Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driskell vs Barkley
(08-10-2018, 10:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This has been the offseason of uncharacteristic moves by the Bengals.  Why would anyone think that they are done, now?

I've been saying for a while that I don't think that our starting Right Tackle is on the roster, yet.  Perhaps the same can be said for the backup QB position?  

The premise of your OP sought to put everyone's thinking into a little box, with limited options to work with.  But, fortunately during this offseason we have seen moves made that were out of the ordinary, in terms of Mike Brown normal.  So, I'm sticking with that.  Scrap 'em both, and pick up the best of the released on cutdown day.

So you think that's what will happen?  Enough to 'bet on it'?  (I didn't think so)

FYI my post was, between the 2 backups, who do you think won Game 1, AND which do you think Brown will keep?

MOST folks just drive by posts that don't apply to them.
Reply/Quote
Being a veteran, and seeing what went on in the preseason games so far, AND ESPECIALLY after watching the video below, I'm done and will leave you with this parting prediction;

1. The Steelers will continue to own this team.

2.  More and more teams will start successfully pushing their buttons.

3.  They will continue to shoot themselves in the foot time and time again ...  probably with penalties, especially personal foul after the whistle ones.

4.  In other words, nothing changes enough to make a difference.

GOOD NIGHT IRENE!!      Violin

https://youtu.be/SmWbGaT1jNY
Reply/Quote
Ahhh see we knew your opinions didn't count for anything.
Reply/Quote
(08-12-2018, 11:46 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: What about Hopps and Malt? Will they show much better?

Anyways, am I the only person who thought Driskel played superbly? Screw the numbers, his pocket presence was fantastic, his mobility was excellent, decision-making was on point as well, but the main thing, his downfield and intermediate passes were all accurate and well-thrown.

I don't get it; even without the pick, he played as well or better than Andy, I felt.

Still only saw the great TD play from Driskel to Auden, thanks for this Truck.

I was in the Game Day thread and people were acting like Driskel was terrible in there.

This makes me feel much better about our backup situation but i think we should atleast bring in a guy to backup Driskel.

Sounds like Barkley is not the answer and i just wonder why they have him as the 2nd string QB when Driskel is clearly better.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 06:21 PM)bengalguy71 Wrote: Being a veteran, and seeing what went on in the preseason games so far, AND ESPECIALLY after watching the video below, I'm done and will leave you with this parting prediction;

1. The Steelers will continue to own this team.

2.  More and more teams will start successfully pushing their buttons.

3.  They will continue to shoot themselves in the foot time and time again ...  probably with penalties, especially personal foul after the whistle ones.

4.  In other words, nothing changes enough to make a difference.

GOOD NIGHT IRENE!!      Violin

https://youtu.be/SmWbGaT1jNY

Man, when you only hook up the negative post the battery doesn't work.
Reply/Quote
I have extremely low faith in either of them for various reasons.

Barkley has played against starters in his career, yet never showed any promise he could run an offense to be successful.

Driskell has never played against a starting defense in preseason that I know of, let alone in a regular season game. It's on thing to put up nice numbers against scrubs that will most likely be cut in a vanilla defense, it's another against a defense that has prepared for him while running their full playbook. Not to mention the skill and speed of a starting defense is a big notch up over third & fourth stringers.

Maybe Driskell can be serviceable filling in for Andy for a game or two, maybe even for a lengthy time. I have no idea. There is very little to go on for me to think he can. Only way to know is to see him get playing time with the ones.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Maybe we'll get to see Driskell get some reps vs. the #2s this week? Should be a more accurate representation of how he will react if put in an actual NFL contest.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 06:48 PM)Millhouse Wrote: I have extremely low faith in either of them for various reasons.

Barkley has played against starters in his career, yet never showed any promise he could run an offense to be successful.

Driskell has never played against a starting defense in preseason that I know of, let alone in a regular season game. It's on thing to put up nice numbers against scrubs that will most likely be cut in a vanilla defense, it's another against a defense that has prepared for him while running their full playbook. Not to mention the skill and speed of a starting defense is a big notch up over third & fourth stringers.

