Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Finley after the bye week?
(10-18-2019, 09:34 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  
Like I said before, using Watson to try and prove that an o-line does not effect the QB is like saying we should look for our future QB in the 6th round because of Tom Brady.

I find it 2funny when simpletons say "We can find the best QB ever in the sixth round".

You can't prove a point with an exception to the rule.  We would have as much luck fining a QB who could flourish behind our current line as we would finding a Hall of Fame QB in the sixth round.

What if I told you: 

Russel Wilson was sack 51 times and had a rating of over 110

Dak Prescot got sack 56 times and had a rating of over 96

Derik Carr 51 times rating over 93

Aaron Rodgers 49 times rating over 97

Are we still just talking exceptions to the rule?

If so let me add:

Matt Ryan 42 sack rating over 108

Ryan (freaking)Tannehill  35 sacks rating over 92

Are we still talking about exceptions to the rule or should I continue?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think we see a choreographed Dalton exit mid game tomorrow with Finley going in. Maybe a pinky sprain.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 09:59 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think we see a choreographed Dalton exit mid game tomorrow with Finley going in. Maybe a pinky sprain.

Why? What makes you think we're going to see Finley at all this year?

I get it. I want to see him in a game, too. But, I don't expect to unless Dalton gets an actual injury.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 10:37 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Why? What makes you think we're going to see Finley at all this year?

I get it. I want to see him in a game, too. But, I don't expect to unless Dalton gets an actual injury.

I think we will and we should. First off, there’s a good chance Dalton does get injured. With our OL in its current state, every snap could be Daltons last. Second, what msg are you sending the team and the fans if you don’t try to see if he can make a difference? If you keep riding on Dalton and we keep losing, we’re accepting mediocrity. Heck, the chances of Finley being the diamond in the rough is minimal at best. However, he did well in preseason and we would be foolish not to experiment a little.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 09:59 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think we see a choreographed Dalton exit mid game tomorrow with Finley going in. Maybe a pinky sprain.

I've wondered if they might take that approach ? It's happened thru the years many times just to let the person save face.

(10-19-2019, 11:16 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I think we will and we should. First off, there’s a good chance Dalton does get injured. With our OL in its current state, every snap could be Daltons last. Second, what msg are you sending the team and the fans if you don’t try to see if he can make a difference? If you keep riding on Dalton and we keep losing, we’re accepting mediocrity. Heck, the chances of Finley being the diamond in the rough is minimal at best. However, he did well in preseason and we would be foolish not to experiment a little.

Agree
Reply/Quote
I think Andy Dalton will be on an airplane to another NFL city before October 30th. Mike Brown might be “football dumb” but he isn’t “business dumb” and he understands Andy’s trade value is only dropping further with each loss. Lots of teams need serviceable quarterbacks this year because their number one guy has gone down. Behind Kansas City’s offensive line he could do some serious damage to their opponents.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 10:37 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Why? What makes you think we're going to see Finley at all this year?

Yes. Because Dalton has been amazing this year. No need to try to improve at quarterback especially with the way he’s played.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 11:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: This train of thought (going on 3 years) is what kills me. Why do we degrade other QBs so much to suggest: "If Andy can't do it behind this line no one can"?

Probably because a little over three years ago, all of the Dalton hating crybabies got what they wanted . . . McCarron at QB and he promptly went 2-2 with the same team that went 10-3 with Dalton.

The Bengals went 10-2 in games Dalton finished.

The Bengals went 2-3 in games McCarron finished.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
They're just waiting for Andy to get his next season ending injury. What'll it be this time around?  Another thumb? Two thumbs? A poked out eyeball?  It can't be too serious or they might have to go find another QB because I have a feeling that whoever takes over for Andy is going to have to deal with his own season ending, perhaps career ending injury or injuries..
What happens if all 3 go down in the same game...in the same half...in the same set of downs? 1st down Andy's gone. 2nd and 40 Finely gone and finally 3rd and 73 Dolagala gone.. Instead of run, run, pass it'll be punt, punt and punt. Can teams actually punt on 1st down?  I can just about see the entire team run off the field of play the second the ball is kicked then run back out to punt it back.. Nothing like the complete lack of courage to fire up the Bengals faithful.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 10:15 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Probably because a little over three years ago, all of the Dalton hating crybabies got what they wanted . . . McCarron at QB and he promptly went 2-2 with the same team that went 10-3 with Dalton.

Dalton had years of running the offense and playing with the starters.  AJ was just thrown in there and had them a playoff win until J Hill fumbled it away.  Dalton is done...   

