Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Finley after the bye week?
Here's a nice little read for you all.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-its-time-for-the-bengals-to-look-beyond-qb-andy-dalton

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I'd consider it average, but either way, he's still completing more passes than he's not.

It's well below average. 

Average (which is nothing to crow about) is 65%. 

Dalton is currently 27th in comp%.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Looking at Dalton’s performance from a clean pocket—the conditions that PFF’s Research and Development Team have found to be the most stable for predicting and evaluating quarterback play—paints the same bleak picture over Dalton’s time with the team. Entering the 2019 season, Dalton had managed just two 100-pus clean-pocket passer ratings, and he managed to crack the top-10 in clean-pocket passer rating only once when he did so with a 110.2 rating that ranked sixth among quarterbacks back in 2015. His other seasons saw him produce ratings that were good enough to rank between 14th (102.5, 2016) and 32nd (90.1, 2014) among starting quarterbacks.

Now, over his career as a whole, Dalton has completed 2,207 of his 3,267 pass attempts from a clean pocket for 24,031 yards, 159 touchdowns and 79 interceptions. Among the 59 quarterbacks who have attempted at least 500 passes from a clean pocket since 2011, Dalton’s 75.9 adjusted completion ranks tied with Mitchell Trubiksy for 32nd, his 7.4 yards per attempt is tied for 39th, his 95.2 is tied with Eli Manning for 34th and his 3.1 turnover-worthy play percentage is tied with Matt Hasselbeck and Brian Hoyer for 31st. It’s all right in the proverbial “Dalton Scale” — it’s far, far from the best, but somehow, it could be worse.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 04:58 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: ^ This post is full of silly 'Dalton excuses'.   Cool

Please point out where I said anything factually incorrect. Thanks.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Making matters worse for the team, the average clean-pocket performance that has plagued this passing offense over recent seasons has taken a nosedive this year, with the Red Rifle’s clean-pocket passing grade currently sitting at 28th among 38 qualifying signal-callers. His 75.5 adjusted completion percentage, his 86.3 passer rating, his 7.0 yards per attempt and his 2.4 clean-pocket big-time throw percentage are all bottom-eight marks among qualifying passers so far this year, but perhaps more concerning has been his inaccuracy when the pass-rush has been kept at bay. All told, Andy Dalton has thrown an uncatchable, inaccurate pass on 19.8% of his clean-pocket dropbacks so far this year, which ranks 30th among the aforementioned 38 quarterbacks, and that’s despite the fact that he currently fields an average depth of target of just 7.1 yards downfield (28th) and is averaging only 2.15 seconds to throw (third-quickest).

He’s dropping back, looking short, getting the ball out quickly and missing his receivers. That’s not the kind of play that constitutes offensive success.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here's a nice little read for you all.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-its-time-for-the-bengals-to-look-beyond-qb-andy-dalton

Nah, I don't wanna change. I'd prefer to stay mediocre for like 3 more years ! Ya see I wanna dig really, really, deep into the excuses. I mean let's dive down deep and come up with some truly inventive excuses.

Aren't you tired of the Oline, No weapons, AJ's out, No Eifert, HC, OC, game plan, scheme, play calling, defense let us down easy peasy stuff ?

Let's hunker down and get to the great excuses.  Gaah
Reply/Quote
Another significant contributor to Dalton’s offensive downfall, both from a clean pocket and under pressure, has been what has become a complete inability to work effectively outside the pocket. Whether on designed rollouts or scrambles away from the oncoming rush, Dalton has earned a 49.3 passing grade on throws outside the pocket, 21st among the 27 quarterbacks with 20 or more such attempts this year, having completed 13 of his 27 attempts for just 45 yards, one touchdown, one interception, one turnover-worthy play and zero big-time throws. His 1.7 yards per attempt and his 51.6 passer rating on such throws are the worst and fifth-worst marks among those quarterbacks this year, respectively, and it’s far from ideal for a head coach who comes from a coaching tree that has relied upon the use of play-action and movement.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:06 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It's well below average. 

Average (which is nothing to crow about) is 65%. 

Dalton is currently 27th in comp%.

Either way, he's still completing more passes than he's not.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Please point out where I said anything factually incorrect. Thanks.

Excuses and factually correct are not mutually exclusive.  Mellow

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:18 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Either way, he's still completing more passes than he's not.

That's a big ole 'so what?'. 

