Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft Burrow #1 but...
(03-19-2020, 07:02 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: They took Billy Price in the first two drafts ago.

And Whit in the second, Atkins in the 4th, Dalton in the second, Vinny Rey way back in the draft.  There is value all over the draft if you follow your rankings.
If you're picking at 33 and the best LB is on your board at 40 don't pick him, maybe trade down for picks then take him, but don't spend #33 on #40.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:13 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: And Whit in the second, Atkins in the 4th, Dalton in the second, Vinny Rey way back in the draft.  There is value all over the draft if you follow your rankings.
If you're picking at 33 and the best LB is on your board at 40 don't pick him, maybe trade down for picks then take him, but don't spend #33 on #40.

I might be inclined to take the #40 player at #33 if he's a LB.  How many more years do we wanna go before that gaping hole finally gets plugged?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:02 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: They took Billy Price in the first two drafts ago.

Didn't they trade back and then took him in the range most teams had him ranked along with the other Center who's now in Detroit?

Center may be a bit different in regards to need/pick as well. that year, there were only 3 Centers that were "startable by grades". If you don't have a bonafide Center, you have no OLine. I bit more important of a position than LB IMO....
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:16 PM)McC Wrote: I might be inclined to take the #40 player at #33 if he's a LB.  How many more years do we wanna go before that gaping hole finally gets plugged?
I'd try to trade back a few slots and pocket a pick then take the LB if he's still there.  Plus the coaches have done a great job beefing up the front line and that helps the LB's.  No doubt this is a bad situation for the Bengals having just two LB's signed at the moment, they can address it because they own the top of each round, trades should be happening with the Bengals. 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:17 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Didn't they trade back and then took him in the range most teams had him ranked along with the other Center who's now in Detroit?

Center may be a bit different in regards to need/pick as well. that year, there were only 3 Centers that were "startable by grades". If you don't have a bonafide Center, you have no OLine. I bit more important of a position than LB IMO....

They traded back before the draft when they acquired Cordy Glenn. Price wasn't remotely BPA when players like Isaiah Wynn, Lamar Jackson, Calvin Ridley, Terrell Edmunds, Harold Landry etc were still on the board.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:28 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: They traded back before the draft when they acquired Cordy Glenn. Price wasn't remotely BPA when players like Isaiah Wynn, Lamar Jackson, Calvin Ridley, Terrell Edmunds, Harold Landry etc were still on the board.

The coaches who made those decisions paid the price.  Bengals after Zim and Gruden left made many blunders in the draft.  What is the draft? 
It's like a blind wine tasting event.  One persons Grand Cru is another persons Lambrusco.  No  offense to either. 32 teams will have different rankings.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:28 PM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: They traded back before the draft when they acquired Cordy Glenn. Price wasn't remotely BPA when players like Isaiah Wynn, Lamar Jackson, Calvin Ridley, Terrell Edmunds, Harold Landry etc were still on the board.

So, they screwed up BPA in that instance then. And, look where they are now. I hope they can trade him away to someone who's in need of a Center.
Let's not make the same mistake again by taking a LB too early who doesn't have a better grade than another position (excluding K, QB) Lol
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:38 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: So, they screwed up BPA in that instance then. And, look where they are now. I hope they can trade him away to someone who's in need of a Center.
Let's not make the same mistake again by taking a LB too early who doesn't have a better grade than another position (excluding K, QB) Lol

Yeah, say no to Patrick Queen lol
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:38 PM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: So, they screwed up BPA in that instance then. And, look where they are now. I hope they can trade him away to someone who's in need of a Center.

Yeah, they screwed up by reaching for a position rather than going BPA but let's hope they can take some steps prior to the draft to address LB, even if temporarily, so they don't feel the need to reach again.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 07:13 PM)bengals1969 Wrote: And Whit in the second, Atkins in the 4th, Dalton in the second, Vinny Rey way back in the draft.  There is value all over the draft if you follow your rankings.

