Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Did AJ Green say "just trade me"?
(10-13-2020, 07:59 PM)QueenCity Wrote: We need to have fire sale many have wanted for years.... too bad Mike Brown doesn't see the benefit of accumulating draft picks.  He'd much rather watch his vets half-a** for 75% of the season. Gotta honor that contract right Mike?

Well, if AJ expressed a desire to be traded then it extra ain't happening. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 03:49 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: AJ also can't do anything if he isn't getting targets and the 1 he does get is 8 yds over his head into 3 guys

He would get more targets if he would get open.

He is playing over 50 snaps a game and i am sure Burrow is looking for him every play.

And it is hard to blame Burrow for Green's 41.2 catch percentage when the other WRs are doing this.  .  . .

Mike Thomas.....90.9%
Tyler Boyd........80.0%
Auden Tate.......66.7%
Tee Higgens......53.3%
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 06:02 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: That's fair. but at the same time why play at 80 percent when your on a 1 year deal. If a team was competing for a playoff spot it would be  understandable. Especially with Finley in he was straight trash.

WhoDey2 Because maybe your 80% is what some team with a good #1 WR needs to make a good run into the playoffs.

Sitting on the bench isn't showcasing anything but how well you get hurt...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 08:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He would get more targets if he would get open.

He is playing over 50 snaps a game and i am sure Burrow is looking for him every play.

And it is hard to blame Burrow for Green's 41.2 catch percentage when the other WRs are doing this.  .  . .

Mike Thomas.....90.9%
Tyler Boyd........80.0%
Auden Tate.......66.7%
Tee Higgens......53.3%

Hard to dispute those numbers.  Anyone thinking AJ is not playing well because of Burrow is delusional.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Andy's downfall was he never cut the umbilical with AJ. Burrow spreading the ball around will be his rise.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 11:57 AM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: You just want to bash AJ because it helps your narrative with Burrow. Hope AJ doesn't play Sunday so we can see how great the offense will look without him in their.

After the way he threw his arms in the air, threw his head back, and walked promptly off the field (past everyone to the bench), I am prepared to deal with his negativity and see exactly that.  Does Ross have issues?  Yes.  Can they be worked out?  We won't know if we never try.  Green's issues is he is over the hill and doesn't seem interested in playing football at all.  

I hope Tate, Higgins, and Boyd are the starters with Ross coming in at X for some snaps.  
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 12:30 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Did you watch a single down of Burrow from LSU? Do you think he just suddenly forgot how to throw a deep ball? Were his 60 TD’s and 5600 yds a bunch of dinking and dunking?

Or maybe, just maybe, has our OL been so bad he can’t complete anything down the field? And is it really not possible both AJ and Ross (who are supposed to be our deep threats) just suck? Burrow has missed a few. But to suggest they’ve all been poorly thrown is beyond ridiculous. A couple of them hit Tee Higgins in the hands ffs.

You’re straight up trolling at this point.

I can't understand why Ross is sitting.  He was open at least on some passes that barely missed and he looked stupid on one crossing route where he wasn't looking for the ball and it hit him in the hip.  It literally feels like sabotage.  Ross doesn't even have to get a ton of targets to change the way the defense lines up.  Having safeties back deep helps the rushing attack.  He should be in there.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 11:03 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Andy's downfall was he never cut the umbilical with AJ.  Burrow spreading the ball around will be his rise.

AJ was a franchise savior during Daltons run here, making him a priority was a no brainer move. 

But that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone, as Chad and Jeremy once sang.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 01:44 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Man, y'all highjacked the shit out of this thread.

At this point I think AJ will play out his contact and push on. He should be frustrated. Zac Taylor has no idea how to use him, but that's for a different thread.

I have lots of issues with Taylor's play-calling from the Ratbird game, but I loved what he did against Jax...It wasn't just that it worked, but the fact that it showed misdirection, creativity, running the ball and not giving up on the run after one two yard gain.  

As far as AJ goes, I don't know what Taylor could do for him other than give him snaps in the slot (which Marv did 30% of the time two years ago) but that only takes snaps from Boyd.  AJ isn't being double-teamed so his "presence" isn't helping the rest of the team.  He gets zero separation and he looked uninterested in being out there.  Even the first game of the season, you could see by the Game Pass numbers that he wasn't reaching 19 MPH on targeted routes, when he used to nearly hit 21 MPH.  I just don't know how to make him useful again.  I fear his time is gone.  

If he had shown ONE route at 20 MPH, or great elusiveness in his routes, I would be all over the mental side or "find a way" to use him properly, but I think he is just done.  

It reminds me a bit of when we had Ki-Jana Carter off the surgery and a hungry Corey Dillon.  You had to play Dillon over the slow Carter.  He was just better, even though Carter was a #1 overall pick.  AJ's history doesn't help us today.  It is time to move on and go young.  
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 08:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: He would get more targets if he would get open.

Mike Thomas.....90.9%
Tyler Boyd........80.0%
Auden Tate.......66.7%
Tee Higgens......53.3%

One other thing that I don't have the numbers to back up (although I am sure you could find it), but a VERY high % of Dalton's INTs were on balls intended for Green.  Burrow doesn't want INTs at all.  He has made ONE really bad throw (the floater in this Balt game) and the other two were simply outstanding plays by a defender.  And this, despite being behind in almost every game and the opponent being geared to stop the pass. 

If Green isn't getting separation, Burrow isn't going to force it to him.  He has put a few PERFECT balls on Green this year that were either batted away, dropped, or Green couldn't adjust to.  Burrow only has so many snaps to get 10 yards and he isn't going to waste downs.  Sorry, AJ, but this is on you more than anyone else.  
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 11:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I have lots of issues with Taylor's play-calling from the Ratbird game, but I loved what he did against Jax...It wasn't just that it worked, but the fact that it showed misdirection, creativity, running the ball and not giving up on the run after one two yard gain.  

As far as AJ goes, I don't know what Taylor could do for him other than give him snaps in the slot (which Marv did 30% of the time two years ago) but that only takes snaps from Boyd.  AJ isn't being double-teamed so his "presence" isn't helping the rest of the team.  He gets zero separation and he looked uninterested in being out there.  Even the first game of the season, you could see by the Game Pass numbers that he wasn't reaching 19 MPH on targeted routes, when he used to nearly hit 21 MPH.  I just don't know how to make him useful again.  I fear his time is gone.  

If he had shown ONE route at 20 MPH, or great elusiveness in his routes, I would be all over the mental side or "find a way" to use him properly, but I think he is just done.  

It reminds me a bit of when we had Ki-Jana Carter off the surgery and a hungry Corey Dillon.  You had to play Dillon over the slow Carter.  He was just better, even though Carter was a #1 overall pick.  AJ's history doesn't help us today.  It is time to move on and go young.  

We're only five games in. I'm not disagreeing with you about AJ being rusty. He looks rusty. I think most of it is mental at this point. There is no light here. AJ is looking at Whit and he's probably like,"I'm done with this shit show".

Plz don't bring up a Jax win like it was some great victory. We barely beat possibly the worst team n the league.

It starts with a screen pass. First play from scrimmage, next game. Instead of handing it to Mixon, give it to AJ. Early and often. 
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 11:52 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It reminds me a bit of when we had Ki-Jana Carter off the surgery and a hungry Corey Dillon.  You had to play Dillon over the slow Carter.  He was just better, even though Carter was a #1 overall pick.  AJ's history doesn't help us today.  It is time to move on and go young.  

Then Dillon ended up dogging it his last season here.  He has admitted that he was more healthy than he let on.