We have to see what we have in Finley. If he looks good we can Draft other positions instead of panicking and grabbing a QB in the 1st.
Reply/Quote
Andys never really ever had a complete team to QB for. If it wasn't the lack of players it was the lack of qualified coaches.. I think he would do quite well with the right organization behind him, but he's never had such a luxury in Cincinnati. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I didn't realize that Finley is 24 right now and will be 25 in December.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 11:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I didn't realize that Finley is 24 right now and will be 25 in December.

That doesn’t bother me in the least.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 11:11 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: That doesn’t bother me in the least.

There are stats that show the younger a QB is when drafted, the better they turn out to be. In general.

Not many 24/25 year old rookies turn out to be big stars.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 02:37 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I think Andy Dalton will be on an airplane to another NFL city before October 30th.  Mike Brown might be “football dumb” but he isn’t “business dumb” and he understands Andy’s trade value is only dropping further with each loss.  Lots of teams need serviceable quarterbacks this year because their number one guy has gone down.  Behind Kansas City’s offensive line he could do some serious damage to their opponents.

I don't think there's any question i'd be all for it, but i don't think Mike would look at it that way. I'd be willing to bet money that he views the injuries as the main problem they've suffered this year and he wants to keep Dalton around because of the man he is, not necessarily the player he is. Plus, i'd bet he thinks Dalton's experience couldn't be bettered by Finley's mobility (at least, what he showed in PS). 

He's just not the kind of guy to move players before their contract is over, in the middle of the year. The only way i could see it happening is if the decision is more of a group one, and he gives in--if it's what others want. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 10:11 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Yes.  Because Dalton has been amazing this year.  No need to try to improve at quarterback especially with the way he’s played.

That's the absolute MOST frustrating thing. We see QBs, of all kinds of experience, get benched for someone else...except here. It doesn't matter that during the game, it feels so stale and like they are going absolutely nowhere. He's still out there every game, every series, every down. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 10:15 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Probably because a little over three years ago, all of the Dalton hating crybabies got what they wanted . . . McCarron at QB and he promptly went 2-2 with the same team that went 10-3 with Dalton.

Is McCarron still on this team?

Is any QB that comes in this year going to produce equal to what McCarron did in '15?

If the answer to the previous 2 questions is "no", then you're premise is a complete fail. 

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 10:25 PM)grampahol Wrote: They're just waiting for Andy to get his next season ending injury. What'll it be this time around?  Another thumb? Two thumbs? A poked out eyeball?  It can't be too serious or they might have to go find another QB because I have a feeling that whoever takes over for Andy is going to have to deal with his own season ending, perhaps career ending injury or injuries..
What happens if all 3 go down in the same game...in the same half...in the same set of downs? 1st down Andy's gone. 2nd and 40 Finely gone and finally 3rd and 73 Dolagala gone.. Instead of run, run, pass it'll be punt, punt and punt. Can teams actually punt on 1st down?  I can just about see the entire team run off the field of play the second the ball is kicked then run back out to punt it back.. Nothing like the complete lack of courage to fire up the Bengals faithful.. 

I've got news for you chief. Back in the dark ages, against the Browns in Cleveland, David Klingler and then Don Hollis both got injured in the same game and a very little known QB named Jeff Blake came in to mop up. He looked like one of those QBs that could run around but if he had to throw...hold your breath. 

He only proceeded to come in the very next week and go bombs away to Pickens and Scott, ushering in the Shake and Blake era, at least giving fans something to cheer about for a short period of time. 

For the record, that's the game (afterward) that i got so frustrated, i ripped off (literally) my bengals tee shirt and threw it down in the basement because i was so frustrated with the team. 

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 10:32 PM)grampahol Wrote: Andys never really ever had a complete team to QB for. If it wasn't the lack of players it was the lack of qualified coaches.. I think he would do quite well with the right organization behind him, but he's never had such a luxury in Cincinnati. 

Put down the peyote, gramps. 

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2019, 11:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't think there's any question i'd be all for it, but i don't think Mike would look at it that way. I'd be willing to bet money that he views the injuries as the main problem they've suffered this year and he wants to keep Dalton around because of the man he is, not necessarily the player he is. Plus, i'd bet he thinks Dalton's experience couldn't be bettered by Finley's mobility (at least, what he showed in PS). 

He's just not the kind of guy to move players before their contract is over, in the middle of the year. The only way i could see it happening is if the decision is more of a group one, and he gives in--if it's what others want. 

You know it. We're a couple lucky breaks from being 4-2 now in their minds. Taylor says it in Press Conferences. I'm thinking Bengals management believes it too.
Reply/Quote