Of all the QBs that qualify (34), every one of them is completing more than they're not. 

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Here's a nice little read for you all.

I stopped reading when they said he was better last year than in 2015.

You really think Dalton was better last year than in 2015?

'15....66.1 comp%.....6.5 td%.....1.8 int%.....8.4 yd/att.....106.2 rt.....250.0 yd/g.....3 rush td
'18....61.9 comp%.....5.8 td%.....3.0 int%.....7.0 yd/att.....  89.6 rt.....233.3 yd/g.....0 rush td

What a joke.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I stopped reading when they said he was better last year than in 2015.

'15....66.1 comp%.....6.5 td%.....1.8 int%.....8.4 yd/att.....250.0 yd/g.....3 rush td
'18....61.9 comp%.....5.8 td%.....3.0 int%.....7.0 yd/att.....233.3 yd/g.....0 rush td

What a joke.

Here's the joke. You defend a guy endlessly, when his numbers are less than others. Then, when someone says a season was better, even though his numbers were worse than another year, you call it a joke. The real reason you stopped reading was because of all the terrible truths that article has in it. 

They don't grade on raw stats. You know this. They grade on every snap played and the outcome. 

Ass stands in for mouth. Strengthen your game, young padawan. 

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:16 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Another significant contributor to Dalton’s offensive downfall, both from a clean pocket and under pressure, has been what has become a complete inability to work effectively outside the pocket. Whether on designed rollouts or scrambles away from the oncoming rush, Dalton has earned a 49.3 passing grade on throws outside the pocket, 21st among the 27 quarterbacks with 20 or more such attempts this year, having completed 13 of his 27 attempts for just 45 yards, one touchdown, one interception, one turnover-worthy play and zero big-time throws. His 1.7 yards per attempt and his 51.6 passer rating on such throws are the worst and fifth-worst marks among those quarterbacks this year, respectively, and it’s far from ideal for a head coach who comes from a coaching tree that has relied upon the use of play-action and movement.

Are you under the impression that there are still people who think Dalton should still be starting? I just wonder who you are trying to convince.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:44 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Are you under the impression that there are still people who think Dalton should still be starting? I just wonder who you are trying to convince.

There are some.

Mostly talking out loud.  Nervous

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote:  The real reason you stopped reading was because of all the terrible truths that article has in it. 

Any article that says Dalton was better in '18 than '15 probably doesn't have much truth in it.

(10-25-2019, 05:38 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote:  They don't grade on raw stats. You know this. They grade on every snap played and the outcome. 

I know.  I have pointed this out to you repeatedly.  It is totally subjective and the formula is flawed.  The way PFF rates players one guy could end up ranked behind another who played fewer snaps and messed up more often. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 02:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think it really depends on how the JAX and LAR games go. But if this team is winless going into the bye, I fully expect some personnel changes. Maybe it's a coach, maybe it's benching Dalton, who knows but I feel something is coming.

I question whether Mike Brown even knows the wheels have come off his team. He sleeps through games.

Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:27 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Excuses and factually correct are not mutually exclusive.  Mellow

That's a weird way to say that there was nothing wrong with my post. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's a big ole 'so what?'. 

Because you were making it sound as if every pass he threw was too far above, ahead, behind of his receivers. 

You are a very influential poster on here. People look up to you. They take your word as gospel and they need to know that not ALL of Dalton's passes were bad.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2019, 05:31 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I stopped reading when they said he was better last year than in 2015.

'15....66.1 comp%.....6.5 td%.....1.8 int%.....8.4 yd/att.....106.2 rt.....250.0 yd/g.....3 rush td
'18....61.9 comp%.....5.8 td%.....3.0 int%.....7.0 yd/att.....  89.6 rt.....233.3 yd/g.....0 rush td

What a joke.

To be fair, they did say "at the start of 2018".
Reply/Quote
No Finley.

No thank you.

The Bengals have too many issues on offense for a young qb to come in and not get shell shocked. Ride out the season with Andy and work Findley in slowly when the game is out of reach so he gets some live looks.

Draft o-line, and then see what happens when Dalton has time to throw.

If Findley shines or Dalton struggles, then by all means, make a change. I am not in favor of ruining a young qb on a season that is already over. Fix the o-line, then grade the qb.

If we are replacing players for poor o-line play, every RB needs released immediately...
Reply/Quote