7 spots is not a reach... especially in a need position... with that said.. I don;t think after the top 4 LBs.. the next LB would be in mid to late 2nd round.. so I would go another route or BPA since 
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 08:05 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: 7 spots is not a reach... especially in a need position... with that said.. I don;t think after the top 4 LBs.. the next LB would be in mid to late 2nd round.. so I would go another route or BPA since 

I think what started this idea was me suggesting the possibility that with all the LB's signed in FA, maybe one of the top 4 might be still there at 33.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
If Queen is there at #33, Bengals will take him because of his untapped potential (huge ceiling) at a position of need.
I think the likely scenario will be OL like Cleveland, Jones, Thomas. Cleveland is a hell of an athlete and can play inside and RT.

Aiyuk WR could also be the pick assuming Mims is gone.
Baun is a perfect fit for the Ravens. A similar player to Baun is Lewis who can play backer somewhat but I worry about his health. Lewis is a stud however.

A few players to keep an eye on later in the draft:

Woodward (LB) is a beast if healthy
Tanner Muse (Safety) is like Chinn.
Kendrick Rogers (WR) was the go-to guy at A & M
Joe Reed (WR) Slot with speed and great hands.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 08:27 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If Queen is there at #33, Bengals will take him because of his untapped potential (huge ceiling) at a position of need.  
I think the likely scenario will be OL like Cleveland, Jones, Thomas.    Cleveland is a hell of an athlete and can play inside and RT.  

Baun is a perfect fit for the Ravens.  A similar player to Baun is Lewis who can play backer somewhat but I worry about his health.  Lewis is a stud however.  

Look at you with all the research and dropping knowledge on us.  Much appreciated.

Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 08:27 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: If Queen is there at #33, Bengals will take him because of his untapped potential (huge ceiling) at a position of need.  
I think the likely scenario will be OL like Cleveland, Jones, Thomas.    Cleveland is a hell of an athlete and can play inside and RT.  

Baun is a perfect fit for the Ravens.  A similar player to Baun is Lewis who can play backer somewhat but I worry about his health.  Lewis is a stud however.  

I will agree on Queen's upside, he is a talent. Problem is his lack of production and his wrapping up when tackling.

At least he is a good cover LB and we will need a LB that can step in immediately, thank God for the Pratt pick last year.

Tanner Muse is a good name to drop Psych. Wink
Reply/Quote
I've lived watching bad LBs long enough that I can live with it for one more year. Get the new franchise QB either weapons or protection.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:06 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: I've lived watching bad LBs long enough that I can live with it for one more year.  Get the new franchise QB either weapons or protection.

That is a weapon..one of the best helps a QB can have is a better defense..you cant score if you dont have the ball much. Besides if Burrows is that good we dont need the weapons as much as we did with Andy..correct?
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2020, 11:06 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: I've lived watching bad LBs long enough that I can live with it for one more year.  Get the new franchise QB either weapons or protection.

We've got pretty good weapons going into the draft and we can draft protection for him and still get a LB or two.  And pick up another WR.  I think you might be the only one who wants to live with the LB situation for another year.  And we quite literally do not have enough LB's even on the team.  

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 12:13 AM)McC Wrote: We've got pretty good weapons going into the draft and we can draft protection for him and still get a LB or two.  And pick up another WR.  I think you might be the only one who wants to live with the LB situation for another year.  And we quite literally do not have enough LB's even on the team.  

This. Have to focus on our linebacker core this draft (inside, outside), mix in a safety/corner, G/T, dline, and a late round WR.

Lack of weapons has not been the problem on offense. Lack of protection and injuries has. They are slowly fixing that problem. Bring in Thuney for Dalton and we can really just focus on defense this draft.
Reply/Quote
This is one of the best WR classes in the last couple decades, if we don’t come away with one other better guys I’m going to be bummed.

Give Burrow all the weapons we can. Ideally I’d like to see the 1st 4 rounds go something like...QB, WR, LB, OL.

Reply/Quote
(03-20-2020, 12:34 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: This is one of the best WR classes in the last couple decades, if we don’t come away with one other better guys I’m going to be bummed.

Give Burrow all the weapons we can. Ideally I’d like to see the 1st 4 rounds go something like...QB, WR, LB, OL.

If someone falls that is truly too good to pass up, why not draft them? But our defense needs attention. I dont want us reaching for players, but we should be in position to land some great defensive players in rounds 2-4.
Reply/Quote