Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dj reader on playing Sunday
Reader doesn't know if he's gonna play.. Kinda knew some of this was coming. Not good..
https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonATH/status/1610774265300647939?t=sFRryYCxIaUPkpJN6ILIzw&s=19
Reply/Quote
Been telling you guys, the idea that we should just continue the Bills game the same week (even the same day according to some!)... the Bills should forfeit as they can't play.... was incredibly assumptive that the Bengals were ready. From what Burrow said, and this, seems the Bengals are far less ready than some guys here are ready to sign them up for.

I hope this hasn't taken a toll on too many guys, but I do think we need to be prepared for the idea that Sunday's game will be difficult.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:22 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Been telling you guys, the idea that we should just continue the Bills game the same week (even the same day according to some!)... the Bills should forfeit as they can't play.... was incredibly assumptive that the Bengals were ready. From what Burrow said, and this, seems the Bengals are far less ready than some guys here are ready to sign them up for.

I hope this hasn't taken a toll on too many guys, but I do think we need to be prepared for the idea that Sunday's game will be difficult.

I gathered that from Burrow as well. Right now, these guys are all about Hamlin's well being, and recovering from what they went through. Not getting the vibe that they want to play. 
Reply/Quote
I can say this:

They're not Soldiers

They don't go to war
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think that generally folks WILL play, but they might not WANT to play. Hard to say what impact that’ll have on performance, but it’s a strong team with good leadership.
Reply/Quote
I think the best way to put it to the players on both teams is this: "What would Damar Hamlin want?"
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:26 PM)bengaloo Wrote: I gathered that from Burrow as well. Right now, these guys are all about Hamlin's well being, and recovering from what they went through. Not getting the vibe that they want to play. 

It could change by the the weekend to be fair. At this stage, it's still fresh and the team won't have been together in a 'football' sense much. They only had their first practice today, maybe with some more normality they'll be better for Sunday.

But this is why I loathed the idea of 'lets just crack on... the show must go on... these guys need to man up and tough it out'. The idea has been that the Bills couldn't continue and weren't ready. Didn't seem like a lot of people stopped to think whether OUR guys were ready, when we were keen to sign them up for a game tonight or yesterday. 

It's also why I dislike the bashing the NFL is getting. Im no protectorate of Goddell or the NFL, but they've clearly backed the teams on this, and to my mind the decision not to play this week was clearly one the team's led on rather than the NFL. Yes there needs to be more direction from them, but I said all along that the decision not to replay this game quickly, was down to the Bengals and the Bills.

Still... like I said firstly, it's still early in game week, things can change by Sunday. Guys might come more round to playing, we may get good news on Hamlin. We'll hope for the best.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:27 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: I think that generally folks WILL play, but they might not WANT to play. Hard to say what impact that’ll have on performance, but it’s a strong team with good leadership.

It's still 3.5 days til the game Sunday.  As days go by it will get easier and if there is good news by then, that could really help with the emotional turmoil some are dealing with.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:16 PM)Tony Wrote: Reader doesn't know if he's gonna play.. Kinda knew some of this was coming. Not good..
https://twitter.com/JayMorrisonATH/status/1610774265300647939?t=sFRryYCxIaUPkpJN6ILIzw&s=19

Well, Baltimore is itching to play.  

"We'd be excited to be playing for the division crown," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "That's something that we're hopeful for."

Ravens defensive end Calais Campbell: "If we have a chance to play for a division championship, that's huge. It would be nice to go out there and compete for it. But having information would be nice."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35380323/ravens-ready-unique-bengals-showdown-amid-uncertain-stakes

The Ravens just want the NFL to tell them whether the game is important or not.

As for the Bengals, some players may figure the Bengals-Bills game may not be played and thus the game lacks much value, so they don't have their heart in it. The NFL leadership is doing the players no favors.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:32 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I think the best way to put it to the players on both teams is this:  "What would Damar Hamlin want?"

Personally I wouldnt want the world stopping for me. Honestly I think id want my ppl to just play the game and get me off their minds

But then again thats impossible.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:35 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: It could change by the the weekend to be fair. At this stage, it's still fresh and the team won't have been together in a 'football' sense much. They only had their first practice today, maybe with some more normality they'll be better for Sunday.

