Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Election Results
(11-07-2018, 10:51 AM)GMDino Wrote: No idea how to run a campaign?

He traveled more, shook more hands, visited every county in the state, etc.  He was out there meeting with constituents.

And he outraised Cruz without any PAC money.

Texas is red...that's just the way it is.  That this guy came close and made the GOP sweat is interesting in and of itself.

That Cruz sold his soul to have Trump campaign FOR him after how the primaries went in 2016 says more about Cruz than the election does.

He campaigned but that doesn't mean he knows how to run one.  This isn't me.  This is what I read, and no it wasn't from Fox.  They said he was brilliant at raising money, and energizing people which are what you are giving him high marks for.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-07-2018, 10:40 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I'm very encouraged by the national results. Our country always does better with a split Congress. One party control is for Communists and fascists. Also, the new influx of female congresswomen and senators is a great boon to our country.

Statewide, I am less encouraged by the results. With the possible exception of our senate race, which is still too close to call, and the rejection of Prop 305, it appears as if most of the voters here just went in and checked straight party line. The one very disturbing thing in all of this is the approval of Prop 306: a measure that requires all rules by our bi-partisan Clean Elections Commission to be reviewed by a governor-appointed regulatory council. This is an effort to subvert the will of the voters who approved the commission decades ago so that the controlling party can gerrymander districts.

Oh well. What comes around, goes around.

Pretty much the same here in Kentucky.

We passed (last I heard, hadn't checked the final numbers) marsys law, a not so great ballot measure that's going to choke our courts. And (at least in Western Kentucky) we kept state Rep s red, which was very surprising given the local fallout over their tax hikes and attempts to cut teacher pensions.
Oh and my daughter said maybe she likes the Green Party and asked if there were any on the ballot. I told her I think I saw a few and then went and double checked. That Condit guy was running under the Green Party this year. If you are not from around Cincinnati you've never heard of him, but he is one despicable piece of trash and he somehow gets on the ballot every election under different parties. The Green Party of course said we want nothing to do with this guy. Thankfully (not that it would have mattered) I got ahold of my daughter before she voted.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-07-2018, 10:57 AM)michaelsean Wrote: He campaigned but that doesn't mean he knows how to run one.  This isn't me.  This is what I read, and no it wasn't from Fox.  They said he was brilliant at raising money, and energizing people which are what you are giving him high marks for.  

Isn't that how you run a campaign?  Raise money from people who support you (real people...not anonymous PACs), get people enthusiastic for you and your ideas, keep your message out there.

Versus Cruz who was an incumbent in a state that almost never votes Democrat.

It was an uphill battle...and to get as close as he did seems to mean he ran a pretty good campaign.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-07-2018, 11:13 AM)GMDino Wrote: Isn't that how you run a campaign?  Raise money from people who support you (real people...not anonymous PACs), get people enthusiastic for you and your ideas, keep your message out there.

Versus Cruz who was an incumbent in a state that almost never votes Democrat.

It was an uphill battle...and to get as close as he did seems to mean he ran a pretty good campaign.

I don't think so.  I'm just repeating back some things I read, but there are strategies and how to spend the  money etc.  I don't really have a horse in this argument, I just thought I'd spit back some of what I read, because I had been rather unfamiliar until the last couple of days. 

(11-07-2018, 11:19 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think so.  I'm just repeating back some things I read, but there are strategies and how to spend the  money etc.  I don't really have a horse in this argument, I just thought I'd spit back some of what I read, because I had been rather unfamiliar until the last couple of days. 

Well I'd like to read those and see how they think he should have ran it differently.  

Edit to add I didn't have a horse in the race as it's not my state but I think Cruz is awful.
(11-07-2018, 11:31 AM)GMDino Wrote: Well I'd like to read those and see how they think he should have ran it differently.  

Edit to add I didn't have a horse in the race as it's not my state but I think Cruz is awful.

I just googled and looked at the first few things about him.  I meant I don't even have a horse in this argument.  I just summarized some things I read, and if people think it's not accurate I'm not going to try and defend it.

Virginia Democrats flipped three House seats, and we were expecting one, maybe two. Of our 11 districts, seven are now Democrats and of those seven, only two are white men.

Our city went entirely blue, which was a concern for us. We had two open City Council seats with five people running. Two were Democrats, one was a progressive independent, and two were claiming to be conservative independents but they were really Republicans and were just lying to try to avoid the negative Republican party associations. We were concerned that the progressive independent would allow one of the Republicans to win by splitting things out because one of our candidates has a huge optics problem, but that didn't happen.

While our city supported the Democrat candidate for our House district with 66% of the vote, which means as the city committee we did our job, she lost the election to the protege of the retiring weasel Bob Goodlatte. She did better than about any candidate has done during Goodlatte's tenure, though, so that is a light in the darkness.

Nationwide, it was what I was expecting and it was pretty close to the expectations from polling. I'm looking forward to digesting some of the results from the election to try to see what needs to be done going forward. Every year is an election year here in Virginia, so we'll relax for a bit around here and then start gearing up for our state legislative races next year.

