Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fire Sale article

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/teams-willing-to-trade-first-round-pick-for-a-j-green-when-healthy-but-skeptical-whether-bengals-will-make-a-deal/

There is increasing internal discussion in front offices around the NFL about the state of the Cincinnati Bengals and the potential for possible trades ahead of this month's deadline. Conversations with eight general managers this week revealed a landscape where competitive teams are eager to get a crack at a bevy of Bengals veterans, but with skepticism about whether the team will actually made trades.

Owner Mike Brown is decidedly old-school, and this franchise has by and large not been involved with the more recent trend of significant trades going on around the league in recent years (Khalil Mack, Amari Cooper, Odell Beckham, Jr., to name a few). However, some GMs I spoke to believe it's possible the Bengals move a few players and they will be fielding calls for a core of key players in the coming weeks, sources said, with receiver A.J. Green the primary target.

The Bengals, 0-4 and getting overwhelmed most weeks, have a rookie head coach who is going to need time to turn the franchise around and, as a franchise that has not often been among the highest-spending in the NFL, some GMs believe it is at least possible they are open to moving salaries of players who will not be on the Bengals' roster by the time the franchise (6-14 in its last 20 games) does turn around. They have the most overt trade options ahead of the Week 9 deadline -- though again, doubts remains as to whether they will embrace it.

"If they wanted to, and they did this right, they could be right there with the Dolphins and Raiders when it comes to 1, 2, and 3s in the next few drafts," one GM said of a potential Bengals rebuild.

"We've gone over the roster and the contracts," another GM said. "It is begging for trades, but I'm not sure they'll seriously consider it. That's not how Mike Brown operates."

Rival general managers I spoke to agreed that the Bengals could get a first-round pick for Green, 31, if the acquiring team was able to negotiate a new deal for him and if Green returns from his foot injury soon. It is highly unlikely that Green signs an extension with the Bengals, I'm told. League sources said the Saints and Patriots are among the teams most deeply looking for pass catching help, and both would have interest in oft-injured tight end Tyler Eifert as well, who is making just $1 million this season.

Elite defensive tackle Geno Atkins, 31, is coveted and has a very team-friendly deal, signed through 2022 with the guaranteed money already paid out. Carlos Dunlap, 30, is signed through 2020, makes just $3.1 million this season and has caught the attention of a slew of general managers desperate to upgrade their pass rush. If tackle Cordy Glenn is healthy they Bengals might be able to move that $7.2 million contract to a contender in need, with offensive line such an issue around the league. Teams are wondering if the Bengals will sign corner William Jackson to a big extension in 2020 after already paying big for Dre Kirkpatrick, and intend to inquire about them as well, sources said.

And Andy Dalton, who is signed through 2020 ($17.5 million next season) has long been viewed as a potential trade chip by other front offices, though any movement there is more likely after the season, given the complexities of the quarterback position and the nuance of systems and schemes.

By trading Green, Atkins and Dunlap, the small-market team with sagging attendance could save roughly $13 million alone in the second half of the season. History would indicate this would be an unusual step for the Bengals, but they will also have more inquiries and opportunities than ever before the reshape the team for the future on the fly.

After facing the winless Cardinals on Sunday, the Bengals get the Ravens, Jaguars and Rams before the trade deadline, with the likelihood of any sort of reversal of fortune remote at best.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Bengals have built-in excuses abound: No Cordy Glenn and no Jonah Williams torpedoed the offense and the defense is asked to do too much. They think they are only a few players away and will be a solid competitor, which is completely false.

My only hope is that the completely empty stands sends a message for change, as it did in the pre-Lewis era.

Only I seriously doubt they ever get fans back at this point (to purchase season tickets). The in-home experience is just better and no cost, no traffic, no assholes, and better food.

Go ahead and call me old, but it simply isn't worth it to me.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
They won't trade any of those guys, but what can the Bengals realistically get for each of those guys?

I don't think Dunlap would get anything more than a 4th rounder. Atkins could get a 3rd or maybe a 2nd at the most. If it weren't for Green's recent injury history, he could get us a first but that won't happen now.
Reply/Quote
The Green Dalton era is over. A lot of fans haven't embraced it yet, has MB ?

I'd love to see this team trade away AJ, Dalton, Geno, Carlos, Kirkpatrick, Glenn and others. For one I'd like to see AJ, Geno and some of them have a chance at winning somewhere, a chance they don't have here. Others I just wanna see them and their overpaid contracts gone.

The question is will MB do it ? The answer is highly unlikely
Reply/Quote
Ok, I just read the second article that says they could probably get a 1st for Green. I disagree, but what do I know? I will say this, if anyone wants Cordy Glenn and is willing to part with a 3rd rounder, we should do it immediately.
Reply/Quote
Probably makes more sense to talk about the kind of comp pick we get when AJ sits out all year and he leave in FA. I can't see the future, though.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 10:55 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The Green Dalton era is over. A lot of fans haven't embraced it yet, has MB ?

I'd love to see this team trade away AJ, Dalton, Geno, Carlos, Kirkpatrick, Glenn and others. For one I'd like to see AJ, Geno and some of them have a chance at winning somewhere, a chance they don't have here. Others I just wanna see them and their overpaid contracts gone.

The question is will MB do it ? The answer is highly unlikely

Exactly. Whatever teams Green/Atkins/Dunlap and even Dalton go to, I will be pulling for (unless playing the Bengals). I really would like Green to get a ring. Just wish it was as a Bengal. 
Reply/Quote
the Bengals get the Ravens, Jaguars and Rams before the trade deadline,

It's gonna get good pretty soon.
Reply/Quote
Its a no brainer to trade AJ, Geno, and a couple of others for draft picks. They aren't going to win anything with them anyways anytime soon. And to be honest, they arent good enough anymore to be that much of a difference maker to win in the postseason, other than maybe AJ if he was fully 100%.

But nope, the Browns operate with their inbred business model.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I question that the trade value for our players would be as high as that article might lead you to believe, but we need all of the picks we can get. If we hang onto these guys until they either walk away or the wheels come off and try to rebuild with only our normal allotment of draft picks, we will be taking the time machine back to the 90’s.
Reply/Quote
Honestly, I would let today’s performance decide. If the Bengals poop the bed against the hapless Cardinals it’s time to put every established player from the Marvin Lewis era — Green, Dalton, Atkins, Dunlap, Kirkpatrick, Mixon, Bernard, Vigil, Eifert, Huber, and Jackson — on the trading block and just blow the whole team up.

Start over.

Let Zac Taylor, Brian Callahan, and Lou Anarumo pick the players they want. The Bengals may well have to roll with two rookies as leaders after the trade deadline — Ryan Finley on offense and Germaine Pratt on defense — until they grow into the roles into which they have already been drafted.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 12:27 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Honestly, I would let today’s performance decide. If the Bengals poop the bed against the hapless Cardinals it’s time to put every established player from the Marvin Lewis era — Green, Dalton, Atkins, Dunlap, Kirkpatrick, Mixon, Bernard, Vigil, Eifert, Huber, and Jackson — on the trading block and just blow the whole team up.

Start over.

Let Zac Taylor, Brian Callahan, and Lou Anarumo pick the players they want. The Bengals may well have to roll with two rookies as leaders after the trade deadline — Ryan Finley on offense and Germaine Pratt on defense — until they grow into the roles into which they have already been drafted.

I agree with this.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Here’s the thing. When we have reports like this swirling around and other GMs/Front offices saying that these are moves that they would make to turn this team around it only adds fuel to Mike Brown’s fire to keep running them the way he feels is best. He’s not one to take advice from anyone outside of his inner circle which include basically his family and Duke. Mike Brown will continue to run this team how ever he feels like is best to him and he won’t have any one outside the team to tell him otherwise. The dude is a ***** relic and it’s embarrassing that we have to suffer him for probably another 5-10 years. Don’t buy the talk that he’s gradually handing things over to Katie and Troy, he’s still the one pulling the strings and cashing the checks. Either way Katie and Troy are probably just going to be clones of the man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 12:23 PM)HuDey Wrote: I question that the trade value for our players would be as high as that article might lead you to believe, but we need all of the picks we can get. If we hang onto these guys until they either walk away or the wheels come off and try to rebuild with only our normal allotment of draft picks, we will be taking the time machine back to the 90’s.

I could see AJ getting a 1st rounder out of, but only to a playoff caliber team that wants to win now and if AJ agrees to a new deal when he arrives. Even then they have to be desperate for a WR. But a 2nd, I can see from a playoff team.

Geno could get a 1st, but again for a playoff team. Probably more of a couple of picks like a 2nd and 3rd over next two drafts.

For non-playoff teams, I dont see how AJ nor Geno would get a 1st round, as no one else would be worth that from the Bengals.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Let’s assume what Cris Collinsworth said in the past and what Zac Taylor is saying now are both true: Mike Brown wants to win. Now I happen to agree because I also believe Mike Brown wants to win. Unfortunately he hasn’t the first clue how to do this.

This isn’t 1959 in Cleveland. This isn’t even 1989 in Cincinnati. Every team the great Paul Brown touched — Massillon High School, Ohio State, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Baltimore — became winners. His son didn’t learn a thing from this. Mike Brown might have been the starting quarterback at Dartmouth and went to law school at Harvard but having a high IQ doesn't mean you can’t be stubborn.

It’s okay to mess up, erase, and start over.
Reply/Quote
1.) We're the youngest roster right now; you need veterans to lead the team in the lockeroom
2.) Rebuilds can happen overnight Especially with a tier 1 3T, Teir 1 #1 WR, and Teir 2 DE.
3.) We should be shreading bad talent like Preston Brown, Kirkpatrick, Hart, and Webb instead of trading Elite pieces like Atkins and Gree.
4.) Why not sign a good RT and a good LB in the off-season along with resigning Hopkins & Green.
5.) Two names the Bengals should trade Billings (were probably not going to resign him & we have guys ready to fill in for him) & Eifert .
6.) We can get draft capital back if we trade our first pick & Dalton in the off-season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
[Image: tumblr_mp4thkJtJF1qaj99uo1_1280.jpg]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 12:02 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Its a no brainer to trade AJ, Geno, and a couple of others for draft picks. They aren't going to win anything with them anyways anytime soon. And to be honest, they arent good enough anymore to be that much of a difference maker to win in the postseason, other than maybe AJ if he was fully 100%.

But nope, the Browns operate with their inbred business model.

Exactly, the only teams that would benefit from a quality aged player are those that have a good team already in the first place needing that 1 extra "push player" to get them over the top of their adversaries.
Reply/Quote
Blow this shit sky high.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
Blow this Joint
Reply/Quote