Does 10-7 Get Us In?
5 Games left
4 games could be our backup QB vs a backup QB

Week 14 Colts Minshew
Week 15 Vikings Dobbs
Week 16 Steelers Trubisky
Week 17 Chiefs Kermit (the frog)
Week 18 Browns Flacco

Wow, we might be able to sneak in there.
Reply/Quote
Yes.
Reply/Quote
Why not? I hope the Browns and Steelers finally fear us this season, with a backup at the helm.
Reply/Quote
We potentially are playing 4 backups in our next 5 game, 3 of those, at home. There is no reason we can’t win those. That gets us to 10-7 without having to pull an upset in Arrowhead.
Reply/Quote
I think 10-7 would get it done. I don’t see colts, Steelers and browns continuing to win, I just don’t have faith in their QBs. I could be pot calling kettle black here with our own backup QB, but for the sake of the conversation, I think 4-1 is the way in.

Just take care of business against the colts without JT. If bengals stop the run next week they will win. We will get a better idea of playoff picture after bengals/colts, Steelers/pats, browns/jags, broncos/chargers, chiefs/bills.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Very realistic, if Browning can be consistent and the run game stays on track. I like the look with Brown and Mixon. A nice speed/power combo.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Imagine this.

If, next week.

Pats beat Steelers (trubisky)
Bengals beat colts
Jags beat browns
Jets beat Texans
Chargers beat broncos
Chiefs beat bills

Bengals are the 7 seed.

Steelers and colts also play in 2 weeks. So one of them will get an L.

Then we get the Steelers the week after, and browns play Texans.

Lots of shakeup the next two weeks. If we can go 2-0 against colts/vikings, i believe we will be controlling our own destiny.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 03:23 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Imagine this.

If, next week.

Bengals beat colts
Jags beat browns
Jets beat Texans
Chargers beat broncos
Chiefs beat bills

Bengals are the 7 seed.

Steelers and colts also play in 2 weeks.  So one of them will get an L.

Lots of shakeup the next two weeks.  If we can go 2-0 against colts/vikings, i believe we will be controlling our own destiny.

Jax might struggle with Beathard, unless he's really improved since we saw him last.

Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 03:26 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Jax might struggle with Beathard, unless he's really improved since we saw him last.

Yea, this win could become tiebreaker stuff. What’s cool is that if we somehow make it to the playoffs, it would be earned. If Jax makes it in due to a Lawrence injury, they might be backing in.

I’m gonna wait until after next week to see how I feel about playoffs. I’m sure secondary ticket prices are already going back up after the funnest game of the year, IMo.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 03:34 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Yea, this win could become tiebreaker stuff. What’s cool is that if we somehow make it to the playoffs, it would be earned.  If Jax makes it in due to a Lawrence injury, they might be backing in.  

I’m gonna wait until after next week to see how I feel about playoffs. I’m sure secondary ticket prices are already going back up after the funnest game of the year, IMo.

Agree. I need to see Browning play consistently well (I don't expect this every week, but good play), and the staff can continue the balance they had tonight, we have a puncher's chance. Defense needs to tighten up, but they got the stops when it was most critical.

Reply/Quote
Yes, because if we can make it to 10-7 that will be proof that God wants Jake Browning to lead us to the Super Bowl.

But realistically, no. There are too many teams already ahead of use with easier paths. Seems like everyone's got the Pats and Jets on their schedule but us.
Reply/Quote
Astoundingly, I've just done a predictor assuming we go 10-7, and it got us in at #7. Crazier is that in my scenario, we got in ON a tiebreaker.... by virtue of last night's win over the Jags. Maybe I was too harsh on them, as that'd mean they go 2-3, but Lawrence missing time could make that happen.

According to me, it's the Bills we want to watch out for. Their schedule is pretty tough, but obviously they're a good team and could realistically win any game on their schedule. But I had them going 3-2.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 03:23 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Imagine this.

If, next week.

Bengals beat colts
Jags beat browns
Jets beat Texans
Chargers beat broncos
Chiefs beat bills

Bengals are the 7 seed.

Steelers and colts also play in 2 weeks.  So one of them will get an L.

Lots of shakeup the next two weeks.  If we can go 2-0 against colts/vikings, i believe we will be controlling our own destiny.

Could see most happening but don't like the Jets over the Texans. But hey, I've been wrong before

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Do we even want to make the playoffs?

I know you never want to “lose,” but would making the playoffs do anything besides for possibly robbing us of being able to draft who we want?

I realize anything can happen and whatever, but, realistically, would you want us to get in if we’re going to be one-and-done?

I’ll admit that I was fired up watching Tom lead us to victory, but would it be worth it to keep winning?

If he does lead us to the playoffs, could we trade Tom and our draft pick to move up to take who we really want?

(I know his name’s not Tom, but Tom Browning was a Reds pitcher and has a daughter my age and I’m good friends with his sons, so it’s a rolling joke in a group text with my friends.)
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 08:59 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Do we even want to make the playoffs?

I know you never want to “lose,” but would making the playoffs do anything besides for possibly robbing us of being able to draft who we want?

I realize anything can happen and whatever, but, realistically, would you want us to get in if we’re going to be one-and-done?

I’ll admit that I was fired up watching Tom lead us to victory, but would it be worth it to keep winning?

If he does lead us to the playoffs, could we trade Tom and our draft pick to move up to take who we really want?

(I know his name’s not Tom, but Tom Browning was a Reds pitcher and has a daughter my age and I’m good friends with his sons, so it’s a rolling joke in a group text with my friends.)

If this team makes it to the playoffs, with a backup QB then yes… I want them to do it. Even in a one and done fashion that would speak to the coaches/team. Of course I also want the best draft position possible. But if you give me 5 more weeks of what I saw yesterday, it will make my weekends MUCH more enjoyable. Especially if it includes continued growth from young guys to see what we have.

I was in your shoes as well. I think the playoff talk is a little premature but the answer to the OP is yes 4-1 gets us in. At this point anything between 1-4 and 4-1 is within the realm of possibility. If the team is good enough to go out and win, do it. End of story.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:59 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 5 Games left

Week 14 Colts Minshew
Week 15 Vikings Dobbs
Week 18 Browns Flacco

Very possible. 

The main problem is the defense, which has been exposed without Bates and Bell. Both of those are having phenomenal years, just not with the Bengals. Normally, when the first QB goes down, the hope is the defense winning games, but this year's version of the defense has been very poor, which I don't attribute to Lou, but rather the front office letting both Bates and Bell go.

But if the youngsters on defense can continue to grow, then we could win enough to get the Bengals to ten games and into the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
It would be great if they did, but luck doesn't seem to be on the Bengal's side this year. This week against the Colts is important because it will show if "Tom" only tapped his inner Joe Montana for one game. Except for Baltimore, the schedule doesn't look too scary because the Chiefs are having a similar down year to the Bengals even with Patrick playing.
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 08:59 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Do we even want to make the playoffs?

You answered your own question when you said "I realize anything can happen."  Get in the playoffs, and anything can happen.

I've been around a long, long time. So, I've seen a lot of surprising upsets, including Super Bowl wins with backup QBs.  Just get to the playoffs and anything can happen.  
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2023, 02:59 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: 5 Games left

Week 14 Colts Minshew
Week 15 Vikings Dobbs
Week 18 Browns Flacco

Winning 4 of those 5 would be tough, even with Joe Burrow leading the charge.  The Colts and Vikings have been playing pretty good ball lately, and the Steelers, Chiefs and Browns all have upper tier defenses.  Even if the Bengals were able to pull off 4 wins, it would likely take some help from other teams losing, as the Bengals conference record is abysmal.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If Jake Brady wins the SB do we trade Droe Blurrowdsoe?
Reply/Quote