Luckily we had a hungry Rudi ready to take over.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 11:58 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: One other thing that I don't have the numbers to back up (although I am sure you could find it), but a VERY high % of Dalton's INTs were on balls intended for Green.  Burrow doesn't want INTs at all.  He has made ONE really bad throw (the floater in this Balt game) and the other two were simply outstanding plays by a defender.  And this, despite being behind in almost every game and the opponent being geared to stop the pass. 

If Green isn't getting separation, Burrow isn't going to force it to him.  He has put a few PERFECT balls on Green this year that were either batted away, dropped, or Green couldn't adjust to.  Burrow only has so many snaps to get 10 yards and he isn't going to waste downs.  Sorry, AJ, but this is on you more than anyone else.  

The interception to Ingram in week 1 was as boneheaded as they come. He all but handed him the ball.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 12:44 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: We're only five games in. I'm not disagreeing with you about AJ being rusty. He looks rusty. I think most of it is mental at this point. There is no light here. AJ is looking at Whit and he's probably like,"I'm done with this shit show".

Plz don't bring up a Jax win like it was some great victory. We barely beat possibly the worst team n the league.

It starts with a screen pass. First play from scrimmage, next game. Instead of handing it to Mixon, give it to AJ. Early and often. 

Wrong, they were up two scores with a minute left and they had two TDs that should have counted that didn't.  If you think that game was close, you didn't watch.  The Bengals punted ONCE.  He called a great offensive game.  
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then Dillon ended up dogging it his last season here.  He has admitted that he was more healthy than he let on.

Exactly.  Was that the Bengals fault, or Dillon's?  Right now, I would rather see Ross trying to take the top off the defense than Green loafing and barely hitting 15 MPH on a crucial third down.  
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 01:01 PM)jason Wrote: The interception to Ingram in week 1 was as boneheaded as they come. He all but handed him the ball.

If Ingram doesn't make a very athletic play (partially because he was blocked in to it), Gio might have gone a very long way with that dump off.  But criticize away.  He still was in position to win the game, and really should have been given the W if not for BS officiating. 
Reply/Quote
You all understand when a play is called. AJ may be the number 3 or number 4 target on a particular play, With the time Burrow is being given by lackluster Oline play by the time Burrow sees AJ as being open he is hurried and rushed or even sacked. I wish I could watch all 22 tape to focus only on AJ to see what is really going on. Ross and Green are not Taylor guys but apparently Tate , Thomas , and Higgins are. even before he was benched. He was being subbed out in the Raven game
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 11:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I can't understand why Ross is sitting.  He was open at least on some passes that barely missed and he looked stupid on one crossing route where he wasn't looking for the ball and it hit him in the hip.  It literally feels like sabotage.  Ross doesn't even have to get a ton of targets to change the way the defense lines up.  Having safeties back deep helps the rushing attack.  He should be in there.

One would have to believe that both Marvin, who was on the hot seat, and Taylor, who is also on the hot seat, are willing to throw away their careers with some grudge against Ross, to be sitting him just to sabotage him. Or, it could be that Ross just sucks. We all get that he's fast, but he can't be counted on to catch the ball.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 12:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Then Dillon ended up dogging it his last season here.  He has admitted that he was more healthy than he let on.

Who, Green? Someone else mentioned Green said he wasn't hurt. I haven't seen that, where was it?
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 01:53 PM)Sled21 Wrote: One would have to believe that both Marvin, who was on the hot seat, and Taylor, who is also on the hot seat, are willing to throw away their careers with some grudge against Ross, to be sitting him just to sabotage him. Or, it could be that Ross just sucks. We all get that he's fast, but he can't be counted on to catch the ball.

When has Zac Taylor proved to you he can effectively evaluate talent? Name 1 offensive skill player we have that is better because of Taylor's coaching. Marvin was defensive coach and all our O coordinators were underwhelming since Ross has been drafted.  Some coach may make Taylor look stupid after this season. As a matter of fact besides for Boyd every skill position player we have has regressed
Reply/Quote