Maybe Driskell can be serviceable filling in for Andy for a game or two, maybe even for a lengthy time. I have no idea. There is very little to go on for me to think he can. Only way to know is to see him get playing time with the ones.

It is the only way to know but AJM played decent in regular season games and last year sucked against scrubs
way more than Driskel did. Would like to see how Driskel plays against starters for sure. I am not scared having
him out there against 1's unless he gets hurt again, he seems to be our only chance if Dalton goes down.

But lets be honest, if Dalton goes down there isn't much of a chance no matter who we got backing him up.

Bridgewater could be here and i would still be on my toes, he hasn't been that great in the NFL.

(08-13-2018, 07:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Maybe we'll get to see Driskell get some reps vs. the #2s this week?  Should be a more accurate representation of how he will react if put in an actual NFL contest.

Hope so, don't understand how he is always the 3rd string QB when he clearly looks better than the 2nd.

If we see him move up to the 2nd spot we will have one more sign things have changed around here for the better.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 07:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: But lets be honest, if Dalton goes down there isn't much of a chance no matter who we got backing him up.

Bridgewater could be here and i would still be on my toes, he hasn't been that great in the NFL.

I agree. Bridgewater might be a good second option but not sure. However, compared to what we have? he was a starter and has experience.

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 07:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is the only way to know but AJM played decent in regular season games and last year sucked against scrubs
way more than Driskel did. Would like to see how Driskel plays against starters for sure. I am not scared having
him out there against 1's unless he gets hurt again, he seems to be our only chance if Dalton goes down.

But lets be honest, if Dalton goes down there isn't much of a chance no matter who we got backing him up.

Hope so, don't understand how he is always the 3rd string QB when he clearly looks better than the 2nd.

If we see him move up to the 2nd spot we will have one more sign things have changed around here for the better.

Yes and really this is true across the league with super rare exceptions. 

I don't have a ton of faith in Driskell but I strongly feel he's way better than Barkley.
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 07:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes and really this is true across the league with super rare exceptions. 

I don't have a ton of faith in Driskell but I strongly feel he's way better than Barkley.

This.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 07:23 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I agree. Bridgewater might be a good second option but not sure. However, compared to what we have? he was a starter and has experience.

Yep, just need a backup that is better than Barkley is all, shouldn't be hard to find and honestly might even be on
the team in Flowers. Would like for us to cut Barkley, move Driskel to 2nd string and give Flowers a shot at QB, he
doesn't have an ugly throwing motion of anything and talk about some backup scrambling QB's.

Edit: Guess i am completely forgetting about Woodside though, would like to see what he has as well.
Reply/Quote
Does anyone know what it would cost to cut Barkley, as he signed a 2 year deal for 3.1 million (3.35 I read on CJ)? Cause if it does, then that has to be a factor in keeping him on regardless of how bad he is, plus his ties with Lazor.

Edit: Also just read it would be a $1.4 million cap hit this year if he was cut.

(08-13-2018, 07:14 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is the only way to know but AJM played decent in regular season games and last year sucked against scrubs

At this point if AD goes down for any time, just hope it is early on before the trade deadline is up to try to trade for a top backup to have a better chance.

As good as the Bengals offseason has been,  addressing the backup QB with Barkley is to me a glaring mistake. And one that could be very costly, especially when we just saw the Eagles win the Super Bowl with their backup. I just hope I am wrong, but more so I pray to the old gods and the new that AD has another fully healthy season.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 07:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes and really this is true across the league with super rare exceptions. 

Same way i feel and by the way is Driskel spelled with two L's?

Lots are spelling it like that but i thought it just had one. I like to spell properly lol

It is an honest question, i just don't want to go on bengals.com and look up the roster right now.

Lazy beer drinkin dude that i am.

(08-13-2018, 07:50 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Does anyone know what it would cost to cut Barkley, as he signed a 2 year deal for 3.1 million? Cause if it does, then that has to be a factor in keeping him on regardless of how bad he is, plus his ties with Lazor.

