Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does he stay or does he go?
Spotrac says that Zac signed a 3 year contract meaning the Bengals could simply elect to not resign him and decide to look elsewhere for a head coach.

Now, I know many have wanted Zac fired since he was first hired (and props to Destro for continually calling for his firing even during our 5-2 start this year).

With that in mind, I'm curious as to how many wins it would take for YOU to re-sign Zac at the end of the season and how many wins it would take for the BENGALS to re-sign Zac at the end of the season?

For me, it's 10 wins or more. 9 if we make the playoffs and win a playoff game.

As for the Bengals, I think if Zac wins 8, maybe 7, they'll re-sign him.

What's your thoughts?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
To me it takes 10 wins.  Three years is the limit foe "re-building" in the NFL.  

I think he will be retained if we wins 9 even though that is not very impressive in a 17 game season with all the mediocre teams in the AFC this year.

No Bengal coach has returned after 3 losing seasons since Shula almost 30 years ago.  After all the money the front office has spent on free agents I don't see any way Taylor returns if we don't have a winning season.  

A losing season means a 3-7 finish to the year and fans will be screaming for blood if that happens.
Reply/Quote
Eight wins should be enough in Mike's eyes. That'll mean consecutive seasons where he doubled the previous season's win total.

For me, given we had a 5-2 start, I want to see 10 wins. That would mean winning records in the first and second half of the season, and that we were in the playoff hunt till the end, successful or not.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: No Bengal coach has returned after 3 losing seasons since Shula almost 30 years ago.  After all the money the front office has spent on free agents I don't see any way Taylor returns if we don't have a winning season.  A losing season means a 3-7 finish to the year and fans will be screaming for blood if that happens.

Good points, but then again, the fans have been clamoring for lots of things that the front office routinely ignores.
Reply/Quote
I would like to see nine wins. Anything less than that, it would have to be very context dependent like the offense blowing up but the defense lets them down and they lose some shootouts.
Reply/Quote
We should at least give him half the time Marvin got Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 11:06 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We should at least give him half the time Marvin got Ninja

So, Zac should get 47 seasons? Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:53 AM)fredtoast Wrote: To me it takes 10 wins.  Three years is the limit foe "re-building" in the NFL.  

I think he will be retained if we wins 9 even though that is not very impressive in a 17 game season with all the mediocre teams in the AFC this year.

No Bengal coach has returned after 3 losing seasons since Shula almost 30 years ago.  After all the money the front office has spent on free agents I don't see any way Taylor returns if we don't have a winning season.  

A losing season means a 3-7 finish to the year and fans will be screaming for blood if that happens.

YOu really think fans would be screaming bloody murder?  Really? Have you seen this message board? lol I mean most on here would be like "well Zac's done a great job with the roster he's given.  The defense is still misssing pieces after a $200M upgrade.  Bates had a bad year.  Next year will be better."  It's always excuses.  Personally, I don't think it matters if Taylor comes back or not.  The Bengals will lose a lot of those 1 year contracts next year until they up their pay scale and give more $$ upfront in bonuses like the rest of the league.  

Granted, I'll give the front office props for not signing Bates this off season.  Instead of playing like a Top 5 safety so far, he's played like a free agent off the street.   Unless he steps up the last 8 games, I'd let the guy walk at seasons end because I'm not giving him $15M a year to play the way he's played this year.  
Reply/Quote
I'll tell you this - no way in hell I would sign him for more than an additional year.

If they win 9-10 games I bring him back on a one year prove it deal. If he wins below 9 - he's out.

Ball is in the Bengals court.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
10-7. Anything less is a no from me. This team is way too talented to be farting around .500 or worse.
Reply/Quote
Perhaps, ultimately, it's a question that he himself must ask.

“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 11:14 AM)TJ528 Wrote: YOu really think fans would be screaming bloody murder?  Really? Have you seen this message board?

I have seen him get support so far this year because he has a winning record.

If we finish 3-7 after starting 5-2 I guarantee 90% of the fan base will want him gone.  There will always be a few who invested so much in building him up that they will refuse to acknowledge that he is a failure, but that is a very small minority.  It just seems like a popular position because fans on the extreme ends of the spectrum often make the most posts.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:45 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Spotrac says that Zac signed a 3 year contract meaning the Bengals could simply elect to not resign him and decide to look elsewhere for a head coach.

Now, I know many have wanted Zac fired since he was first hired (and props to Destro for continually calling for his firing even during our 5-2 start this year).

With that in mind, I'm curious as to how many wins it would take for YOU to re-sign Zac at the end of the season and how many wins it would take for the BENGALS to re-sign Zac at the end of the season?

What's your thoughts?

I said back before the start of the season he needed to have a winning record to keep him around.
If he was still under contract for next year, I'd be willing to keep him around even if he went 8-9 now that I've at least seen SOME potential this season.
I don't give him a new contract if he doesn't get to 8 wins, and I don't give him a multi-year contract unless he gets 9+.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They just released the 10 highest paid football coaches (nfl & college) and the lowest was at 7 million. So I am calulating Zac is making 2-3 million per year.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 10:45 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Spotrac says that Zac signed a 3 year contract meaning the Bengals could simply elect to not resign him and decide to look elsewhere for a head coach.

What's your thoughts?

im sure we would have heard about him being in a lame duck year if true.

No excuses this year... 8 wins isnt enough
Reply/Quote
Either playoffs or get fired. It's that simple.
He's been given enough time to "change this culture"
If he is fired there is enough talent here to attract
A proven HC who has a proven resume
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 11:31 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I'll tell you this - no way in hell I would sign him for more than an additional year.

If they win 9-10 games I bring him back on a one year prove it deal. If he wins below 9 - he's out.

Ball is in the Bengals court.

This.  If he gets the team to a winning season, makes (or misses by a game) playoffs, I'd give him one more year to see.  But no long-term, multi-year deal.  The team has some really great rookie contracts right now and they're using up the time.  If Zac can get them to the playoffs or just barely miss them, I'd give him one last chance to make and win in the playoffs.  3 years is plenty of time for a rebuild, they need to make some bigger strides as a team than just record to show Zac is the answer.  He's done a great job getting some life back in the team, bringing in young and excited talent and the org in general has finally joined the 21st century.  But it's time to get over the hump.  And if Zac isn't the guy to do that, better to make that change sooner than later before guys like Burrow get their contracts renewed and the team has to "rebuild" again. 
Reply/Quote
Playoffs or bust, for me personally.
Reply/Quote
(11-19-2021, 11:06 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: We should at least give him half the time Marvin got Ninja

Number of losing seasons Marvin had in his first 3 years - 0

Number of losing seasons Taylor has had in his first 3 years - 2 (possibly 3 depending on how this year finishes)

Marvin didn't have a losing season until his 5th season, of which he went 7-9.

Actually, out of Marvin's 16 seasons with the Bengals, only 6 of them were losing seasons.

Marvin deserved to stick around far more than Taylor deserves to.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I still can't believe he is a lame duck HC, and we only know this because of Spotrac. It seems this would have been a key fact/report/discussion going into the season as typically they get a 1 year extension just to avoid this status, and rarely (Marvin did after 16 years) do HC even ones on the hot seat coach under that cloud.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote