Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Fun thread on obscure Bengals players
All my Bengals brethren, we've suffered through another excruciating season and the long playoff win drought continues on.  I know many of us have reached the point where we've almost given up on the Bengals (I'm not talking about for this year, but in general), but I want to cheer you guys up and let you know that there will be light at the end of the tunnel.  While it may not feel that way, the team is on an upward arc (what feels like a frustratingly slow climb, I'm sure), but if we hang on for another year (hopefully we have a new coach in 2018), we will start seeing new heights.  This is not a bash Marvin thread nor is it meant to disrespect him, as I truly appreciate what he has done for the franchise coming off the abominable 90's.  As has been well documented in this forum in countless threads, the nightmare of the 90s, has slowly transitioned with the help of Marvin, into the respectable, fun at times, but frustrating 00's and plateauing early teens.  In fact, since the advent of Mike Brown's leadership of the Bengals and likely in spite of him, you could say that the Bengals franchise has been on the developmental arc of a newborn (relative to the rest of the league), slowly emerging into the awkward  teenage years, and in the last few years, growing into the adolescent and early adult years.  I encourage all of us to hold on to hope, for I do believe in the next few years the franchise will be rounding into form into its prime adult years.  

Ok, with that said, the real point of this thread.  I want to make a fun thread for all of us where we can delve into our memory banks and retrieve a small piece of obscure Bengals history.  The point of this exercise is to provide ourselves with a perspective to see that the franchise is on an upward arc and will reach unseen heights, even though in the frustration of this year, it might be hard to see at the moment.  Anyway, so here is the point.  In this thread let's see how many obscure former Bengals players' names we can think of and write down no more than two names per poster ( I'd like to give many posters a chance to participate), until at least a couple days have gone by, and at that point if certain players' names haven't been mentioned anyone can feel free to post as many player names as they want.  So, the goal is to name starting somewhere in the 90s, Bengals players who were not stars and who most of us have forgotten ever existed, except if we were reminded by hearing their names again.  So this would exclude names like Chad Johnson, Corey Dillon, Pickens, Blake etc. I think after we've named all the obscure names, many of us will appreciate where we are in Bengals franchise history at the moment as we head into the new year.

So to start off, I will name two:  Marco Battaglia and Kevin Kaesviharn.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Rodgers Beckett and Ron Dugans

Whodeythinkgon'beatdemBengals?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Chinedume Ndukwe and Antonio Chatman
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 02:41 PM)jason Wrote: Rodgers Beckett and Ron Dugans

Whodeythinkgon'beatdemBengals?

Wow, nice find. I remember the name, but nothing else about Beckett.  What position did he play?

(12-28-2016, 02:42 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Chinedume Ndukwe and Antonio Chatman

Yup this is the point of this thread.  I would not have remembered this guy until you reminded me.  But he was a decent 3rd or 4th WR if I remember correctly.
Reply/Quote
Ifeanyi Ohalete
Kim Herring
Reply/Quote
This thread isn't fun, at all.

It brings back too many painful memories of when those guys were the best that we had to root for.. Hilarious

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 03:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This thread isn't fun, at all.

It brings back too many painful memories of when those guys were the best that we had to root for.. Hilarious

Ah, Sunset, I think you're subconsciously getting to the point of this thread if you adjust your perspective  Wink .  If you remember those days, surely you will see the nightmare is slowly turning into a slow but surely to be bright day.  The last few years have brought so many stars and decent players that the 90s are but a distant memory.  At least that's what I tell myself.  People do tell me that I'm an eternal optimist, wonder where they get that?   Hmm
Reply/Quote
Craig Yeast

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Who was the pretty boy linebacker (I think?) with the long, flowing brown hair?

EDIT: it was Caleb Miller. The man who graced the cover of sports illustrated while he laid out Hines Ward back in 06.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 02:56 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Wow, nice find. I remember the name, but nothing else about Beckett.  What position did he play?

Yup this is the point of this thread.  I would not have remembered this guy until you reminded me.  But he was a decent 3rd or 4th WR if I remember correctly.
Beckett was a safety Marvin's first year or so. I think he came from the Chargers.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Keiwan Ratliff, Steve Foley, Danny Farmer, and every TE from 1990 - Jermaine Gresham.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 04:13 PM)jason Wrote: Keiwan Ratliff

(12-28-2016, 04:13 PM)jason Wrote: Steve Foley

(12-28-2016, 04:14 PM)jason Wrote: Danny Farmer ya'll !!!

(12-28-2016, 04:14 PM)jason Wrote: Every TE from 1990 - Jermaine Gresham.

While I appreciate the effort and spirit, we're restricted to two names per poster until we've reached two days or so.  I would like more people to participate, otherwise I would have started the thread with 10 names or more myself.  I know we've had more than a hundred views with only 10 posts or so, but would like this thread to breathe a while before previous posters start filling in more names.  
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 04:20 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: While I appreciate the effort and spirit, we're restricted to two names per poster until we've reached two days or so.  I would like more people to participate, otherwise I would have started the thread with 10 names or more myself.  I know we've had more than a hundred views with only 10 posts or so, but would like this thread to breathe a while before previous posters start filling in more names.  
I got lost on a stroll down memory lane....

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Deltha O'Neal and Tory James:  Brett Favre threw five interceptions against them in 2005.
Reply/Quote
Dennis Roland

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Melvin Tuten, Steve Tovar.
Reply/Quote
Dan Wilkinson
Ashley Ambrose
Reply/Quote
Johnny sears, Marcus Wilkins

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
[Image: Storer50_1.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2016, 04:13 PM)jason Wrote: Every TE from 1990 - Jermaine Gresham.

I wouldn't say Tony McGee and Reggie Kelly are obscure. McGee may be our best TE ever.

Travis Dorsch and Eric Bieniemy.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Bengals_draft_history

If any of y'all are at a loss for names of some obscure players, this is your gold mine..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote