Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you feel we "settled" for Price?
Many ppl seem to feel like we had to settle for Price since Ragnow got picked ahead of us. And many hold Lapham in such high regard that they are sure Ragnow was our pre-ordained pick. But let me pose a hypothetical:

If Ragnow and Price were both still available when we picked at 21, and we took Price, would you still have the same reservations?

In other words, how do we know they didnt favor Price all along anyway? Maybe they indeed got who they really wanted.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 05:26 PM)Beaker Wrote: Many ppl seem to feel like we had to settle for Price since Ragnow got picked ahead of us. And many hold Lapham in such high regard that they are sure Ragnow was our pre-ordained pick. But let me pose a hypothetical:

If Ragnow and Price were both still available when we picked at 21, and we took  Price, would you still have the same reservations?

In other words, how do we know they didnt favor Price all along anyway? Maybe they indeed got who they really wanted.

well there are no Preordained picks unless you got the 1st overall lol. 

Maybe the let lap tell everyone we wanted Ragnow to make sure price was still there.

You can never know.

Price sounds like who they wanted all along. But they would come out and Say well that other guy was gone so we took him...  *giggle*

Price seems like he impressed them the most...  I think some of us jumped to wanting Ragnow just because he was a late riser in the draft process with price having injury we expected him to possibly fall to 2.

But then the doctor cleared price like 1 day ahead of the draft...   

But I will say NO... (as we got Price and Glenn) which trumps Ragnow anyday.

Video had them talking to price before Detriots pick was in.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 05:26 PM)Beaker Wrote: Many ppl seem to feel like we had to settle for Price since Ragnow got picked ahead of us. And many hold Lapham in such high regard that they are sure Ragnow was our pre-ordained pick. But let me pose a hypothetical:

If Ragnow and Price were both still available when we picked at 21, and we took Price, would you still have the same reservations?

We will never know who was really atop their board but if we “settled” I’d say We found ourselves one heck of a settlement.

Reply/Quote
You got that right. Hopefully we can settle for another player tonight of that caliber.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

If Ragnow and Price were both still available when we picked at 21, and we took  Price, would you still have the same reservations?

I am sure that anyone that knew about Lapham's prediction of Ragnow had the feeling that Detroit took our guy right out from under us.

Add to that announcers saying Ragnow was possibly the best Center. (as I remember)

Add to that Price's injury and an announcer or two calling it a bit of a reach due to the injury. (on ESPN)

Many had gotten themselves excited expecting a Ragnow pick only to get the Detroit surprise.

That uncertainty of did we get nailed by Detroit or not let some air out of the Price balloon.

Did the Bengals "settle" for Price or was he always their guy.

If both were on the board at the Bengals pick then we would know Price was their guy if picked.

Lap's input had a big influence on how many people felt, I believe.

Uncertain and not sure whether to be happy or somewhat happy we ended up with Price.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 05:41 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: You got that right. Hopefully we can settle for another player tonight of that caliber.

I hope we settle for 11 great players in this draft.

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 05:41 PM)depthchart Wrote: Lap's input had a big influence on how many people felt, I believe.

My point. Price is a hell of a player. He may have been the target all along.
Reply/Quote
I think history has shown the Bengals prefer to stick with Ohio players. Price makes sense. I think he was the pick all along. Not Ragnow.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 05:44 PM)Beaker Wrote: My point. Price is a hell of a player. He may have been the target all along.

I mean, they may have said the same thing about Ragnow, but the comments from Lewis, labor and pollack make it seem like they knew they wanted billy price for quite sometime now. So yeah, they just might have gotten the exact guy they wanted. Shoot, as accurate as his predictions have been, they may have told lap to say ragnow as a smokescreen.

Reply/Quote

Right now I applaud the pick... Good value for the spot... I would RATHER have had Rag... NP... Remington winner... NOT a BAD 2nd choice...
I hope he pans out.... 
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 05:41 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: You got that right. Hopefully we can settle for another player tonight of that caliber.

You got that right!!  Wink
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 05:52 PM)jwayne Wrote: Right now I applaud the pick... Good value for the spot... I would RATHER have had Rag... NP... Remington winner... NOT a BAD 2nd choice...
I hope he pans out.... 
You do know Billy "Badass" Price was this year's Rimington winner?
Reply/Quote

2nd team All American 2016.  Unanimous All American 2017.  Rimington Award to best Center in College Football in 2017.  First Round NFL Draft Choice. 

No, I don't think we settled.  I saw Price, Ragnow, Daniels as a group we needed at least one from since we have no Center with Bodine gone.   We got a Center from this group.  

Only time will tell which one becomes the better Center in NFL.  We got a good one and that is all I care about.  Now NFL Center takes time to learn and he won't learn everything in Training Camp or Preseason. He will go through Rookie learning period.  Still, I think he has the raw potential at Center that Munoz and Montoya had at their positions of Tackle and Guard as Rookies.  I think over time we will see this as a huge upgrade from Cook and Bodine.  Could end up best Center for Bengals ever, but we won't know that for a few years. I think somebody could be better than Bob Johnson some day, this might be the guy.

You are correct that we will never know if Ragnow not taken pick before us, who they would have picked. It the long tun it doesn't matter. Only thing that matters now is Price is our Center and that is probably an upgrade from Bodine who was no Rimington Award Winner or runner up coming to Bengals.

I always hope someday Bengals will have a Jim Otto, # 00 from Raiders. I'm hoping Price is anchor at Center and Pro Bowl Awards for Bengals over next 10 years or more. Then nobody is ever going to question this pick.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 05:41 PM)masonbengals fan Wrote: You got that right. Hopefully we can settle for another player tonight of that caliber.

Yeah, i would settle for someone like Price anytime.

Just watched the vid, as Xeno said, sure looked like Marv had Price on the phone at the same time the
Lions pick was going in. I guess they did want Price all along.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 06:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just watched the vid, as Xeno said, sure looked like Marv had Price on the phone at the same time the
Lions pick was going in. I guess they did want Price all along.

Can you post the link to that video here?
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 05:44 PM)Beaker Wrote: My point. Price is a hell of a player. He may have been the target all along.

I wouldn't doubt it at all.

Perhaps they had Price and Ragnow pretty even and which ever one made it to 21 they were taking ?

Would have been interesting to see who they took if both were still there ?
Reply/Quote
Of course they settled...Anyone other than Saquan Barkley or Bradley Chubb is settling lol.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
I was very apprehensive when Ragnow shot up draft boards to go from a 2nd or 3rd round pick to a top 20 pick in mock drafts.

I warmed up to it over time as many analysts, including Lapham, started projecting him in the first round as well.

When the Lions drafted him right in front of us, I was admittedly a little disappointed, because in my mind Ragnow was already a Bengal.

But then I thought back to what I thought before the combine. Before Price injured himself and before Ragnow had a good pro day (which is just not all that important, in my opinion), my ranking was 1. Price, 2. Daniels 3. Ragnow.

Back then I was all aboard the Price train and Daniels was an acceptable alternative.

What happened since then? Price had a minor injury that he'll be recovered from before TC starts.

Looking back, I think Price was the higher regarded player all along, with Ragnow shooting up after good work outs (which Price was unable to compare to because of his injury).

I think we got the right player.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2018, 06:07 PM)Beaker Wrote: Can you post the link to that video here?

Sorry Beaker i was watching it on my phone, maybe someone that is more computer savvy can?

It is on bengals.com
Reply/Quote

I don't know who we would have picked if both were available, but after reading the Price interviews and hearing he wanted to stay in Ohio and play for the Bengals even before being chosen,  I am all in with Price.
Reply/Quote