But this is why I loathed the idea of 'lets just crack on... the show must go on... these guys need to man up and tough it out'. The idea has been that the Bills couldn't continue and weren't ready. Didn't seem like a lot of people stopped to think whether OUR guys were ready, when we were keen to sign them up for a game tonight or yesterday. 

It's also why I dislike the bashing the NFL is getting. Im no protectorate of Goddell or the NFL, but they've clearly backed the teams on this, and to my mind the decision not to play this week was clearly one the team's led on rather than the NFL. Yes there needs to be more direction from them, but I said all along that the decision not to replay this game quickly, was down to the Bengals and the Bills.

Still... like I said firstly, it's still early in game week, things can change by Sunday. Guys might come more round to playing, we may get good news on Hamlin. We'll hope for the best.

Practicing should help a lot. Some of them are already ready to go, but there will be some that have to deal with whatever they have to deal with. Everyone deals with things differently. Hopefully we play the Ravens and beat the crap out of them. That would be the best thing to do, imo, but some of the players wont be feeling it I'm sure. Tee is the one I worry might need a bit more time, but then again he might not. 
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I can say this:

They're not Soldiers

They don't go to war

Soldier is definitely a more dangerous career.  I'd say police and firefighter as well. 
Reply/Quote
This is gonna be an asterisk season for the AFC... No way they can make this fair anyway they do it... I'm thinking this is really gonna destroy the roll we had going too. The press conference was so somber and different. No energy. Basically just saying we gotta do what we gotta do...
Reply/Quote
If players don't want to play, let them go on some kind of bereavement list until they are ready and bring up replacement players from the practice squad. The league can relax rules and let teams bring up more than the usual players from the practice squad.

But what the NFL should not do is allow teams to just forfeit, as that can have implications for other teams. If the Bills, for example, forfeit, to New England, that would impact two teams on the bubble. They can certainly find enough players who emotionally can go and play the game.

Not all teams are having the same experience and so they shouldn't be penalized if other teams are not emotionally prepared to have a full squad. I don't like to quote Harbaugh, but his view is: "We'd be excited to be playing for the division crown. That's something that we're hopeful for. That's really beyond us. Our job is to go win the game."
Reply/Quote
It happened less than 48 hours ago. People are still processing. I know Burrow wants to play, and I feel that if this game is meaningful the leaders of this team will rally the team. Everyone showed up to practice so that’s a good sign.
Reply/Quote
Sorry, but that's soft. Go ahead and flame me for saying it, but it is. Hamlin is not dead. They are acting like the funeral is tomorrow.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:26 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I can say this:

They're not Soldiers

They don't go to war

Nope. I feel safe being a soldier in peace time is more dangerous life and death wise.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Based on what I am hearing about the press conference and DJ’s comments that this team is packing it in for at least the Ravens. How will it carry over to the play offs. You just can’t turn on a switch and the drive comes back. Ravens going come in a bash this team in the mouth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:57 PM)Nepa Wrote: If players don't want to play, let them go on some kind of bereavement list until they are ready and bring up replacement players from the practice squad. The league can relax rules and let teams bring up more than the usual players from the practice squad.

But what the NFL should not do is allow teams to just forfeit, as that can have implications for other teams. If the Bills, for example, forfeit, to New England, that would impact two teams on the bubble. They can certainly find enough players who emotionally can go and play the game.

Not all teams are having the same experience and so they shouldn't be penalized if other teams are not emotionally prepared to have a full squad. I don't like to quote Harbaugh, but his view is: "We'd be excited to be playing for the division crown. That's something that we're hopeful for. That's really beyond us. Our job is to go win the game."

These are all good points.  But bereavement is intended for close relatives.  I took bereavement at work for my father, then my mother.  I could not take bereavement for someone outside my direct family.  I get that's it's not easy but workplaces draw a line.
Reply/Quote
(01-04-2023, 09:32 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: I think the best way to put it to the players on both teams is this: "What would Damar Hamlin want?"

The vast majority of people would be mortified if everything changed because of them. When he wakes up, if it’s to an NFL that has rearranged itself and changed their schedule, and players aren’t playing, I would think he would feel responsible. I’m serious when I say don’t put that in this young man.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote