Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enough crying, what’s the Chase-less gameplan YOUD adopt? X’s and O’s
Chase being out is not the "coup de gras" for the Bengals, but certainly can't afford Higgins, Boyd, or Hurst to get hurt now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 09:11 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Really?

In 2020 Burrow was throwing to a rookie in Higgins, Boyd, a disinterested AJ Green and Drew Sample was his freaking TE for 13 of the 16 games. 

He still threw for 300yds 4 times and 400yds once. 

Yes, "really". He didn't have to replace a PBer on the fly in 2020. He wasn't a captain in 2020. He wasn't a defending AFC champion in 2020. And Drew Sample wasn't his "freaking TE for 13 of the 16 games" in 2020 because he shredded his knee halfway through the year and only played in 10.

But otherwise it was exactly the same context, you're right. Joe Burrow has been here before. No excuses.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 10:36 PM)tms Wrote: Yes, "really". He didn't have to replace a PBer on the fly in 2020. He wasn't a captain in 2020. He wasn't a defending AFC champion in 2020. And Drew Sample wasn't his "freaking TE for 13 of the 16 games" in 2020 because he shredded his knee halfway through the year and only played in 10.

But otherwise it was exactly the same context, you're right. Joe Burrow has been here before. No excuses.

Yes he was.

Reply/Quote
Well I would get away from the empty sets.
I'd then go after FA TE like Jared Cook
And implement more 2 TE sets to help protect JB.
I'd be a more run heavy and add more play action passes.
Now the next few games minus Chase comes down
To keeping JB healthy and upright . We can't lose our franchise QB.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 10:46 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Well I would get away from the empty sets.
I'd then go after  FA TE like Jared Cook
And implement more 2 TE sets to help protect JB.
I'd be a more run heavy and add more play action passes.
Now the next few games minus Chase comes down
To keeping JB healthy and upright . We can't lose our franchise QB.

Jared Cook is atrocious and lost the chargers multiple games last year
Reply/Quote
Even though they said they wouldn't trade him, I'd make a fair offer for Elijah Moore.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
If Chase was out for the year, they might actually consider trading for someone. If Chase isn't out for the year, there's not a chance in hell they're trading for someone. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Don't change anything throw someone in Chase spot and throw to the open guy. Hurst, Higgins and Boyd will be enough targets with whoever else is out there. Maybe run it a lil more if we are getting good yards per carry.

Can't freak out over one guy going down when your offense is loaded with weapons. If we can get a good WR without it costing too much that we can plug and play at Chase spot for a few weeks till he gets back then grab them. You might keep better depth at WR next year and not go with just special teams guys. Was not a smart move now it is biting them a bit but we should still be able to put up points with Joe throwing it and the targets we got.
Reply/Quote
Game plan? I would say that I’d plan to pound the rock more because the Browns aren’t stout up the middle, but I’m not sure if this team can do that.

Honestly, I’d try to throw more screens to Mixon and Perine. Involve Hayden Hurst more, try to really sell the short game and make them bite hard in runs before trying to hit Tee deep and hope Boyd can make a few big plays on slants.

Hurst and Mixon needs to show up more this game.
Reply/Quote
Chad Johnson phone call offering to play at league minimum incoming in 3...2...

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 09:41 PM)Housh Wrote: Pryor

4.37, decent hands.

Won’t be asked to run routes. He’s gonna run streaks and posts, that’s it.

I thought he went to Jacksonville?
Reply/Quote
The intermediate passing game has been working well stick with it 10-to-15-yard range. Hit these plays and the rest will open up Joe's arm and reads will get us thru to the bye week then we can get healthy.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 11:03 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: If Chase was out for the year, they might actually consider trading for someone. If Chase isn't out for the year, there's not a chance in hell they're trading for someone. 

Agree with this and believe that should be their plan. 

Of course we may not make a trade even if Chase is out for the year, Bengals usually don't make these sort of moves. 

Would myself but obviously I have no say in the matter

Not a Thomas fan but believe he can be alright in a short stint with Boyd, Higgins, and Hurst getting most of the attention and Joe throwing dimes lately. Hope so anyway. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
We've got plenty of weapons. If we lose Boyd or Higgens I'll be worried.

Look around the NFL. How many teams have two legit wideouts? Maybe 5-10 teams. How many have 3? Us and who else?

We'll be fine. It sucks. I hope he can play in the playoffs. But we should be able to win without him.

Would I be open to bringing in another wideout? Absolutely. I'm not sure who's out there of value though. Desean Jackson is a definite pass for me though. He old.
Reply/Quote
I'd be fine with Odell if he has his head on straight and physically he's up to snuff. I know that old Texans receiver that got suspended is talented, but I don't know if he's a locker room fit. Maybe a trade. We'll see what happens. I'm not worried yet though.
Reply/Quote
1) Don't panic.

Wait to see if we get more info on Chase. If it really looks likely to be only 4-6 weeks, or at oeast not season ending, I'd want to play a game to see how we do without him.

So what do we do vs Cleveland?

2) Activate Lassiter or Irwin from the PS. Both if Morgan is a no go.

3) Mix things up more to see who performs best.

With our normal set, we can go:
a) Thomas out wide in Chase's spot or,
b) move Boyd wide and put Taylor in the slot.
c) Some snaps for Morgan/Irwin (wide) or Lassiter (slot)
d) I'd also run some 2 TE with Hurst split or some 2 back with Evans that usually ends with Evans in the slot, but not always. Or even sOme sets with Hurst as the 3rd WR AND Evans in the slot.

I want a lot of motion & shifting. Hurst starting wide and moving to a TE spit or vice versa. 2 backs with Evans (or Mixon) splitting wide. Some end arounds to the split wide RB in motion.

I'd also run AT Garrett often.

4) Try to make lemonade (out of this lemon).

Burrow is a great QB, but sometimes he locks on Chase too much, or tries to force it too him. While this sucks short term, maybe this helps him with that.

5) If we beat Cleveland and look decent, stay the course and try to survive with calling up Lassiter & Irwin. If we struggle, try & make a trade.
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 10:36 PM)tms Wrote: Yes, "really". He didn't have to replace a PBer on the fly in 2020. He wasn't a captain in 2020. He wasn't a defending AFC champion in 2020. And Drew Sample wasn't his "freaking TE for 13 of the 16 games" in 2020 because he shredded his knee halfway through the year and only played in 10.

Do you even watch the games?
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-27-2022, 09:02 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Well Mixon needs a healthy dose of touches and they are just gonna have to suck it up and gitter done

^This makes me wonder if they do trade for someone that perhaps more O-line help would be the route to go.^

It not only addresses the run game but might give Burrow some added insurance should one of the starters go down.

Bolster up the run game and give JB more time to make reads might make up for losing Chase for a bit...
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
@ Isaac Curtis 85

I like this idea:
“Move Boyd wide and put Taylor in the slot”

Adding to that:
Sprinkle in some Evans and get Hurst more involved and it’s a good start.
Reply/Quote
They have more than enough weapons to compete and win. Yeah, they weren’t as explosive in 2020 without him, but this TEAM is night and day compared to that TEAM. They still have more weapons than many other teams who are winning right now.
Reply/Quote