Poll: Do you want ZT back if his leaving makes JB want to leave as well?
This poll is closed.
Yes
24.24%
16 24.24%
No
75.76%
50 75.76%
Total 66 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Do you want Zac Taylor back for year 3 if his leaving leaves JB unhappy?
Companion poll to Wes' "Do you want ZT back for year 3" poll, with the addition of "If Taylor leaves and the new coach makes JB unhappy and he then wants out of here?"
Reply/Quote
Burrow can put on his big boy pants and deal.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 09:57 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: Burrow can put on his big boy pants and deal.

Or he can pull a Palmer
Reply/Quote
Nobody even really knows if Burrow likes Taylor's coaching style or confidence in him as a head coach. Of course he's going to say good things about him. Joe is a team player and a rookie to top it off. What he says is what "he's supposed to say"

Lions canned their coach this week and Jags dumped their GM, I still don't believe for a second Brown will fire Zac, best thing we can hope for is Turner and Lou being fired this offseason but I don't even know if that will happen.

It's as if you have predictable NFL team decisions....and there's the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 10:00 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Or he can pull a Palmer

I must have missed the part where Palmer wanted out because we fired a HC who had the worst winning percentage in 100 years. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
You know what would make him happy? Winning. Plus it would be a mistake to keep someone just because the QB likes him. There's 52 other guys he has to manage and get to play as a team
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Too early. I misread. I hit yes, but meant no. I thought I was saying "yes I don't want him back even if it makes Burrow unhappy".

It doesn't matter if it makes Burrow happy or not if the entire team and coaching staff is a shitshow.

There's also a roughly 0% chance that the Bengals will be able to lure in a good OL Coach, DC, and top-tier FA OL if Taylor is still here at 4-27-1.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 10:05 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I must have missed the part where Palmer wanted out because we fired a HC who had the worst winning percentage in 100 years. 

Doesn't have to be for the same reason to have the same action. Burrow has come out multiple times in strong support for Taylor, and no matter how much he says posters will disregard it and project their own emotions onto him, and say "he's just saying that, he doesn't really believe it" I, for one, have seen enough of JB that I don't believe he is the "say the right thing" type of person, rather he tells it like he sees it. If they fire Taylor and hire someone JB doesn't bond with, he could very easily say he wants to play elsewhere. If we force his contract, that means we get him for 3 more years. I'd rather keep him happy and keep him here for the next 10....
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 10:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Doesn't have to be for the same reason to have the same action. Burrow has come out multiple times in strong support for Taylor, and no matter how much he says posters will disregard it and project their own emotions onto him, and say "he's just saying that, he doesn't really believe it" I, for one, have seen enough of JB that I don't believe he is the "say the right thing" type of person, rather he tells it like he sees it. If they fire Taylor and hire someone JB doesn't bond with, he could very easily say he wants to play elsewhere. If we force his contract, that means we get him for 3 more years. I'd rather keep him happy and keep him here for the next 10....

I'm going to make a hot take here and say... if Burrow is willing to demand a trade because they got rid of a 4-27-1 head coach, then Burrow will never be the guy to take a team to a SB. 

It's one thing to give your HC support when asked because you don't want to throw him under the bus. If it's legitimately to the point where you'd rather be traded than play under someone other than a 4-27-1 HC, then winning is clearly not the most important thing for you and I don't want any QB who doesn't want to win.

Who cares if he's here for 10 years if it means winning 20 games over those 10 years? Not that I think your take is right.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 10:11 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Doesn't have to be for the same reason to have the same action. Burrow has come out multiple times in strong support for Taylor, and no matter how much he says posters will disregard it and project their own emotions onto him, and say "he's just saying that, he doesn't really believe it" I, for one, have seen enough of JB that I don't believe he is the "say the right thing" type of person, rather he tells it like he sees it. If they fire Taylor and hire someone JB doesn't bond with, he could very easily say he wants to play elsewhere. If we force his contract, that means we get him for 3 more years. I'd rather keep him happy and keep him here for the next 10....

Again, he also said he wants to win. He's said that over and over. If Taylor cannot do that, what does that mean past his rookie deal? Will he take "playing for a coach he really likes" or wanting to win? 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
If we hired Joe Brady Burrow would be happy I think. Yes, it’s another young coach with no head coaching experience. But he is an offensive coordinator atleast, something Zac wasn’t. I do hope if we replace Taylor we go with an offensive guy like Brady or Bieniemy.

Edit: and FWIW, this is probably a moot point because the FO seems happy with Taylor and will probably give him 3 years.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 10:21 AM)tBengal Wrote: If we hired Joe Brady Burrow would be happy I think. Yes, it’s another young coach with no head coaching experience. But he is an offensive coordinator atleast, something Zac wasn’t. I do hope if we replace Taylor we go with an offensive guy like Brady or Bieniemy.

Yep, I think Burrow would be thrilled with Brady. And there are plenty of coaches he would probably gel with. But, the question is about firing ZT then hiring a coach JB doesn't like and can't get along with. Given that situation, would you still want to get rid of Taylor? This is all hypothetical.
Reply/Quote
I can't even wrap my head around this question...I wonder if on the Jets message board there are people wondering if Trevor Lawrence will refuse to play for the Jets if they dare fire Adam Gase.

I'll also say the takes on Burrow are really starting to hit the extremes...which is your favorite?

1.  Joe Burrow is such a leader and winner that he will convince Mike Brown to drastically alter our losing culture and start a dynasty

OR

2.  Joe Burrow will demand a trade if we keep a HC who wins 2 games per year?

(12-01-2020, 10:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, I think Burrow would be thrilled with Brady. And there are plenty of coaches he would probably gel with. But, the question is about firing ZT then hiring a coach JB doesn't like and can't get along with. Given that situation, would you still want to get rid of Taylor? This is all hypothetical.

If MB and crew run this franchise in a manner which leads to Burrow wanting out I'd hardly be surprised, I just don't think ZT is quite as essential to keeping Burrow happy as you do.  THat's all.
Reply/Quote
What a loaded question. Not only does it leave Burrow unhappy, but it also makes him want to leave. Give me a break.

So, even given our history and a lot of people saying he shouldn't want to come here, Joe Burrow says he wants to be here.

Even after a terrible season, and that we're going to be staring at a top 5 pick, Burrow still wants to be here (if Taylor is here).

Even after a playing behind a terrible OL, and a front office that did virtually nothing to improve it, Burrow still wants to be here (If Taylor is here).

But if Zac Taylor is gone then that's it for Burrow. That's just too much. He wants out after only season, even though he has zero leveage?????

Is this a serious thread? This is the straw that breaks the camel's back?

I swear, some of you seem so naive at times. You take typical player speak and fluff and run with it. Just because Joe Burrow, a rookie, says he likes his head coach doesn't mean he's opposed to playing for another. Hell, it doesn't even mean he actually has faith in his Taylor. He's a rookie, who is giving a typical response when asked about his coach.

What do you want a rookie QB to actually say? "Nah, I hate that dude. He's an awful coach. We need a new one."

He's on a brand new team, with a brand new coach, with all of 3 months in the league. Not to mention he's a captain, who has known nothing but being a locker room leader. Of course he's going to publicly answer questions in a complimentary way.

I'm sure Joe would be just fine with a new coach. In fact, he'd probably be estatic. And you know what? If he's not then who cares? Rookies, and I don't care who they are, don't get to choose their own coaching staff. 22 year old's with super limited experiece, don't make good GM's. And if they think they know better than a Front Office then they're not a player you want on your team to begin with.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 10:23 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, I think Burrow would be thrilled with Brady. And there are plenty of coaches he would probably gel with. But, the question is about firing ZT then hiring a coach JB doesn't like and can't get along with. Given that situation, would you still want to get rid of Taylor? This is all hypothetical.

This conversation reminds me of the Aaron Rodgers - Matt LaFleur relationship. Rodgers originally clashed with LaFleur, but eventually things worked out. Rodgers publicly talked this past Summer about how their relationship has improved from when he first came in to the start of this past season.

What has been a huge factor in that? Winning!

LaFleur turned a 6-9-1 GB team into a 13-3 team last year, and they are 8-3 so far this year.

So while Burrow may butt heads with a new HC at first, things likely would turn around if the team starts winning.

As for Joe Brady, that would be interesting. If he was HC, would he call the offensive plays too?
Even if he did, he hasn't exactly been an elite offensive playcaller this year for the Panthers.
They are 21st in Points For and 19th in Yards.
He's only had McCaffrey for 3 games though, which has been a huge part of that offense in the past, so it's kind of hard to tell how much better they'd be.
Bridgewater has been solid (96.3 QB rating) and they have two guys with 900+ yards (Moore, Anderson) and a third with 500+ yards (Samuel).

Much like Taylor's offense, the TE is not featured in Joe Brady's offense. Ian Thomas only has 97 yards on the year. They run 3-WR sets a majority of the time and also throw to the RB (69 rec between McCaffrey and Davis).
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Also, how long would we have to keep ZT to placate Burrow? We want Burrow to be our QB until 2040 so....
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 10:23 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I can't even wrap my head around this question...I wonder if on the Jets message board there are people wondering if Trevor Lawrence will refuse to play for the Jets if they dare fire Adam Gase.

I'll also say the takes on Burrow are really starting to hit the extremes...which is your favorite?

1.  Joe Burrow is such a leader and winner that he will convince Mike Brown to drastically alter our losing culture and start a dynasty

OR

2.  Joe Burrow will demand a trade if we keep a HC who wins 2 games per year?

If MB and crew run this franchise in a manner which leads to Burrow wanting out I'd hardly be surprised, I just don't think ZT is quite as essential to keeping Burrow happy as you do.  THat's all.

I'd like to hear the compete context of each and every quote Joe Burrow has provided that has lead people to believe he would be upset if Taylor left.

I'm pretty sure theyr'e your run of the mill, rookie responses given in press conferences.  Sure, he's going to say he likes working with his new coach.  A rookie, a QB, a captain, do any of them ever come out in a non-postive way when probed about their coach?

Reminds of this:

Bengals Team Reporter - "Hey, Joe (player who has never played in the league yet), how would you feel about throwing balls to AJ Green (multiple time Pro-Bowler, high level name vet)

Joe Burrow - "I'd love it."

Jungle Noise - "OMG Joe Burrow just says he wants to sign AJ Green!!!!  We have to get AJ back because Joe just said he wants him here!!!!"

It's like a good portion of this board doesn't understand how most of questions and replies go, and they've never watched a press conference or read an interview.

That's how we ended up with the idea that Carson Palmer was calling for Terrell Owens all offseason, and was given exactly who he wanted.  Even though they asked him in late July what he thought about TO (after he was already rumored to sign) and he said something like "Yeah, go get that guy".

Like that was Palmers first choice all along, that's all he wanted that offseason.  He was given all he wanted, because he gave a PC answer when asked about a desperate need late in the offseason, when all other options were exhausted.
Reply/Quote
I do not want him back. Burrow would get over it.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2020, 11:05 AM)Big Boss Wrote: I do not want him back. Burrow would get over it.

That’s why I voted yes. I think Burrow would be fine.

Edit: nevermind, I misread the question. I should’ve voted no.
Reply/Quote
What in the world would make anyone believe Joe Burrow would be upset if we got rid of the losingest coach in the history of the league?  What? Do ya think Joe sits up sobbing into his pillow at night crying, "I don't wanna win! I don't wanna win! I want both of my knees crushed and probably my spine as well!""? 
See? This is why Mike Brown will be honored with a solid gold 70 foot tall statue of his own likeness on Fountain Square...He has a secret mind sucking machine in Cincinnati..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote