Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
First Take says Bengals will ruin Joe Burrow
I almost hope that Burrow has his "Palmer moment" before his career starts.  He should just come out and threaten to not play for this organization if they don't have a real GM and a real HC.  He should request a coherent strategy aside from going .500 and pretending that they're "competitive."  I doubt that he'd pull an Eli Manning, and don't think that I'd agree with him pulling an actual holdout, but he should show some subordinate executivism or whatever you want to call it.  Everyone seems to get the message aside from those at the top.  They deserve a little humble pie to accompany their last place record and longest playoff win dearth.
Reply/Quote
Hate to say it but much of what they are saying is true. I will say this, with a franchise QB, I think this team can become relevant and have some success. Whether they ever figure it out and make a legit run at the SB is up for debate. I hope they can get back to the early part of last decade when they were drafting extremely well.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:45 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: The fans didnt do anything, the organization however took a generational talent with the first pick and then proceeded to let him waste away here.

This is nonsense.
Reply/Quote
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Steven A Smith is the Morton Downey Junior of sports talk.
Reply/Quote
We didn't waste Carson Palmer, we actually surrounded Carson Palmer with all the talent he should have needed to be successful. When he left here he was still in his prime and he didn't find much more success than he found here. In his later years here he was as much of the problem as anyone else, in fact he was one of the reason we brought TO here in the first place. In reality Palmer just wasn't the "generational" talent everyone wanted him to be, and that happens. Outside of one outlier year in 05 his completion percentage never exceeded 65% with only one other season over 64% (Career 62% completion percentage). His TD to INT ratio was only 1.57 which is pretty pedestrian.

Overall he was a good NFL QB but we juiced him up bit to think he was more than that, in reality he's Joe Flacco not some generational talent. Maybe Joe Burrow will end up the same, or maybe he can be the generational talent we want. I can say this, good players make good organizations. When you win people think you're a good organization when you don't they think you are bad. When we start winning again the narrative will change like it often does.
Reply/Quote
I believe they are all trying to get him to refuse to come here so he can go play for a franchise they like.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 05:25 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Hate to say it but much of what they are saying is true. I will say this, with a franchise QB, I think this team can become relevant and have some success.

If you define "success" as selling tickets and jerseys, you're absolutely right. 

Don't get me wrong: I am happy the Bengals will draft Joe Burrow.  He's talented, a good leader, and he's an immediate upgrade at quarterback.  I fear Zac Taylor will not build an offense around his capabilities nor build a defense which will hold opponents to a reasonable number of points per game.

There's been lots of talk about Carson Palmer on this thread and, yes, I see many similarities between Joe Burrow and Carson Palmer.  Let's go back to 2005 when the Cincinnati offense was among the best in the league.  The 2005 defense was ranked 24th overall.  No bueno.  The offense was good enough to overcome a leaky defense against teams with losing records but the Bengals still didn't beat many teams with winning records that year.

Joe Burrow was amazing at LSU in 2019 and I feel confident his abilities will translate to the NFL.  That's never a sure thing with any quarterback.  Mike Brown, Duke Tobin, and Zac Taylor need to create a cohesive team around him.   

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I don't care much for Smith and his antics but a lot of what he says here isn't wrong. Just gotta hope MB finally changes.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 09:22 AM)Au165 Wrote: We didn't waste Carson Palmer, we actually surrounded Carson Palmer with all the talent he should have needed to be successful. When he left here he was still in his prime and he didn't find much more success than he found here. In his later years here he was as much of the problem as anyone else, in fact he was one of the reason we brought TO here in the first place. In reality Palmer just wasn't the "generational" talent everyone wanted him to be, and that happens. Outside of one outlier year in 05 his completion percentage never exceeded 65% with only one other season over 64% (Career 62% completion percentage). His TD to INT ratio was only 1.57 which is pretty pedestrian.

Overall he was a good NFL QB but we juiced him up bit to think he was more than that, in reality he's Joe Flacco not some generational talent. Maybe Joe Burrow will end up the same, or maybe he can be the generational talent we want. I can say this, good players make good organizations. When you win people think you're a good organization when you don't they think you are bad. When we start winning again the narrative will change like it often does.

Oh, if only he was Joseph FLacco, we'd have a superbowl win! Lol
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 02:45 AM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: The fans didnt do anything, the organization however took a generational talent with the first pick and then proceeded to let him waste away here.

That's a bit of a historical rewrite. Palmer had a team that was a legitimate contender for the Super Bowl the season Pissburgh took his knee out. Palmer was not the same guy for years after that. 
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 09:31 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If you define "success" as selling tickets and jerseys, you're absolutely right. 

Don't get me wrong: I am happy the Bengals will draft Joe Burrow.  He's talented, a good leader, and he's an immediate upgrade at quarterback.  I fear Zac Taylor will not build an offense around his capabilities nor build a defense which will hold opponents to a reasonable number of points per game.

There's been lots of talk about Carson Palmer on this thread and, yes, I see many similarities between Joe Burrow and Carson Palmer.  Let's go back to 2005 when the Cincinnati offense was among the best in the league.  The 2005 defense was ranked 24th overall.  No bueno.  The offense was good enough to overcome a leaky defense against teams with losing records but the Bengals still didn't beat many teams with winning records that year.

Joe Burrow was amazing at LSU in 2019 and I feel confident his abilities will translate to the NFL.  That's never a sure thing with any quarterback.  Mike Brown, Duke Tobin, and Zac Taylor need to create a cohesive team around him.   

Yes, it would be really nice if after drafting Burrow, Taylor comes out and says exactly that: "We have a generational talent at QB and we need to create a cohesive team around him."

Who knows if Mixon and others get jealous, but Burrow is the engineer. Andy was/is not a generational talent, he can admit that himself.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 10:38 AM)Sled21 Wrote: That's a bit of a historical rewrite. Palmer had a team that was a legitimate contender for the Super Bowl the season Pissburgh took his knee out. Palmer was not the same guy for years after that. 

Dammit, the only 2 things that come to mind when I hear Palmer are the 50 yard bomb to Henry with the simultaneous hit in the endzone, and all the pick 6s he left his career with here.
Reply/Quote
First Take ruined ESPN...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
On Get up right now the host and panel are telling Burrow that he should refuse to sign with Cincinnati. The Salt levels are so high.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 10:59 AM)Okeana Wrote: On Get up right now the host and panel are telling Burrow that he should refuse to sign with Cincinnati.  The Salt levels are so high.

And do what?

Of the teams picking top 5, I'd think the Bengals were the most player friendly. Out of the next 5, I guess the Chargers would be a good spot... but damn... they had as many good teams that went nowhere as we did. 

What are they wanting, Burrow to hold out for the Colts? The Pats? The colts are crap and the Pats aren't anywhere high enough for Burrow.
Reply/Quote
the NFL will do anything in its power to try to get burrow to go to the patriots or steelers or cowboys.

the NFL has a narrative to fulfill.
Reply/Quote
BREAKING: Top draft prospect goes to worst-performing team. World stunned.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
This actually pissed me off. SAS showed some ignorance regarding the city. We have THREE professional teams, he mentioned UC basketball and not Xavier, and the "cheap" narrative is so played out. I don't agree WHERE ownership spends it's money all of the time, but the days of tiny towels and drink machines the players have to pay for have been gone for awhile now. Yet, the "cheap" narrative continues.

F*&^ that guy.
Reply/Quote
Meh, those two are the worst in sports commentating maybe of all time. I tuned them out years ago. They act like teenage girls half the time. Just cant imagine the emotional meltdowns these gals have behind the scenes in real life over lame stuff. I just cant take either one of them seriously about anything even when they make sense.
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 01:34 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Can’t stand Stephen A but he’s right. Mike Brown is a terrible owner and the Bengals are a bad organization. We’ll see how  serious the Bengals are about competing the next few seasons with the team they put around Burrow.

Dead on

:andy: :andy: :andy:
Reply/Quote