Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Fun thread on obscure Bengals players
Erik Wilhelm - the Bengals other blond southpaw QB, who was Boomer's backup for a couple of years.

Tom Dinkle - LB who also worked for WLW, and who's wife went to jail for having sex with an underage boy. 

David Grant - the NT that took over after Krumrie broke his leg in the SB, and played fairly well the rest of the game.
Reply/Quote
Jordan Palmer...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
How about Dennis Weathersby?

He was shot right before the draft when he was mistaken for a gang member. Then, he was in a car wreck the following year, that put him in a coma for a couple of weeks.
Reply/Quote
Remember 2007 when Dhani Jones came in and wound up being like the best player on the defense? Shows you just how much improvement has occurred on that side of the ball.
Reply/Quote
Michael Westbrook
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 01:28 PM)masterpanthera_t Wrote: Very nice.  Keep 'em comin' folks.  

I'm going to open it up for any and all names now.  

Here's a few from me:  John Copeland, Brandon Ghee, James Francis

Not sure if some of these count:
Tremain Mack, Armon Binns, Dez Briscoe, Brandon Bennett, Harold Green

I don't think Copeland or Francis can be considered obscure.  They both played for a decade or so.  Both were first round picks.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 08:18 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Brad St Louis.   Ten year vet played 144 games until we canned him.

I don't think he is obscure lol. He lives on in infamy. 
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 11:24 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Michael Westbrook

The guy who caught the Hail Mary from Slash.  Didn't he have a grand total of one catch as a Bengal?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
From the early 90s late round picks Jack Goff and Hugh Jass. Always my sentimental favs.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Cornelius "Neal" Craig:  Neal was the physical strong safety in the 1970s.  He is also the first Bengal I ever met in person.

Lyle Blackwood:  Free safety alongside Neal Craig.

Bob Trumpy:  Before he was a radio broadcasting legend, he was a talented tight end.

Virgil Carter:  The prototypical NFL quarterback of the 2000s -- only 45 year ago.

Mike Reid:  The original "Piano Man."
Reply/Quote
Leo Barker--took the ball out of Warren Moon's hands in an '88 game for a TD en route to a 28 pt 1st quarter and a 44-21 blowout of the hated Oilers. 

Tom Dinkel--was a beast of a linebacker in the early/mid '80s and one of my favorite players of the pre and early Wyche era. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Does anyone remember the name of that linebacker we signed off the street in 07 when all our linebackers where hurt... He came in played like a boss(for coming in off the street) and tore his Achilles the same game.

oh he played 4 games... or was here for 4
Lemar Marshall
Reply/Quote
The trivia answer that is Kevin Walker. Bo knows him.
Reply/Quote
There was also DeDe "3D" Dorsey. I remember him making some explosive plays out of nowhere every so often on offense. He also had that blocked punt against Arizona.

Although he wasn't obscure overall, Dexter Jackson had some hype coming in as a free agent on defense in 2006. I recall that he was supposed to bring some physicality to the secondary.
Reply/Quote
(12-29-2016, 10:25 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Lance Gunn.  I win.  I only remember because there was some loud mouthed sports guy on some now defunct sports station who wouldn't shut up about him or how awesome his name was during training camp.

And sadly Reinard Wilson.  1st round and as obscure as they come.

They let David Fulcher go because they thought Lance Gunn was going to be the next great safety.

Swing and a miss.
Reply/Quote
John Stofa..... The Bengals First every traded for player.
Reply/Quote
Some "big" names that maybe people forgot spent time in Cincinnati:

Ray Bentley. Signed from the Bills, who just lost their 2nd Super Bowl, and was great (for 3 games before getting hurt which ended his career).

Louis Oliver. Maybe the biggest "Plan B" free agent they signed who was a stud when he was a Dolphin. Didn't replicate his success in Miami.

Danny Stubbs. Led team in sacks with 9 one year. Plus, he's a Jersey kid from my area.

Richmond Webb. Pro-Bowl tackle for the Dolphins ended his career playing for the Bengals for 2 years.

Clyde Simmons. Pro-Bowl defensive end played one year.

Brentson Buckner. DT who signed after playing with the Steelers. Ended up going to San Francisco after leaving Cincinnati and then on to Carolina for a bunch of years. He got better as he got older.
Reply/Quote
Chinedum Ndukwe was always my favorite player. He was ass in coverages but hot damn he was probably the best blitzing safety in the league when he was playing in 08
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2016, 02:00 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Cornelius "Neal" Craig:  Neal was the physical strong safety in the 1970s.  He is also the first Bengal I ever met in person.

Lyle Blackwood:  Free safety alongside Neal Craig.

Bob Trumpy:  Before he was a radio broadcasting legend, he was a talented tight end.

Virgil Carter:  The prototypical NFL quarterback of the 2000s -- only 45 year ago.

Mike Reid:  The original "Piano Man."

Mike Reid was a great player.  Might have been a HOFer had he stuck around.

Reply/Quote
Stanford Jennings.

Not an elite talent by any means, but I always liked the way he handled his business.
Reply/Quote