At this point if AD goes down for any time, just hope it is early on before the trade deadline is up to try to trade for a top backup to have a better chance.

As good as the Bengals offseason has been,  addressing the backup QB with Barkley is to me a glaring mistake. And one that could be very costly, especially when we just saw the Eagles win the Super Bowl with their backup. I just hope I am wrong, but more so I pray to the old gods and the new that AD has another fully healthy season.

Damn, if it costs that much dough that was our other mistake besides not getting a trade for AJM this Offseason.

Hope Barkley plays much better then...
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 06:45 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Still only saw the great TD play from Driskel to Auden, thanks for this Truck.

I was in the Game Day thread and people were acting like Driskel was terrible in there.

This makes me feel much better about our backup situation but i think we should atleast bring in a guy to backup Driskel.

Sounds like Barkley is not the answer and i just wonder why they have him as the 2nd string QB when Driskel is clearly better.

I think because of the whole veteran thing.

But yeah, Driskel isn't another Matt Scott; he's done this against 2nd and 3rd stringers for 2 years now and is far and away the most athletic/strongest arm of our 3 (4?) QBs.

Why I was so high on his performance, is because he made great decisions, was accurate on his deep and intermediate throws and his pocket presence/scrambling was fantastic; the way he weaved in and out of defenders and still made STRONG and ACCURATE throws on the run... it was a great sight.

Indeed, like everyone, I want to see him against 2s.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-11-2018, 05:01 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Why this organization shelled out money for Matt Barkley over Collin Kaepernick is beyond me.  Kaepernick has at least an outside chance of winning an NFL game without being surrounded by ethereal, otherworldy beings as teammates.  8 TDs to 18 picks is the anti-Foles stat line. 

You're living in the past. Take all the political crap, and what it would bring, off the table.... there's still the fact that CK is not the same guy anymore. Since he let his girlfriend have his cajones, and tell him what to think, say and eat, he is underweight and his arm is dead. When he became a vegan (old indian term meaning piss poor hunter) , he hasn't looked healthy since. If he still had any game at all left in him, one of these teams would have signed him. Maybe not MB or Jerry Jones, but Miami, Seattle, etc., he would be loved..... he just isn't any good anymore. 
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2018, 08:07 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Same way i feel and by the way is Driskel spelled with two L's?

Lots are spelling it like that but i thought it just had one. I like to spell properly lol

It is an honest question, i just don't want to go on bengals.com and look up the roster right now.

Lazy beer drinkin dude that i am.

Damn, if it costs that much dough that was our other mistake besides not getting a trade for AJM this Offseason.

Hope Barkley plays much better then...

It's Driskel, one L

(08-13-2018, 10:33 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I think because of the whole veteran thing.

But yeah, Driskel isn't another Matt Scott; he's done this against 2nd and 3rd stringers for 2 years now and is far and away the most athletic/strongest arm of our 3 (4?) QBs.

Why I was so high on his performance, is because he made great decisions, was accurate on his deep and intermediate throws and his pocket presence/scrambling was fantastic; the way he weaved in and out of defenders and still made STRONG and ACCURATE throws on the run... it was a great sight.

Indeed, like everyone, I want to see him against 2s.

I believe Driskel is leaps and bounds better than Barkely, there's little doubt in my mind. I'd like to see Dalton only play one series then bring Driskel in against some better competition and see what he can do.

I hope we get to see Woodside as well.
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2018, 09:28 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: It's Driskel, one L

I believe Driskel is leaps and bounds better than Barkely, there's little doubt in my mind. I'd like to see Dalton only play one series then bring Driskel in against some better competition and see what he can do.

I hope we get to see Woodside as well.

I think Woodshed will get some PT this week and the final week of Pre-Season. He has been practicing, so I'd think its time.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd really like to watch a quarter with Driskel in with the 1's, have some time, and see what he can do....
Reply/Quote
(08-14-2018, 10:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'd really like to watch a quarter with Driskel in with the 1's, have some time, and see what he can do....

ThumbsUp
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote