Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dont forget our OLINE still blows
(04-26-2017, 10:26 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: It is also worth noting that PFF has graded Smith consistently worse, year after year, since 2012.  Other than blind optimism, I don't get how people are excited about him playing a completely new position with an already declining skill set.

It is not out of the question that a RT that has been a good run blocker could not play RG very well.

A Right Tackle already has to be decent in pass protection.

It is injuries that make me pause when talking about Andre Smith. But this could be an upgrade you never know.

Zeitler was a terrible run blocker last year and the Stains overpaid for him on a royal scale.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 12:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is not out of the question that a RT that has been a good run blocker could not play RG very well.

A Right Tackle already has to be decent in pass protection.

It is injuries that make me pause when talking about Andre Smith. But this could be an upgrade you never know.

Zeitler was a terrible run blocker last year and the Stains overpaid for him on a royal scale.

In theory yes, but combine declining skills with an injury history and I don't see Smith as any kind of savior.  We'll have to disagree about Zeitler.  Remember that he was playing between Fisher/Winston and Bodine.  Hard to really shine with the guys on each side of you suck... I truly think this team is going to miss both Whitworth and Zeitler a lot.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 12:39 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: In theory yes, but combine declining skills with an injury history and I don't see Smith as any kind of savior.  We'll have to disagree about Zeitler.  Remember that he was playing between Fisher/Winston and Bodine.  Hard to really shine with the guys on each side of you suck... I truly think this team is going to miss both Whitworth and Zeitler a lot.

Yeah, we will have to disagree about Zeitler. I watched a lot of film of him and he was bad all by himself early last season.

It is true that it is a lot harder when you got a bad Center and a player that clearly was not ready next you though no question bout that.

We will see how Whit does in LA and how Og improves. If Whit starts to fall off we made the right decision.

I know we made the right decision on Zeitler, no way is he worth the contract the Clowns gave him, no way.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:49 AM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: I say draft 11 offensive linemen. We could have 3 different offensive lines to plug in there.

lol I was curious if a team has ever used all their picks on Oline or Dline players before. I couldnt find anything. You would think over the years that a team has been so bad for so long at one or the other that an owner would snap at some point and say Piss on it, I don't want any other position but Oline. Maybe a owner whose QB keeps getting killed.
Reply/Quote
Does anyone think our Oline is up to the challenge of blocking Garrett for the next 10 years?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 11:57 AM)sonofstat Wrote: I would disagree with this point.

Bodine and Fisher have never played with Andre as a RG, Andre has never played RG.  Boling spent pretty much his whole career to date with Whit on his left...now its Ced.

Yes , none of them are individually rookies but the unit as a whole has not had anytime together.

It's one thing i hope the coaching staff do in the preseason actually...let the 'starting' OL spend more than a handful of snaps together outside of game 3...think they need the time to gel.

I probably could have stated it better as: "The guys who are going to be playing have had more time to gel."

I realize the older guys had more time together. Which doesn't matter much now as it's a different line. But the guys who are here and are going to be playing in 2017-2018 have had a season to get familiar and will have had a couple offseasons. So they should look better than last year when they were just plugged in here and there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 01:32 PM)TKUHL Wrote: Does anyone think our Oline is up to the challenge of blocking Garrett for the next 10 years?

Too early to tell with all the players involved.

Garrett had most of his production against lesser competition in college. What side is he projected to line up at?

RE or LE?
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 01:30 PM)TKUHL Wrote: lol I was curious if a team has ever used all their picks on Oline or Dline players before. I couldnt find anything. You would think over the years that a team has been so bad for so long at one or the other that an owner would snap at some point and say Piss on it, I don't want any other position but Oline. Maybe a owner whose QB keeps getting killed.

I was mainly being sarcastic here, but it would be interesting in theory. I think the problem would be that you couldn't give enough time to players for development and it would set the prospects back.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 12:44 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, we will have to disagree about Zeitler. I watched a lot of film of him and he was bad all by himself early last season.

It is true that it is a lot harder when you got a bad Center and a player that clearly was not ready next you though no question bout that.

We will see how Whit does in LA and how Og improves. If Whit starts to fall off we made the right decision.

I know we made the right decision on Zeitler, no way is he worth the contract the Clowns gave him, no way.

I disagree on Zeitler, and so does PFF who rated him as one of the better guards in the league. 
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 01:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Too early to tell with all the players involved.

Garrett had most of his production against lesser competition in college. What side is he projected to line up at?

RE or LE?

He played RE in college and he doesn't have the build for LDE.  Good luck oggieboogie.   Fml
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 02:25 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I disagree on Zeitler, and so does PFF who rated him as one of the better guards in the league. 

Disagree about his proformance or making the right choice by not over paying him.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 02:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Disagree about his proformance or making the right choice by not over paying him 
He was bad ass last yraryear,  if the going rate for a top guard is 11 mil a year so be it.  Let's not be naive n pretend Zeitler wasn't good last year because he's no longer here.  
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 02:25 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I disagree on Zeitler, and so does PFF who rated him as one of the better guards in the league. 

Not in run blocking Socal, not in run blocking.

Zeitler used to be decent in run blocking in college too, don't know what PA did to him. Mellow

(04-26-2017, 02:27 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: He played RE in college and he doesn't have the build for LDE.  Good luck oggieboogie.   Fml

That is what i was afraid of.

(04-26-2017, 02:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Disagree about his proformance or making the right choice by not over paying him.

Definately overpaid.

(04-26-2017, 02:52 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: He was bad ass last yraryear,  if the going rate for a top guard is 11 mil a year so be it.  Let's not be naive n pretend Zeitler wasn't good last year because he's no longer here.  

I was wondering what was wrong with Zeit early last year. Og and Bodine were terrible but lets not act like Zeitler
was having a Probowl year or anything. The Stains are terrible judges of talent and overpaid for him big time.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 02:52 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: He was bad ass last yraryear,  if the going rate for a top guard is 11 mil a year so be it.  Let's not be naive n pretend Zeitler wasn't good last year because he's no longer here.  

I don't disagree he is a good guard... I disagree with paying any OG that much money.  Especially if that leaves us short for other things.  (like extending even better players like burfict)
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:22 AM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: We can pick anyone in the draft....our Oline is still gonna be absolutely horrible.

Don't forget...this is still an assumption.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 03:07 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: I don't disagree he is a good guard... I disagree with paying any OG that much money.  Especially if that leaves us short for other things.  (like extending even better players like burfict)

Yeah. I'd rather extend Burfict or even Eifert over a guard that s for sure  . I wouldn't mind Z just because our oline has so many question marks
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 08:12 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Maybe... We still have Bodine, Boling and big Andre inside (and I think Dre will make a great guard), so the questions are Fisher and Ced. I believe Fish will be ok, and I'm willing to give Ced a chance on the left side with a full off season of work before I write him off. Granted, I really hate what he has shown so far, but I'm willing to give him the first couple of games before I totally write him off again....

What happens if Ogeebogee gets injured in training camp? KA0S!
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 04:51 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yeah. I'd rather extend Burfict or even Eifert over a guard that s for sure  . I wouldn't mind Z just because our oline has so many question marks

You would be correct if Z was a decent run blocker which he is not.

We need Guards that can pass and run block like Boling.

Boling is better than Zeitler, he isn't another one trick pony.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2017, 01:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Too early to tell with all the players involved.

RE or LE?

Lesser competition? You mean exactly like the Bengals 2017 starting tackles and a fresh back surgery-d Tyler Eifert?   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2017, 12:22 AM)Alleyviper13 Wrote: We can pick anyone in the draft....our Oline is still gonna be absolutely horrible.

You don't know that nor does anybody on this message board.  The draft picks might step up at tackle and center. Andre Smith may help. Winston not bad to have as back-up. You have no idea who gets drafted in this 2017 draft.  They can still add players.  They have Spring and Summer to coach these guys up.    Nobody is playing any games this weekend.  Come September we will see.  It could be that in September they are good enough and by November and December they are very good.  NOBODY on here has any idea how the drafted tackles in 2015 are going to be.  Certainly the draft plan taking them high was for them to heal from their injuries and as veterans be very good.  

If they get coached up and come together as a unit, and can fire off the ball and block, we can win.  If they had to play right now they would stink.  This is why you have Spring and Summer practice and Preseason.  They are big enough and talented enough. The coaches need to earn their pay and the players have to come together as a tight unit by eating together, doing off field things together as the Bengals Super Bowl O Lines believed in. Go bowling together or whatever they have to do to come together as a team, as an O Line that functions as a unit.

I am in favor of dumping the Hue Jackson split O Line formations. They never ever work anyway. Putting tackles out with WR never works. Garbage can that mickey mouse nonsense and just practice all Spring and Summer these guys playing tackle. Since these tackles have so much coaching up to do, just dump the Hue Jackson split Line junk. Hue is long gone anyway. Get away from the Wicky Wacky Bungle Plays and just work on protecting Dalton to get the ball to Green and others and open run lanes. DO THAT, AND WE WIN.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote