Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
First Take says Bengals will ruin Joe Burrow
(01-15-2020, 01:34 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Can’t stand Stephen A but he’s right. Mike Brown is a terrible owner and the Bengals are a bad organization. We’ll see how serious the Bengals are about competing the next few seasons with the team they put around Burrow.

This. None of what Stephen A. said is wrong. We all know it. Mike Brown is inept, his kids are inept, and the front office is the worst in all of professional sports save maybe the Knicks. The Brown family are an embarrassment, period. Shooting the messenger does not change that. The only hope is that Katie runs it better after Mike passes, because we all know they aren’t selling.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 10:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's a bit of a historical rewrite. Palmer had a team that was a legitimate contender for the Super Bowl the season Pissburgh took his knee out. Palmer was not the same guy for years after that. 

Don’t wanna make this a Palmer thread but I felt the team wasn’t the same after 05 either. The defense was bad in 05 and relied on turnovers and benefiting from a high powered offense. There best defensive player Odell Thurman was suspended multiple times after 05 and ultimately banned from the league. Pollack breaks his neck in week 2 of 2006 and never plays again. That’s there 1st and 2nd round pick in the 2005 draft already gone. There 3rd round pick Chris Henry would be suspended multiple times throughout his career. The offensive line fell apart Jones and Braham both had career ending injuries , Anderson got old and Steinbach left for the Browns in free agency. Rudi got old and Chris Perry who was a 1st round pick was injured his whole career.
Reply/Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcrS-mF0Xhs

"Cincinnati is gonna hate me."

Yep, definitely sounds like a guy that is totally unwilling to play here.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:45 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: The fans didnt do anything, the organization however took a generational talent with the first pick and then proceeded to let him waste away here.

So an DL rolling his knee and then an elbow injury had nothing to do with it?  Okay thanks for clarifying that.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 12:54 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote:

Seems to be a pretty common take I'm seeing from a lot of people in the national media. Can't say it's surprising though, and honestly I agree with what they're saying. Just have to hope Burrow can overcome.

really that should be the take of any team with the #1 overall pick... especially those teams that get it more than once in a decade.
Reply/Quote
I hope Joe can succeed as a Bengal. Stephen A has been wrong before so I would not put too much faith in his statements. Especially, if we resign AJ Green and have our receiving core back next year.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 11:33 AM)Big Boss Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWq7NLhCc5k

"Cincinnati is gonna hate me."

Yep, definitely sounds like a guy that is totally unwilling to play here.

Huh? I just watched that entire clip the only mention of Cincinnati was UC...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Stephen A. Smith has some valid points regarding ownership, but it's not like the QBs have been terrible.
Palmer and Dalton had fine careers in Cincinnati. They also both had quality offensive weapons and OL during the years they competed for playoff contention.

Will they get an organization that tries to go "all-in" for them by going to get those 1-2 elite FAs once they feel it's their window to contend? Previous history has indicated no to the extent that many fans and outsiders would have liked to see, but the ownership does feel they are adding adequate pieces to put together a solid enough team.

One example in recent years is the Bengals drafting many OL in the first two rounds. Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price, and Jonah Williams. The problems have been that they have gone after players with clear limitations (verdict still out on Williams but some criticized his length) and the coaching staff was never able to develop them into what they thought they'd become. But they did try to get players to improve the team.

When I think of ruining QBs, I think of the Browns or Raiders.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 12:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Stephen A. Smith has some valid points regarding ownership, but it's not like the QBs have been terrible.
Palmer and Dalton had fine careers in Cincinnati. They also both had quality offensive weapons and OL during the years they competed for playoff contention.

Will they get an organization that tries to go "all-in" for them by going to get those 1-2 elite FAs once they feel it's their window to contend? Previous history has indicated no to the extent that many fans and outsiders would have liked to see, but the ownership does feel they are adding adequate pieces to put together a solid enough team.

One example in recent years is the Bengals drafting many OL in the first two rounds. Ogbuehi, Fisher, Price, and Jonah Williams. The problems have been that they have gone after players with clear limitations (verdict still out on Williams but some criticized his length) and the coaching staff was never able to develop them into what they thought they'd become. But they did try to get players to improve the team.

When I think of ruining QBs, I think of the Browns or Raiders.

Yeah, no team ruins QB’s like Cleveland. How many have they had since we drafted Palmer? 20?

Yet I don’t remember all this bs when Mayfield was drafted.

Reply/Quote
In this case I actually agree with Stephen A Racist, the Bengals are a pitiful organization run by a pack of clueless billionaire hillbillies. Though I can’t help but wonder if Joe Burrow was black would Stephen A completely change his tune and label Joe as someone who could save a franchise even as sorry as the Bengals Whatever

We can only hope the front office learned from the Palmer debacle and actually gives Burrow the help he needs to succeed
Reply/Quote
I'm pretty sure there are a lot of compilation videos and articles highlighting Smiths massive amount of completely wrong predictions, and the plethora of stupid things he has said over the years. Also plenty of stuff about his emotional meltdowns.

