft. And note: I'd be happy with Thomas. Addressing line is a big thing.

It's just, at some point we need a QB and picking 1 seems like a great time to take one.

I can understand this.  I just disagree with taking Burrow.  I don't buy into him at all.  I know a lot of people do, but I can't be counted as one of them.

I would just hate the pick and basically just watch him fail as this team will do nothing to help him in any way.  Taking Burrow and signing Conklin will only have us signing in a castoff that wasn't wanted by the team that drafted him.  It isn't like they couldn't afford him, they didn't even have to think about that, all they had to do was exercise the 5th year option.  You also mentioned his injury history, you know our luck with often injured players and you want to risk bringing in Conklin?

I am also not a huge fan of Young either.  Though I again understand the desire to bring him here, especially with the Bosa brothers and Hubbard playing so well, but a lot of Young's big games have been against Cincinnati and Miami (Ohio) University, which to me isn't the same as playing against Georgia or Alabama.  So while I understand the desire for us to take him and we do need help on Defense, I don't see it as the need as OLine is.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 01:42 AM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: I feel the same way about people screaming for Conklin and having us draft Burrows.  

Because that's the smart way to fix both areas. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 01:57 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Because that's the smart way to fix both areas. 

Not when Conklin is on the bench nursing another injury or when he is on the field playing so poorly that we go "OHHH... So that is why Tennessee declined to exercise that 5th year option"....

Or when Burrows doesn't connect with his WRs and he throws more INTs than TDs while running for his life.

I notice that when talking about FA and the Draft, you guys are fine with getting FA for every other position EXCEPT for QB.  Nope, we need to draft a QB, but need to address OLine in FA. 

Like I said with Conklin, it isn't like the Titans had to part ways with him at the end of this season because they couldn't afford him.  They could have easily used the option on him, they chose not too.  That isn't "smart" and may not fix anything.

I am not even against bringing in Conklin, I would just bring him in as competition to compete against Williams and Thomas as well as giving us some reliable insurance in the event that 1 or both don't pan out and if they both do ball out, then we have great depth with a decent,  quality OT to step in if we have an injury.

That is what is smart.  Save it about claiming the need to fix "both" areas, as I think only 1 area needs fixing, and that is OLine.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 01:42 AM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: Hell even in 16 after he lost his OLine, many of those games came down to the FG kicker missing what should have been game winning kicks.  Even with the tie (which was another missed FG) our record would have been 9-6-1 and good enough for the playoffs, if we don't tie Washington in London that year and make that kick to win it the record is 10-6, which again is a playoff bound team.

Two missed kicks resulted in loss/tie. OT vs Washington and the end of the Texans game. That's 8-8 at best. Since we're making the kicks that were missed, then we have to miss the game winning kick in NY to start the season, so we're sitting at 7-9. No playoffs. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 01:52 AM)samhain Wrote: Man, just stop.  We both know just as well as everyone here that there's most definitely a reason why they won't do both.  Because Bengals.  That's it.  You know how the Hobson math is done regarding FA.  Some rookies here, some injuries there, a Billings/Hopkins extension multiplied by the square root of some bat wings and a pinch of eye of newt and boom!  Your're in cap hell before the legal tampering period starts.  OMG we're so poor!  We just can't operate like a real NFL team!  The Blackburn kids will be eating in the soup kitchens with Tiny Tim if they spend more than 8 mil on a linebacker that can run.  The poor inbreds will have WIC cards before the season starts!

On top of that, they'll have us know that they believe that we're on the verge of the Super Bowl and have been since the Hill fumble in January 2016, so why waste time/energy on getting better personnel.  Plus Antonio Brown hoodwinked Oakland and Kwon Alexander got hurt, therefore free agency is the devil.  Better to hope that your shitty drafted guys develop than waste money on proven guys.

We should just assume that they'll (maybe) get 2 decent upgrades at the beginning of round 1 and 2 and bring the same dudes back.  Dalton will remain to mentor whoever or be the starter.  AJ will get a bajillion dollar deal to eat up all of the cap and let the Blackburns hit the slopes early.  

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Yeah brother, I know very well that the front office probably won't take the most effective approach or make the smartest decisions, which is why I sad it's frustrating. Like I stated, there's no reason they can't do both, but obviously that sure as hell doesn't mean they will. That realization, year after year, is the most infuriating part it all.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 02:12 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Yeah brother,  I know very well that the front office probably won't take the most effective approach or make the smartest decisions, which is why I sad it's frustrating. Like I stated, there's no reason they can't do both, but obviously that sure as hell doesn't mean they will. That realization, year after year, is the most infuriating part it all.

Damn straight it is.  If they really cared about winning, they'd change the way they do those kinds of things.  Other teams seem to find ways to do new things well.  They just keep doing it the Bengal Way and making excuses.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Indeed Pittsburgh is decimated and 7-5. How they have 7 wins...I don't know.

Well, two of them were against us, so...... LMAO

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My point is that if the offense can only score 10 points, then the defense MUST hold the other team to 9 or less points.  They win, or lose, as a team.  We do have some players that are developing, a few others that are actually having nice seasons, but at the end of the day this team is far from being what anyone would call "a contender".

Defense ain't that damn improved, either.  They talking about the improved run defense, but I saw them give up a 35 yard run, and be very lucky it was called back for a penalty.

We had our own long run called back by penalty as well....

Now way we're a contender, but the Jets did have the number 7 defense in the league, number one against the run. We pretty much sat on the clock after the safety.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Like I said in another thread, it's hard to go 0-16.

We were going to win some games and our schedule is weak late in the year. Management can either take 2-3 meaningless wins as a sign that all is well. Or they can realize the wins are meaningless and try to improve.
Reply/Quote
Interestingly, it seems like a lot of the 'bad teams' are playing better late in the year. So we're not the only one. Look at the Redskins and Dolphins. The Giants even played the Packers close.
Reply/Quote
I'm glad to see the boys get a W. Winning dang sure feels better than losing. Ts, I still don't think they will win enough games to effect our draft that much. This draft has a lot of talent in it.

A healthy AJ Green and a couple of competent lineman will really help this offense. We already have our RBs and most of our WRs. Even if they choose not to sign AJ, this draft is deep at WR. It's not Young/Burrow or bust! Anyone that thinks this way hasn't studied this draft. There are arguably eight to ten NFL capable QBs in this draft.

Obviously, I like both players and I really like Young. Ts, it would be nice to have a couple of competent LBs for a change!!
I honestly don't think that it's our roster that is killing us, outside of LB. Injuries, change of scheme ect....have hurt us. Zac needs some coaching help imo. I'm not one to pump the sunshine into dark places, but with a SOLID draft, some coaching changes, and a couple of key FAs could get us back in the hunt by next season... hypothetically, of course.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, it's that time, once again.  The Bengals season is officially in the tank, yet they'll reel off a few meaningless victories, and people will confuse that with actual improvement.

In fact, it's already happening.  I'm already seeing some fans on here singing Andy Dalton's praises, and lauding Lou Anarumo for the much improved defense.   LOL

Sure happens a lot doesn't it. Hope they don't win anymore games but who am I kidding?

Could win out for all we know and Mikey and everyone will think we are just fine and we won't use FA to effect like always.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 01:52 AM)samhain Wrote: Man, just stop.  We both know just as well as everyone here that there's most definitely a reason why they won't do both.  Because Bengals.  That's it.  You know how the Hobson math is done regarding FA.  Some rookies here, some injuries there, a Billings/Hopkins extension multiplied by the square root of some bat wings and a pinch of eye of newt and boom!  Your're in cap hell before the legal tampering period starts.  OMG we're so poor!  We just can't operate like a real NFL team!  The Blackburn kids will be eating in the soup kitchens with Tiny Tim if they spend more than 8 mil on a linebacker that can run.  The poor inbreds will have WIC cards before the season starts!

Wash, rinse, repeat.

This is a HOF post in my opinion.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 04:38 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: This is a HOF post in my opinion.

I did not realize there was a HOF for "Drama Queen Lies".
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2019, 08:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yep, it's that time, once again.  The Bengals season is officially in the tank, yet they'll reel off a few meaningless victories, and people will confuse that with actual improvement.

In fact, it's already happening.  I'm already seeing some fans on here singing Andy Dalton's praises, and lauding Lou Anarumo for the much improved defense.   LOL

One point doesn't make a trend. Man, I'm just glad we didn't go 0-16. I would say I don't care what they do from here but I really hate watching them lose and trying to balance that with that overall first pick so I'm torn in that regard.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 05:06 PM)R3stangs Wrote:  I would say I don't care what they do from here but I really hate watching them lose and trying to balance that with that overall first pick so I'm torn in that regard.

This is exactly how I feel.  I know it is probably better in the long run if they lose, but when I watch a game I can't root for them to lose.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 04:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I did not realize there was a HOF for "Drama Queen Lies".

Nothing he said was untrue. 

Inb4 "bajillion dollars"

Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 05:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Nothing he said was untrue. 

Inb4 "bajillion dollars"

Bengals are not currently saying we are on the verge of a Super Bowl. 

Bengals have tried to get better personnel since 2015. 

Blackburn kids are not inbreds.

I could go on and on and on and on, but it doesn't really matter.  You guys enjoy making stuff up more than talking about reality.  It is all about who can be the most creative squealer and whiner.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2019, 05:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This is exactly how I feel.  I know it is probably better in the long run if they lose, but when I watch a game I can't root for them to lose.

No need to root for them to lose. Watch and enjoy when it's good and just don't get mad when they're playing bad and losing. Then you just reason that the loss will lead to better players. 

Reply/Quote