Quick edit: In our state house district, which has been Republican for a long time, the Democratic House candidate came very close to carrying the state house district, within 100 votes close. That was news I just received, which means that we have some interesting information to use going into next year.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-07-2018, 11:50 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Virginia Democrats flipped three House seats, and we were expecting one, maybe two. Of our 11 districts, seven are now Democrats and of those seven, only two are white men.

Our city went entirely blue, which was a concern for us. We had two open City Council seats with five people running. Two were Democrats, one was a progressive independent, and two were claiming to be conservative independents but they were really Republicans and were just lying to try to avoid the negative Republican party associations. We were concerned that the progressive independent would allow one of the Republicans to win by splitting things out because one of our candidates has a huge optics problem, but that didn't happen.

While our city supported the Democrat candidate for our House district with 66% of the vote, which means as the city committee we did our job, she lost the election to the protege of the retiring weasel Bob Goodlatte. She did better than about any candidate has done during Goodlatte's tenure, though, so that is a light in the darkness.

Nationwide, it was what I was expecting and it was pretty close to the expectations from polling. I'm looking forward to digesting some of the results from the election to try to see what needs to be done going forward. Every year is an election year here in Virginia, so we'll relax for a bit around here and then start gearing up for our state legislative races next year.

Quick edit: In our state house district, which has been Republican for a long time, the Democratic House candidate came very close to carrying the state house district, within 100 votes close. That was news I just received, which means that we have some interesting information to use going into next year.

You were concerned that you would have a single Republican on city council?  

(11-07-2018, 12:04 PM)michaelsean Wrote: You were concerned that you would have a single Republican on city council?  

We have a five person City Council. We have one independent who is really a Republican (they pulled this last time, too, but he had better name recognition so he won), we have two Democrats (one of whom is really a Republican and the party isn't supporting anymore), and then the two open seats. So what we really wanted was the two Democrats to win so we would have a majority on the City Council, which hasn't happened here in quite a while even though the city for almost 20 years now has voted overwhelmingly Democrat in federal and state elections.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-07-2018, 12:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: We have a five person City Council. We have one independent who is really a Republican (they pulled this last time, too, but he had better name recognition so he won), we have two Democrats (one of whom is really a Republican and the party isn't supporting anymore), and then the two open seats. So what we really wanted was the two Democrats to win so we would have a majority on the City Council, which hasn't happened here in quite a while even though the city for almost 20 years now has voted overwhelmingly Democrat in federal and state elections.

I see my mistake.  When you said all blue you meant in the open seats not on the whole council.  

Looks like I’m living in the right place for me. Every person and measure I voted for here in Oregon, went the way I voted.
(11-07-2018, 12:44 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Looks like I’m living in the right place for me. Every person and measure I voted for here in Oregon, went the way I voted.

Jesus a whole state of you.  

(11-07-2018, 12:44 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Looks like I’m living in the right place for me. Every person and measure I voted for here in Oregon, went the way I voted.

Likewise, here in CT. LOL

PA pretty much stayed the same with a Democratic Governor and Republican Legislature.  There might have been a few small gains one way or the other but I didn't look statewide yet.
Trump is doing his "press conference" right now and it is very sad.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2018/11/06/election-2018-u-s-house-senate-and-state-governors-races-live-stream/1892664002/

He's claiming everyone that he supported won...those who didn't ask for his support lost...and that it was a message that people support his plans because they won two more seats in the Senate and didn't lose as many seats as Obama lost in his first midterm.

This just isn't what a President does.  

Or it shouldn't be.
(11-07-2018, 02:35 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Looks like Issie 1 that I made a thread about got crushed. Guess not everyone’s as progressive as I. I’m guessing they went for too much at once and I think the huge amount of fentanyl you could have and still be a misdemeanor scared a lot of people. And the possible sentence reductions of not just drug offenders but anyone not convicted of rape murder or child molestation. That leaves a lot of really bad crimes.

Cordray (D) supported Issue 1, DeWine ® opposed it and won. Ohions by a good majority also opposed it.

At the same time Sherrod Brown (D) regained his Senate seat with similar numbers that DeWine got.

I wonder if Cordray backed the wrong horse there, and if it made a difference.

But it is interesting all Ohio voters were voting for Governor and a Senate seat. GOvernor went ®, Senate seat (D). So I guess at least in Ohio it isn't just about voting down party line.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(11-07-2018, 02:08 PM)GMDino Wrote: Trump is doing his "press conference" right now and it is very sad.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2018/11/06/election-2018-u-s-house-senate-and-state-governors-races-live-stream/1892664002/

He's claiming everyone that he supported won...those who didn't ask for his support lost...and that it was a message that people support his plans because they won two more seats in the Senate and didn't lose as many seats as Obama lost in his first midterm.

This just isn't what a President does.  

Or it shouldn't be.

It also isn't true. Kobach took a shellacking and he was a Trump darling. Stewart here in Virginia has close ties to Trump as well and lost.

(11-07-2018, 02:23 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It also isn't true. Kobach took a shellacking and he was a Trump darling. Stewart here in Virginia has close ties to Trump as well and lost.

I didn't think I needed to add that he was lying... Ninja

But he sounds broken and scared.
(11-07-2018, 02:25 PM)GMDino Wrote: I didn't think I needed to add that he was lying... Ninja

But he sounds broken and scared.

Jim Acosta being his annoying self just now. Ugh. He goes too far too often.