He is not on ESPN because he's a real sports reporter. He's there to add the Jerry Springer factor. ESPN went all in on drama, culture and politics. Steven Smith, Skip Bayless and Max Headroom lead the way in that department. They are/were there to stir the pot and be divisive, not to report factual news or even offer a real educated opinion.
Reply/Quote
So I don't remember when the Cubs went 100 years without winning a world series that the pundits thought Baez or Bryant belonged elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 12:12 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Huh? I just watched that entire clip the only mention of Cincinnati was UC...

Sorry, here's the full interview:

They talk about which food is better - Louisiana or Ohio - and Skyline gets brought up.  Burrow says he hates Skyline and that Cincinnati is going to hate him.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals will ruin Palmer. Remember that narrative? Didn't happen and he was on his way to being a star in the league, the 3rd best QB in league behind Brady and Manning. Then the injuries. And he had a great O-line.

The Bengals will ruin Dalton. All he did was take them to the playoffs a bunch of times. Had a very good career for a 2nd round pick.

Now, I may be stupid, but whenever Mike Brown drafts a franchise QB, he makes damn sure he has the offense in place to support him. I expect no less this time around. Fortunately a bunch of pieces are already here:

Jonah, Hopkins, Mixon, Gio, AJ, Boyd, Ross and Ozumah are a great start. I'm actually not very concerned about the offense if everyone stays healthy. Throw in some guys that could make a decent leap in year 2 - Fred Johnson and Michael Jordan and the line really just needs 1-2 other soldi contributors.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 01:18 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The Bengals will ruin Palmer. Remember that narrative? Didn't happen and he was on his way to being a star in the league, the 3rd best QB in league behind Brady and Manning. Then the injuries. And he had a great O-line.

The Bengals will ruin Dalton. All he did was take them to the playoffs a bunch of times. Had a very good career for a 2nd round pick.

Now, I may be stupid, but whenever Mike Brown drafts a franchise QB, he makes damn sure he has the offense in place to support him. I expect no less this time around. Fortunately a bunch of pieces are already here:

Jonah, Hopkins, Mixon, Gio, AJ, Boyd, Ross and Ozumah are a great start. I'm actually not very concerned about the offense if everyone stays healthy. Throw in some guys that could make a decent leap in year 2 - Fred Johnson and Michael Jordan and the line really just needs 1-2 other soldi contributors.

You had me until Ross...

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 10:47 AM)jason Wrote: First Take ruined ESPN...
Nah losing the NFL Sunday night package did and now they take out there frustration on the NFL in a passive aggressive way because of it.  They have the worst NFL package amongst the networks and there pissy about it. 
Also Trump getting elected + the whole Kap thing hurt them because their stupid employees wanted to feel important so they talked about politics constantly. 
Also Cord Cutting.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 01:22 PM)J24 Wrote: Nah losing the NFL Sunday night package did and now they take out there frustration on the NFL in a passive aggressive way because of it.  They have the worst NFL package amongst the networks and there pissy about it. 
Also Trump getting elected + the whole Kap thing hurt them because their stupid employees wanted to feel important so they talked about politics constantly. 
Also Cord Cutting.

You forgot Booger McFarland....
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 01:05 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Sorry, here's the full interview:

They talk about which food is better - Louisiana or Ohio - and Skyline gets brought up.  Burrow says he hates Skyline and that Cincinnati is going to hate him.

Actual subject starts at 6:57 for the lazy ones [Image: tongue.png] 

(01-15-2020, 01:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You had me until Ross...

I actually was impressed with Ross when they played the Seahawks in game 1. Up until that point, I was a Seahawks fan first and NFL fan second. But then that changed, I started keeping up with the Bengals since that game because I actually saw potential with your team. And after all the Burrow buzz and potential moves this team could make to turn next season around, I'm a Seahawks fan first, Bengals fan second, and NFL fan third. In fact, I'll be pre-ordering Burrow's jersey as soon as he gets drafted.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 01:22 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You had me until Ross...

Why?  When he's been on the field he's been able to score some TDs.  
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 01:00 PM)Goalpost Wrote: So I don't remember when the Cubs went 100 years without winning a world series that the pundits thought Baez or Bryant belonged elsewhere.

That's probably because when they had Baez and Bryant they hired the most sought-after GM in baseball and went from having a string of has-been and never was managers to hiring the top manager before going all-in with their home-grown prospects and broke the bank to bring in high-priced free agents. Even after doing all that plenty of people were quick to say that no matter what the Cubs do they'll never ever win the WS because they are the Cubs.

When the Bengals show a fraction of that initiative I'll be ready to see them break their drought. 
Reply/Quote