Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Eli Apple re-signs
(03-17-2022, 07:58 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: tennesse playoffs, chiefs playoffs game before half time

Are you talking about the 2nd quarter where he gave up a TD, a 40 yard bomb, and a PI?  

You act like that tackle exonerated him.  We wouldn't have even been defending on the goal line if it wasn't for him.  

And I need some of what you're smoking. Eli Apple is NOT the reason we beat Tennessee.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 08:02 PM)basballguy Wrote: Are you talking about the 2nd quarter where he gave up a TD, a 40 yard bomb, and a PI?  

You act like that tackle exonerated him.  We wouldn't have even been defending on the goal line if it wasn't for him.  

And I need some of what you're smoking.  Eli Apple is NOT the reason we beat Tennessee.

Eli Apple is gonna be Eli Apple

he's gonna play bad, he's gonna play good. He's volitile

Eli Apple used to be plain bad. No good. For $4 million? Im happy Eli is on the team

now he just needs to get off twitter
Reply/Quote
Nice. No world beater but knows the system and a good value for money signing.
I’ve said it before but I love what the FO has been doing the past couple of years, operating like a well functioning FO. It’s a very good time to be a Bengal fan.
Reply/Quote
This is still backup money.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 08:04 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Eli Apple is gonna be Eli Apple

he's gonna play bad, he's gonna play good. He's volitile

Eli Apple used to be plain bad. No good. For $4 million? Im happy Eli is on the team

now he just needs to get off twitter

probably the most appropriate use of "volatile" I've seen all week.  :)

There's definitely pros to having him...he's cheap and familiar with the scheme...that always carries some weight.  
Reply/Quote
Im happy with it, all the guy did was show up each week (was not injured) and played quite well for us in place of the other 50 M/yr injured CB. Just needs to cut back on social media BS and hes good. I honestly don't think we make the SB last season without this guy.
Reply/Quote
I like Apple and he's shown to be a capable starter. I would think we will draft a corner if we don't sign another one. I'm surprised we haven't released waynes yet
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 07:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A lot of people are forgetting this. I hated Eli as a Bengal long before the Super Bowl and long before I knew of his Twitter idiocy. One of my oldest friends is a Giants fan that's hated Eli since day 1 and I've dated a Saints fan off and on when I'm in her town for years. She called laughing when Cincy signed him. "You're going to hate him sooooo much." I was still hopeful and said "He'll be a #4 or #5. I doubt he'll play a lot of meaningful minutes." Whoops.

The scouting report I got from both of them was this "He's so physically weak that he can't play bump and run coverage because he gets man handled and tossed to the ground like a rag doll in the first five yards. If the line can hold for a second and a half, his man will be wide open for a 25-50 yard gain. So he has to play at least 6-7 yards off of the line so they won't legally run into him and bowl him over, even if it's 3rd and 1.

Well, the Bengals do run a lot of zone coverage . . . and Eli always plays zone. Even when they call man to man, it still looks like Eli is going to play zone.

If he's starting week one, that's a failure on the FO. He's a #4 at best because there is no way he's beating out a healthy Mike Hilton for slot corner.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Not bad for that money. I’m sure a 1st or 2nd round CB will be competing with him to start.

Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:17 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: A lot of people are forgetting this. I hated Eli as a Bengal long before the Super Bowl and long before I knew of his Twitter idiocy. One of my oldest friends is a Giants fan that's hated Eli since day 1 and I've dated a Saints fan off and on when I'm in her town for years. She called laughing when Cincy signed him. "You're going to hate him sooooo much." I was still hopeful and said "He'll be a #4 or #5. I doubt he'll play a lot of meaningful minutes." Whoops.

The scouting report I got from both of them was this "He's so physically weak that he can't play bump and run coverage because he gets man handled and tossed to the ground like a rag doll in the first five yards. If the line can hold for a second and a half, his man will be wide open for a 25-50 yard gain. So he has to play at least 6-7 yards off of the line so they won't legally run into him and bowl him over, even if it's 3rd and 1.

Well, the Bengals do run a lot of zone coverage . . . and Eli always plays zone. Even when they call man to man, it still looks like Eli is going to play zone.

If he's starting week one, that's a failure on the FO. He's a #4 at best because there is no way he's beating out a healthy Mike Hilton for slot corner.

This guy gets it.  
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 09:17 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: A lot of people are forgetting this. I hated Eli as a Bengal long before the Super Bowl and long before I knew of his Twitter idiocy. One of my oldest friends is a Giants fan that's hated Eli since day 1 and I've dated a Saints fan off and on when I'm in her town for years. She called laughing when Cincy signed him. "You're going to hate him sooooo much." I was still hopeful and said "He'll be a #4 or #5. I doubt he'll play a lot of meaningful minutes." Whoops.

Curious, how did you rate Ramsey's play in the Super Bowl?

I was there and he could not cover anyone deep the entire game. Only thing saving him with the LA pressure. BTW..Ramsey is a stud by like every CB, they face a lot of stud WR's that make them look bad
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

Why did you quote a post showing Apple was elite in man coverage to argue that he could not play man coverage?

I don't understand.
Reply/Quote
Apple was a 15 game starter for us and we made the Super Bowl. 26 year old former top 10 pick. Every DB gets beat.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:51 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Apple was a 15 game starter for us and we made the Super Bowl. 26 year old former top 10 pick. Every DB gets beat.

Our corners are a fine unit. Strength in numbers. We don’t have any 1 superstar, but they can hang with most. I’m glad we got Apple back on that deal. It pushes the need a year and we didn’t do something silly, like sign Gilmore to a 5 year deal at 12-16m a year. This whole offseason was about staying relatively similar to last year, and completely overhaul the OL. We will see tomorrow how that plays out.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:51 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Apple was a 15 game starter for us and we made the Super Bowl. 26 year old former top 10 pick. Every DB gets beat.

...and Eli Apple got better throughout the season as he adjusted to what Lou Anarumo wanted him to do. I look for Eli to have an awesome 2022.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:55 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: ...and Eli Apple got better throughout the season as he adjusted to what Lou Anarumo wanted him to do. I look for Eli to have an awesome 2022.

Right, his arrow is pointing up, not down. He knows another year of growth would present an opportunity for him to “break the bank” from someone.

I honestly like his passion, which can be misconstrued at times.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:51 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote:  26 year old former top 10 pick. 

6'1" and runs a sub 4.4 forty.

Reggie Nelson was a former first round pick who was in his 4th season when he came to the Bengals.  He was considered a bust in Jacksonville.  We traded a scrub named David Jones for him.

Maybe Apple will blossom and bear the fruit of his potential here in Cincinnati. 
Reply/Quote
Another 1 year deal to keep him nice and motivated.

I'm not going to hate on him bc Giants and Saints fans hate him. Seems silly to me.

He played well for us overall and that's all that matters.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 10:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 6'1" and runs a sub 4.4 forty.

Reggie Nelson was a former first round pick who was in his 4th season when he came to the Bengals.  He was considered a bust in Jacksonville.  We traded a scrub named David Jones for him.

Maybe Apple will blossom and bear the fruit of his potential here in Cincinnati. 

That is my thinking. He doesn’t have the “top 10 label” pressure here. Same could be said for Adam Jones. Sometimes it takes a few years to mature, on the field and off.

He also has the tummy comfort of good safeties over the top as well.

Just go out and play football.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 11:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Another 1 year deal to keep him nice and motivated.

I'm not going to hate on him bc Giants and Saints fans hate him. Seems silly to me.

He played well for us overall and that's all that matters.

Honestly I think of lot of the hate towards Apple is that as an OSU product a lot of people have followed his behavior closely.  They don't like him because of the way he acts off the field.
Reply/Quote