Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Finley after the bye week?
God I hope so. Andy isnt the guy we all know this. Even when he has time to throw he still throws a shit pass.
Reply/Quote
Zac Taylor might be in over his head but he’s not dumb. He knows Ryan Finley has never played a snap against any first team NFL defense and it’s too risky to put him in a game against one. Now if Zac wants to take a chance that’s fine but it might be overwhelming for Ryan. If the Bengals are going to start Ryan over Andy Dalton — and I’m not totally against it — Zac is going to have to pick which game to do it very carefully. Personally, I wouldn’t have him start against the Steelers or the Patriots but against the Jaguars or the Browns he might have a puncher’s chance. Basically looking at defensive line stats might help; I wouldn’t put Finley in front of a defensive line with lots of sacks and pressures.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:04 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Anyone think it is possible that Taylor wants to give Finley a shot, but is waiting until the bye week to give him 2 full weeks of prep before doing so?

I'm at the point that I really want to see what we have in Finley, especially soon. It'll give me a reason to watch the games.

I think they will have to take Dalton out of Jacksonville and Rams game after too many hard hits.  Finley will come in and he will not look that hot with no blocking either.  

I predict you will see Finley in before bye week, maybe after Jags have beat Bengals O line so much Dalton hit way too many times.  Finley getting hit as soon as the ball is snapped won't be any better. 

As for reasons to watch Bengals, I have none.  Like last season, this team is in for many losses and some games over at halftime.  I can think of more reasons not to watch Bengals than to watch Bengals.

Finley finally or finally Finley in will only show there is more grave than gravy to the haunts and nightmares that vex the Bengals this Halloween. Beware of things that go bump in the night or go bungle at game time.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 04:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: you mean that's not how he NAILED!! the interview?

After seeing him on the job, I'm starting to think this is what happened.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 06:57 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Zac Taylor might be in over his head but he’s not dumb. He knows Ryan Finley has never played a snap against any first team NFL defense and it’s too risky to put him in a game against one. Now if Zac wants to take a chance that’s fine but it might be overwhelming for Ryan. If the Bengals are going to start Ryan over Andy Dalton — and I’m not totally against it — Zac is going to have to pick which game to do it very carefully. Personally, I wouldn’t have him start against the Steelers or the Patriots but against the Jaguars or the Browns he might have a puncher’s chance. Basically looking at defensive line stats might help; I wouldn’t put Finley in front of a defensive line with lots of sacks and pressures.

Every team we play gets right in the sacks and pressures department.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't think Finley could do much behind this o-line other than get broken.  Dalton is a 9 year vet and he's shown regression and the seeing of "ghosts" behind this line.  Plus, until further notice I'm thinking ZT and MB are thinking Dalton is our starter going forward for years to come, so benching him would be a super big no no in their minds.

This train of thought (going on 3 years) is what kills me. Why do we degrade other QBs so much to suggest: "If Andy can't do it behind this line no one can"?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 03:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If Finley looks like he deserves a shot then I am okay with it.  If he has not done anything in practice to demonstrate that he deserves a chance then the rest of the team will give up on the season.

It never fails to amaze me how the same fans can complain about players getting snaps that don't deserve them and at the same time spin around and call for the coaches to start a guy "just because".

By all accounts, he didn't show anything in training camp practices, then when he played in games, he moved the team and got them in the endzone. 

Not everyone practices how they play. That was something Marv never understood/believed. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
We are obviously going to have a very high draft choice next spring. I think we need a good look at Finley in two or three games at least. There are plenty of positions on this team that could use highly drafted players. We need to see if now is the time to go ahead with getting a highly drafted quarterback.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 03:22 PM)s Wrote: I hope that we get some better coordinators.  That will not happen mid season.  Zac needs a veteran presence to help him as he has both HC responsibilities and offensive play calling.  That's a lot.  He needs to be able to delegate, and he needs more capable assistants to do that.

I may be crazy and forgive me if someone already mentioned this but what about Jay Gruden? The organization is familiar with him, which would seemingly make MB comfortable. IMO I think a veteran DC would be more beneficial but Jay Gruden had plenty of success here previously. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 11:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This train of thought (going on 3 years) is what kills me. Why do we degrade other QBs so much to suggest: "If Andy can't do it behind this line no one can"?

I think the short answer is that we are pretty sure we are stuck with the players we have now so we tell ourselves that even if we tried someone else (which would be us getting what we wanted) it wouldn't matter, ergo we shouldn't be so upset that we aren't likely to make many if any moves.  Typical sour grapes, really.

I wouldn't agree that NO ONE can do well behind this o-line, but I don't think it's unreasonable to doubt a 4th round pick rookie could get in there and make reads and go through his progressions faster than Dalton. We can put Finley in to "see what we have in him" but 3 seconds into the game we are then going to declare that we can't "see what we have in him" with an o-line that is so utterly horrid.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 11:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This train of thought (going on 3 years) is what kills me. Why do we degrade other QBs so much to suggest: "If Andy can't do it behind this line no one can"?

I think a lot of that comes from the old school narrative that a young QB has to have a super star all world Oline or he'll get scared s@#$!^s  

25 years ago in the age of the pure drop back passer this was mostly true, today not so much. Old habits die hard !

Put Finley in now, there's no need in waiting.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 09:38 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I think the short answer is that we are pretty sure we are stuck with the players we have now so we tell ourselves that even if we tried someone else (which would be us getting what we wanted) it wouldn't matter, ergo we shouldn't be so upset that we aren't likely to make many if any moves.  Typical sour grapes, really.

I wouldn't agree that NO ONE can do well behind this o-line, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 4th round pick rookie to get in there and make reads and go through his progressions faster than Dalton.  We can put Finley in to "see what we have in him" but 3 seconds into the game we are then going to declare that we can't "see what we have in him" with an o-line that is so utterly horrid.

We'll never know until we try though huh ?

It's not like we're throwing away our chance at a playoff run. 
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 10:00 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: We'll never know until we try though huh ?

It's not like we're throwing away our chance at a playoff run. 

I had to edit that to fix what I was saying about Finley.  I accidentally said the opposite of what I meant via some egregious typo-ing.

But to my point, even if we put Finley out there we're just going to say "Can't judge him...o-line is awful" before you know it.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 10:05 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I had to edit that to fix what I was saying about Finley.  I accidentally said the opposite of what I meant via some egregious typo-ing.

But to my point, even if we put Finley out there we're just going to say "Can't judge him...o-line is awful" before you know it.

Oh I'm quite sure it will come up. And don't get me wrong in no way am I saying Finley is out future franchise QB, is gonna save the season or anything else. 

It's just that Dalton is not the answer down the road. Let's take a long look at what we've got in the backups. 
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 10:11 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I'm quite sure it will come up. And don't get me wrong in no way am I saying Finley is out future franchise QB, is gonna save the season or anything else. 

It's just that Dalton is not the answer down the road. Let's take a long look at what we've got in the backups. 

I get that, but I also am feeling pretty sure we just extend Dalton if he will take another team friendly deal and we roll into 2020 with the same promise that we'll be in the playoffs as long as the injury gods don't smite us again.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 03:22 PM)samhain Wrote: I think we're locked into this meltdown ride or die.  

I hear someone, maybe Dehner make a comment yesterday that the family was exhausted by the coaching search last offseason and is not too excited to embark on a similar path this year.  that's kind of pathetic, but it's likely true.  

I hope that we get some better coordinators.  That will not happen mid season.  Zac needs a veteran presence to help him as he has both HC responsibilities and offensive play calling.  That's a lot.  He needs to be able to delegate, and he needs more capable assistants to do that.  

The only real changed I see are rookies and 2nd year guys getting heavy run to evaluate before the offseason.  Not sure if Finley figures into that or not.

Poor babies are exhausted by a coaching search.  I mean seriously?  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote

You may not understand, but there is a good reason other NFL teams use high draft picks or spend huge amounts of money to get a good LT.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 01:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You may not understand, but there is a good reason other NFL teams use high draft picks or spend huge amounts of money to get a good LT.

You mean the Texans weren't just trying to do the dumbest thing they could when they traded the farm for Tonsil?
Reply/Quote

Why do some defend our lack of running game behind the same line?

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Are reporters afraid to ask the coach the question about when he might consider playing the backup to spark the offense? COnsidering marcus mariota got benched. The reporter/team relationship seems messed up. Ask the right damn questions or your conference is worthless, your job is more than your paycheck. Coach makes millions he can handle you not being his brown noser.

NFL should institute "questions from fans" after every game where questions are voted on and supplied to the press conference.They are directed at any coach or any player, and they must answer or be fined the game check. Hey, it's entertainment and not a sport.
Reply/Quote